nealo

Cairns Official Race Day Thread with Tracker

I reckon I'd kill for a 1:02 swim. And you reckon that's slow :schmoll:

I should've swam 57-58 mins trialled and tested several times in open water.

Agreed. Cleanest race I've ever seen, more so because of the conditions than anything else but I thought the TOs were very present.

I can't say enough good things about the event and local support on the course.

Well done USM.

Just an option but if they are going to use a 12meter rule they really need to space guys out more, not hand out plenites but at 12meters there really shouldn't be 10 riders in 50meters of road. Would love to see a TO pull up space out an entire pace line properly and say if I see you a cm inside that your getting a ticket,

Saw enough guys to riding a legit 7m and getting away with it. As you said conditions spaced them out enough and it is tough course to TO on due to the tight rolling road which at times can be immpossible to stay at 12m

The race was TO"d better today than current standard, it's the standard that bothers me not today's race

Just an option but if they are going to use a 12meter rule they really need to space guys out more, not hand out plenites but at 12meters there really shouldn't be 10 riders in 50meters of road. Would love to see a TO pull up space out an entire pace line properly and say if I see you a cm inside that your getting a ticket,

Saw enough guys to riding a legit 7m and getting away with it. As you said conditions spaced them out enough and it is tough course to TO on due to the tight rolling road which at times can be immpossible to stay at 12m

The race was TO"d better today than current standard, it's the standard that bothers me not today's race

90 + were done !

Bribiedazza just finished his first IM.

Swim: 1:32:50 Bike: 6:40:12 Run: 5:44:03 Overall: 14:10:56

Super consistent run splits Daz. Hope you enjoyed it.

Well Done mate, you're an Ironman!

In the 70.3, Mjainoz scored a 2nd in his Age Group.

Swim: 32:12 Bike: 2:33:27 Run: 1:42:06 Overall: 4:54:23

Not too bad for a guy who's come in to the event after being sick and injured.

Well done mate, top effort!

Thanks mate. Amazed how well I did given the last month. Very lucky that cough only was an issue in the swim. Chased John Hill on the bike for a while and then just kept my head in hills and wind.

Massive kudos to my coach for pacing and nutrition race plan given I had been sick. Magic bullets.

Great ride course. One of the best.

Tough day out- wasn't even in the water when the swim started- lol, wind was brutal on the bike so happy with my split- then a pb run for me ( yes- NO walking !!!!!) for an overall PB . So proud of my partner Dave (aka Digme) for finishing his first IM. Crossing the finishing line with him made a great day perfect :)

Thanks mate. Amazed how well I did given the last month. Very lucky that cough only was an issue in the swim. Chased John Hill on the bike for a while and then just kept my head in hills and wind.

Massive kudos to my coach for pacing and nutrition race plan given I had been sick. Magic bullets.

Great ride course. One of the best.

Great result, well done :)

• Like 1

Was a tuff day out on the bike ,did any think the bike & swim were long ,told the swim 500m+ & the bike 4km + long,not sure if that is true, was very pleased with my result 11.07 as i rolled my ankle 6wks out and only started running with 3wks to go ,well done all some great times by every one

Well done today spartan great time o a tough day

I reckon they brought in the 12 meter rule so they would get people riding at the original 7 m

It's the cleanest race I've been in in years and I thought really well TOd ,I seen em pinging legit drafters all day not just riding by or making enough noise on the bike that the said drafter pulls back and then they ride on

Agree with rog the swim was long or choppy or currant assist etc

This is a great place to race and Queensland weather ldid her job on us today

Mrs IP got a 2 Nd place in AG so just have to wait until roll down to see what happens

I'm so proud of her it's the first time she " raced" the whole day and pushed hard

Cheers

Ip

Well done to all today

Was a tuff day out on the bike ,did any think the bike & swim were long ,told the swim 500m+ & the bike 4km + long,not sure if that is true, was very pleased with my result 11.07 as i rolled my ankle 6wks out and only started running with 3wks to go ,well done all some great times by every one

I've had the bike at 183k the last 2 years

The first year it was 188 DOH

Cheers

Ip

I made it, although a lot slower than planned. my Garmin had the swim at 4.3, (i reckon into the current coming home) and run to transition as 800m. that started me off slow. Paced it easy on the bike, to help have a gud run. Then did a flying dismount over the bars and landed on both knees. Swelled up pretty gud and hurt like bastards on the run. So another slow one for the turtle, 14:50.

Saw bored@work doing it tough walking the marathon. Wouldn't give up!! great effort.

Edited by The Turtle

13:08 for me, 1h20 PB so can't complain. My swim & bike times didnt reflect the effort I put in in training but I paced the bike better and ran a lot more. Swim start was chaos, marshals wouldnt let us cross over the road to get to the start so we had to go te long way around amd i just made it in the water before the start. Slow swim, all ok until I turned for the second half of the second lap, then went backwards. Felt like more chop, and maybe a current? Didn't think the wind was that bad apart from on the very exposed lookouts. Ran ok until 28km then ran/walked. Just no gas left. Great support from the locals and vollies. Got my medal from PJ too. Crap food in recovery, penne bolognese, minestrone soup and cheap ice cream. Tiny area too. Complaints from my supporters that its a bad race to support at - no sightings on the bike at all, or for most of the run.

Just went back for the finish, a late sixties Japanese guy missed out by 31 seconds but got a great welcome anyway. First time at the finish, definitely recommended.

Recovery area needs to be revised- they knew for over a week shite weather was predicted..........and yes agree the food was pretty ordinary- but I prefer Maccas any way :)

On a positive note the backpacks were decent quality and the finishers medal, shirt and towel all nice !!

