A2K

Motorist hits cyclist - gets 1 demerit point

Makes the idea of helmet cams even more appealing too - there's no way they can deny or contradict what happened!

Turtle its a great idea for ensuring someone is held accountable for the accident but unfortunately it doesn't stop the accident. I currently don't ride with a camera but can some people chime in and offer their opinion on whether they think drivers behave differently towards you if they see a camera attached to your helmet?

Edited by prizna

Makes the idea of helmet cams even more appealing too - there's no way they can deny or contradict what happened!

You still need someone to interpret what they see.

The obvious implication from a couple of recent Qld examples is that cyclists still aren't seen as road users.

How can that be interpreted as following too closely, that just seems totally wrong.

Has to be more like dangerous driving causing bodily harm or something surely?

Hopefully the more cyclists wear cameras and the more motorists KNOW that some cyclists wear cameras it will make them think twice before doing anything dangerous.

The event notwithstanding...gotta say ....that is a very dodgy piece of road to be riding on. Just a very small stretch but very dangerous for a number if reasons.

Just watched the video & feel sick.

And am just about to jump on my bike & leave the city via similar roads. Now I feel even worse.

There will be more to the storey. For those that know Brisbane the footage begins on breakfast creek road then right onto kingsford smith drive.

You would hope there is more to come. Terrible price of road, but that guy was doing everything right.

How can that be interpreted as following too closely, that just seems totally wrong.

It wasnt. A Sydney morning herald report has the cyclist saying Police finalised the matter before viewing the video or speaking to him.

Poor bastard. Motorists need to be more aware of the consequences of hitting cyclists. People can die. Do they really want to be responsible for the death of another person?

Poor bastard. Motorists need to be more aware of the consequences of hitting cyclists. People can die. Do they really want to be responsible for the death of another person?

They have absolutely no idea. When I had a go at a driver who pulled into the lane I was in one morning, he said "I thought you would have moved over when you saw me change lanes." FFS, we were doing 40km/h+ and there was a concrete gutter 6 inches from my wheel. As I said, they have no idea.

Guest Fatrunner

Like most bike accidents, the cyclist must have some responsibility as to where and when they ride. That looks like usual morning traffic along there which usually includes big trucks. There is a perfectly good pathway on the other side of the road along there.

Like most bike accidents, the cyclist must have some responsibility as to where and when they ride. That looks like usual morning traffic along there which usually includes big trucks. There is a perfectly good pathway on the other side of the road along there.

Where do you ride? In Utopia?

fatrunner I agree with your comment.

daily I see cyclists riding on footsgray road. 3000. use the bike lane yet some still need to ride on a 4 lane freeway.

you can reduce the risk of being hit. sure it might take 5 ,minutes longer to get to work but at least you get there.

Guest Fatrunner

Where do you ride? In Utopia?

No but I used to ride that road every day. Just beyond that there is absolutely no room. There is a cycle path on the other side that is easily accessible and goes to the same place. Awful that the guy got hit but as cyclists you have got to minimise risk. You can see why motorists get the shits when purpose built paths are in place to avoid cars and bikes mixing in narrow or dangerous areas and bikes are on the road. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

No but I used to ride that road every day. Just beyond that there is absolutely no room. There is a cycle path on the other side that is easily accessible and goes to the same place. Awful that the guy got hit but as cyclists you have got to minimise risk. You can see why motorists get the shits when purpose built paths are in place to avoid cars and bikes mixing in narrow or dangerous areas and bikes are on the road. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

That path on the other side of the road is hardly cyclist friendly, add into it a group of people getting off a bus or off a ferry and it is impossibly to negotiate. Also a lot of people run along there, agree it is a safer option but it's hardly a purpose built cycle path.

• Like 1

I don't know this road at all but sure there might be others using the bike path but when did getting to work turn into the World Championships of commuting?

If you want to ride fast go out in an early morning group and ride fast.

