Sign in to follow this  
Ex-Hasbeen

Ducted Airconditioning

I'm about to go down the path of airconditioning the new home, and thought "If I want to know the best aircon to buy, why not ask the people that know everything." They were busy, so I thought I'd bring it up here.

I've had a number of quotes for fully ducted systems with zone controls etc. All pretty similar size systems, but was wondering if anybody had had bad experiences with particular brands. The 3 brands we've had quotes for are Daikin, Fujitsu & Panasonic. they are all in the 15kw - 18kw range. Prices have generally placed them as Daikin dearest, then Fujitsu, then Panasonic. Daikin seems to have the more popular name these days, though Fujitsu is also popular. I haven't heard much of Panasonic in the Aircon game though.

So, if you've had bad experiences, slag away. If you've had great experiences, relate them, and if you're in the industry (in brisbane) and want the work, PM me (always willing to support a trannie).

Thanks in advance.

15-18kw is a fair size, must be a pretty large home?

An average size home I'd be thinking 10-12kw at the most especially allowing for zone controllers to set day/night zones.

(might look that up tomorrow)

Daikin or Temperzone.would be my picks

In the 15kw range your probably be looking at the following

Daikin

FDYQ160LV1 (indoor)

RZQ160LV1A (outdoor)

tech specs

Temperzone.

ISD 159KY(indoor) / OSA 159RKS(outdoor) (15.7kw)

ducted split

Some info

I have some better tech specs I can send you if you like.

Daikin is the pick far as my aircon mates are concerned. And they always pushed for over doing it rather than being under powered and having the unit struggle.

I haven't heard much of Panasonic in the Aircon game though.

I couldn't speak for ducted systems, but we've had a couple of panasonic reverse cycles, and family have them plus some friends. I'm at the point I just wouldn't try anything else as I've been more than happy with them, and no mates or family have had issues with them. But yeah, I think ducted is s different game and have no clue how they perform there. I reckon Panasonic probably have a reputation level with mitsubishi. Everyone I know that has money has Daikon.

Actron is the only brand worht using in Australia, they are designed here for our conditions and the ESP model uses less power. Trust me on this one, I spent 5 years in this industy, at least look at them

We went with 3 Dailins. Air con dude recommended Dailkin.... and he wasn't making any money of that either. He just installs them.

Also, Mark Taylor advertises Fujitsu. Apart from the fact he has trouble saying Fujitsu he is a crap commentator.

In the 15kw range your probably be looking at the following

Daikin

FDYQ160LV1 (indoor)

RZQ160LV1A (outdoor)

tech specs

I just looked up a job I did a few months back using this very unit.

Beach side luxury apartments.

300m2 of conditioning space (with 2700mm ceilings)

(3 bedder, theatre, living, dining & lounge rooms)

Both North West & North East aspects with lots of glazing (so lots of heat loss/gain)

Mulltizoned to day/night although the unit is more than capable of satisfying the entire apartment if desired.

These type of units are used both commercially and domestically and have used them plenty of times on commercial projects.

Mob I work for favours Daikin and Temperzone.

I just looked up a job I did a few months back using this very unit.

Beach side luxury apartments.

300m2 of conditioning space (with 2700mm ceilings)

(3 bedder, theatre, living, dining & lounge rooms)

Both North West & North East aspects with lots of glazing (so lots of heat loss/gain)

Mulltizoned to day/night although the unit is more than capable of satisfying the entire apartment if desired.

These type of units are used both commercially and domestically and have used them plenty of times on commercial projects.

Mob I work for favours Daikin and Temperzone.

Similar to ours. Nearly 300m to aircon, though not as much windows. Being a little west of the suburbs, we get a higher temp fluctuation than metro Brisbane, so the unit will work a little harder. Looking at 8 zones, so we can pick and choose what we do.

Daiken is what my mate who is in the air con trade will only use. Or, at least that is what he told me when he installed ours!

Actron is the only brand worht using in Australia, they are designed here for our conditions and the ESP model uses less power. Trust me on this one, I spent 5 years in this industy, at least look at them

That's good to hear, given that Mrs IJ and I are getting Actron installed...

Hi, can you please tell me your experience with Actron air? I am planning to install Actron Air ESP +