sunnygirl

IM Melbourne- race day !!!!!!!!

Your analogies don't stack up because while watching Marino run I was not on the course, and as stated earlier deliberately took a different route at Mordy because running spectating at that point would've necessitated being on the course.

I was never "too close". There's a nature strip or parked cars between the footpath where I ran and the course where Marino was through the vast majority of that section.... though there seemed to be quite a few age groupers later on who didn't seem to like the designated course and chose to run the footpath instead.

Don't stress champ, most of these whingers couldn't hold sub 4 min kms anyway ;)

DNF here too. Twisted my knee while running in cleats in T1 and gave up after one lap of what felt like single leg drill.

I didn't find the swim too bad and would have gladly done the full quota but having said that, people who are marginal swimmers would have died today if it was. You can't just waive your liability by making it their choice.

To all those calling it soft ect, wake up to yourselves.

I am 100% supportive of the decision made by the race organisers. At the end of the day, it is just a race and safety comes first and foremost. Put yourself in the shoes of the water safety volunteers trying their best to watch over 2000 people out there. Also the race organisers instructing the volunteers to go out there to do their best to watch us.

Swimmers were spread out 100's of meters apart and in those conditions they would have had to be within 2m of someone to be able to see if they were in trouble.

Yes you signed up to do a 3.8km swim but also when you signed the dotted line, it stated that race organisers have the right to adjust the course if they see fit. If you don't like it, don't sign up.

Some of the packs out there were shameful. I was riding in a legal paceline of about ten and we were swallowed up by a group of about 30 riders three wide up each others asses. Two seconds later, crash and six blokes come down. It was embarrassing.

Saw one bloke as I was heading back in on the swim stick his head up, stop and turn around right next to me. You mate are a joke and i got your number too champ.

DNF here too. Twisted my knee while running in cleats in T1 and gave up after one lap of what felt like single leg drill.

I didn't find the swim too bad and would have gladly done the full quota but having said that, people who are marginal swimmers would have died today if it was. You can't just waive your liability by making it their choice.

Hard luck mate. Any word on Cam?

I trained in the bay for this race..

I think the call was spot on to reduce the swim and to be honest I was glad it was especially when I was picked up on a wave that had me looking down on the people on the jetty...and then to have the next wave come and then I was looking up at people at the crest(It was OH SHIT)..

my biggest problem was not being able to hear Mike giving out the swim directs(terrible echo), so most people were relying on "following the leader" or asking the life guards as we swam, especially at the 1st bouy..it was a collective - ok where do we go now..

• Like 1

Just got back from a huge day of spectating IM Melbourne. Thoroughly enjoyed it, but I think spectating is even harder than racing (hats off to all the partners and family etc that do this all the time!)

I spent a lot of time in the closing hours of the race walking beside those who were struggling, trying to encourage them to get to the finish line. Interestingly, I'd say that the majority of these people said the they wished the swim had been left at the full distance, a fair few said the swim should have been scrapped altogether as it was dangerous, and the remainder thought the organisers made the right call.

As I didn't do the event it makes no difference to me, but to put on an event where reportedly up to a quarter of the field did not even complete the shortened swim course distance it all seems to be a bit unfair, especially when there's podiums and Kona spots on the line. Sure you can say that it's only a sport, but if it's too dangerous to swim then cancel the swim leg.

Edited by Go Easy

Just got back from a huge day of spectating IM Melbourne. Thoroughly enjoyed it, but I think spectating is even harder than racing (hats off to all the partners and family etc that do this all the time!)

I spent a lot of time in the closing hours of the race walking beside those who were struggling, trying to encourage them to get to the finish line. Interestingly, I'd say that the majority of these people said the they wished the swim had been left at the full distance, a fair few said the swim should have been scrapped altogether as it was dangerous, and the remainder thought the organisers made the right call.

As I didn't do the event it makes no difference to me, but to put on an event where reportedly up to a quarter of the field did not even complete the shortened swim course distance it all seems to be a bit unfair, especially when there's podiums and Kona spots on the line. Sure you can say that it's only a sport, but if it's too dangerous to swim then cancel the swim leg.