If you are riding to work, just ride to work.

I have been watching this girl who rides to work daily on the route I take and she runs lights and takes risks. Well today when I got to Cosco she was on the ground with 2 others with her. She had been hit by a car turning right into the road that leads to cosco. I stopped in case she was from my club (she rides a tri bike) and the guy that was there with her said she was running the red light and didn't make it in time.

Riding to work is riding to work. Not racing.

That path on the other side of the road is hardly cyclist friendly, add into it a group of people getting off a bus or off a ferry and it is impossibly to negotiate. Also a lot of people run along there, agree it is a safer option but it's hardly a purpose built cycle path.

There have also been at least 2 cyclists pushed into the river along that section. I used to ride inbound along there some mornings, and the path is definately not a viable commute during busy times.

this video is horrible...clearly some intent was involved !!

as for this road section...crazy to ride it...I did daily in the late 70s to school each day from New Farm to Toombul...would I ride it now ?? maybe at 4.30am on a sunday only!!

to call the path along the river a "bike" path is hilarious...maybe for MTB ? I still use it whenever riding out that way ... for me that road is not an option.

same as Coro Drive ...Waterworks Rd ...Ipswich Rd etc where we have cyclists riding in peak hour because of their "right" to be there..hope they have PHI cause that will fix everything quicker :smile1:

Yeah Dave I just shake my head at those who choose to ride along Coro drive rather than the bike path. There is no reason to use a road like Coro when there is a perfectly good bike path (used properly and not like the final sprint stage of Le Tour).

As for this incident I feel sorry for the bloke - it does look like there was an element of intent there. But like others I would never ride along that section of road - the last time I did it was at 9am on Sunday morning and was pretty scary. There is just no room along there.

Yeah Dave I just shake my head at those who choose to ride along Coro drive rather than the bike path. There is no reason to use a road like Coro when there is a perfectly good bike path (used properly and not like the final sprint stage of Le Tour).

As for this incident I feel sorry for the bloke - it does look like there was an element of intent there. But like others I would never ride along that section of road - the last time I did it was at 9am on Sunday morning and was pretty scary. There is just no room along there.

Coro drive is a different story all together, specially built bike path right there, with tunnels to take you under the road to the other side if required. Must admit though I have only ever seen people riding there in the early am, never in peak hour traffic.

The video is pretty sad - it seems by the persons nature (I think it was them earlier in the video) they seemed to be staking their claim to the road as largest first, who really knows what goes through their thick heads - the car driver that is

I agree we should minimise risk BUT chasing us onto footpaths is NOT the answer

Collaborative and open discussion involving police, council, roads, motorists bodies and cyclists involving only the intelligent ones who are willing to work on a solution and not throw crap at each other (if they exist in all parties)

Unfortunately the relatively small group of road users in cars, jeeps, trucks etc that are idiots cause massive damage and it is very easy to say "sorry" that was an accident - I am sure it is not intentional to cause injury or death but they are stupid in that they think by staking their claim to roads people are going to listen to that behaviour

It is sad if true about the report with the police etc - the motorists need to understand if they cannot use the vehicle in such a way to avoid an accident then they will have their licence taken away and be fined or potentially put in gaol if is bad enough

Simply waving the finger does not help with no real consequence - the government and council needs to come out and be clear that cyclists have rights and laws protecting them, police need to crack down on rogue vehicles AND cyclists breaking the law

We all have family, these videos are way too common now

These roads mentioned plus many others need clear cycle lanes painted in the short term and a separate bike lane in the long term - the bike lane finishing because there is no room to put it needs to go - ALL major roads need the green lanes even if it restricts a vehicle lane

People will get used to it over time and work out the distance then

I have heard too many stories like this for the week - too many people I know in hospital - it is pathetic it continues - this idea of a "war" is a joke between cyclists and cars - people are legally using a road and should feel safe doing so no matter what vehicle they use

If they do not want us on the road change the damn laws and be done with it - at least people will stop being killed but stop this middle ground where there are laws but they are not fully enforced nor have the right infrastructure to support them

rant over

Edited by bunny
  • Like 2

I don't know this road at all but sure there might be others using the bike path but when did getting to work turn into the World Championships of commuting?

