Sign in to follow this  
NW55

Cyclist down in Melb

I was just watching the news and saw that a cyclist was hit by a 4wd in The Basin today and killed.

Weather it's a Trannie or not, my heart goes out to them and their family. Stay safe out there guys, we really need to take care out there no matter what.

NW

Cyclist gets run down by a 4wd failing to give way at a round about and the policeman interviewed says the sun could have been in his eyes so he might not have seen him. Fact is drivers don't give a stuff about cyclists. So sorry for the poor guy and his family.

I don't like roundabouts at the best of times, particuarly the one in Mordi - not a fan of wet roads either to be honest so not a good combination. Condolences to the guys family.

I don't like roundabouts at the best of times, particuarly the one in Mordi - not a fan of wet roads either to be honest so not a good combination. Condolences to the guys family.

That's the exact one I nearly got wiped out on earlier. It's a disaster zone for cyclists.

• Like 1

The Mordialloc roundabout is too small and all drivers going in either direction along the highway treat it like a small chicane (?) and don't slow down . The distance from the bridge( north) is short so their speed is high already and going south their speed is up already.I use this road at least twice a day , in one instance whilst riding with my son in law going round the roundabout a car coming from our left didn't see us and slammed on his brakes and stopped just as my son in law was sitting on his bonnet .I use the pedestrian lights just up from this spot when going south . I am sad to hear of another cycle death. I usually ride early now (5-6am) and light myself up so brightly I can be seen for kilometres ( blue LEDs down backstays , 2 flashing red lights on back and 1000 lumen rechargeable light on front) Can't say I cannot be seen , even had car drivers remark on lights .I might look silly ( some say I am ) but touch wood, not hit yet. be seen be safe with fresh batteries.

WOW, I had planned an early morning ride out to Mt Dandy going through The Basin where the cyclist was hit. thank god my friends convinced me to stay out on Saturday night and have a few more drinks so i couldn't get out of bed early on sunday. it could have been me who was hit. scary thought!!!

I usually ride early now (5-6am) and light myself up so brightly I can be seen for kilometres ( blue LEDs down backstays , 2 flashing red lights on back and 1000 lumen rechargeable light on front) Can't say I cannot be seen , even had car drivers remark on lights .I might look silly ( some say I am ) but touch wood, not hit yet. be seen be safe with fresh batteries.

I'm pretty sure I've seen you a few times then. You're either with the Giant Boys on their TT bikes or started using the blue lights recently (we thought it was the Giant Boys at first). We go each Tue/Thur down to Mordi and back (from the North) at around the same time as you indicate.

The Mordialloc roundabout is too small and all drivers going in either direction along the highway treat it like a small chicane (?) and don't slow down .

Agreed, much better to use the bike path that goes under the bridge for both directions if going onto Beach rd from here. Most cyclists don't seem to know about it, it goes from the north side of the bridge on the south bound lane side, under the bridge and pops out on the path near the boat hire place on the first bit of Beach road. I've had to stop a few times to wait with cyclists on this round about while waiting for ambulances

Roundabouts are really dangerous. Nearly had one of my sons hit while riding with me yesterday. I think one of the problems is that drivers are looking to the right as they enter and not necessarily seeing what is directly infront of them or who is crossing at the pedestrian crossing just beyond the roundabout. Infact the pedestrian cross gets obscured by the roundabout.

There is a big one near home in Kew on Princess Street which I refuse to ride around, I'll always take the pedestrian crossing before it for safety reasons.

Thanks for the tip on the Mordy bike underpass, I'll look for it next time I'm down there as that roundabout is seriously dangerous as well.

My condolences to the family and friends of the cyclist killed. Horrible!

Roundabouts are really dangerous. Nearly had one of my sons hit while riding with me yesterday. I think one of the problems is that drivers are looking to the right as they enter and not necessarily seeing what is directly infront of them or who is crossing at the pedestrian crossing just beyond the roundabout. Infact the pedestrian cross gets obscured by the roundabout.

There is a big one near home in Kew on Princess Street which I refuse to ride around, I'll always take the pedestrian crossing before it for safety reasons.

Thanks for the tip on the Mordy bike underpass, I'll look for it next time I'm down there as that roundabout is seriously dangerous as well.

My condolences to the family and friends of the cyclist killed. Horrible!

The intersecton of Eglington/Wills/Willsmere etc..?

That's the one. I don't even run through it anymore.

Although my son was almost hit on the one at the bottom of Willsmere (near the Caltex service station).

Edited by Evil Guru

That's the one. I don't even run through it anymore.

Although my son was almost hit on the one at the bottom of Willsmere (near the Caltex service station).

I lived on Princess St for years.. my brother in law had a nasty accident at that roundabout - he was driving through it from Willsmere to Wills, and someone came out of Eglinton & went straight into the passenger side. Nobody hurt, luckily.

Luckily, the worst thing that happened to me at the bottom of Willsmere was a sustained attack by a magpie

I bought lights from the Blue Boys about a year ago and ride Tuesday and Thursday with mrs f , say hi next time .

Was you then, as remember you were riding with a lass. We come past about Sandyish heading South about 5.45. We wear Rapido outfits, from 2-6 of us. I'll look out for you tomorrow and yell out if we cross paths.

Was you then, as remember you were riding with a lass. We come past about Sandyish heading South about 5.45. We wear Rapido outfits, from 2-6 of us. I'll look out for you tomorrow and yell out if we cross paths.

Will look out for you ,thanks