Good stuff Go Easy...wasn't there at all (Work) but I guarantee I would have really struggled in these conditions.

I've never DNF-ed a thing in my life, but looking at that???? Not so sure.Congrats to the finishers...;looked amazing.

..and yes...the organisers made the right call. Safety first.

When we all went for a brisk practice swim in Cairns in 2012..and nobody chickened out, I was reminded that peer pressure has been getting people killed since Adam was a pup.

people don't sign up to die.

• Like 2

There was some reasonable swell out past the pier but the main issue for me was 2000 people all swimming on a pretty narrow course; chaos. Plus T1 was very congested and on the first lap of the bike was virtually impossible to find space. It freed up after the first tunnel,

Heaps more support on the Eastlink and the run this year. A much harder day than last year too. 10.14 for me

Didn't surf life saving have two deaths in different years at their australian championships, and as a result change venue and rules - competitors having to wear some sort of floatation device? Inquests, inquiries, questions of organisers being negligent etc? One single drowning yesterday, apart from tragedy, would bring all of that and every chance with adverse findings if as above water safety people could not even see swimmers in trouble.

Anyhow here's how I saw it.

Mass start shortened swim with a good proportion (half?) of the field not really knowing where to go just a shemozzle. On the beach trying to understand the (latest) new course after listening to the instructions over the PA system. People around me also unsure. Follow the leader(s). Massive number of AGers well out along pier before start. Then hundreds of people at the turn bouy all going what now, getting pushed into each other by the waves/current/not knowing where to go. Half the swimmers simply turning early to avoid the mess.

I wound up well south of the pier as on the way back in some of the water safety people were saying 'stay right', and instructions said orange bouys always to the left. But I think they were bouys still in water from previous revised course. I'm still unclear as to what final revised course actually was (diagram?). Seemed straight out along and past pier, 180° turn, then straight back in along pier is what most people did.

The shortened swim led to massive congestion on the bike, for first lap at least in MOP. Bunches everywhere. Like Beach Rd Sat morning. Took until second lap to thin out. Inevitable consequence of shortened swim. FOP looked fine when I saw them going by, as expected, likewise BOP. Saw someone tow someone else (male and female) for most of first lap, about a metre separation.

Run pretty honest, guess as it has to be, except for question of fresher legs. Cooler southerly. Great view I reckon.

Anhow mostly enjoyed it in the end. Got in just over 11 hours. Few minutes slower on the bike and run than last year. But improvement in transitions (20 rather than 30min :))

Good comment Truck...a lot of comments from experts that were not even there.

The swim was 1.6km (depending on how far the current took you and which buoy you went around). The waves were big and made sighting almost impossible. The person who set this swim course obviously has never raced, did not take into account the fact that 2100 swimmers were going to start at the same time. He/she should be sacked. The decision to turn right at the pier could of ended in disaster, the two turn around buoys were set in a direct line off the pier and many people didn't even turn around them. On the return leg there was another buoy set south of the pier, many missed that. Water safety couldn't stay on their boards because of the large waves. A simple triangle course (like the one announced the night before) would of been safer and easier to control with much less congestion.

Because of the shortened swim course drafting was bad, the first and second age group "bunches" swapped off until the 45km mark. The ride was windy but a great surface/course. The run was great, the people at the aid stations all did a terrific job in tough windy conditions.

Seems strange the volunteers were sensational and the people getting paid still make stupid decisions. Organisers again had no control over swimmers at the start or in the water on course with swimmers picking their on route.

The fact is the field is too big for one wave, either need to split the field or reduce entries, will reduce swim congestion and drafting, it's that simple WTC.

To all those calling it soft ect, wake up to yourselves.

I am 100% supportive of the decision made by the race organisers. At the end of the day, it is just a race and safety comes first and foremost. Put yourself in the shoes of the water safety volunteers trying their best to watch over 2000 people out there. Also the race organisers instructing the volunteers to go out there to do their best to watch us.

Swimmers were spread out 100's of meters apart and in those conditions they would have had to be within 2m of someone to be able to see if they were in trouble.

