I was in Busselton over the weekend for the 70.3. In the local paper was a story about a proposal before the council to fix up the road to Capel. It had been requested by WTC so that they could change the bike from a 3 lap course to a 2 lap course. With 2 laps they could increase competitor numbers to 2500. The pitch was that increased competitor numbers would bring greater revenue to the region.

Do any Busso locals know which road they are talking about?

My concern with the proposal is that with 2500 competitors on a flat course drafting would be a major problem. Having two laps would only marginally improve the drafting problem, with out any hills to break up the big packs who will come out of the swim together.

The 70.3 had a two lap cycle with 1500 athletes. From what I saw there was very little drafting. Having wave starts spreads the field out.

Capel is about half way between Bunbury and Busselton. They'd need to widen it significantly so I can't see it happening any time soon. I'd think they'd be more likely to consider going along the Busselton bypass to extend it as that would cause less disruption and require almost no additional work.

Ironnerd , the road I think they were talking about is Forrest Beach rd, sealing the gravel in the Capel shire. Would be a nice loop, still flat though.

• Like 1

Busso 70.3 is ITU draft legal

A few years ago this was true to a degree. TWA then changed the cycle from 2 laps to 3 laps and introduced wave starts. At the race last weekend I did not see any large packs and no blatant drafting. I did not see anyone in the penalty box either. There were plenty of TO's out on course.