If you want to ride fast go out in an early morning group and ride fast.

If you are riding to work, just ride to work.

I have been watching this girl who rides to work daily on the route I take and she runs lights and takes risks. Well today when I got to Cosco she was on the ground with 2 others with her. She had been hit by a car turning right into the road that leads to cosco. I stopped in case she was from my club (she rides a tri bike) and the guy that was there with her said she was running the red light and didn't make it in time.

Riding to work is riding to work. Not racing.

I blame Strava

So its the same white car that comes within a bees dick and then cleans him up? Sensational policing.

yes. the same car. seems the driver had an axe to grind doesnt it !!!?!

I have lived in Australia for 11 years now and I still do not understand where this animosity between cyclists and drivers comes from. In Dublin, I used to cycle everyday as a means of transport for 10 years and I never encountered this type of behaviour. I am too scared to cycle to work in Sydney...

I still just don't get it.

Anyone know what e outcome ended up being with the original story? Did it end up getting referred for review and was the driver charged with something more serious?

OH FOR ****'S SAKE!

How have we, as a forum filled with people who ride bikes to commute and because we like it even got close to the "The cyclist should have done X, Y or Z". NO! You drive safely. You are in charge of a weapon. They should go to prison for attempted murder.

Every time I go out on my bike on the road somebody pretty much comes close to killing me. I'm a defensive rider so I manage to escape but why the **** should I?

It's disgusting, it's wrong, anyone who drives like that should be punched hard in the neck.

/rant over

Monkie

• Like 2

Should have been more, and doubtless will reduce to 5 1/2 years, but even then, I can't think of a steeper sentence for someone murdering a cyclist. Could it be the start of something?

27 minutes ago, Rocket Salad said:

Here's one in Noosa. It's was as premeditated as it gets. Only got 4 years. See the pic for a short summary of events.

https://m.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/coast-cyclists-ride-for-stephen-small-as-killer-fa/3194886/

IMG_20170704_080321.jpg

If that doesn't deserve something significantly longer in jail I don't know what does.  Hopefully the leniency of the sentence will get appealed but I won't hold my breath.

• Like 1

It's like, as soon is someone is drunk then it's considered they didn't have control of their faculties so can't be completely responsible for their actions. I'm so over that..... start pinging people properly for actions while under the influence (any influence) and maybe, just maybe some will get the message. 

2 hours ago, goughy said:

It's like, as soon is someone is drunk then it's considered they didn't have control of their faculties so can't be completely responsible for their actions. I'm so over that..... start pinging people properly for actions while under the influence (any influence) and maybe, just maybe some will get the message. 

Agree. 

The excuse of "I didn't have control" means shit - When you consider that they had the ability to NOT lose that control in the first place (All they had to do to not lose their control  would be to not imbibe in the first place) - They made a conscious choice to give up control, therefore anything that that do while under the influence should be classed as premeditated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rocket Salad said:

Here's one in Noosa. It's was as premeditated as it gets. Only got 4 years. See the pic for a short summary of events.

https://m.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/coast-cyclists-ride-for-stephen-small-as-killer-fa/3194886/

IMG_20170704_080321.jpg

So whilst they were at the river, police were phoned by concerned onlookers. They then DROVE off, had time to harass (try to kill) a cyclist, fill up with fuel, then kill a cyclist.

The police may have been busy checking for bells on bikes on Hasting St I suppose.

There are not many cops in Noosa. By time they got to the river they would have had to work out what way they went. Where they were going.....Tewantin, Cooroy or Eumundi? It would have been hard to track in that short time frame.