Yes you signed up to do a 3.8km swim but also when you signed the dotted line, it stated that race organisers have the right to adjust the course if they see fit. If you don't like it, don't sign up.

Some of the packs out there were shameful. I was riding in a legal paceline of about ten and we were swallowed up by a group of about 30 riders three wide up each others asses. Two seconds later, crash and six blokes come down. It was embarrassing.

Saw one bloke as I was heading back in on the swim stick his head up, stop and turn around right next to me. You mate are a joke and i got your number too champ.

So why can you do 1 lap and not 2 ?

Grumpytex... One of the key people who set the course is a gun athlete, wins IM outright for age groupers and has nothing but the athlete in mind.

Your hysterical comment is ridiculous. They reset the course numerous times on Saturday and while we were asleep on Sunday - not so easy to change plans in the matter of an hour or so. And to get the various groups to decide and approve.

If you can do it better, volunteer.

(null)

Edited by Steno
  • Like 1

Grumpytex... One of the key people who set the course is a gun athlete, wins IM outright for age groupers and has nothing but the athlete in mind.

Your hysterical comment is ridiculous. They reset the course numerous times on Saturday and while we were asleep on Sunday - not so easy to change plans in the matter of an hour or so. And to get the various groups to decide and approve.

(null)

Sorry Steno, but being a good athlete doesn't make him a good organiser. I haven't seen one post on here that suggests the swim course was a good one.

As for suggesting that someone should volunteer to do a better job, well ironman is a 'premium product' and I don't think it's too much to ask to have organisers and plans in place that don't confuse people before the start of a race.

I agree with tex the guy had no clue. Why not swim along the shoreline -even with the swell. could have had people running back down the beach between laps. Instead they put people over the outside bar where the swell was breaking hardest and turned them 180 into themselves and the jetty. I don't care how many IMs the guy has done he doesn't know how to run a race that big in the surf. Typical wtc cluster f-k. Btw tex is race director who does have a clue not some armchair expert.

Edited by Jimmy C

(null)

Was speaking to said organiser post race and they had to pretty much out and back as they could not do the safety parallel with the waves. without knowing all the details you just have to trust the guys in charge and there would have been no better person in the driver's chair than this bloke

I will say the swim course was fine... The announcement instructions I don't think were accurate but I had no issue with the course. People not keeping the orange bout to their left and not rounding the white boys on their left was the issue.

(null)

So why can you do 1 lap and not 2 ?

Double the distance, double the time people are exposed to the conditions, double the chance of a tragedy.

When mitigating risks, this would have been one of the measures implemented to reduce the risk.

Exactly, if it was that unsafe just cancel the swim. The whole thing is a massive shambles, to have a course that is out and back in said conditions is borderline irresponsible.

I watched the swim and thought it was going to be a clusterf**k mainly because the PA system was echoing too much and too many people were talking and not listening. The swim director and race organisers made their best efforts to have a safe controlled swim course. The competitors mostly seemed confused as to which way to go. Add to that the waves and it all got a bit much for some folk.

I swim in the bay regularly and will say I didn't think the conditions were really bad. I also appreciate that that the IM swim would have been the only open water swim about 300 in the race would do this summer. But, the swim is part of the ironman and quite a few of yesterday's competitors would do well to pay more attention to their swimming preparation. What would have happened if the decision had been made to do the whole distance?

As for the bike leg, I've seen smaller peletons in the Tour Down Under. For those that stayed legal for most of the ride, well done. Tough conditions to ride in but well done for racing clean. For those riding in packs, especially the two crashes I saw, that's why numpty triathletes like us lot aren't allowed to ride in packs. Safety, mostly, but its also drafting which is cheating.

Agree it's a hard course to spectate on. Tried to watch the run from a few different spots as I rode the motorbike up from Frankston to St Kilda and it wasn't easy. Finish area is a better layout than last year.

For the drafting comments..... Lets look at the maths...

2200 competitors. Lets say 1500 did between 25min and 40min (rough guess).

12m gap means riders need to be spread over 18km to be legal. Now, I don't think it is possible to space 18km in 15minutes.

