ABC Grandstand FOP

ABC Grandstand Front of Pack (FOP)

Hi Everyone

We have contacted Bernie about making this post and have her full support.

ABC Grandstand have just commenced a new triathlon radio show named Front of Pack (FOP). It is a 3 person panel show consisting of Vanessa MacBean, Michael Sams and Clyde Rosanowski.

Two of the panelists are active members of this forum, runlong and miloman.

As it is primarily a radio show it is a bit shorter than your average triathlon podcast, the first episode is 35 minutes long.

What we would love is some constructive criticism and maybe some ideas for future interviews or segment ideas. Be gentle though none of us have had any experience with radio before so we aren't going to be perfect straight away.

The first show goes to air Friday 31 May at 3:30pm on digital radio. The interviews for the first show include Chris Hanrahan (Chris Kemp's coach) and the swim director and medical director at Ironman Australia.

We know most people don't have digital radio so there will be a link to the show on the website and it will be available as a podcast later also.

We'll add a comment to this topic when I have a link for you all.

Thanks

FOP

• Like 1

Yo team, also recorded a couple of sweet interviews for next months show yesterday. Ben St L's views on Brownlee are pretty interesting.

Pretty sure it will be on itunes next week.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/sport/grandstand-radio-broadcast-schedule/

E1 will be on at 3:30AEST today, link to schedule above

Will also be here to download soon: http://www.abc.net.au/news/sport/programs/

great

this can only be good news for the sport

thanks guys for setting this up

cheers

ip

I listened to it last night. I thought the content was great and the people spoke well.

The only negative for me was the differing volumes from one interview to another.

Well done

Yeah I agree with Ratty, the sound quality could do with some improvement. But, i liked the content and especially liked that there was a focus on some of the back of house stuff instead of just race results and what the Pro's are doing. I didn't realise how many vollies were on the water for the swim.

Edited by JGF

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think the sound differences are due to the port mac interviews being done on a voice recorder in outside conditions etc. The rest of the content was in the studio. Some of us need to get closer to the microphone too :)

Sounds a great idea. (Waiting for the podcast)

Idea / Suggestion. Why not get the State Associations to email members and let them know ABC is doing this?

Edited by Mjainoz

Idea / Suggestion. Why not get the State Associations to email members and let them know ABC is doing this?

Agree.

Lads an idea for ye. Get Triathlon NSW to come on and explain about compulsory membership, what it offers, what's in it's insurance cover. What you are/are not covered for... A big change with lots of incomplete info floating about.

May get TA in, had discussed that, not sure t would be interesting though?

Agreed re the volume. Milo man was too far from the mike!

Liked it. for my 2 cents worth,

- no one cares about what races the presenters are going to do unless it is a story that is a story ie I dont care if someone is doing

Port Stephens

-Hard to generate a personality on radio. I think Vanessa might have it. The other 2 should aim to be interviewers (which in itself is not an issue: media is mostly about content and delivery platform and not personaliites. You have a great delivery platform;, just do the content ).

After the Chris Hanrahan interview, clearly the next interview is with a pro about being a borderline individual and giving up a a career and sleeping on couches and doing 70.3s or with a Pete Jacobs who used to do that and now is kinda OK

instead of having a half dozen different mobs do it, why not abolish them and have one person at TA send a free email to the membership.

Lads an idea for ye. Get Triathlon NSW to come on and explain about compulsory membership, what it offers, what's in it's insurance cover. What you are/are not covered for... A big change with lots of incomplete info floating about.

. Yes, could interview all thre board members and get their personal views on why its so good. Edited by Oompa Loompa

Liked it. for my 2 cents worth,

- no one cares about what races the presenters are going to do unless it is a story that is a story ie I dont care if someone is doing

Port Stephens

-Hard to generate a personality on radio. I think Vanessa might have it. The other 2 should aim to be interviewers (which in itself is not an issue: media is mostly about content and delivery platform and not personaliites. You have a great delivery platform;, just do the content ).

