Ex-Hasbeen

Man-Flu: What is the Mortality Rate?

surfer101    193

Thats a shame about not doing Cairns HIM.  A heart virus sounds nasty, all the best for a good recovery 

• Like 1

trinube    1,106
On 31/05/2017 at 6:51 AM, ComfortablyNumb said:

Holy crap. Has anyone ever damaged a rib from coughing? 

I got a hernia from coughing - apparently not that uncommon.

trinube    1,106
On 31/05/2017 at 9:07 AM, Kenneth said:

I thought I'd dodged a bullet with my fight against Man Flu. The real flu symptoms only lasted for a couple of days. Unfortunately it turned into shortness of breath and chest tightness. Doctor has said it's myocarditis. Viral heart infection.

Be extremely careful. Our GM got a similar problem which went undiagnosed for a few weeks and it got into his valves and destroyed them. Emergency open heart surgery/valve replacements and three years on he's still not right. He was very fit, gym junkie type and was 42 at the time. He was incredibly lucky to survive it. He's never been the same since and still had leaky valves which they're reluctant to touch.

Kenneth    123
1 hour ago, trinube said:

Be extremely careful. Our GM got a similar problem which went undiagnosed for a few weeks and it got into his valves and destroyed them. Emergency open heart surgery/valve replacements and three years on he's still not right. He was very fit, gym junkie type and was 42 at the time. He was incredibly lucky to survive it. He's never been the same since and still had leaky valves which they're reluctant to touch.

Wow. That's horrible. From what the doc said there's nothing to do except rest. I really don't have the energy to do anything much at the moment but the danger probably comes when I start feeling better. I hardly ever go to the doc but glad I did. Didn't even know this sort of thing was possible. 

10 hours ago, trinube said:

Yes same happened to my GP who was into orienteering.  He did permanent damage as was out of running for years.  Never got back to where he used to be.