sunnygirl

IM Melbourne- race day !!!!!!!!

Taking away all the complaining yesterday this is what it is about - who came first in the conditions and race presented - condrats on all those who did well and got a spot

I am sure it could be argued over and over what could of happened but it is those who adapt best who are true inspriations and champions - not those who have an issue with every little thing along the way - not enough of this, no chairs, no marching band for my finish, mike did not call my name out, they ran out of caviar flavoured gels etc

Again - good work on being the fastest on the day and racing to the conditions presented and getting the job done

It may not have been a full ironman but it was a race and a hard one by all accounts

Not me guys. Blew up hard and struggled to the finish. 26th just ain't going to cut it. Certainly was nowhere near good enough out there yesterday.

I had a decent swim but chased way too hard on the first 25km on the bike to go with the strong bikers. I found my position by the first turn around but at no stage in the entire bike leg was I able to relax and conserve energy. As much as I had told myself prior to the race to swallow my pride and ride smart, I just did not execute it and paid the price big time.

Knocked the first 8km of the run on goal pace but once again was not comfortable at all and deteriorated miserably. Pretty demoralising when you are feeling rubbish and going backwards fast.

I see you're on the entry list for Cairns and am glad I've moved up an AG this year :D

Ah the usual crap on here, I actually had a bit of fun in the swim once we got to the turn can, up to that point it was mayhem and if anyone got into trouble they wouldnt have been spotted. Short step swell with cresting waves at the turn bouy meant a bit of body surfing was in order! No problems with the instructions and went around the final can mainly cause the waves and current dragged you down that way. Safety was certainly a prime concern and agree with the decision.

Bike was tough and got the last 10km into the changing headwind.

Never expected the run to be pretty as lack of training and injuries left me short on this. Still set out on usual 5-5:30 pace and got to Mordy and then my stomach just stopped functioning. Couldnt eat or drink for the rest of the run. Run a bit then nauseous so walk but couldnt puke untl the 31km mark. ah thats better. Desperate need of fluid so had a SIP of water and bugger its back. Had to walk the last 4km as all energy was gone due to lack of nutrition. Had a rest on the rail just before the shute and did a bit of dry retching - ah better!! Managed to run up the shute!!! Good thing its a point to point as had to keep going. only added another hour to the mara time but felt like death. Nothing left! weighed in at 70kg. Last night was 63.8!

!

Edited by symo

Spot on their Phoebus. Ihave been volunteering at IM on and off for 12 years. I too cannot do a short shift. Most times it's a working a few hours prior to the start then until about 1 hour after swim cut-off. A quick B & E roll then supporting until midday. Have a 1 hour kip then back again to work until the last person gets across the line after midnight.

I am there for everyone, to get them across the line and celebrate their achievements and ensure their safety. There's only 1 thing better on the day than helping people across the line and that is helping frinds across the line. Sometine I have to be careful as I remember almost braking Spaceman's ribs I hugged him that hard plus also swinging Skel around off her feet as she finished.

It's the best drug ever.

FM

• Like 1

Not sure on how far my AG rolled down.

That was my first IM experience... went 9:19

Loved/hated it.

Swim was a clusterf-k. Drafting was frustrating (to see dicks draft off into the distance). Wind was a bitch.

But, I *really* enjoyed the volunteers, the crowds, the support, and the finish - including the ambos in the med tent ;)

When do they do the Kona qual stuff. If the race was yesterday, was it done today, or is it later today?

M40-44 rolled down to at least 25th!

Yep but still went 9.05 so not exactly taking it easy. There were 19 slots in that age group so 8.58 got you there automatically...

If i was there i would have done the swim twice to complete the proper distance.

If i was there i would have done the swim twice to complete the proper distance.

What about the final 600-800m?

:)

I was spectating at Brighton, had a great time. Was following quite a few but really enjoyed supporting everyone. Friends I was with thought I was mad when I kept yelling "go tranny" :)

Bad luck Steno and Nick77 was wondering why your run times were'nt showing on tracker.

Symo can't believe you turned around and came back towards me on that slight downhill!

