Sign in to follow this  
CEM

New laptop - Mac or PC

I've been a PC guy forever but with a new laptop on the near horizon am considering my options...

* I'm sick of waiting minutes to boot up in Win7 (prob more to do with my current laptop), but I know Windows...although not so keen on Win8 (can you still buy PC's with Win7?).

* Laptop PC's are dirt cheap these days, far moreso than Macbooks. But Macbooks are "cool" - is that enough reason to switch over?

* We got new laptops at work in the last few months, and my new one rocks...boots up quickly, and is faaast.

* I mainly MS Office Apps, but also regularly use - Garmin Training Centre, Sportstracks, WKO+ and Quicken; are there Mac versions of these?

* I'm a bit put off by the time it takes to learn Mac OS when I just want to get started using it...does it take long?

Can anyone help me with some clarity on which way to go? Thanks...

We went through this last year (Apr) and bought a MacBook Pro 13. I had a gazillion questions and Rog, Donncha et al were brilliant in helping me. We bought MS Office for Mac and whilst we don't use it in a business setting I have used it for loads of interview presentations and it seems fine to me, but I know Tortoise isn't impressed with the XLS.

I terms of learning, it's a bit daunting at first but ok after a couple of weeks.

Things i like:

Boot up time is quick (mostly)

More logical that Windows

Battery life

Graphics

Things I don't like:

It 'assumes' too much and tries to take over.

iPhoto, can't stand the way it links original pics to any thing you do subsequently (make sure you set it up to not load any pics directly into iPhoto)

About every 15th boot up it takes much longer to boot up than other times, not sure why.

Sometimes i can completely wipe out what I'm doing buy accidentally swiping the track pad (this might be my bad).

Disappointed with the logic board failing after 5weeks and Apple not completely replacing the unit. They did fix it in 5 days (after promising it would be 2), and compensated me with a 8gb Nano after much grumbling from me. Shouldn't happen on a laptop costing this much more than the competition and one that trades on its quality. Laptop has been fine since though.

Overall I'm impressed, but not impressed enough to buy again if the need arises, given the price point difference.

Edited by FatPom

Have also been a windows user most of my nerd life, laptop was due for an upgrade so decided to go the MacBook Pro - no complaints whatsoever. Has some really nifty applications and there's nothing that I havent been able to do that I used to do on Windows. MacBook Pro, gets my vote.

Have a read and then a look at the Microsoft Surface Pro at Harvey Norman or JB. Awesome bit of kit

Used both, gave my Mac away. It frustrated me in that you can only use it as Apple want you to use it, it was too 'closed box' for me. This is true from a software and hardware perspective - want to upgrade the hard disk? Tough luck, proprietary screws. You're also tied-in to their hardware specs, whereas with a PC you have a choice of manufacturers with a variety of different specs. My personal opinion is that I wouldn't go near a Mac because it doesn't meet my personal requirements. Your personal requirements might be totally different to mine of course.

Just went PC as didnt want to spend the coin on mac. Windows 8 is not my friend, it will not be yours. Downloaded a work around for 30 days free and it's a bit better. 30 days is up so found another unlimited free work round to get the start menu. Going fine now.

A quick google tells me ST is windows, WKO is windows, GTC both, and I didn't look up quicken as I'm sure it must be mac compatible.

ST and WKO would maybe work in a program that allows you to run windows on a mac. So get a mac, then defeat the purpose of getting a mac by running windows on it ;)

disclaimer - I have no valid opinion on the matter!

Campbell,

This thing here:

http://www.apple.com/au/macbook-air/

Will boot up from being powered off in approx. in 5s

Super fast wi-fi

The battery will last ~12 hours of use

Does all the Office stuff you need and if you ever feel the need you can install Windows in it

It just works

It will take you a week to get the gist of OSX and then you're on your way.

If you already have an iPhone or iPad in the house, iCloud integration works pretty well so you can have photos, reminders, calendar appointments, etc all synced with zero effort.

5 seconds is super fast. I just turned on my Surface Pro and it took 7 seconds to get to the password and then another 2 seconds once password had been entered. That was elephant seconds btw.

Will need windows for WKO CEM. Can run a Mac in parallels but why?

Get a PC and be done it with...

Before anyone says anything... The only computers we own are Macbooks

Edited by Steno

Love apple products but hate the Mac.....I fing it frustrating...... Only because I have been using windows fot too long.

Campbell,

This thing here:

http://www.apple.com/au/macbook-air/

Will boot up from being powered off in approx. in 5s

Super fast wi-fi

The battery will last ~12 hours of use

Does all the Office stuff you need and if you ever feel the need you can install Windows in it

It just works

It will take you a week to get the gist of OSX and then you're on your way.

If you already have an iPhone or iPad in the house, iCloud integration works pretty well so you can have photos, reminders, calendar appointments, etc all synced with zero effort.

My 2c, what Rog said. Got Mrs Roz the Air and now I am on it all the time. My Dell (1 year old XPS lappie) takes an age to boot, and is generally a pile of sh*t now that I compare it to apple. I love that her Air psynchs every apple product, simple, and good looking.

I am going to use my tax refund to buy a desktop mac now also, think they are called imac.

One other thing, one of my geek mates reckons that excel shortcuts go to sh*t in the office for mac version

Amen to the excel comment. It is so bad on the Mac that you'll want parallels and a windows version unless you are a VERY basic user.

Word is a little better, but I've just switched over to windows version as well.