Rocket Salad

The Politics Thread

Just now, Prince said:

actually, today was a good day, sacked a guy for sending documents to an external company where an ex employee is now working.  

'but i was the one who created these templates'   didn't cut it.....see ya buddy.

Kicking goals before lunchtime.. good work

5 minutes ago, Rog said:

A bit harsh, what about all the workcover claims he knocked back this week? The boss is happy!

no.  but the guy who tried to claim injuring his back when rising from his chair got knocked back by work cover. sanity prevailed. 

34 minutes ago, goughy said:

That, I take personally, Prince.  Appreciate that.  Always good to know what people think of me.

sorry goughy. just a joke. 

2 minutes ago, pieman said:

Kicking goals before lunchtime.. good work

well, we take confidentiality pretty seriously here. documents  included contracts detailing contractor pricing. 

5 hours ago, Prince said:

Personal?  did i get personal? geez louise....is your name Goughy??

Maybe I could have worded it better than “personal”. It was late at night though. 

It doesn’t bother me Prince, I just don’t get why according to you I must be this or I must be that just because you didn’t like the info I posted in response to Roxii’s question.

Edited by Mike Del

37 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

Maybe I could have worded it better than “personal”. It was late at night though. 

It doesn’t bother me Prince, I just don’t get why according to you I must be this or I must be that just because you didn’t like the info I posted in response to Roxii’s question.

I like all the info you post Mike, i may not agree with them all, but, i often don't know what i am taking about..  If we didn't have opposing views on things, this would be a boring site.

• Like 2

What's with the NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian? Being a "mexican" I don't know much about her except for the occasional 10 second news grab -  but it appears she doesn't care about the lives fish in the Darling or Kids at festivals..... ?!

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

What's with the NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian? Being a "mexican" I don't know much about her except for the occasional 10 second news grab -  but it appears she doesn't care about the lives fish in the Darling or Kids at festivals..... ?!

Has any state other than ACT agreed to implement legal pill testing at festivals yet?

22 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Has any state other than ACT agreed to implement legal pill testing at festivals yet?

I think you are onto something there - even our man Dan, the progressive "Mister. safe injection rooms dying with dignity legislation", is adamantly opposed to it.  I apologies to Gladys and her fans - but it's still not good news for the fish!

NSW ICAC still giving NSW Labor an uppercut

seems that anyone who has ever served in any office bearers position has been lining the parties pockets illegally for years

but it’s ok comrades, it’s for the greater good 

6 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Gotta love the hypocrisy of the generation that will tell you how great Woodstock, Sunbury and Narara are now wanting kids to just say no to drugs at festivals. 

Now I don;t read much economics in the paper, might as well read the form guide or star signs I reckon. But this article from Ross Gittins (who is probably a communist) is about the best thing I've read today. About time someone calls out the religous right regarding their extremely un-Christlike opinions, and policies.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/the-economy/politicians-too-poor-at-their-jobs-to-fix-poverty-20191015-p530rq.html

As the Australian Council of Social Service has said, increasing Newstart would be "the single most effective step to reduce poverty" – not to mention giving a much-needed boost to the nation's retailers. But Scott Morrison, so generous in his promises of big tax cuts to high-income earners like me, has steadfastly refused to oblige. Rather, he's working on an unending list of torments for people on welfare. It's as if he's seeking applause from all those who think anyone on welfare must be a lazy loafer. If that's how you imitate Christ, things have changed a lot since I grew up in the Salvos

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Pete said:

A novel idea on how to survive at music festivals.

Don’t take illegal substances. Take them at your peril. Don’t ask me to make them safe.

1 minute ago, IronmanFoz said:

A novel idea on how to survive at music festivals.

Don’t take illegal substances. Take them at your peril. Don’t ask me to make them safe.

Get out of here with that personal responsibility crap, you narc...

Pill testing gives a person a greater amount of information to base a personal responsibility decision on. 
Surely that’s a good thing?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Parkside said:

Now I don;t read much economics in the paper, might as well read the form guide or star signs I reckon. But this article from Ross Gittins (who is probably a communist) is about the best thing I've read today. About time someone calls out the religous right regarding their extremely un-Christlike opinions, and policies.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/the-economy/politicians-too-poor-at-their-jobs-to-fix-poverty-20191015-p530rq.html

you lost me at Australian Council of Social Service....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prince said:

More bloody communists. That’s the trouble with economists with a social conscience, lose all perspective and listen to those who associate with the plebs

3 hours ago, Prince said:

'You know what this country needs?  More wealth redistribution...'

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

'You know what this country needs?  More wealth redistribution...'

No just change the redistribution from Howard's battlers to actual battlers, old boy. 

9 minutes ago, Parkside said:

No just change the redistribution from Howard's battlers to actual battlers, old boy. 

It's interesting that "Family Welfare", eg childcare support, family tax benefit & paid parental leave, actually make up nearly 4 times what is paid out as Newstart or other unemployment benefits.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

It's interesting that "Family Welfare", eg childcare support, family tax benefit & paid parental leave, actually make up nearly 4 times what is paid out as Newstart or other unemployment benefits.

Go back a few pages and find my post about that exact topic. I note IJ Monty Burns didn’t make comment. Not in the weekly talking point briefing obviously

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I thought ppl was one of the left's pet issues back in the day?

No argument from me otherwise, but I can just imagine the howls of indignation from Labor if anyone dared to suggest that they be cut

4 hours ago, Parkside said:

More bloody communists. That’s the trouble with economists with a social conscience, lose all perspective and listen to those who associate with the plebs

I also didn’t realise their was a ‘religious right’.  

