• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

He only speaks for mostly everyone else 

#IstandwithParky   :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

But that fund is only going to provide $100M per year, and not start for another year (I know the NASA funding will be less/annum but that's not the headline).

From what I understand the $5B is a fund that will be self sustaining into the future, only drawing down the $100M each year.

fair go, there are a number of other initiatives that Scomo has also introduced for the drought relief, and geez 5 billion and self sustaining is a decent effort. 

It is all suddenly not enough because of the NASA contribution. I am sure it won't be long before the poor disgruntled labor voters say the US trip should have also been spent on the drought. Little narrow minded lefty's..... really scrapping the bottom of the barrel to have a go at the PM. The PM that embarrassed Labor at the last election.   oops, sorry, shouldn't mention the war.. 

The pittance of money granted for NASA is an  smart investment, get over it and move on.

3 minutes ago, Prince said:

fair go, there are a number of other initiatives that Scomo has also introduced for the drought relief, and geez 5 billion and self sustaining is a decent effort. 

It is all suddenly not enough because of the NASA contribution. I am sure it won't be long before the poor disgruntled labor voters say the US trip should have also been spent on the drought. Little narrow minded lefty's..... really scrapping the bottom of the barrel to have a go at the PM. The PM that embarrassed Labor at the last election.   oops, sorry, shouldn't mention the war.. 

The pittance of money granted for NASA is an  smart investment, get over it and move on.

I'm not having a go at it at all. I'm just saying that the farmers will (or should) know the full details of the drought fund, so will know it's only $100M a year, and they are seeing a headline that says one & a half times that will go to NASA. 

It's all the way the messages are being put out there. That $150M may be over 4 years, but that hasn't been made known to the general public.

Scott Morrison on Greta Thunberg :  "So I think we've got to caution against raising the anxieties of children in our country."

Also Scott Morrison: (takes his kids to Penetcostal church) “We believe in the everlasting punishment of the wicked"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I'm not having a go at it at all. I'm just saying that the farmers will (or should) know the full details of the drought fund, so will know it's only $100M a year, and they are seeing a headline that says one & a half times that will go to NASA. 

It's all the way the messages are being put out there. That $150M may be over 4 years, but that hasn't been made known to the general public.

The $150m to NASA will be exceeded in two years, and it will keep on going 

That's the difference 

8 hours ago, roxii said:

Scott Morrison on Greta Thunberg :  "So I think we've got to caution against raising the anxieties of children in our country."

Also Scott Morrison: (takes his kids to Penetcostal church) “We believe in the everlasting punishment of the wicked"

as long as we believe in the easter bunny, santa claus and god, we have a good society.  

11 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I was looking to start a conversation Paul, not throwing my weight around like certain others 

Perhaps you should re-read that content 

How about this for a conversation starter/resumption, Jimbo?

What say we have all the content relating to diverting water resources isolated into a thread of its own (so we're not rehashing old material) and we can pick up where it left off?

I'm happy to do the work of finding all the relevant posts.

Once the thread is set up, I'll give you a week (or more if you wish) to counter anything I posted with rational, factual responses, and you may also add anything new to thread that you wish. It would be appreciated if you could provide references where possible or appropriate.

Only when you're comfortable with the case you've presented, will I respond.

Can I be any fairer than that?

Edited by Paul Every

13 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

How about this for a conversation starter/resumption, Jimbo?

What say we have all the content relating to diverting water resources isolated into a thread of its own (so we're not rehashing old material) and we can pick up where it left off?

I'm happy to do the work of finding all the relevant posts.

Once the thread is set up, I'll give you a week (or more if you wish) to counter anything I posted with rational, factual responses, and you may also add anything new to thread that you wish. It would be appreciated if you could provide references where possible or appropriate.

Only when you're comfortable with the case you've presented, will I respond.

Can I be any fairer than that?

Sounds good to me

17 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Sounds good to me

Cool.

I've just re-read the content as you suggest.

Pretty much starts at the bottom of p226 when the nuclear discussion diverts into cooling power plants built in the middle of the desert by draining the Artesian Basin. Concludes part way down p228.

I'll follow it up later.

On 25/09/2019 at 9:49 AM, roxii said:

Scott Morrison on Greta Thunberg

I would have been happier with "seen but not heard".

Regardless of the message, she just comes across as a spoilt brat teenager. For all her squeaky wheeling, it would be nice to see her environmental degrees or even her high school science score. Her attitude is beyond belief.

I'm a huge supporter of environmental reforms and sustainable energy but this girl isn't helping anyone - if anything she's turning good people away and making the non-believers more strident.

Edited by trinube

5 hours ago, trinube said:

it would be nice to see her environmental degrees or even her high school science score. Her attitude is beyond belief.

Really?  So all those people listening to the scientists with their various degrees. . . maybe she is just coming at it from another angle with a different perspective. 

25 minutes ago, symo said:

Really?  So all those people listening to the scientists with their various degrees. . . maybe she is just coming at it from another angle with a different perspective. 

