onesock

Suunto Vs Garmin

What was the reason for you wanting the sunnto?

Because he/she is spanning us.

Are you going to join the forum on non-Sunto related threads now, onesock? Or should I say Simon the Suunto distributor!!! (Cue lightning bolt, thunder and serious creepy organ music!!!!) :lol:

Are you going to join the forum on non-Sunto related threads now, onesock? Or should I say Simon the Suunto distributor!!! (Cue lightning bolt, thunder and serious creepy organ music!!!!) :lol:

If that's true, it must be devasting for him to read a thread like this!

I was talking to Emo about the watches and he suggested I ask the question on transitions. No, I am not spammer, I like the look of the watch and the ads read well and did not want to fall into the trap of getting sucked in by the advertising and thought that is what this forum was about.

I was talking to Emo about the watches and he suggested I ask the question on transitions. No, I am not spammer, I like the look of the watch and the ads read well and did not want to fall into the trap of getting sucked in by the advertising and thought that is what this forum was about.

Sorry about the accusation onesock - often a first time poster that refers to a specific product can be a little fishy. (like "Everyone's talking about Ceepo!" :lol:)

Apologies and welcome to the forum! :)

Edited by Pete

For one they are a better built watch. They look better.

Does that matter if it can't do the job?

Taste is subjective, I find the suuntos fugly whilst the 910 is ok.

The day they build a triathlon watch like Garmin did I'll consider having a look. Until then they are just not good enough.

Does that matter if it can't do the job?

What job can't they do?

The only limitation I'm aware of is no quick release

What job can't they do?

I don't know.

Edumacate me on how good they are?

For Tri, not that trail running malarkey :)

What job can't they do?

The only limitation I'm aware of is no quick release

Does it have a built in accelerometer for swim stroke with GPS optimised for open water swimming? And a footpod for inst, speed and cadence or a bike speed cadence sensor and a generic (ANT+) interface to display and record data from a power device and, of course, a HR monitor strap. Then, can it access all these things at the appropriate time in a triathlon to give the information as swim/ride/run and then also do it continuously for even longer than the 17 hours cutoff at an IM? If the answer to all this is Yes then it is just as good - what extra does it have to make it better..? :)

• Like 1

Does it have a built in accelerometer for swim stroke with GPS optimised for open water swimming? And a footpod for inst, speed and cadence or a bike speed cadence sensor and a generic (ANT+) interface to display and record data from a power device and, of course, a HR monitor strap. Then, can it access all these things at the appropriate time in a triathlon to give the information as swim/ride/run and then also do it continuously for even longer than the 17 hours cutoff at an IM? If the answer to all this is Yes then it is just as good - what extra does it have to make it better..? :)

It would be good if my garmin could do this. I still can't use it for triathlons without finding myself off the coast of Africa. I bet the sunnto would keep me in the right country?!

bump

I'm in the market for a new watch and am also looking between the Garmin 910 an the Suunto Ambit 2. I can see from the posts above, that most of you think that anyone would regret buying the Suunto, but can you tell us why? They seem to be pretty much on par. Suunto is more expensive, but I think it'll probably last longer than the Garmin (build quality?). And there probably won't be the issues with the HRM spiking that Garmin has. Suunto also looks better in my opinion. Suunto doesn't record transitions, but you can manually program it in. DCRainmaker gives the Suunto a good review, but still ranks the Garmin as the better watch.

Anyone out there have a Suunto and have any problems with it? Ditto with the Garmin?

All responses welcome! Thanks :-)

Did you discount the Fenix 2, having read stuff about it?

Fenix is not designed for openwater swimming... nor for the bike really - according to the reviews anyway...

The Fenix 2 is designed for openwater swimming & has much better bike functionality. I was set to go for a Ambit 2 until the Fenix 2 was released. The biggest thing for me is that the Ambit 2 doesn't have a vibration alarm which I find really useful when your "In the zone" or running with Headphones on.

The Fenix 2 is designed for openwater swimming & has much better bike functionality. I was set to go for a Ambit 2 until the Fenix 2 was released. The biggest thing for me is that the Ambit 2 doesn't have a vibration alarm which I find really useful when your "In the zone" or running with Headphones on.

My bad - I read the review for the Fenix with the 2.9 firmware... I'll have a look at it now, but I can't see myself using the vibration alarm...

I was in the same situation: 910 or Ambit 2, and then the Fenix 2 arrived on the scene.

I tend to deep-dive into reviews when I'm on the gear-hunt, and after my research, there was no contest, Fenix 2 all the way (DC Rainmaker simplifies the deep-dive immensely, his reviews are top-drawer). Caveat: my research was aimed at what I wanted from a triathlon watch, which might not be what others want from a triathlon watch - this included a watch which I could travel with as an everyday watch, and then go running while overseas, and have the battery life to get through an Ironman, with all the gadgets and gimmicks I'd expect for a multi-sport watch. Fenix had it all, and the added 'adventure' elements are a bonus.

In terms of looks, I checked the Suunto on my wrist, and much prefer the style of the Fenix 2.

I also have a Suunto Core, and based on that and now my second Garmin (310 before), I prefer the build quality of the Garmin.

I have a ambit2, i like it. It actually looks like a watch instead of a calculator watche from the 80's, your not wearing a 910 out to dinner. It has all the functions I need for tris and training, I havent had a 910 so cant compare. I did have a warranty claim, the buttons were sticking and screwing things up but Sunnto replaced it with a new watch.

