viper30ma

Outback half-ironman - Alice Springs, Australia

JUST ANNOUNCED: APRIL 27, 2014.

The first ever half-ironman in the Northern Territory is going to be held 1,500KM or just under 1,000 miles from the closest major body of water. That's right folks. "The Red Center" is going to put athletes to the test by starting them in a wave form in the outdoor 50 meter pool. I do not know of another half-ironman in the world where the swim is held in a pool, and since the race will most likely be wet-suit legal as the races have been in the past, can you say "PB"?

This is a huge deal for our club. We have grown from a handful of members to over 100 last year. In addition to the growth, many of our members have now competed in half and full ironman events. We sent 10+ individuals to Cairns in 2013 and we'll be having 9 members compete in Ironman Wester Australia in December 2014. But it all started with Tavis Johannsen; someone who left this world way to young but laid the groundwork for triathlon to thrive in central Australia. What until last year was known as the Tavis Johannsen Ultra composed of a 2K swim, 60K ride, and 15K run will now expand to 1.9K swim, 90K ride, and 21.1K run.

I am very interested to hear what people think about doing a half ironman with the swim held in a pool. It is surely going to be a massive event.

http://www.alicespringstriathlonclub.com/

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=583926558312230&id=188506527854237&comment_id=6423603&offset=0&total_comments=4#!/pages/Alice-Springs-Triathlon-Club/188506527854237

Alice Springs Triathlon Club

• Like 1

sorry obvious question - how are you going to keep track of no of laps in the pool ?

1900 m lets say 150m per loop of the pool - that is 12-13 laps of the pool - multiply this by no of competitors - surely someone is going to miss a couple or more ?

Each person has a diff coloured cap in the lane and counters at the end of each lane, you get a tap on the head when you have 2 laps to go - most of my early (80's) tris were in a 25m pool !

Guessing this wont attract a massive crowd so 6 lanes times 8-10 people per wave. Self seeded in the lanes. It can work.

If it goes ahead, I'd be keen for the drive up!

Edit: Oh bugger. Just noticed its the weekend before Port Mac IM. I'm out, as I'm IN for PM. Maybe next time! I like the idea though.

Edited by The Turtle

sorry obvious question - how are you going to keep track of no of laps in the pool ?

1900 m lets say 150m per loop of the pool - that is 12-13 laps of the pool - multiply this by no of competitors - surely someone is going to miss a couple or more ?

Collect a bracelet every 100 metres. Not allowed into T1 until they've counted 19 on your arm.

I was a good friend of Tavis' and his family after he relocated to the Sunshine Coast and know he would have been excited by this development. I regularly see his wife out walking when I am running so will be sure to let her know too.

I swam in that pool on 30th April this year, the last day before winter closing. At 6am it was freaking freezing. It will be a genuine wetsuit swim.

Will the bike go out to the airport and beyond?

If I was doing LC races I'd be in for it without hesitation.

JUST ANNOUNCED: APRIL 27, 2014.

The first ever half-ironman in the Northern Territory is going to be held 1,500KM or just under 1,000 miles from the closest major body of water. That's right folks. "The Red Center" is going to put athletes to the test by starting them in a wave form in the outdoor 50 meter pool. I do not know of another half-ironman in the world where the swim is held in a pool, and since the race will most likely be wet-suit legal as the races have been in the past, can you say "PB"?

This is a huge deal for our club. We have grown from a handful of members to over 100 last year. In addition to the growth, many of our members have now competed in half and full ironman events. We sent 10+ individuals to Cairns in 2013 and we'll be having 9 members compete in Ironman Wester Australia in December 2014. But it all started with Tavis Johannsen; someone who left this world way to young but laid the groundwork for triathlon to thrive in central Australia. What until last year was known as the Tavis Johannsen Ultra composed of a 2K swim, 60K ride, and 15K run will now expand to 1.9K swim, 90K ride, and 21.1K run.

I am very interested to hear what people think about doing a half ironman with the swim held in a pool. It is surely going to be a massive event.

http://www.alicespringstriathlonclub.com/

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=583926558312230&id=188506527854237&comment_id=6423603&offset=0&total_comments=4#!/pages/Alice-Springs-Triathlon-Club/188506527854237

Alice Springs Triathlon Club

I didn't even know Tavis had passed on. He was active & competing when I had my NT/WA stint. Tavis sold me my one and only set of zipp wheels which are still running beautifully 10 years on. Lovely bloke & good athlete. Sad to hear this news but glad his name & legacy lives on in NT triathlon.

A bit off topic.......