What about people who listen to these scientists? 

https://www.theepochtimes.com/in-letter-to-un-scientists-say-there-is-no-climate-emergency_3093580.html

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, symo said:

If her angle is to be annoying she's succeeded.

I'd much rather hear from someone who's actually qualified to talk on the subject. It's far too important an issue to be heralded by a narky teenager who looks like her real aim is Insta-fame.

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

These scientists like signatory Viv Forbes?

As DeSmog Blog has noted, Forbes himself – as well as founding the Carbon Sense Coalition “to defend the role of carbon on earth and in the atmosphere” – has more than 40 years of coal industry experience, including with Burton Coal, Dalrymple Bay Coal Terminal, South Blackwater Coal Mine, Tahmoor Coal Mine, Newlands/Collinsville Coal Mines, MIM, Utah Goonyella/Saraji and Gold Fields.

Now there's a poster boy for impartiality and objectivity.

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Similarly, Guus Berkhout commenced working with Shell over half a century ago and also established a consortium to undertake seismic research for oil and gas companies.

Berkhout is the chief proponent of this letter, apparently signed by "a number" of unidentified scientists among the signatories.

Let's actually see who the 500 signatories are, how many of the 500 are actually scientists, if they are indeed working in relevant fields, and what their affiliations they may have, before we actually afford the letter due veracity and scientific weight. 

Don't be too surprised if the 500 signatures are padded with oil and gas industry representatives and conservative "think tank" members such as those of the Heartland Institute, which not only harbours doubts between any links between human activity and climate change,  but also between smoking and cancer.

I guess we'll see on October 18.

IJ, I do smile at how you consistently deride the ABC as a reference source, but appear to happily delve into Falun Gong-founded Epoch Times.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Paul Every said:

IJ, I do smile at how you consistently deride the ABC as a reference source, but appear to happily delve into Falun Gong-founded Epoch Times.

There are other sources who reported the letter's existence.  Do you want me to link one, or are you happy to concede that the letter at least exists?

No, I don't need you to list one. Nor do I (or did I) doubt the letter exists, hence no concession required.

As I say, we just don't yet who signed it, who is yet to sign it, how many of the 500 are even scientists, how many are working in climatology or related fields, how many have conflicting industry ties, etc.

It's a wait and see.

2 hours ago, Paul Every said:

No, I don't need you to list one. Nor do I (or did I) doubt the letter exists, hence no concession required.

As I say, we just don't yet who signed it, who is yet to sign it, how many of the 500 are even scientists, how many are working in climatology or related fields, how many have conflicting industry ties, etc.

It's a wait and see.

You seen much more interested in who they are than what they have to say 

14 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

You seen much more interested in who they are than what they have to say 

Both.

Not every voice in any debate is equally informed, similarly objective or carries opinion of equal weight. If I'm considering a flu injection, I'm investing my confidence in the opinion of an immunologist rather than a tin-foil hat wearing anti-vaccer.

As yet, with those 500 signatories, it's not at all clear who those voices are.

So let's put something on the line upfront here then.  Rather than dismissing the signatories after the fact why don't we set out the criteria for someone that would be considered credible?  What attributes and experience must they have or not have?  If at least a few show up that meet the criteria then perhaps it's worth listening to.

42 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Both.

Not every voice in any debate is equally informed, similarly objective or carries opinion of equal weight. If I'm considering a flu injection, I'm investing my confidence in the opinion of an immunologist rather than a tin-foil hat wearing anti-vaccer.

As yet, with those 500 signatories, it's not at all clear who those voices are.

So presumably you would think a professor of earth sciences would hold more weight than a director of a mining project?

8 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

So presumably you would think a professor of earth sciences would hold more weight than a director of a mining project?

A lot would depend on the background of the Professor. If he had spent the past 25 years working for BHP  and was the environmental expert who gave the all clear for the Ok Tedi mine, then their may not be much difference.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

4 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

A lot would depend on the background of the Professor. If he had spent the past 25 years working for BHP  and was the environmental expert who gave the all clear for the Ok Tedi mine, then their may not be much difference.

Would 50 years in academia be enough for you?

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Would 50 years in academia be enough for you?

As I said, it depends on background. If they'd spent a lot of their time hugging trees in Tasmania, then they are probably biased in one direction, if they'd spent their time writing papers promoting the use of coal, then probably biased the other.

And if he's over 70 years old & never worked in the real world, the guy probably has no idea what really happens out there anyway.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1

...a narky teenager who looks like her real aim is Insta-fame.

Ah.. the put down.  Been a lot of that across the airwaves recently. 

Again - maybe she's pissed off enough to want to have a rant.  She's done pretty well so far from scratch to the UN.  May well fade away but I'd guess some impact will remain.

13 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

And if she's under 16 years old & never worked in the real world, the girl probably has no idea what really happens out there anyway.

Fixed it for you Ex.