Caveat: my research was aimed at what I wanted from a triathlon watch, which might not be what others want from a triathlon watch - this included a watch which I could travel with as an everyday watch, and then go running while overseas, and have the battery life to get through an Ironman, with all the gadgets and gimmicks I'd expect for a multi-sport watch. Fenix had it all, and the added 'adventure' elements are a bonus.

For me it it was the opposite. I was looking for a watch that could be used in Ultra's (20h+) and also in Triathlon. When it was only the Fenix1 I was leaning towards the Ambit2 but the Fenix2 changed that for me :) And the nice thing is that the Fenix2 and the Forerunners are actually two separate divisions within Garmin so there will be a little competition between them so we should see even better things.

• Like 1

I tend to deep-dive into reviews when I'm on the gear-hunt, and after my research, there was no contest, Fenix 2 all the way (DC Rainmaker simplifies the deep-dive immensely, his reviews are top-drawer). Caveat: my research was aimed at what I wanted from a triathlon watch, which might not be what others want from a triathlon watch - this included a watch which I could travel with as an everyday watch, and then go running while overseas, and have the battery life to get through an Ironman, with all the gadgets and gimmicks I'd expect for a multi-sport watch. Fenix had it all, and the added 'adventure' elements are a bonus.

I've read DC Rainmaker's reviews and I can't really see any major differences between them all. TenPints, all the points you raise above also apply to the Suunto as far as I can see, so what tipped it in favour of the Fenix2?

I've read DC Rainmaker's reviews and I can't really see any major differences between them all. TenPints, all the points you raise above also apply to the Suunto as far as I can see, so what tipped it in favour of the Fenix2?

You're right BogFrog, and that's what my research concluded (I detailed the points to highlight what I was looking for, not in terms of what the Fenix did over the Ambit :smile1: ). However, the prices are different, and the Fenix 2 did have a few additions that I thought gave it the edge when considering that price. Here's some of my considerations.

- I (personally speaking) much preferred the look of the Fenix 2. When the Ambit 2 came out, I loved the features, but couldn't fall in love with the look, so couldn't commit to the purchase.

- I have a Garmin cadence sensor.

- I've had my 310 for a while, and it's been faultless, and also use Garmin Connect. Familiarity and all that.

- Strava. I'm a new user, and if I remember from my research there was an issue with uploading (might have changed now of course). It's a very minor thing, but something I noticed.

- 1s recording facility. I remember trying to work out if the Suunto did this, as all DC Rainmaker details is 'variable'.

- Run dynamics. I'm not a good runner, and I was thinking that something which provides an element of analysis would be beneficial. I'm not sure how much of a gimmick it is, or whether 'remote' coaches would find reading the data to be telling, but what I have found is that it's interesting to look at how my 'dynamics' change as I get tired, and then compare then over the same route based on how I 'felt' whilst running.

- Bluetooth capabilities. Will admit that I haven't used them yet, and am waiting for the Android update, but it's a plus to the Fenix 2 over the Ambit.

I'm a few months into owning the Fenix 2, and must say I'm very happy with it - day-to-day and for training/racing. My 'dress' watches are now in a draw, they may never see the light of day again!

• Like 1

When I got my f2, the suunto was dearer. Doesn't appear to be now.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

May as well throw this out there...I want to have a look at the Polar V800 when released. I'm interested in an activity tracker and both in one would be good. If no Strava connectivity though...not sure about that!! Regardless, it looks like a good leap and some competition for garmin.

Damn! Damn damn damn. Just got the remix and there are a few things lacking.

Can't use pool swimming as part of a multisport activity and can't have more than 5 activities?!? Bugger!

Damn! Damn damn damn. Just got the remix and there are a few things lacking.

Can't use pool swimming as part of a multisport activity and can't have more than 5 activities?!? Bugger!

remix - do you mean Fenix?

Hmm didn't see that in any of the reviews. Hope they update that. But if that is a game breaker I recon you can use that as a "not fit for purpose" return. I know the 910 can do more. (Not sure about the ambit). And no idea if the 910 can have the pool swim as part of it.

Not in the reviews, but I found in the comments section on derainmakers review (after the fact of course) The 910 can do the pool but not sure about the extra activities. I was trying to avoid it though...

Personally, I do think they'll add that as a feature, but I don't know when. I do more pool swim tri's a year than not.

Hmm didn't see that in any of the reviews. Hope they update that. But if that is a game breaker I recon you can use that as a "not fit for purpose" return. I know the 910 can do more. (Not sure about the ambit). And no idea if the 910 can have the pool swim as part of it.

Yep, called the shop and they will allow me to return it as it hasn't been used, just played with - and I have all the boxes and bags etc.

Personally, I do think they'll add that as a feature, but I don't know when. I do more pool swim tri's a year than not.

I do pool aquathons every week, so it's kind of a deal breaker for me. DCRainmaker has the issue raised in March and there have been 2 updates since, but this issue hasn't been resolved. I don't think I can keep the watch on the basis that it *should* be fixed...

I like Suunto. I just want to say that

So, dazaau, can the Suunto Ambit 2 do 6+ multisport activities including a pool swim?

Actually been 5 released updates so far, plus who knows how many betas.

From what I've read, Transition times can't be recorded with the Ambit. DC Rainmaker had to set them up as a separate sport, so bear that in mind when counting multisports for the Ambit (caveat: unsure if this has been changed in an update).

Data fields for display: it wasn't relevant in my original research as both had 3 data fields, but now the Fenix 2 does 4. Here you can see the updates being pushed to the Fenix 2:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=6929

Not trying to convince you to stick with the Fenix, just hate to see you take it back and swap, only for an update to be done. I've tried to find beta updates to see what's coming, but no luck.