FatPom

2013 F1 thread

7 days 'til kick off. Let's hear your predictions, theories and whatnot. I'll start:

Hamilton to Mercedes, good move, bad move, long term development goal?

Good Move long term!

I think you will start to see the others catch up a lot more on Red Bull.

I dont think Red bull will be as dominant. i think the person that wins the DC will not have won it before.

Bad move. Hamilton will not be able to develop Mercedes like a number 1 driver should. Alonso to finally get a car to match his abilities ( I wish).

Bad move. Hamilton will not be able to develop Mercedes like a number 1 driver should. Alonso to finally get a car to match his abilities ( I wish).

I think I agree. Shades of Hill to Arrow?

If I remember correctly, unlike Hamilton, Hill didn't choose to leave a successful team.

If I remember correctly, unlike Hamilton, Hill didn't choose to leave a successful team.

Depends who you believe. Not many teams willingly get rid of a WC though.

I expect Hamilton to fare a lot better than Hill.

When he's in the right headspace he can wring every last drop of performance out of a car. But I don't think he has the car development skills of Alonso or Vettel.

I expect Hamilton to fare a lot better than Hill.

When he's in the right headspace he can wring every last drop of performance out of a car. But I don't think he has the car development skills of Alonso or Vettel.

Hamilton will benefit from knowing the Mercedes culture straight away, and Mercedes will benefit from know Hamilton. When Mrs FP worked at McLaren she said it was very hard to tell the two companies apart, I think the long term plan is to move away from each other and I'm sure that Hamilton's move will start to facilitate that.

Hamilton doesn't strike me as the 'evolution not revolution' type and Mercedes do. Hamilton is a bit of a bipolar driver, great when things are going well and a toy thrower when things are not. I don't think that will suit a development type situation. IMO the master car developer in the modern era was Coulthard.

Reminds me of Kenny Roberts Snr and Foggy, both were masters of being able to ride around problems in a race, then relay what needed to be done in practice and testing.

Just watched the qualy replay, what a wash out! Gonna be a busy race day for all concerned. Good to see Max Chilton getting a run, he was my tip 2 yrs ago.

Edited by FatPom

FFS Webber learn how to start a race!

Is this your first year in F1!!!!!

No, but he's about 3yrs overdue for his last. :P

Can't say that race held my attention, but doesn't look like RB are the dominant force that practice suggested.

Post race Nico Rosberg is asking himself why he didn't 'Vettel' Lewis Hamilton.

He was pretty vocal during the last 10 laps.

Team orders - what are you gunna do?

Entertaining stuff that, first 45 laps plus the post-race tension. Bring on China.

Edited by Riddos

Wow!

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12433/8594156/Sebastian-Vettel-apologises-to-Mark-Webber-after-defying-orders-to-win-Malaysian-GP

Following an angry confrontation with Webber before a grim-faced podium ceremony, Vettel told reporters in the post-race press conference: "'I should have behaved today. I made a big mistake.

Wow that race had everything! Weather changes, crazy overtakes, pit wall drama and a few headaches for management.

I've always been a big Vettel fan and still am, but that's the first time I've felt sorry for Webber.

Will be an interesting year :schnauz:

I think it would have shown more class for Webber to bite his tongue at the podium and let fly behind closed doors. I'm not sure it helps the team or him to have a dummy spit, no matter how justifiable it might be.

As for Vettel, the team should grow some balls and remind him who pays the bills (although given the apology they may have) - at the end of the day he's an employee. If one of my staff ignored direct instructions there'd be hell to pay. I wonder if any team would have the courage to 'suspend' a driver for a race or two or hand out a massive fine.

I think it would have shown more class for Webber to bite his tongue at the podium and let fly behind closed doors. I'm not sure it helps the team or him to have a dummy spit, no matter how justifiable it might be.

As for Vettel, the team should grow some balls and remind him who pays the bills (although given the apology they may have) - at the end of the day he's an employee. If one of my staff ignored direct instructions there'd be hell to pay. I wonder if any team would have the courage to 'suspend' a driver for a race or two or hand out a massive fine.

They'd probably want to, but points mean massive $$$$$$$ so they'd be penalising themselves. However when it comes to dishing out special and new parts, then the driver that keeps the team sweet will be first in line. Having said that, it'd be much easier for a MOP/BOP team to get tough with their driver than the likes of RB et al.

And now someone has siphoned off his fuel...

(null)

Edited by Steno