sunnygirl

IM Melbourne- race day !!!!!!!!

Does anyone know if the results can be downloaded in a spreadsheet somewhere, rather than having to keep going back to Ironman live?

I'm sure I read something on this site about using large helium balloons attached to buoys - seems a no-brainer - no sure why the idea has never eventuated...

Trifun used them at the Hervey Bay Tri last year. Fantastic idea, very effective.

These are the buoys we use for all our club races, as well as the HB100 and trifun uses them for the HB Tri. We bought 5 of them (but unfortunately we're down to only 4 now), they're not cheap but easy to see. They're actually off-shore yachting buoys.

bouy_zps1b4c7fa4.jpg

Edit to add: Trifun attached the giant helium balloons to the top of these with a string that would have been about a metre long.

Edited by downesy68

How would wave starts work at an IM when you take into account the cutoff time? Just wondering. Isn't the whole 12am thing a big deal, and you have people cheering on those near the end etc. But if they started 20mins later the 12 cutoff would be unfair. And if you stretch the cutoff time, then someone from the first wave would get extra to cross the line?

I wasn't there, so can someone explain to me what the deal with the swim was and why it was cut short? There's footage on facebook of people swimming one way and other swimmers swimming through them - the opposite way! A proper clusterfück!

I'm not sure if this footage is misleading, but it doesn't look like the swell is big at all:

Edited by zed

I wasn't there, so can someone explain to me what the deal with the swim was and why it was cut short? There's footage on facebook of people swimming one way and other swimmers swimming through them - the opposite way! A proper clusterfück!

OK as I understand it there was grave concern over the ability to provide appropriate water safety for the athletes in the conditions at the time. (not just whether you or I can swim in rough conditions!) I think there may also have been issues with the mooring of buoys and their ability to get them to stay where they should have.

The group responsible - consisting of a vast collective wisdom of event organisors and athletes from various backgrounds and origins had a pow wow on how to still give the athletes their swim. A course was chosen that was out and back with the direction being directly into the wind and back - you can see that this was an almost perfect E-W along the pier and NE/SW after the pier (hence the R H turn).

I understand one of the big issues was board riders who were doing a tough in the conditions and they organised a rest/roster system to enable them to work. I also hear that one of the buoys broke its mooring or dragged its anchor hence moving closer to the other in a position it was not intended to be in.

Of course, I don't know all of this for sure, but the impression I get is a lot of people moving mountains to avoid cancelling the swim and I have grateful to them for having done so.

• Like 1

I wasn't there

It doesn't look like the swell is big at all:

It was bigger than it looks in video, but I reckon that would nearly always be the case with video footage.

To my mind this shows it a bit better, but still does not really do it justice.

You can see the confusion as to where to go too.

The out and back really didn't work, needed something to stop the head on collisions. And the little bouys were impossible to see at water level.

I'm just going to add that the direct into the weather and direct back, once clearing the pier, kept the majority of swimmers in a line ie minimal lateral drift. We saw more lateral drift once swimmers cleared the pier and returned to the beach, as they weren't directly with / against the swells. Having swimmers in a line increased the safety as compared to swimmers drifting with the current...

I think even in large swell, it's open water swimming; the people competing are all competent swimmers (in theory) who are in wetsuits. The chances of someone drowning are minimal and if someone did drown well then ces’t la vie. It’s one of the risks you take with open water swimming, it’s not always going to be as flat as a pancake out there. If they thought it was dangerous they should have cancelled the swim period. It’s either too dangerous to have the swim or it’s not, there isn’t an in-between. I'm not really having a go at the organisers, but really going forward, if they're worried about people drowning, then they need to have qualifying times or something.

Edited by zed

The chances of someone drowning are minimal and if someone did drown well then ces’t la vie.

and for the last time, it's 'sachet' not 'satchel' FFS

guilty as charged... F'n autocorrect!