PFFF, I would have gone around 3 times just to be sure, and then dragged any strugglers to shore Hoff-styley

Then I woulda stopped to kiss babies in T1 (as long as they were over 16)

• Like 1

We had a great time last night spending over 5 hours at the finish line with the TDC group cheering finishers home !! A huge congrats to everyone out there racing yesterday and all the volunteers. Its is great seeing so many smiles of the people running down that last 50 meters in the finish chute. Saw a dozen or so trannie hats and it was great to see OTTER cruise home.

A link below to the swim start video on you-tube.....good luck trying to spot your self :smile1:

Good point. I would have done the swim 3 times.

Because i am an openwater man. I used to be a lifeguard. I know the ocean.

We had a great time last night spending over 5 hours at the finish line with the TDC group cheering finishers home !! A huge congrats to everyone out there racing yesterday and all the volunteers. Its is great seeing so many smiles of the people running down that last 50 meters in the finish chute. Saw a dozen or so trannie hats and it was great to see OTTER cruise home.

A link below to the swim start video on you-tube.....good luck trying to spot your self :smile1:

Ive seen more chop at a teppanyaki bar

From those who put numbers on the forum*, Little Bear is fastest Tranny!:

NAME Race # Time

Little Bear 793 08:47:19

rcs 875 08:56:14

Mrando 455 09:04:26

steve_c 152 09:19:34

nuked 859 09:43:31

Bozza 1053 09:44:58

Mike 1696 09:53:10

PortRooster 1365 09:57:30

TPP 1824 09:58:10

Tivale 1775 10:13:30

POT 1705 10:22:14

ltrevask 498 10:23:51

Joostoz 914 10:25:44

MrG 1161 10:52:00

Tinman2 591 11:07:18

Ratdog 706 11:16:23

Pete 2007 11:16:30

Far West 2054 11:38:38

Supamau 390 11:42:46

Symo 1993 11:50:58

NigelW 1778 12:20:57

bored@work 821 13:09:27

Swanny 1991 13:19:26

MrsG 1488 13:28:38

Stacey 1477 13:47:08

Cape_Horn 395 14:23:41

MxWalker 2098 14:40:10

Froudie 332 14:48:13

Stikman 611 DNF

Steno 488 DNF

Hymie 1087 DNS

*Numbers I could see in the list that filtered and sorted easily in Excel.

Results as per tracker. All care, no responsibility taken.

Edited by Tyno

I can't find the Kona qualifiers any where yet, anyone know of a link? Or, what did the 40-44 roll down to? A mate went 9.06 and 27th!

I can't find the Kona qualifiers any where yet, anyone know of a link? Or, what did the 40-44 roll down to? A mate went 9.06 and 27th!

I know for a fact that 25th got in.

Did a bit of training with him when I was in Tokyo, along with Niseko.

It probably wouldn't help if I told you he only took up the sport on 2008 :shock:

Lives on Hong Kong now I think.

He was getting coached by Bruce Thomas for a while

fluro

Yep I'll never forget his regular appearances at the Saturday morning Bike-run brick at O-Daiba wearing his bright red 2XU one piece. "Don't look down" was all I could think.

He has come along way since he was 5 minutes back from me in Ishigaki 2011 where he ran 38 high - a long way from his low 3hr IM marys he's been pumping out over the 12 months. Then there was the time the poor fella got a bit dizzy at the 18kms mark at Taiwan 70.3 in 2011. So dizzy he took a wrong turn and missed the last 1.5km out and back on the run course and ended up in the finisher's shute. Took his Vegas slot and 2 spots up on the AG podium from me to boot. I was 2nd or 3rd overall off the bike that day and knew he didn't pass me and an eyewitness had a whisper in my ear. Chased it up and got the slot rescinded, but his placing still stands online. He is in HK and well resourced, I heard he trashed an uninsured Ferrari. To be fair he was an elite 400m hurdler in his youth, pretty average swimmer, and his bike has gone up a notch or two.

Yeah but add 30 to 40 mins for a full 3.8 and it sounds about right

Oh yeah... forgot about that...

Maybe the video doesn't do it justice but that doesn't look very bad to me...

I agree. I was obviously not there, and can only go by the photos and videos I have seen. Once people made it through the chop at the start it looked quite OK. It seems to be more chop from the wind rather than 'waves' than I'm used to at the Sunshine/ Gold Coast.

