downesy68

Cannondale's Ted King misses cut.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/07/tour-de-france/editorial-kings-7-second-elimination-from-tour-sends-wrong-message_293232

So what do we all think of this? Tour organisers have certainly been known to relax the time cut-offs in the past.

What is to be gained by King (and, for that matter, Geraint Thomas) continuing with such a bad injury? How much help are they really going to give to their teams?

And speaking of power trips, World TT champion, Tony Martin, got fined 2000CHF for having world champ stripes on his TT bike!

FFS, do they expect him to have a special RT bike just go the TTT?

Edited by Donncha

He might not help his team win much, but there's sponsors and his own "brand" that will help be labelled supportive and tough if he continues. Keeps the sponsors and King himself in the limelight a bit more than if he was just riding the bus. I suppose.

He might not help his team win much, but there's sponsors and his own "brand" that will help be labelled supportive and tough if he continues. Keeps the sponsors and King himself in the limelight a bit more than if he was just riding the bus. I suppose.

Probably get more exposure at the pack of the peleton than simlpy riding in the pack - as they say any publicity is good publicity!!

Interesting read from Joe Lindsey.

TL;DR: King couldn't ride his TT bike due to his shoulder, so the rode his roadie + TT bars. Don't think mechanics transferred his responder back from TT bike to road bike, so UCI may not have accurate timing for him. His SRM reports 32:15 and certainly no slower than 32:24, but UCI claim 32:32. If UCI can't prove that he was HD, they should reinstate him.

So, you can wear World Champ stripes on your sleeves and county champs jerseys, but no indication on your bikes?

Interesting read from Joe Lindsey.

TL;DR: King couldn't ride his TT bike due to his shoulder, so the rode his roadie + TT bars. Don't think mechanics transferred his responder back from TT bike to road bike, so UCI may not have accurate timing for him. His SRM reports 32:15 and certainly no slower than 32:24, but UCI claim 32:32. If UCI can't prove that he was HD, they should reinstate him.

I wonder if the TT bike with the transponder on it was on top of the car that was following about 8 seconds behind him?

• Like 1

And speaking of power trips, World TT champion, Tony Martin, got fined 2000CHF for having world champ stripes on his TT bike!

Interesting

Does Bossan Hagen get a fine due to having red and not blue on his TT bike for the TTT bike then?

So, you can wear World Champ stripes on your sleeves and county champs jerseys, but no indication on your bikes?

Not without UCI permission. There are strict rules governing the use of the UCI logos including the world champion bands.

UCI rules 1.3.060 through 1.3.067 apply for world champions and the sanctions for infringements are listed in 1.3.072.

What is to be gained by King (and, for that matter, Geraint Thomas) continuing with such a bad injury? How much help are they really going to give to their teams?

You know all the threads were people make comments relating to people racing IM when injured or sick and often people will say you trained for months and month just go around to make the finish. etc. etc.

Despite being professionals, these guys can still be the same and will battle on because despite being a domestique with a job to do, they still want to reach Paris.

For some the injury is to much or the team/doc says no, for others they will continue if they can.

eg:Evans (fractured elbow), Hoogerland (all cut up after being hit by car and into barbed wire fence), Martin (fractured wrist).

There will be a long list of those who will slog on regardless, because they want if nothing else to reach the finish.

A previous road (or national) World champ can not have the bands on for a TT, and visa versa, a TT champ can't have bands on for road stages.

If they do a special for their bikes, they'll follow the same protocol, but I don't think there is ruling to say they must do for the bike but there will be a rule that says they can't if they are not a world champ in the discipline.

Which the TTT is an odd one now as last year was the first (if not the first, not for a very long tong) world champs for TTT and previous years the TT champs could wear their awarded colours, but not now with a world TTT.

So why isn't there a world TTT jersey issued?

I recall something like it being the riders in the team may not be the ones who actually won the TTT champs (or may have even changed teams) so easier to say no worlds jersey.

Then why not stick to previous years and have world and national champs wear their awarded kit??

yeeep....... I wonder myself.

I think the fine Martin received is embarrassingly ridiculous for professional cycling.

I really hope when Cookson gets in he will address some of the ridiculous rules and the inconsistency that they are applied because of how ridiculous they are..

• Like 1

I wonder if the TT bike with the transponder on it was on top of the car that was following about 8 seconds behind him?

I'm guessing not, as the team car isn't allowed across the finish line. They get directed off course about 200m out.

I'm guessing not, as the team car isn't allowed across the finish line. They get directed off course about 200m out.

True, only buses allowed.

• Like 1

He could have just put a bit of tape over them?

was Crowie riding in a UCI race?

The rainbow bands are UCI trademark / property, and as such they control how they may be used. I'd imagine they would not look kindly at another competitive sport using their trademarks without permission.

Not without UCI permission. There are strict rules governing the use of the UCI logos including the world champion bands.

UCI rules 1.3.060 through 1.3.067 apply for world champions and the sanctions for infringements are listed in 1.3.072.

... But Gilbert was not fined for wearing his full white/world champs skin suit :/

... But Gilbert was not fined for wearing his full white/world champs skin suit :/

He wasn't wearing it.

CyclingTips has a photo showing Gilbert in the WC white, but it must have been from a warm-up run as he was wearing BMC kit in the race, as can be seen in the footage on SBS's site.

Edited by Donncha

Question re world champs TTT...

Why do they compete in their cycling teams instead of national teams? Isn't everything else at world champs national-based?