Does it make it right? No. Is it unavoidable, yep pretty much.

So two years in a row the race has been marred with swim problem, followed by drafting complaints. No doubt the course is fast so you are certain of a PB. But does Melbourne have a limited life span?

I mean you invest huge time if you want to take these events seriously and to year in year out have it hinge on the weather in a location that is renowned for the most variable conditions going is it worth the risk entering????

Great to see out of 226 posts so far, think a handful have been about people's actual results and celebrating them, and the rest whingeing about the actual race or countering to the whingeing about the race. Trannies used to be a useful source to actually know what was going on in a race with regular updates on how pros and trannies alike were going, yesterday I found it to be a bunch of desk jockeys offering up opionions in some cases on what they actually knew nothing about. Most trannies we only know how they went after they have posted themselves.

• Like 2

Agree- and after watching a clip of the swim start I now understand the need to cut the swim course.

Yes it wasn't a complete IM distance but at the end of the day everyone out there raced the set course !!!!

Well done to all the trannies who raced- some great times in tough conditions :)

• Like 1

Ended up on a drip. According to their scales I was 68 kilos - I haven't been that weight in 25 years ! Apparently a drop of 10kg since weigh in (I haven't been near that heavy for 2 years...) but I suspect that's nonsense.

Great effort. Sounds like a very tough day. Out of curiousity, were you officially weighed at the start or registration?

Great to see out of 226 posts so far, think a handful have been about people's actual results and celebrating them, and the rest whingeing about the actual race or countering to the whingeing about the race. Trannies used to be a useful source to actually know what was going on in a race with regular updates on how pros and trannies alike were going, yesterday I found it to be a bunch of desk jockeys offering up opionions in some cases on what they actually knew nothing about. Most trannies we only know how they went after they have posted themselves.

Can understand what you are saying, but the points being discussed were pretty significant.

The swim start/conditions/course cutting/descriptions are talking points.

I wasn't surprised that the swim was reduced. I would have been even less surprised if it was cancelled. I came out in about 290th, having basically bludged the first half, but I have a pretty extensive training background in open water, particularly in the chop. I can understand that competitors would be happy, annoyed, and everything in between in regards to the reduction, but IMO, a full 3.8 would have been unmanageable.

Onto the bike-as I started in the first ~10%, I got to watch bunch after bunch go past me. People weren't even trying to be subtle. Absolutely ridiculous.

The race should be capped at 1500 people. I think that would help with some of the problems that keep coming up, not only at Melb, but seemingly world wide. I doubt it will happen though.

Thanks. Weigh in at rego. On my home scales I was around 73.2kg when I left for Melbourne. In the med tent I heard a doctor say ignore the weigh ins there where some discrepancies. The did done blood tests before I got the drip

You said above you were taking additional salt didn't you?

Probably a few dozen times it's been mentioned that taking extra salt also carries risk of G.I. problems, bloating and diarrhea.

:shocking::shocking::shocking: i saw Bored@work with 2 meat pies in his hand at the 30k Mark of the run,Maybe He left His run too late?. :shutup::shutup::shutup:

Great post Phoebus..

Cotton eyes, don't confuse yesterday's arm chair complaints with today's post race observations. Some folks on here are making pretty pertinent points.

Who wishes that today's weather was yesterday. Absolutely perfect race conditions today. That's MelVegas for ya!

• Like 1

My IM yesterday comprised being a volunteer at run station 2. I had an absolute blast!!

The number of competitors who took time out to thank us whilst they were racing was amazing, and the number of people apologizing for throwing cups at the bin and missing was just hilarious!!

On the downside, i think you've all inspired me to lift my game and i can now foresee some 30 hour training weeks in my future ;)

All the athletes did an amazing job yesterday - well done!!

• Like 1

Can understand what you are saying, but the points being discussed were pretty significant.

Calling competitors soft and not true ironman is "pretty signifcant"? Sounds more petty to me...

Loud cheers everywhere on the course for the blind guy on the tandem with his guide and well deserved. Both had a great sense of humour and nothing was too much trouble. Saw them thanking the vollies everywhere they went and thought some others could do well to spend some time with them.