After the Chris Hanrahan interview, clearly the next interview is with a pro about being a borderline individual and giving up a a career and sleeping on couches and doing 70.3s or with a Pete Jacobs who used to do that and now is kinda OK

First time I have ever been told I have no personality. I am taking that as a complement

Hi guys and gals

Our latest show is now on the net and includes Australian 10km champion Ben St Lawrence who won the Payton Jordan Invitational which is the 10km track race Brownlee had a crack at. Ben talks about his career and his views on Brownlee as a runner.

We also have well known Masters runner and technique coach Keith Bateman talking about running technique and running as an older athlete.

Hope you enjoy.

Thanks for the reminder. I have just subscribed on iTunes.

What did you think IN? We had to rush this one with two of he three of us being away for all of July

What did you think IN? We had to rush this one with two of he three of us being away for all of July

I work FIFO. Will listen to it when I get back to Perth next week.

• Like 1

Listened this morning via ITunes. Obviously a little out of date now but good work guys. Really liked the interviews, but thought that they lacked a little Triathlon focus, maybe only one of those should have been aired in the episode, with another one being someone more in the Tri World.

Excuse my ignorance, but I cant find this on ITunes anywhere. Can someone post a link? Very keen to have a listen.

Thanks

NSF

Thanks Tinman2. Looks like the reason I couldn't find it was that I couldn't spell :shutup: . Apparently there are no Podcasts for 'Front of Back' :shy:

Does anyone know if this series is continuing? I thought it was pretty good. I have noticed there have been no more podcasts uploaded into ITunes.

Although given my previous history in relation to this I may have missed it (see above :))

18th of July was the last one on iTunes.

If anyone can tell you it will be run long

18th of July was the last one on iTunes.

If anyone can tell you it will be run long

Yo guys, we had some issues with all getting together w work schedules. We recorded most of it last week and Sambo did a great interview with Brad K. Should be up in the next few days.

Glad someone listens!

Yep as Runlong says Looking at Friday 13th at this stage.

We did an interview with Brad Kahlefeldt and asked Stu Campbell (Computa) and wheel choices for triathlon races.

We now have a twitter account @abcfrontofpack which we will use to try and keep you updated on what's happening as far as interviews etc.

Sorry for the delay on this one both runlong and miloman did Challenge Roth and had some holidays after that plus our real work to deal with :)

Hey everyone

The new show is out. Sorry about the delays.

It features Brad Kahlefeldt talking about his move into 70.3 racing and thoughts leading into Vegas 70.3 world champs.

We also have Stew Campbell on the show talking about race wheel choice for triathlons.

Hope you enjoy, please share with your friends.

A reminder we have a twitter account "ABC Front of Pack" and you can also subscribe to us on iTunes.

Cheers

I thought that the 3rd show was a big improvement. The interview with BK was good.

Releasing a show with your predictions for the 70.3 WC after the race has been completed, seems pointless.

Your tyre expert mentioned that only people going over 35km/hr would benefit from a disc wheel and that people going slower than that should get deep rim wheels. Aero is aero, while a faster rider will get the largest percentage increase a slower rider will get the largest time saving. See Alex Simmons excellent article at:

http://alex-cycle.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/aero-for-slower-riders.html

Hey peoples

The new show is out. See link and also on iTunes

http://www.abc.net.au/news/sport/programs/front-of-pack/

This show we chat to 2013 Age group world champion (70.3 and Oly) Laura Siddall about her recent decision to turn pro and what goes into making that decision. Laura started her first pro race in Noosa and came 8th in a pretty stacked field. great effort as she is more suited to 70.3 in my opinion.

We also talk to age grouper Nicole Stanners about her trip to Kona as a first timer.

Point taken about the race predictions it has taken longer than we wanted for each episode to go to air (our little podcast is a huge ABC priority as you would expect) we just reviewed races this time.

Hope you enjoy.