TrinewB

Best broad band service provider ?

I have just had it with crap Internet since we moved we have vivid wireless what a crap connection that is. It's almost on par with 3G in fact many times that is what I do on my I pad just switch to 3G

So now our 2 years is up am looking to change.

Who is the best and fastest ?

Based in sydney

Cheers

Check out the whirlpool forums for opinions.

We've had TPG for a few years and for the first 12 months it was rubbish, kept disconnecting when it rained. After repeated (11) calls to Telstra to fix the line, we finally got a good tech who replaced a cable in the ceiling. It has been ROCK solid ever since (so the poor service probably had nothing to do with TPG) and we get unlimited traffic and a static IP for about $69 (we run a server from home). As with any service and location, YMMV.

iinet naked DSL. Telstra are only involved in that they own the copper leading into the house. Otherwise it's all iinet who have truly excellent customer service. I get v good speeds off this arrangement.

• Like 1

The ISPs pay Telstra to host their equipment at local telephone exchanges, they then connect all their customers in the area to that equipment via Telstras copper wire.

So initially it may be fast, but as they sell more subscriptions the equipment is under more and more load and it gets slower. Peak times are slower again. Companies wan't to save/make money so they don't want to be upgrading the equipment or adding more unless it is failing because of the load. A good ISP will balance investment in equipment with subscriptions to keep a good reputation for constant speeds.

If you are 3km(by road) from your local exchange forget getting even close to the advertised speeds.

The NBN would be nice.

We were recommended vivid wireless turns out we r too close to the tower so we get shite signal.

iinet seems to be worth a look then

telstra cable and iinet

Agree. I would be on Telstra cable if our place had it (we have to use a dish for foxtel).

We use iinet - can't find any fault with speed, quality and customer service so far (been using it 2 years)

Edited by Quack

Will depend on how techy you are as well

I've been with Exetel for years and have no problems with their service at all, granted i am pretty close to the exchange

They are cheap and have good DL allowances.

But if you aren't so techy then their support might be an issue for you

I've been with Exetel for years and have no problems with their service at all, granted i am pretty close to the exchange

Same, been with Exetel for many years, they are fine if you know what you are doing... "Customer service" seems almost non existent though.

Have been with IINET on naked DSL for coming up 2 years and found them to be very good, alot of companies could learn something from following there customer service model as found that to be excellent whenever I have called them.

Check out the whirlpool forums for opinions.

We've had TPG for a few years and for the first 12 months it was rubbish, kept disconnecting when it rained. After repeated (11) calls to Telstra to fix the line, we finally got a good tech who replaced a cable in the ceiling. It has been ROCK solid ever since (so the poor service probably had nothing to do with TPG) and we get unlimited traffic and a static IP for about $69 (we run a server from home). As with any service and location, YMMV.

If the cable needed replacing in the ceiling, then who's fault was it? Not TPG's, not Telstra's. Shouldn't throw stones to loosely.

If the cable needed replacing in the ceiling, then who's fault was it? Not TPG's, not Telstra's. Shouldn't throw stones to loosely.

I never suggested it was TPG and Telstra accepted it was their issue in the roof - they sent a tech and there was no charge. Not throwing stones, just saying what happened. As I said, we placed 11 calls to Telstra in total - I classify that as poor service and it was only when we got a good tech we got it fixed.

Disclaimer :lol:

The ISPs pay Telstra to host their equipment at local telephone exchanges, they then connect all their customers in the area to that equipment via Telstras copper wire.

So initially it may be fast, but as they sell more subscriptions the equipment is under more and more load and it gets slower. Peak times are slower again. Companies wan't to save/make money so they don't want to be upgrading the equipment or adding more unless it is failing because of the load. A good ISP will balance investment in equipment with subscriptions to keep a good reputation for constant speeds.

If you are 3km(by road) from your local exchange forget getting even close to the advertised speeds.

The NBN would be nice.

It's not quite as simple as that, you can't simply 'add' equipment to an exchange but you're close enough.

I wouldn't say I'm techy at all, but I've been with Exetel for years in 2 different places and find them good (and cheap).