Tyno

Transitions Winter Fish

Inspired by the Guppies thread over on ST I'm laying down a challenge.

You don't win anything, except maybe some swim speed.

Simply put, from 1 July, swim 50 kms in 50 days.

If you're doing Yeppoon, that's 49 days from 1 July.

If you swim at my speed, it's roughly 3 x 1 hour squads a week.

Use whatever toys you have, swim in your wettie if you want.

Record your distance however you want.

The point is, get in the water and get swimming.

I haven't been swimming since I hit the beach at Busso last year, but I'm gunna have a crack.

I'll post a 400 m time from one of my first swims next week.

For interest sake, 50 km in 50 days gets you in the top 10 on Triathlog over the periods I checked.

EDIT: update the spreadsheet as you go to track your total Winterfish

Edited by Tyno
  • Like 1

I'll put my hand up for this one, gotta keep @noosanerd on his toes somehow :D

Tyno, I am not a great swimmer but am doing 3 sessions a week averaging 3.5km each, so in 5 weeks (35days) I would have done the 50km. Am I missing something here?

Good call Tyno. I'm struggling with the concept of getting back in the pool at the moment. Meanwhile I've been finding the various monthly running and riding challenges on Strava highly motivating - particularly in the last week of each challenge. Perfect for the OCD types.

Tyno, I am not a great swimmer but am doing 3 sessions a week averaging 3.5km each, so in 5 weeks (35days) I would have done the 50km. Am I missing something here?

No, sounds like you're not.

This challenge is for people like me who are missing something. I'm missing swim sessions - regularly.

so in 5 weeks (35days) I would have done the 50km. Am I missing something here?

People who swim aren't going to see it as a challenge.

People, like me, who slack off on the swimming might benefit though :)

If you feel like putting a total up each week or after 50 days, that's cool, might give people something to aspire to.

Tyno, no offence intended - I realise now the motivation behind the challenge.

I was scared of dropping off after IMOZ so I just kept swimming (less pace - not that I had much, more technique).

Awesome challenge for getting back into it!!

• Like 1

This challenge is for people like me who are missing something. I'm missing swim sessions - regularly.

My swim sessions have wanted posters up all over town, last seen March 2012. I've got a week off work next month to aid so can't think of any better time to do this

In looking at my training notes from last year, this was the time I stopped swimming for a few months & felt like a sloth when I started up again.

Last week, I swam my fastest 400 f/s time in a few years... so no stopping this winter!

Doing the 100x100s at UQ last Sunday in Aug for two reasons; raising money for a good cause and motivation for some swimming during winter. I've never swum more than 3.8k in one go or more than 12k in a week so definitely a challenge. I've also stuck myself down for the 1.50 go time whereas my flat out 100 at the moment is 1.30 so that should make it interesting. Added to that I can do 3 sessions a week at most so it's not a case of ramping up to 5 sessions a week.

Doing the 100x100s at UQ last Sunday in Aug for two reasons; raising money for a good cause and motivation for some swimming during winter. I've never swum more than 3.8k in one go or more than 12k in a week so definitely a challenge. I've also stuck myself down for the 1.50 go time whereas my flat out 100 at the moment is 1.30 so that should make it interesting. Added to that I can do 3 sessions a week at most so it's not a case of ramping up to 5 sessions a week.

Wow.. nice work!

That would be like me doing 100x100 on roughly 1.38. I couldnt do it :)

I'll put my hand up for this one, gotta keep @noosanerd on his toes somehow :D

I like it. A couple of weeks out with a cold have dented my average. Time to up my game

No good quality swimming in last 6 / 7 weeks

Starts Mon?

Ok I am in.

But I will do it all in wetsuit, hand paddles, flippers + pull-bouy and in a downhill pool!

Okay okay you have twisted my arm.

Ive been very very slack this year. 5 swims all up. 3 of them races.

1 km a day doesnt sound like much at all, but it will mean ill be at the pool 3 times a week.

100 x 100s, is there a website or event thingy for this or just something your club is doing?

I haven't swum since IMMelb...

I should do this.

Only swum 4 times since Shepp last year. Guess now is as good a time as any to start again

One thing I will practice is swimming straight !! I have had some shockers going off course last season. In cairns half when I was running into t1 one competitor I knew prior was laughing at me about how many times I went off course and came back into the pack. Doh!

I'm in. Have done 47km in 182 days so far this year, so 50km in 50 days should work.

I'm going to aim for all 50km to be open water. Reserve the right to wear a wetsuit if it gets any colder.