I've never swam in a wetty in the pool. I imagine those with fast tumble turns would be slowed down?

A bit off topic.......

I've never swam in a wetty in the pool. I imagine those with fast tumble turns would be slowed down?

You haven't lived then RS.

Cruising through intervals 5sec/100m quicker than normal with less effort. Tumble turns were fine.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Keep a look out over the next few months and the spread the word with more details to follow. My vision is a wave start with 2 people per lane with a different color cap for each of the 2 per lane. Then, volunteers will mark to insure the distance is covered. Because we will only have 8 lanes, we'll have 2 per lane or waves of 16. We'll have the slowest seeded go first (due to safety and traffic concerns).

A race such as this will be unique. It will be similar to Ironman Louiville where the race is a time trial; the swim is not a wave start; you basically jump off a dock and start swimming! I believe we could have at least 1 Australian pro come to this race. If that were, depending on the size of the event (I personally think we could get 100 here), then the fastest time of the day, might not be the first one across the line.

sounds like fun

its great to see a race " outside the square"

we need more races that are different

id be on it for sure but , with it being just before port there is noway we could do it

good luck with it I hope it gets great support

cheers

IP

sounds like fun

its great to see a race " outside the square"

we need more races that are different

id be on it for sure but , with it being just before port there is noway we could do it

good luck with it I hope it gets great support

cheers

IP

What if they held it in Melbourne, would you support the idea then?

• Like 1

Collect a bracelet every 100 metres. Not allowed into T1 until they've counted 19 on your arm.

should give them a pull-buoy every 100m. Now that'd be worth watching

maybe

all depends if it causes traffic koas for thousands of people for very little benefit to the community, and also if it was held in out of the way suburb and was then also an absolute nightmare for out of town supporters to support there loved ones and to move around the course during the event

and of course over priced because of the logistical dramas of doing anything or going anywhere in Melbourne

(lets not mention the weather)

I (and most others except you traffic loving melbernians) don't class IM frankston as "outside the square" or "anything different"

I highly doubt that the outback half ironman will ever be held in melb so they wont have to deal with any of these problems

cheers

IP

Each person has a diff coloured cap in the lane and counters at the end of each lane, you get a tap on the head when you have 2 laps to go - most of my early (80's) tris were in a 25m pool !

Guessing this wont attract a massive crowd so 6 lanes times 8-10 people per wave. Self seeded in the lanes. It can work.

Bracelet collection would be cumbersome.

How about make it more outback NT style - Shoot with a paintball every 100m and then two laps two go is a head shot? :smile1:

I thought they used to do a Half Ironman in the NT years ago. I am sure Horse will be able to confirm. I remember when Rocket was training for it. Said it was one of the best races he had done. But no pool for that one.

Re Swimming in a pool just do it like they do the Boy Charlton Biathlon.

Swim up lane one and back 2 up 3 etc.... You can pass people easy as. Flip turn under the ropes.

Get to the end and get out and back to lane one. repeat to 1900.

You might struggle with the name too.

WTC don't like people using their name.

What if they held it in Melbourne, would you support the idea then?

It wouldn't really be an "outback" event and outside the box then .

I think part of the "outside the box" style is the location!

I'd love to do it - but sadly not the weekend before Port

I had the privilege to participate in a first in the NT - an OD triathlon held in and around the Katherine Gorge in 1988. It was organised by a guy in the local office of the Red Cross and I took some pleasure in beating a team of my immediate subordinates from the RAAF base where I was working at the time.

This led to an invitation to participate in a team event at Kununnarra which included the normal SBR but also a horse riding leg. I did the swim leg in the Ord River dam. We won a weekend at the Cable Bay resort at Broome but had to give it back as, from Katherine, that was a bridge too far.

A bit off topic.......

A bit off topic.......

Nope real quick! I train in mine ( 11.8 m salt chlorine)....just make sure you rinse the wettie in fresh water every time.

Hello everyone and thank you for checking otu this feed.

The Outback Half is now live at https://www.facebook.com/theoutbackhalfalicesprings

Please "Like" our webpage and sign into the 30 second Poll!

We need to hear your opinions so we can make the Inaugural Outback Half a race not to be missed!

Also, proposed course Maps are now available.

Swim: 1.9KM wetsuit legal. Seeded based off of expected 1.9K swim time. Slowest First, Fastest Last. 4 swimmers per lane, 32 per wave. 7 waves = 224 Max Cap of this race.

Cycle: 3 loop course out and back past the airport with propsed Transition 2 on Barrett Drive.

Run: 2 Loop course, aid station every 3KM, half on trails, half on path.