Donncha

More Kenyan Doping

Just popped up on my Twitter feed...

BBCAfrica: One of #Kenya's most successful runners, Moses Kiptanui, says #doping is widespread among the country's athletes.

Edited by Donncha

One of the few instances where i think fair enough - difference between being able to feed your family and being completely destitute in a third world country - i would take the offer as well.

• Like 1

One of the few instances where i think fair enough - difference between being able to feed your family and being completely destitute in a third world country - i would take the offer as well.

I dunno - who determines who's hard up enough to cheat? i can't abide by it.

When your village can qualify for world vision- I think it is justifiable.

While Kenya is a beautiful country, there are plenty of people living on a dollar a day. Win some marathon in Sweden and collect a few thousand, you can live like a king for a couple of months off that alone.

They would think a 70.3 pay day would sort out the extended family for a decent period.

I dunno - who determines who's hard up enough to cheat? i can't abide by it.

The person doing the cheating?

PED use in sport must be the epitome of a "First world problem".

• Like 1

When your village can qualify for world vision- I think it is justifiable.

While Kenya is a beautiful country, there are plenty of people living on a dollar a day. Win some marathon in Sweden and collect a few thousand, you can live like a king for a couple of months off that alone.

They would think a 70.3 pay day would sort out the extended family for a decent period.

So if I, or my family was poor enough, then cheating is ok?

PED use in sport must be the epitome of a "First world problem".

Actually i think it was taken to new heights in the 'second world' by the Soviets and East Germans in the 80s and Chinese in the 90s.

On 16/02/2013 at 6:54 PM, daschmooze said:

So if I, or my family was poor enough, then cheating is ok?

Not OK, but it's easier to understand why someone would cheat when they are facing much more difficult challenges than, someone like Lance Armstrong. Their motivation to cheat is so they can buy food, school books etc for their families, LA's motivation to cheat was so he could be called the greatest cyclist in the world and buy another Ferrari.

I don't think anyone has ever shown anything but sympathy for our forefathers who stole food to feed their families back in ol' Blighty. 

I imagine it's hard to understand the 3rd world perspective if you're not from it or haven't been there. Many in the world have no understanding of the concept of insurance, retirement or a resort holiday. Half the worlds wealth sits with a few thousand people. Look at Haiti or the DR and how much a baseball player can make, much easier to understand how someone could cross the line.

Plenty of rich white kids dope too.  For a citizen of the third world it would be almost inconceivable to not dope if it was even going to give you a remote chance of getting out.  So why do we still like to believe in miracles?

37 minutes ago, Stikman said:

Plenty of rich white kids dope too.  For a citizen of the third world it would be almost inconceivable to not dope if it was even going to give you a remote chance of getting out.  So why do we still like to believe in miracles?

Plenty of rich white kids don’t race marathons professionally for cash and glory.  

the amount of guys and several girls at my last gym that aren’t natural was mind blowing.  But they do drugs to look good and be ripped and strong.  

That's my point.  All they need to justify it is nothing other than a few more inst-followers.  When an athlete is very unlikely to get caught and faced with the decision to do it or disappear into obscurity after years, if not decades, of hard work behind hundreds of others that they "know" are doping you would have to have a very high level of integrity to say no.  Yet here, we sit believing marginal gains and work ethic can be responsible for literally unbelievable performance after unbelievable performance...

• Like 1

Kipsang has been handed a 4 year ban for whereabouts failures.

The normal 12 month ban was increased to 4 years when they found the the photo of an overturned truck he used as a reason he was late was actually from an accident that happened months later, and another excuse, a landslide caused by heavy rain, turned out false as the investigation found there had been no rain that day.