Pretty hard for the BOPers who headed out onto a head wind on the second lap, to have the wind swing around to give them a head wind on the way home as well. Would have been a tough day for anyone still on the bike course past 2.30 or so.

Saw one or 2 trannies on the day but didn't get a chance to say hi.

Saw a few medical issues on the day as well, some more serious than others. Special mention to the guy coming in at the end of the second lap of the bike who ran into the back of the ambo, might want to take some road lessons to understand that they will slow down going into narrow spaces and if you are half a metre off of the back of them, you don't get much stopping time. Hope they at least made it out onto the run.

Hope the guy I chatted to at 11.30 who threw in the towel after his 4th flat for the day feels a bit more up. Tough day to have that happen to you.

Double the distance, double the time people are exposed to the conditions, double the chance of a tragedy.

When mitigating risks, this would have been one of the measures implemented to reduce the risk.

Its a joke!! Everyone wone wants flat bike course, flat run... "oh no, a new waves lets cancel the swim"

If I'd been there I'd reckon I'd have been gutted not having the full swim, but I'd assume they made the decision for a reason. As I wasn't there I seem to think that the change has somewhere between bucklees and no affect on me. Seems to have a big affect on a lot who didn't turn up though ;)

Damn shame to have the thread overtaken with this, rather than the usual full of reports of where everyone is. Them's the breaks though.

Yeah, where's the usual running list of trannies, and numbers, racing. And their times, and their finish place. Heck, I'm not even sure exactly where TPP finished yet, I'm just guessing. Was working all day yesterday so checking in here was my only catch up (also, I barely know anyones real names so can't check myself). Maybe because rattie was racing it didn't all happen.

From the roll call thread:

TPP - 1824

MxWalker - 2098 (and just realised I've gone up an age group!)

Nick777

Bozza - 1053 (40-45)

ltrevask - 498

PortRooster - 1365

Mrando - 455

Tivale - 1775

Pete - 2007 (which was the year of my last IM at Port Mac )

Symo - 1993

Toolish

Tinman2 591

Cape_Horn - 395

Stikman - 611

Smiffy

Joostoz - 914

Swanny - 1991

POT - 1705

gregb

secteur

pave

Must tri harder

Froudie - 332

nuked - 859

AndyBoy25

bigempty

rcs #875

Captain Slow

LzBones

MrsG #1488 (& MrG #1161)

Clownboy

steve_c #152

Runforestrun

Bam Bam

longshot

Dave T

Catcam

Truck

Steno 488

Fui Fui

bored@work 821

NigelW - 1778

Hymie 1087 - I broke down again last night, I'm out.

Stacey 1477

Supamau #390

Otter

Simone

Ratdog 706

Little Bear 793

Mike - 1696

Far West 2054

Can't go through the results at the moment

Well done everyone who gave it a shot yesterday, I hope you each got something of value from the experience.

JimmyC got a Kona spot, and Mrando...? Anyone else?

TPP smashed the race in 9:58, 1st in her age group and off to Kona :)

Rattie came no where near his 13 hours............coming in at around 11:14

Simone had a cracker race with an 11:32- great stuff chickie :)

• Like 1

Well done everyone who gave it a shot yesterday, I hope you each got something of value from the experience.

JimmyC got a Kona spot, and Mrando...? Anyone else?

Going to Kona :)

• Like 3

Just want to give a bit of credit.... CEM had 4 people trying by my count to go to Kona and each one of them is going with a couple of them first timers.

Edited by Steno

Not me guys. Blew up hard and struggled to the finish. 26th just ain't going to cut it. Certainly was nowhere near good enough out there yesterday.

I had a decent swim but chased way too hard on the first 25km on the bike to go with the strong bikers. I found my position by the first turn around but at no stage in the entire bike leg was I able to relax and conserve energy. As much as I had told myself prior to the race to swallow my pride and ride smart, I just did not execute it and paid the price big time.

Knocked the first 8km of the run on goal pace but once again was not comfortable at all and deteriorated miserably. Pretty demoralising when you are feeling rubbish and going backwards fast.