I'm in. Have done 47km in 182 days so far this year, so 50km in 50 days should work.

I'm going to aim for all 50km to be open water. Reserve the right to wear a wetsuit if it gets any colder.

U r crazy. It's cold !!! Edited by Mjainoz

1 km a day doesnt sound like much at all, but it will mean ill be at the pool 3 times a week.

100 x 100s, is there a website or event thingy for this or just something your club is doing?

Its for the benefits of these guys

http://www.smiddy.org.au/page/home/Sections/events/10KM_Swim_Challenge/

The fear of failure factor has already got me out of bed twice in the last couple of weeks to make squad when it would have been far easier to ignore the 4am alarm!

And you've twisted mine Ratty. I can't have you swimming more than me. I was hoping to beat you out of the water in Busso based on your recent form.

I'm in

I do all my swimming in our endless pool so I only go by swimming time

I normally swim about 17 min Ks so to be fair I'll just count every 20 mins as a k

I'll just be reporting in on this thread and totalling up as I go

I don't normally count any training Ks so it will be interesting how long it will take to get to 50k

Cheers

Ip

• Like 1

I'm in

I do all my swimming in our endless pool so I only go by swimming time

I normally swim about 17 min Ks so to be fair I'll just count every 20 mins as a k

I'll just be reporting in on this thread and totalling up as I go

I don't normally count any training Ks so it will be interesting how long it will take to get to 50k

Cheers

Ip

I'm guessing it will take exactly 1000 minutes.

• Like 1

I'm guessing it will take exactly 1000 minutes.

LOL

I never thought about it that way

That's a loooooong time

:-)

Cheers

Ip

I'm in. A normal week is 3 swims for about 9-10km. I'm swapping one out for 6 weeks intensive stroke coaching so I might be back to 8km /week. It might be tight hitting the 50 in 50.

just remind me again...what is swimming ?? :smile1:

2012 = 120km total swimming

2013 = 1.5km @ Mooloolaba tri + 2km on April fools day :sleepy:

50km in 50 days sounds ridicalus !!

but I do like a challenge !!! managed 3075km on the bike for a Strava challenge in April...

where the blinkin hell are my goggles .

Its for the benefits of these guys

http://www.smiddy.org.au/page/home/Sections/events/10KM_Swim_Challenge/

The fear of failure factor has already got me out of bed twice in the last couple of weeks to make squad when it would have been far easier to ignore the 4am alarm!

Thanks truck

And you've twisted mine Ratty. I can't have you swimming more than me. I was hoping to beat you out of the water in Busso based on your recent form.

You have every chance to beat me indeed.

Im currently swimming like a african in a desert.

You have every chance to beat me indeed.

Im currently swimming like a african in a desert.

I can vouch for that. I haven't been swimming much and my IM times are usually ~5min slower than Ratty's when we're both fit but I was almost 10min quicker at Cairns. Be good to see you get back into it mate

Will only find time to swim twice this week so smashed out 3.5km this morning. Got a sore left shoulder and a tingling hand now, should all be good by the time I hit the pool on Friday.

• Like 1

Typo, as you kicked it off, are you planning to keep tabs as in the biggest loser?

tortoise, 2.5km in 1hour this morning.

6k done

20 min PB

20 min PB and band

12x 5 mins

20x 1 mins

I had a think about what I've been doing in the pool it's been about 14/16k a week

So I'm going to aim for 100k in 50 days just so I m pushing it

Going away this week with the grandkiddys so I'll be behind from today onwards

Cheers

Ip

1.35km done this morning - Manly to Shelley B&B swim. Wetsuitless.

IP, that's amazing - great work (you show-off).

Ip will be there by Friday.

I am going to also make a return to the pool. haven't swum since mind Feb. This is gunna hurt.

Geez come on Typo you started this :smile1:

FYI I will be starting my swim on Saturday in Phuket in the ocean. Should be around 27 degrees in the water. Then continuing in Cambodia and maybe elsewhere in Thailand for the following 4 weeks. Suckers :smile1:

This is the first winter that i haven't stopped swimming (apart from a couple of weeks in April) in about 13-14 years.

Massive difference.

Hahaha I can't wait to get out of this hell hole. 1 month away from this weather I couldn't be happier :smile1::smile1::smile1::smile1::smile1:

I thought I'd escape the Brissie weather and try an indoor poor. Bad bad move. It was about 40C. Had to force myself to do 1km. Oh well, I guess I'm on track to complete the challenge.