Rog

Swim tapering & race week

Hey guys,

I'm interested in your thoughts re: swim tapering for Ironman.

As a bit of background, I've been averaging 16-18km per week in the last 8 weeks or so, mostly over 4 sessions per week.

This week I have done one 90mins / 5km session on Monday and am starting to taper it down so at the moment here's the plan:

Wed (today): ~70min / 4km pool (threshold + strength mix)

Fri: ~60min / 4km open water

Sun: ~45-60min / 3-4km open water

I'm not sure about what to do next week (race week). I've been enjoying getting in the water every second day so am keen to do the same but unsure of how long these sessions should be / how far to go to make sure I am fully rested for the weekend but still with a good "feel" for the water. Here's what I am thinking:

Mon: ~45min / 3km longer sets (i.e. 3 x 1km)

Tue: ~30-45min easy set with some short efforts (i.e. 25 and 50 sprints)

Wed: ~30min easy

Thu: travel

Fri: ~30min on swim course

Is this reasonable, too much, too little?

Keen to hear what you have planned from now till race day, or what you've done in the past that has worked well for you.

Cheers,

Rog

I usually do something decent again on Wednesday or Thursday. 2.5 - 3k. Main set would have something like 100s or 200s at expected race pace with good rest. Depends on how I feel.

Friday is a swim on course for 30 minutes. Except in Cairns. Last year was 10,000 laps of the lagoon. I wasn't swimming in that water on my own.

It's all about what makes you feel more confident. One time I didn't swim for 10 days before and felt great and since then I have never been that caught up on the perfect swim lead in.

Hey guys,

I'm interested in your thoughts re: swim tapering for Ironman.

As a bit of background, I've been averaging 16-18km per week in the last 8 weeks or so, mostly over 4 sessions per week.

This week I have done one 90mins / 5km session on Monday and am starting to taper it down so at the moment here's the plan:

Wed (today): ~70min / 4km pool (threshold + strength mix)

Fri: ~60min / 4km open water

Sun: ~45-60min / 3-4km open water

I'm not sure about what to do next week (race week). I've been enjoying getting in the water every second day so am keen to do the same but unsure of how long these sessions should be / how far to go to make sure I am fully rested for the weekend but still with a good "feel" for the water. Here's what I am thinking:

Mon: ~45min / 3km longer sets (i.e. 3 x 1km)

Tue: ~30-45min easy set with some short efforts (i.e. 25 and 50 sprints)

Wed: ~30min easy

Thu: travel

Fri: ~30min on swim course

Is this reasonable, too much, too little?

Keen to hear what you have planned from now till race day, or what you've done in the past that has worked well for you.

Cheers,

Rog

Coach will have some good advice here, but given what you have in your arms from your work in the last 8 weeks, you wouldn't need to do a lot. Personally, I wouldn't do 3x1k on the Monday, I would be doing sharper stuff. Others may disagree (& have a better informed view).

Here's what I did in the last week before Melb (having averaged 11k per week for 3 or so months). All sessions had 3-400 warm up & warm down.

Swim 1: 4x200 build (getting faster each 50) on 5 mins.

Swim 2: 6x100 build (getting faster each 25) on 3 mins

Swim 3: 6x50 build (getting faster each 12.5) on 1.30.

I felt great in these sessions, and took a lot of confidence from them. Not too much distance, but enough sharpness, and enough rest to do them well.

Good luck - sounds like you have prepared well.

Like what Nick suggests but I swam 1:13 at port so don't listen to me.

But good luck Rog, no doubt you've put the work in, hope you get the result you deserve

• Like 1

do what you're doing now rog - minus 20% in race week. same frequency.

no real taper for swimming under 20k a week mileage.

freshening up is all.

Yes I agree with Mick, 'hold yourself up' a bit in race week, it's a long day and if you drop too much you find that, yes, you freshen 'right' up but at the expense of some aerobic capacity....you can find yourself feeling terrific and super fresh out of the blocks, but producing more lactate than usual and finding a bear climbing on your back from about 500m.

Fro 4km swims I usually drop of a little volume and some intensity at the start of the week os you feel like you have more in you - so maybe a 3km set with some fast stuff - but only a little

Then some shorter sets and fast stuff, then I have a muck around swim on your travel day which works in well aftera trip - it keep the arms moving but relaxes you - beach swims are gold

Then the last 2 days are real easy - I always feel like they are a waste of time but you start feeling fresh - with your volume your not going to gain anything by doings spefic sets - I find some short bursts help but total of 1km and 15-20 is all I would do

This si what works for me - you just have to try a few things and see what works

the Tobruk pool on northside of town is good in the week before the race

not heated and usually cold enough that you could knock out some swims in the wetsuit- much better than swimming in the polluted marina

i usually go full volume right up the the thursday before and keep swimming every day up to the race

It isn't really all that technical - swim some every day - only has to be 500-1,000m a time - just enough to keep a good feel for your technique -the object is to become fresh without losing your technique - we could write up a complicated program but that would be bullshit - just swim enough to warm up then do a little bit at race pace - rehearse clearing your goggles while rolling over without stopping - practice sighting without dropping a stroke - swim long enough to feel good and get out and go rest some more -------- almost the same goes for the bike and run over the last week ---- some people make it seem like a countdown at Cape Canaveral -- it's not -- it's a quest to become fresh and fully recovered over 10-14days without losing touch with your technique :smile1: Hang around positive people and laugh a lot - avoid the worry warts - you can't help them and they'll drag you down :shy:

I'm a crap swimmer so don't really feel qualified to comment... but if I was a fish like you guys and had the ability to achieve a decent result, then I'd be looking at doing roughly what AP said, but would be doing a few easy 'sprint' starts (nothing too hard that would send you lactic) and then gently ease into your race pace. Start in deep water, and basically practice what you will be doing on race day. Can't hurt, but it might help you sort out what sort of starting pace you can handle.

Apart from that, just take a bit of your own advice and 'don't stress about it'!

Good Luck!

Edited by Go Easy

It isn't really all that technical - some people make it seem like a countdown at Cape Canaveral -- it's not --

i like that AP. goes for every race that is important. just another swim,bike,run

Ok like Rog I am looking for advise. 3 weeks out from IM Switzerland. Done Port in May swam 1.01. Since then been swimming on average 10-12km per week (not great had hoped for 15-16k).

I now feel like im not as swim fit. I fly out two weeks today. Am I best just to cram lots of swimming into my first two weeks of taper. My riding & running is going well.

Advise please

Mate I'd swim as much as you can within reason for 2 weeks and taper it down race week.

Try and get some LONG sessions in (i.e. 5 x 1km with 1km at HIM / 1km at IM pace, look at the clock and go again, mix it up with paddles / pull if you are used to it).

At least one wetsuit swim / week would be good too, weather is looking good this weekend so it might be your chance to get in the ocean, otherwise just tape the wettie to the pool.

In short 3 or 4 SOLID sessions of 4-5km each for the next 2 weeks, then back it off.

Good luck!

Rog

Edited by Rog