Yeah i was thinking the same thing. It's called an open water swim. But did you see the guy in trouble just at the end of the video? Only a few hundred meters out and already he had a lifeguard on a board next to him. I suppose a lot of folks do all their training in a pool, whether by choice not.

But I wasn't actually there. You can't see currents. It was probably worse further off shore. It never looks as bad from above.

But # 2. If part of the reason was for safety, then perhaps the organisers didn't provide sufficient safety personel/craft for a potentially weather affected open water swim. Perhaps 2000 in a mass start is just trouble no matter which way you look at it. Looked to be pretty chaotic, and there's no way you'd find me anywhere near the middle of it!

But I wasn't there.

I was watching from the safety of the pier and agree it didn't look too bad, 3 to 4 foot short sharp rollers - nothing that i would swim with a few training mates... BUT ...when you add 2000 people all heading for a single point (which wasn't visible due to the rollers), dropping off the top/back of waves onto each other, and inadequate water safety for the number of swimmers, you can understand why it was cut short.

i also understand why they headed the swim straight into the weather - if they had swimmers going across the waves, people would have drifted all over the place, as it was people were at least in a single-ish line out and back.

As has also been mentioned they were a number of people who withdrew once they hit chest deep water and then had the chop breaking over their heads.

Were the conditions safe for a small controllable number of competent swimmers...yes.

Were the conditions safe for 2000 people, with no controls in place, no guarantee people were competent open water swimmers, limited visibility and with limited water safety...no.

Well done to everybody who went around yesterday, it was inspirational stuff!

I was a mess. Beach start with 2000 people heading out and turning sharp right at the end of the pier was just plain dangerous. 2000+ people doing a mass start on a 1500m *narrow* swim course in pretty decent chop and a strong current = pretty sketchy. Out the back (after the turn) the swell was pretty big, and we had swimmers going head on at each-other after the u-turn at the can. the current was strong, washing most folks in well up the beach 200m or so from the swim exit.

20329e.jpg

does anyone know where we can find the Kona qualifier list? Or if there is even one?

:dolphin:

The video makes it look pretty calm. What's all the fuss? :)

Waves definitely seemed bigger from water level. The biggest waves I hit were out at the turn buoy. Guess 2m trough-crest.

The video makes it look pretty calm. What's all the fuss? :)

Waves definitely seemed bigger from water level. The biggest waves I hit were out at the turn buoy. Guess 2m trough-crest.

2m sounds about right, it was def bigger out past the pier than at the beach, the stuff on the video does look a lot smaller than half of what we swam through. I would have been able to do 2 laps, but it would have been hard yakka (no issues here, thats what I signed up for to do an Ironman). I can totally understand why they made the decision to shorten the swim for a safety perspective, after all if something goes wrong they look pretty bad and jepardise the future of the event, I'm just thankful that they didnt cancel the swim altoghether, as im sure they would have at least discussed the point, which race director wants to be responsible for the death of an individual, no matter how underprepared they were for the event. I did hear in Transition on race morning one dickhead talking about how he hadnt done any swimming outside of the pool, people like that arent going to pull out on the morning, they are going to assume the RD will be providing enough safety measures to look after them, unfortunately its the culture of our times.

On a personal note I had a cracker of a day, first Ironman and loved the whole thing, swim was good fun, the bike course is great, only saw drafting in the first lap (as a 6 hour bike leg), and the run course is a great slowly ticking down the kms to get to St Kilda. I was hoping for a 12hr day, so I think my 11:07 in the shortened swim came pretty close.

There is a fair bit of difference between wading out through a 2m surf at the beach and swimming a few kms continually through it. I have seen another video taken towards the end of the pier on Facebook (private user posted) and the majority of the field were flailing about and banging around into each other through no fault of their own. Surprised there wasn't a visible vomit trail off the vid I watched.

Yea 2 meter was what I was thinking with tumbling tops due to the wind blowing them over and slop all over the place.

2 metres ! Hahahaha!