Shit happens in sports. Players die on the rugby paddock, surfers drown in surf comps, racing car drivers die in high speed accidents, what do you suggest? Perhaps speed limiters on F1 cars so they can only do 90 or maybe surf comps should only be held in 1m swell... someone drowning is not a good thing, but at what point do you start compromising your sport to ensure someone's safety. Lifejackets for swimmers perhaps? And maybe stabilsers for the cyclists.

Edited by zed

I think even in large swell, it's open water swimming; the people competing are all competent swimmers (in theory) who are in wetsuits. The chances of someone drowning are minimal and if someone did drown well then ces’t la vie.

Heh, did I read right??

If they thought it was dangerous they should have cancelled the swim period. It’s either too dangerous to have the swim or it’s not, there isn’t an in-between.

I thought that's what they did, in effect a compromise.

I thought that's what they did, in effect a compromise.

So they determined the conditions were dangerous, but decided they could swim anyway? It doesn't make sense, either do the full swim leg or don't go in the water.

Zed, i agree that the swim shouldn't have been cut, IF THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS HAD BEEN IN PLACE - but there was no way that the water safety was anywhere near what it should have been for 2000 people. From a risk management point of view, USM/Ironman really had no choice.

So they determined the conditions were dangerous, but decided they could swim anyway? It doesn't make sense, either do the full swim leg or don't go in the water.

They mitigated the risk.

Shit happens in sports. Players die on the rugby paddock, surfers drown in surf comps, racing car drivers die in high speed accidents, what do you suggest? Perhaps speed limiters on F1 cars so they can only do 90 or maybe surf comps should only be held in 1m swell... someone drowning is not a good thing, but at what point do you start compromising your sport to ensure someone's safety. Lifejackets for swimmers perhaps? And maybe stabilsers for the cyclists.

Pull your head in.

There have been deaths in surf life saving so they reviewed the conditions in which they let the races happen.

F1 cars and tracks are constantly being made safer, and if it rains too heavily they call the race off.

I don't know Melbourne at all...is there any other options for the swim location if they want to keep this race going and make sure the swim can happen even in poor conditions?

Zed, i agree that the swim shouldn't have been cut, IF THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS HAD BEEN IN PLACE - but there was no way that the water safety was anywhere near what it should have been for 2000 people. From a risk management point of view, USM/Ironman really had no choice.

Ok. I guess they were hamstrung to an extent. I wasn't there, so I'm not in a position to judge or speculate. So I'll shut my mouth :)

We had an open water swim cancelled in Perth over summer, but that was because there was a 5m great white gnawing on one of the marker buoys!

Edited by zed

I don't know Melbourne at all...is there any other options for the swim location if they want to keep this race going and make sure the swim can happen even in poor conditions?

I rode down there in the morning at about 9ish. Port Melbourne, then St.Kilda, then Elwood all had perfect conditions, however then you have the logistical trouble of the bike leg. Yes Beach Rd has a race on with a road closure for a section of a road generally around until midday. With IM, you would need a whole day. For the record, it would be better to have a swim up closer to Melbourne and ride up and down Beach Rd even if it were 3 times, but it may be practically impossible - don't know.

Pull your head in.

There have been deaths in surf life saving so they reviewed the conditions in which they let the races happen.

F1 cars and tracks are constantly being made safer, and if it rains too heavily they call the race off.

Well said Toolish.

Right now in Brisbane the organisers of the Twilight Half Marathon event are getting slammed because a runner was hit by falling tree during a severe electrical storm. The warning for that storm was only issued by the BOM *after* the event had started. If you think that everyone would just say "c'est la vie" if somone died during that swim on Sunday morning you are living in an alternate universe.

I don't think the organisers on Sunday had thought out their contingency plans well enough in advance. It did seem that they scrambled to come up with a solution on the spot. But given that, I think their compromise was reasonable.

I can understand why athletes would be annoyed about cheating. But the rules of the sport are always about safety first, fairness second. As they should be.

Ok. I guess they were hamstrung to an extent. I wasn't there, so I'm not in a position to judge or speculate. So I'll shut my mouth :)

We had an open water swim cancelled in Perth over summer, but that was because there was a 5m great white gnawing on one of the marker buoys!