2 minutes ago, Prince said:

I also didn’t realise their was a ‘religious right’.  

Were you out of the country during the Gay Marriage debate?

17 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Were you out of the country during the Gay Marriage debate?

I think your confusing conservative  with religious views.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Prince said:

I think your confusing conservative  with religious views.  

No, I meant the religious lobby groups with conservative views.

ETA: The Australian Christian Lobby springs to mind. They were the mob that funded Falau's appeal.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

I have no problem with newstart payments being lifted

It hasn’t  moved in years and I personally think that it is now so low compared to the rise in the cost of living that it’s more than likely counterproductive and may actually be making it harder for those receiving it to find work as they simply can’t afford to get to interviews, etc

How many here have had to receive Newstart/unemployment benefits before?

21 minutes ago, goughy said:

How many here have had to receive Newstart/unemployment benefits before?

I got it for 8 weeks (though it was called the dole then). I left uni & was trying to find a temporary job. I knew I had one sorted for about 3 months after (and I'm still there 34 years later), but was trying to get something to tide me over. CES wouldn't look at me unless I did the full registration bit, and that meant I got the dole.

I paid more tax this fortnight than I received for the dole in that 8 weeks.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

No, I meant the religious lobby groups with conservative views.

ETA: The Australian Christian Lobby springs to mind. They were the mob that funded Falau's appeal.

Fair enough.  

22 hours ago, Tyno said:

Pill testing gives a person a greater amount of information to base a personal responsibility decision on. 
Surely that’s a good thing?

If the pill is deemed safe and then someone takes it and dies....... whose responsibility is it. The experts will tell you. Pill cannot be tested ‘on the spot’ (at a venue). It take days. 

Kiddies..... take the drugs at your peril! 

34 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Kiddies..... take the drugs at your peril! 

They do.

• Like 1

Why doesn't the govt just go the pill testing, but stack the facility with govt stooges that will tell every single person that comes in to have their pills tested that theirs are full of plaster dust and rat poison etc and they will kill you so you better dump them?

I just can't get my head around the legal ramifications of this though. You hand over an illegal substance for a Government authorised group to test, to confirm that yes, it is an illegal substance. Then they give it back to you to take.

What happens when someone who does this dies?

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I just can't get my head around the legal ramifications of this though. You hand over an illegal substance for a Government authorised group to test, to confirm that yes, it is an illegal substance. Then they give it back to you to take.

Darwinism at work?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike Del said:

Do you guys realise the pill submitted for testing is not returned.

really? well thats a waste of time.  why on earth would kids get them tested.   stupid stupid idea. 

23 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

these ethical issues are probably addressed by the Uniting church in their injecting rooms in the cross. 

2 hours ago, Parkside said:

these ethical issues are probably addressed by the Uniting church in their injecting rooms in the cross. 

Ethical or not, what happens when the parent of a kid that dies because his tested pills contain PMA, or any off the other deadly substances that the on-site kits can't test for, decides to sue someone over the death.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Prince said:

really? well thats a waste of time.  why on earth would kids get them tested.   stupid stupid idea. 

7 hours ago, Mike Del said:
13 hours ago, Prince said:

There you go again Prince 

Well during the ACT’s trial at the Groovin the Moo festival 171 kids came forward and presented a pill sample for testing, 7 were found to contain an added deadly substance ( ethelplentylone ) that could have caused a fatality.  

Its working successfully and saving lives for many years now in quite a few countries around the world,

Edited by Mike Del

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:06 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Exactly....

Also, what if they proposed to safelt test performance hancing drugs before you race to make sure there safe........ all the people on here who support pill testing would be up in arms for sure.....

I don't understand why you would support pill testing when its quitely likely someone will still die. Who owns the responisbility after it has been deemed safe.

14 hours ago, Mike Del said:

There you go again Prince 

Well during the ACT’s trial at the Groovin the Moo festival 171 kids came forward and presented a pill sample for testing, 7 were found to contain an added deadly substance ( ethelplentylone ) that could have caused a fatality.  

Its working successfully and saving lives for many years now in quite a few countries around the world,

if you can call 171 out of 21,000 kids coming forward a success, you should be in politics mr Del....

1 hour ago, Prince said:

if you can call 171 out of 21,000 kids coming forward a success, you should be in politics mr Del....

7 lives saved

11 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

7 lives saved

Potentially.

Just because it had something in it doesn't mean it would have killed anybody. By their stats, 4% of the pills there were tainted. Surely there were more than 171 kids (less than 1%) with drugs at the festival, so you would think that if there were that many of the sample tainted, then a lot of those that didn't come forward also had tainted drugs, yet no deaths. 

Yes it may serve a purpose, but I'm still uneasy with the ramifications of what's going to happen when something they can't test for knocks down a few kids, and they start looking for a head to roll.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1

My issue is that it gives kids a false sense of security and encourages kids to take there drugs.  ‘ if my drugs are ‘pure’ then they are safe’.

MDMA is not safe kids 

7 minutes ago, Prince said:

My issue is that it gives kids a false sense of security and encourages kids to take there drugs.  ‘ if my drugs are ‘pure’ then they are safe’.

MDMA is not safe kids 

Neither is alcohol 

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

Neither is alcohol 

Correct. And if it was illegal now, would you be trying to set up facilities at concerts so the kids could drink it, even though it is illegal?

15 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Correct. And if it was illegal now, would you be trying to set up facilities at concerts so the kids could drink it, even though it is illegal?

I’d try to reduce harm and risk