Plenty of TOs out on the course with plenty of people busted for draughting. Couldn't believe the number of crashes out on the bike course- would hate to think how much worse it could have been with wet roads !!!!

• Like 1

Hey Rog great effort mate. Looks like it all came together for you. Just wondering what you changed with your run training since Busso?

Yep, another quality medal etc. If its a choice between spending our entries on recovery food or decent goodies (cough Challenge Cairns towel, cough) I'll pick the goodies.

I didn't see any crashes, did see lots of mechanicals. I was much further back than you though. I did notice that I made up many positions overtaking people who weren't confident descending.

Well done to everyone who finished the IM yesterday.

Even in the half there seemed to be a lot of crashes on sections of apparently straight road. Roundabouts I can understand but a few were mysterious.

Also a lot of collapses on the run, and a lot more people in a really bad way then I saw at IMM. Due to the heat? What's your theory?

Well done everyone! Jealous much :)

MACPHERSON, Daniel Australia 00:54:02 04:56:00 03:17:46 09:14:49 1

Local 'woomba guy, 1st in 25-29 (he's 25) and I believe it's his first IM. Wonder how many pats on the back the famous DMac will be getting today ;)

• Like 1

Not in the IM was he?

Well there you have it! I think it was PM 70.3 last year that our DM came outright second, and famous DM tweeted a thanks to him for making him look good!

Congrats to all who finished what sounded like a fairly tough day out. It looks like most of the Trannies who went made it to the end, and those who didn't will live to fight another day!

I wouldn't mind a copy of the 'Cairns Festival Program' if anyone happens to have scored a spare. Would be much appreciated.

Good man! I thought you might have been flying out this morning and might not have time.

How did you pull up?

I dragged my sorry butt across the line in 12:24, over an hour slower than Busso. I'm not doing one of these without training again

• Like 1

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

Well Done Balri!

I dragged my sorry butt across the line in 12:24, over an hour slower than Busso. I'm not doing one of these without training again

I hear you, I hear you, mate!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

Well Done Balri!

Thanks Go Easy. That's one of my favourite quotes

Hi, our bikes were racked next to each other, you beat me out of the swim (so did almost everyone else...), kept an eye out on the bike but didn't see you. Well done for finishing!

Hi, our bikes were racked next to each other, you beat me out of the swim (so did almost everyone else...), kept an eye out on the bike but didn't see you. Well done for finishing!

Just had a look at your results. You probably didn't see me on the bike because you went past too fast. Congrats on your great result

Results

15:50:07 Andrew #1 - 820

11:23:44 sunnygirl - 1160

11:39:46 Joostoz - 613

9:44:36 Rog - 419

11:07:08 Cervelo Mistress - 1139

Milney - 544

10:27:16 Ninjaman - 568

14:22:54 Supamau - 273

11:30:01 KT05 - 717

10:11:14 Harts - 479

14:51:02 The Turtle - 640

15:49:32 tex - 1056

15:49:32 grafton kid - 64

11:33:52 thomo - 1128

10:58:28 Mr Flower - 1199

12:24:44 balri - 614

13:09:29 whiffyfuzzball - 1134

DNF GregB - 683

11:45:57 av8tr - 733

10:45:25 TurboSimon - 979 M 45-49

DNS Niseko 712

12:29:38 dmaher42 - 528

14:00:37 Gaz 1089

13:44:23 Woolly Mammoth Hunter - 1101

10:47:01 Andy Ryan - 308

12:21:31 Clown Boy - 279

12:49:56 RatDog - 470

14:10:56 Bribiedazza - 677

14:34:55 Oompa Loompa - 822

16:05:03 Boredatwork - 558

14:35:16 humdrum - 655

5:39:39 Crowies crushed nuts - 1834 #firsttimer

5:29:30 sme1414 - 2081

5:59:26 downesy - 2519

4:54:23 mjainoz - 2607

Edited by nealo

Looks like I got the Lanterne Rouge

Given your start time I believe you may be the first Australian to take 2 days to complete an ironman. That's one for the signature.

Well done on finishing after major surgery just 3 weeks ago. 10 down, 2 to go before KONA.

Given your start time I believe you may be the first Australian to take 2 days to complete an ironman. That's one for the signature.

Well done on finishing after major surgery just 3 weeks ago. 10 down, 2 to go before KONA.

Thanks Peter it hurt like hell & I still can't believe I finished. To be honesty I was going to pull the pin at the 15km mark of the bike ( & then every 5 or 10km after that I wanted to quit) & if the bike went back into town I probably would have.

Getting number 10 finished & getting closer to 12 x & Kona was a huge motivator.

Very sore & swollen today with blisters in places you shouldn't have blisters. Off to get a 21 piece bucket of KFC at least I can use the bucket for a hat.

I think Coffs Pete finished after Midnight in IM Melb last year but I did wait 5 sec at the finish line to make sure I got a 2 day finish.

Looks like I got the Lanterne Rouge

Love your work mate, awesome effort to keep pushing though. You are one tuff bugger. I thought you'd lost it that second time I saw you on the run - I have no idea what you said, but it sounded bizzare. Glad you got though it

:kicking::kicking:

Well done on finishing after major surgery....

From what I understand it was classified as microsurgery, medically speaking that is.

From what I understand it was classified as microsurgery, medically speaking that is.

I have no dignity left so don't push me or I will post photo's. "Lance" was a fair size

I didn't put my number up before the race, but I finished the 70.3, it was my first ever 70.3 (and third tri - the other two being olmypics) 14 months ago I couldn't cycle more than 20km and had never even run even 500m without stopping. On sunday I finished the 70.3 in 5:12:03.

It was a good day.

• Like 1

Dude - you need to get over to GESAC & start swimming more - you have massive improvement in you..!

(I am just across Sth Road from you)