I was water safety at one of the Frankston Tri's back in the late 80's and we had a shark lurking under the swimmers - nobody except police and parks vic knew until a few days later - just thought they were there to help us out... :shocking:

All the bay is open to winds, it just depends upon the direction. Prevailing wind is from the west - so anywhere that side of the bay can be rough, if the wind is enough. This time of year probably has the most days of easterly (offshore wind). The only "safe option" would be in Patterson River - but trust me, seeing the crap that comes out of that when they dredge it (oh, and the fact there's a sewage farm upstream) nobody wants to swim in there!

Maybe they should just move it down to the Gippsland Lakes... Ironman Metung anyone?? :)

I don't think the organisers on Sunday had thought out their contingency plans well enough in advance. It did seem that they scrambled to come up with a solution on the spot. But given that, I think their compromise was reasonable.

This I believe is the problem.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the results can be downloaded in a spreadsheet somewhere, rather than having to keep going back to Ironman live?

www.multisportaustralia.com.au

This I believe is the problem.

And I am betting they have learnt from the experience and will have much better contingency plans in place next year.

Competitors learn from competing, I am sure organisers learn from running events.

I contacted multisports asking how to download an excel file of the results and they said they had not received permission from WTC to put it up yet

I contacted multisports asking how to download an excel file of the results and they said they had not received permission from WTC to put it up yet

Same :)

WTC flicked the team that delivered in 2012, bet they regret not having them involved now, USM run very good events but Ironman Melbourne is the next step up and living in Melbourne and watching the event both years it was clear things had changed.

Lots of obvious changes made which didnt work and yes i bet they learnt a lot and the de brief will be interesting.

Did anyone not get any of there bike or run bags back?!

I couldn't find my red bag with all my bike gear in it from transition, I searched twice and they took my name and number down and said they would call me. The girl taking down names and numbers had a few people written down who were missing bags. Not surprisingly I haven't received a call and I've tried chasing them again with no reply...

I am not surprised bigempty.

At approx 9:50am when I went to get my bag there was about 50 people collecting their bags. There was one person who was talking on his mobile phone checking bag numbers with wrist bands. There was at least 3-4 other spots in the fence where you could exit with the right or wrong bag.

I exited through the "official" exit and the guy on the phone looked at my number match (presumably as I was only getting one bag). The other people leaving at the same time were not checked.

In defence of the organisers, the winds turned out to be a lot stronger than forecast, forecast 20-30 kmh, and the actual 30-50 kmh. Yes, they got caught short, but it's only the 2nd year of the event. I'm sure that will they will explore what happened thoroughly and will be that much better prepared next year.

In defence of the organisers, the winds turned out to be a lot stronger than forecast, forecast 20-30 kmh, and the actual 30-50 kmh. Yes, they got caught short, but it's only the 2nd year of the event. I'm sure that will they will explore what happened thoroughly and will be that much better prepared next year.

This is not the second Triathlon ever held in the Bay nor is it the second Ironman ever held.

The buck stops with WTC.

Spot on Nealo, no excuses really and there didnt appear to be a back up plan for the swim and it was mayhem, having the functions at docklands was never going to work hence only half turned up to the carbo on Friday night and i hear that the presentation evening was not the best either compared to last year. I am sure the team from last year would have advised them what to do but again it was clear change was made for the sake of change or saving money.

I am not surprised bigempty.

At approx 9:50am when I went to get my bag there was about 50 people collecting their bags. There was one person who was talking on his mobile phone checking bag numbers with wrist bands. There was at least 3-4 other spots in the fence where you could exit with the right or wrong bag.

I exited through the "official" exit and the guy on the phone looked at my number match (presumably as I was only getting one bag). The other people leaving at the same time were not checked.

I got both of my bags back plus what was left of bike special needs, but I was surprised by the lack of security around bag pick up. The bike collection was better but between wetsuits, bike shoes and aero helmets there could be a couple of grand in those bags and the compound security was very lax.

