Mr Blonde

Commuting Backpack

Google tells me there are a ton of options - so after recommendations please

Doesn't need to be to big - a change of clothes at most

Comfort is the main priority

Cheers

Rob

I've used a Kathmandu Nucleon 20l for the past 3 years, and it's still going strong. Holds a change of clothes but isn't too big. Can put in a bladder as well if needed (I originally bought it for Trailwalker).

Deuter Brand

"Race Exp Air" Model.

I've ridden up to 3 hours on my back and I never know its there. Its 12 litre with a 3 litre expand section. reflective. fluro yellow rain cover. mesh back so it sits off your back.

One of the best bit of kit I have ever bought (from wiggle 2 years ago post hours of research on product and price). Size would be my only issue. Do you need to carry shoes and a jacket as well?

A good tip is to take what you will carry to a shop and check what size you need.

I use an Ortlieb Waterproof Messenger backpack. I got it after rain soaked through cloth backpacks and stained a couple of shirts.

I've got the big one, so can easily carry work clothes and lunch plus running gear and a towel etc for a swim, when needed. But they have smaller ones. Very visible too - big and red (they come in yellow too) with reflectors on the side.

Deuter Brand

"Race Exp Air" Model.

I've ridden up to 3 hours on my back and I never know its there. Its 12 litre with a 3 litre expand section. reflective. fluro yellow rain cover. mesh back so it sits off your back.

One of the best bit of kit I have ever bought (from wiggle 2 years ago post hours of research on product and price). Size would be my only issue. Do you need to carry shoes and a jacket as well?

A good tip is to take what you will carry to a shop and check what size you need.

+1 great product

Edited by Fader

I use the (older) version of the Mountain Hardware Paladin. I use it for my commute to work, and it's travelled the world with me. Lots of pockets, and a great side-entry for the laptop to get it out in a hurry at the security queue at airports, plus space inside for all the sports' gear.

There's a review of it here (I have the all black one, and have not watched this, so cannot comment on what's said): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_gRbBdKflc

Osprey Talon 11, durable, clings on like a frightened monkey. Very comfy too, I used to use it for very long trail runs with no issue.

Edited by WhoMe

Pretty much anything by Black Wolf. I spent about $70 on the Freestyle 30 at Rebel a few months back and it's been great. Light, solid, lots of adjustment/straps, and can take a bladder if needed.

Bargain for a very functional bit of kit as opposed to the 'cheap' tat at the same price with some global logo/brand on it.

Also a fan of the Deuter Race Exp(s) - they have an open mesh design to keep pack of back and reduce sweat, but also shape and size options.

Pretty much anything by Black Wolf. I spent about $70 on the Freestyle 30 at Rebel a few months back and it's been great. Light, solid, lots of adjustment/straps, and can take a bladder if needed.

Bargain for a very functional bit of kit as opposed to the 'cheap' tat at the same price with some global logo/brand on it.

I have the Black Wolf Messenger bag and its been great. Its got plenty of room and is pretty waterproof too.

I have a Orca waterproof one. Has the drybag top that you fold down. Great for cycling but not the best for running as is a bit big and doesn't have compression straps.

Just means that you can pack all your gear and not worry about if it rains.

Use a Camelbak Rim Runner for running, been a great pack and used for about 6 years

If you wear a suit at work, the Henty Wingman is amazing. http://henty.cc/

Loving mine for business trips as well - allowed as carry-on for Dash8's, whereas the wife's small roller bag that is allowed on the jets gets removed and placed under the plane on those planes.

Deuter Brand

"Race Exp Air" Model.

agreed

Just got the deuter trans alp 25L for commuting. Will fit shirt pants shoes lunch towel no worries. Was worried it might be a bit big though u hardly notice it.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/deuter-trans-alpine-25-backpack-2013/rp-prod88939

I've got that bag but I use it as a raceday bag (regret it slightly as I wish I'd bought the Ogio Endurance 9). It's a great bag but I can't imagine using it for commuting, aren't all the straps and buckles a bit 'busy'?

Deuter Brand

"Race Exp Air" Model.

+1 you'll forget you're wearing it.....which could be embarrassing.

On 07/08/2013 at 8:16 AM, PaperMan said:

I use an Ortlieb Waterproof backpack. I got it after rain soaked through cloth backpacks and stained a couple of shirts.

https://www.gearhunder.com/backpack-with-charger/

I've got the big one, so can easily carry work clothes and lunch plus running gear and a towel etc for a swim, when needed. But they have smaller ones. Very visible too - big and red (they come in yellow too) with reflectors on the side.

Vaude's belt and back net keep me from sweating when I commute, there are thousands of pockets for various things, and it also has a zipper extension function, so I can put it more in the bag . But in the end, because the shoulder strap was not very comfortable, I sent the bag back and upgraded to Osprey Stratus, which met all my expectations and requirements for the large day bag.

I use an Ortlieb Waterproof backpack. I got it after rain soaked through cloth backpacks and stained a couple of shirts.

Vaude's belt and back net keep me from sweating when I commute, there are thousands of pockets for various things, and it also has a zipper extension function, so I can put it more in the bag . But in the end, because the shoulder strap was not very comfortable, I sent the bag back and upgraded to Osprey Stratus, which met all my expectations and requirements for the large day bag.

I run one of those Reflect360 backpack on the commute. Bigger then what you need, i think 30 ltr, but it has the required straps and compartment for carrying gear. You can't miss it when light hits it.