• Like 1

HOW DARE YOU Foz

The children are our future.  We need to let them lead the way, or something...

• Thanks 1

On 28/09/2019 at 11:14 AM, IronJimbo said:

HOW DARE YOU Foz

The children are our future.  We need to let them lead the way, or something...

Jim you are right 

• Sad 1

On 24/09/2019 at 8:02 PM, Prince said:

just remind them that Scomo, only a few months ago, got a 5 billion dollar drought relief fund set up, which has now passed the senate.   that may shut them up. 

A million was going to Moyne Shire. At least they did the right thing & knocked it back. They said it would be better spent on areas that weren't experiencing flooding.

Flooding in supposedly drought stricken Moyne Shire in August.

8 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

A million was going to Moyne Shire. At least they did the right thing & knocked it back. They said it would be better spent on areas that weren't experiencing flooding.

Flooding in supposedly drought stricken Moyne Shire in August.

actually. that area has been quite dry in the past but apparently they had some decent rain post June this year, but agree others would benefit immediately.   the bigger story is Scomo is doing things to assist.  he's a bloody legend. 

Edited by Prince

7 hours ago, Prince said:

actually. that area has been quite dry in the past but apparently they had some decent rain post June this year, but agree others would benefit immediately.   the bigger story is Scomo is doing things to assist.  he's a bloody legend. 

The bigger story? You better keep off media monitors Prince. 

Your “bigger story” doesn’t crack top 20

Call me a skeptic, but do you think this drought assistance has been a long time in the pipeline or a quick fix to the flak copped over the money pledged to our space race efforts. 

2 minutes ago, roxii said:

Call me a skeptic, but do you think this drought assistance has been a long time in the pipeline or a quick fix to the flak copped over the money pledged to our space race efforts. 

The moyne shire allocation would suggest a longer pipeline 

21 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

The bigger story? You better keep off media monitors Prince. 

Your “bigger story” doesn’t crack top 20

Obviously the Canberra press bubble still hasn't figured out that the silent majority view the world a little differently than to them

Edited by IronJimbo

29 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

The moyne shire allocation would suggest a longer pipeline 

Whilst the overall program has been going on for a while, they made the announcement of the 13 additional regions above the normal allocations, on Friday. They used old data to decide who would get it, but said they had the new data & would be looking at it all again.

That seems to point at it being a rush job rather than a well thought out exercise.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roxii said:

A rush job all done in a few day to counter the bad publicity after Scotty’s space race donation.

They’ve had good rain for almost 6 months. One of their best seasons in years to quote one Councillor.

0830F468-076A-4FBD-88E5-2443B83489AD.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mike Del said:

A rush job all done in a few day to counter the bad publicity after Scotty’s space race donation.

They’ve had good rain for almost 6 months. One of their best seasons in years to quote one Councillor.

0830F468-076A-4FBD-88E5-2443B83489AD.jpeg

gee, you have a go at him when he doesn't give money, then another go when he does.   are you still upset about losing the unlosable? 😂😂

Edited by Prince

21 minutes ago, Prince said:

gee, you have a go at him when he doesn't give money, then another go when he does.   are you still upset about losing the unlosable? 😂😂

I've no problems with giving money to the drought stricken areas, but this announcement straight after the bad publicity around the NASA venture should have been checked a bit better. And personally I have no issue at all with the NASA venture given my son is starting aerospace engineering at Uni next year.

But of course you would never have mentioned a gaff like this if it was Rudd or Gillard?

6 hours ago, roxii said:

Very, very long pipeline, when they pulled the plug at the Moyne end, water went everywhere, $1.3m worth of water.

5 hours ago, Prince said:

Rather than shoot the messenger perhaps read a little more Prince. You might then be able to discuss issues without having to get personal when presented with facts and opinions you may not like.

And BTW I’m not upset in the slightest about the last election.

Edited by Mike Del

8 hours ago, Mike Del said:

Rather than shoot the messenger perhaps read a little more Prince. You might then be able to discuss issues without having to get personal when presented with facts and opinions you may not like.

lol

Does that make you the pot or the black kettle?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mike Del said:

And BTW I’m not upset in the slightest about the last election.

Personal?  did i get personal? geez louise....is your name Goughy??

That, I take personally, Prince.  Appreciate that.  Always good to know what people think of me.

19 minutes ago, goughy said:

That, I take personally, Prince.  Appreciate that.  Always good to know what people think of me.

Dont be offended. As a HR professional, posting on here is the only 'value' Prince gets to add during his work day...

5 minutes ago, pieman said:

Dont be offended. As a HR professional, posting on here is the only 'value' Prince gets to add during his work day...

A bit harsh, what about all the workcover claims he knocked back this week? The boss is happy!

8 minutes ago, pieman said:

actually, today was a good day, sacked a guy for sending documents to an external company where an ex employee is now working.  

'but i was the one who created these templates'   didn't cut it.....see ya buddy.