dogmada3

Ironman Training Plan for Busso 2013

G'day all

Just after peoples opinions on the training program below. This program can be found on the 220 triathlon Aus website.

I will be training for my 3rd ironman (busso 2013) and I'm looking for more structure in my training. Have had a look around the internet and this seems to be the best fit for me. My first 2 ironman's were completed in 14 hours and 13 1/2 hours. Would like to break 13 hours or even go faster.

I like this plan because

- it isn't to specific

- biggest week totals 14 hours (I have around 10-15 hours available per week)

- Seems easy enough to follow

- includes key work outs for each week

So what do people think? Any good or is there something better out there?

Untitled-2.jpg

Curious as to why you want a program that "isn't too specific" or specific your own needs and goals.

Interested also as to what exactly your sessions are for each day of the various training phases in that plan.

Here's a program for you:

3 swims, 3 rides, 3 runs. One from each to be 'longer' each week. Find a way to fit these sessions into your life. If you miss one its not the end of the world. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

I'm not trying to be smart with you. This is just reality for someone that's trying to get their times down like you are. Consistency is king.

It's not rocket surgery. Enjoy the training and don't let it rule your life. Get to the start line uninjured and you will smash it.

• Like 1

As a 13 hour type dude, are you sure you want to jump into a plan that has you riding a 110 km session in week 2?

Actually, I'm not sure how 3.5 hours on the bike for the week allows for anything like the session they have?

Based on that alone - serious doubts.

Agree with Tyno and Lost Kiwi. No expert but follow a plan of

Swim 2-3 sessions a week consistently 2-3 k per session and mix it up. Always do a few 1k time trials. Not sure on your ability in the pool but aim for a 17-18 min k minimum. Aim for 3k in under 60 mins.

Bike 2 rides minimum but aim for 3. From 12 weeks out do at least 140-170 each Saturday. Other days do a indoor trainer session or a hill repeat session 90 mins or a hard and fast 90 min session

Run 3 times a week minimum

Ps no expert but on this and with the required effort you should hit sub 12 :)

To me it looks like a training program to get a first time Ironman to the start line without an injury (not necessarily a bad thing).

It has one long brick, one medium brick and two short bricks. Personally I would have more key sessions and more variety in the key sessions (sometimes my key sessions stretch across 2 days). I would also have several lead up races in the 23 weeks before an Ironman.

3 swims, 3 rides, 3 runs. One from each to be 'longer' each week. Find a way to fit these sessions into your life. If you miss one its not the end of the world. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

I'm not trying to be smart with you. This is just reality for someone that's trying to get their times down like you are. Consistency is king.

It's not rocket surgery. Enjoy the training and don't let it rule your life. Get to the start line uninjured and you will smash it.

Doesn't have to be exactly 3 of each, but Kiwi is pretty much spot on with his 'keep it simple' advice.

'Consistency is king. Enjoy the training and don't let it rule your life. Get to the start line uninjured and you will smash it'.

That is some of the best advice you will get on this site.

Edited by Go Easy

Bump. Surely someone's got some other program suggestions for this bloke.

Dogmada - let us know how you go with it.

This pretty much worked for me.

Got me an 11.18 on my first go and one, I'm not a light weight. And two, I'm new to the long stuff.

Coach@ repeats it but it's the best piece of advice and it's only one word.

Consistency.