Cycling after arthroscope

Clydesdale

Hey guys and girls,

Well I've bitten the bullet and booked in for surgery first week of may on my knee minor clean up to remove a chondral flap and inject Stem cells. Doc says other than the injury that cartridge and meniscus in my knee is fantastic.

I have a trip booked to follow the last two weeks of the TDF. Which gives me about 9 weeks to recover.

The doc thinks I will be sweet. But I wanted to know how long after you had a scope you were back on the bike and how long till you were back in full action.

Clydesdale.

NIne weeks will be sweet. I had a scope and meniscal flap clean up. I would have been fine but I got a post-op DVT and had to wait until it resolved before I did stuff. I think I was back doing light rides at about the 4 week mark.

You might want to put on a really gentle gear if you're planning to do any climbing. The Euros run triples.

NIne weeks will be sweet. I had a scope and meniscal flap clean up. I would have been fine but I got a post-op DVT and had to wait until it resolved before I did stuff. I think I was back doing light rides at about the 4 week mark.

You might want to put on a really gentle gear if you're planning to do any climbing. The Euros run triples.

I've got a 28 still on from 3 peaks. Alpe duez an Von toux are on the itinerary...........

• 2 weeks later...

Well op is in the morning and the 10 week countdown to France begins. 2 weeks sick leave lining up with the Giro isn't to bad a result.

Fingers crossed all goes well tomorrow on the table.

Best of luck, fingers crossed for you too.

For my 3 arthroscopes I got them done on the Friday and I recall walking without crutches and going to a restaurant on Sunday. Could have gone to work (sitting on my arse in IT) but took the week off. You'll be fine....

So its day 3 of rehab and my knee feels great. There is almost no swelling, I can flex my major quad muscles and walk with only a minor limp. Stairs are an issue. This Doc is a genius. First appointment at Physio today.

9 weeks and 4 days to go.

Go Dr Sam ! love him to bits. Brad I ran 10km on Saturday night with the new knee and no pain whatsoever (apart from the fact i hadnt trained!) Dr Sam is a genius.

Go Dr Sam ! love him to bits. Brad I ran 10km on Saturday night with the new knee and no pain whatsoever (apart from the fact i hadnt trained!) Dr Sam is a genius.

Thats awesome news. Had My first Physio appointment today. The Physio couldn't beleive that I went under the knife in Monday. Full movement in the joint, very little swelling and no muscle wastage. I did ride up until the day before the op.

I'm aloud on the wind trainer very easy on Sunday. then back to See Dr Sam Thursday. Only annoyance is the damn Lipo holes and compression bandage.

Back to my exercises and Ice it is for me!

For mine I found the compression tights were fantastic (eg 2XU or similar), they gave my knee what felt like a lot more stability. I used them a lot after the op when exercising or after. Better than the tubi-sock that they would normally give you.

For mine I found the compression tights were fantastic (eg 2XU or similar), they gave my knee what felt like a lot more stability. I used them a lot after the op when exercising or after. Better than the tubi-sock that they would normally give you.

Hey BC no compression bandage on the knee, don't need it as there is no swelling. I was talking about the compression bandage to help with the Lipo in my stomach, from where they took the stem cells.

• 2 weeks later...

Recovery continues to go fantastically. Is that a word?

First road ride this morning. 50km along beach road was great to get out on the road after three weeks.

Not a single twinge in my knee. GOLD!

45 Days till France!

Amazing stuff...stem cells in knees..a few years ago this was cutting edge stuff in vetinary medicine (race horses)....now it's people.

Wish I had both my knees cleaned out at the same time. No stem cells just cutting away a tear in the meniscus.

Pain free and running again in no time whatsoever.

Great news Brad. I go back to see Dr Sam with the latest MRI's next week and we shall see the progress and how much has happened. Its 10 months on and not a twinge or a tweak.

Let us know how you go Bronwyn. With the follow up MRI's have they been getting them done at no cost?

I see him again on the 27th.

first swim last night 2km light kicking with pool buoy no dramas.

3 weeks since op yesterday.

Sydney Adventist does a good deal on their imaging in the evenings when it's not needed for hospital patients. Very cost effective. Not sure they have an MRI but I suspect they do.

Archived