This is not the second Triathlon ever held in the Bay nor is it the second Ironman ever held.

I never said that it was and no it was not the 2nd IM, I didn't say that either.

The buck stops with WTC. I do agree with you on this point.

I never said that it was and no it was not the 2nd IM, I didn't say that either.

The buck stops with WTC. I do agree with you on this point.

I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, sorry if that was inferred.

I was trying to get at WTC have been in charge of, running events, for a long time.

It shouldn't matter if it is the first, the second, the third time they've run events. They should have contingencies for safety critical events.

If things go wrong for bag collection, check-in, etc that may be explained away when the event is new but not for things like the swim.

Regardless of whose to blame, we have just had a race that was run on an uneven playing field. Some people swam further (in some cases a lot further) than others, and subsequently they may not have got into the same packs (legal or not) on the bike. That could make a huge difference over a 180km bike leg, and could have had a major impact on how fresh you were starting the 42km run.

I've got several friends who got Kona spots, and I think each of them deserved it.

But this was not a fair race!

I'm sure all these issues will be fully addressed before they open 2014 entries next week........

• Like 1

I got both of my bags back plus what was left of bike special needs, but I was surprised by the lack of security around bag pick up. The bike collection was better but between wetsuits, bike shoes and aero helmets there could be a couple of grand in those bags and the compound security was very lax.

I worked out my bag has nearly $1000 in gear in it!! I'll see if I can get a response from them tomorrow. Not happy!!!

Haha funny Tyno!! Should or could this race be moved to Geelong? 180ks on the great ocean road, now that appeals to me!!

I was thinking that too, except a couple of laps of the Bellarine Peninsula?

How good was the water in those satchels...?! ;)

OMG They tasted so bad, a very strong taste of chlorine

Rattie, you would have caught Tinman if you hadn't kept walking/waiting for me over the last couple of k's.

And as for Pete, well that's hardly chivalrous passing a fellow Trannie in the Finishing Shute.

Pretty competitive around the 11:15 mark. :lol::lol::lol:

I didnt have any choice but to walk mate, I was as stuffed as you were.

When standing on the beach Mike Reilly said something like this " swim to the end of the pier turn right and go around the 2 bouys in the distance, then swim back around the bouy at the end of the wharf then come back to the beach."

While he was saying this all competitors were on the beach or wading in the water, unable to see past the wharf to the north, so im not sure how anyone really knew for sure where to swim.

Have a look at this video

the video is taken from the end of the wharf

@ 2 seconds, in the top of the screen you can see a bouy, this is the bouy that we were told to swim around when returning to the beach.

@ 6 seconds you can see 2 bouys in the distance very close together, which some people were swimming towards, while others are swimming off the the right.

@20 seconds you can see the pack splitting into 2 again and again @1:20

What do you see lacking in the whole video? thats right, SAFETY. I think I saw 2 paddlers out on boards in the whole swim.

WTC need to have a checklist of contingencies just like they do for water temperatures wetsuit compulsory or not

Rough Seas (<sea state 2*)

Very Rough Seas (>sea state 2*)

High Wind (>30, <60 knots*)

Very High Wind (>60 knots*)

* change numbers

These should be policy and not made up on the day with emotion running hot. RISK ASSESS before the EVENT and have the mitigation's determined BEFORE the event.

What do you see lacking in the whole video? thats right, SAFETY. I think I saw 2 paddlers out on boards in the whole swim.

A couple of weeks ago I was part of the water safety crew that supervised the swim leg of the Narrandera Triathlon. There were eight of us in watercraft and we shadowed the 100+ swimmers around a 750m shoreline swim. There were approx 10 bouys in the water and most of the course was marked with swimming pool lane ropes. Each of the watercraft also had life jackets if required. The Swim Director was also in a small powerboat a safe distance away.

The event was put on by a community organisation, and I believe it cost $20 to enter. Just sayin...!

I'm sure all these issues will be fully addressed before they open 2014 entries next week........

Yeah right

You are funny tyno

Cheers

Ip