There's no way those waves were 2m - it's a joke really - they finally put on a race with a challenging swim in what is called an "IRONMAN" event - and then shorten it to suit those who are not "IRONMEN" - has anyone here seen video of the Commonwealth Games triathlon in NZ - back when TU was racing them - now that was rough - but triathlon was tougher back then :sleepy:

Edited by AP
  • Like 2

Considering it was never going to be held in a pool - do you think most people should do some open water swimming prior to race day?

Considering it was never going to be held in a pool - do you think most people should do some open water swimming prior to race day?

Yes

But if you live 4hrs drive from some waves it does get a little difficult to do too often

I think the main thing that is coming out of this is that the organisers ( RD) should of had a better consignacy plan

This type of swell does seem to happen a lot down in franga at this time of year so maybe they should of had a better thought out shortened course that they have looked at and tested pre raceso they know what would work and what doesn't and more water safety personal (paid) and possibly send people out in multiple waves

This should be written up months ahead so everyone knows what would happen if conditions get rough

You don't want to be making it up as you go along race morning

Clearly what they did on Sunday didn't work mainly due to numbers of people , the design ( shape) of the course and lack of explaining the course pre race

I think there needs to be some more thinking and planing and less hoping for good weather ( its melb)and finger crossing

Before someone dies

Cheers

Ip

virgin here just did sub 12. pretty happy with that. I underestimated how tough the run would be, and I'm an accomplished marathoner.

Tough day but good fun

virgin here just did sub 12. pretty happy with that. I underestimated how tough the run would be, and I'm an accomplished marathoner.

Tough day but good fun

It's amazing how often you hear people say that

Ironman has nothing to do with running marathons

Cheers

Ip

Edit to add

Well done on your result

Edited by ironpo

It's amazing how often you hear people say that

Ironman has nothing to do with running marathons

Yeah baby - so true :smartarse:

There's no way those waves were 2m - it's a joke really - they finally put on a race with a challenging swim in what is called an "IRONMAN" event - and then shorten it to suit those who are not "IRONMEN" - has anyone here seen video of the Commonwealth Games triathlon in NZ - back when TU was racing them - now that was rough - but triathlon was tougher back then :sleepy:

and back when my Granddad was 15 he worked down a mine without any of the "Mandatory" safety equipment used today.....doesn't make him any tougher or more of a man than miners of today...it just means people in charge of running things now are more aware of potential dangers and put measures in place to mitigate them.

Yep ya sign the waiver...blah blah blah.....so what, doesn't mean that an organiser should still run the event as planned if there are potential dangers like were there yesterday.

If you watch the video it doesn't look too bad (the video I took looks the same) it does not truly show the conditions. The waves the other side of the pier were much bigger, breaking against the pier and looked to be creating a swirling current as the water flowed under the pier and across where the swim start was.

I watched one swimmer signal for assistance about 150 metres into the swim. A lifeguard swam out to him without their rescue tube, why I don't understand, and when the lifeguard got there tried signalling to a rescue boat and jet ski who didn't appear to see them due to the size of the waves. Fortunately the lifeguard didn't get dragged under and they both made it back to shore. It looked like there was a rip there which was about 150 - 200 metres down the beach from the swim exit.

Yes people had the opportunity to pull out of the event when they saw the conditions, but how many of us would pull out? You have trained for months, you are pumped up on race morning with adrenaline and nerves, the buzz in transition gets to you and there is no way you are thinking straight enough to pull out.

With around 2200 swimmers attempting to swim in that for 3.8km, no matter whether you had 2200 extremely competent swimmers or some weaker swimmers, there would be no way you could safely manage multiple rescue situations that would more than likely have occurred had the full swim gone ahead.

I find it amusing that people who weren't there to see the real conditions, as quite a few posters have said they have only seen pics or video or heard from others, can sit at the keyboard and bag the shit out of the organisers for making the decision and make comments that people who competed "aren't an Ironman" because of the shortened swim. Maybe you all need to move away from the keyboard walk outside take a big deep breath of fresh air and think how good it is to be alive, how good it is that nobody drowned in a swim in a race where most of us compete for shits and giggles.

There are far worse things going on in the world than cutting short the swim leg of a race.

• Like 4

more swim course footage -featuring people turning early!! With race numbers on their heads!

• Like 1

Shit i better write that down .... Ok to cheat when there are worse things going on in the world - got it. Thanks.

Edited by yoyo