Jump to content
Rocket Salad

The Politics Thread

Recommended Posts

Appreciate the sentiment!  But maybe we could take ourselves away to help those doing it a lot tougher!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, goughy said:

Appreciate the sentiment!  But maybe we could take ourselves away to help those doing it a lot tougher!

An old tranny does something I'd love to do. Goes to tiny remote villages in Cambodia and builds little houses for the poor - https://heartprint.org.au. It just looks like the best experience and I'd love to give it a crack if I'm fit enough when I retire. You can fund an entire house for two thousand dollars.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

You'll catch nothing in Shark Bay that's for sure ;)

And you forgot about the Sunday surf club swim from Broulee beach to Shark Bay and back.

Mostly...but got a few squid of the rocks against the island and 2 small flatties on the sand. I swam with a few local legends at Christmas from outside Offshore surf shop, up to Candlagan Creek point and back.

Hey...stop bringing this stuff up. You're making me homesick! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, fiftyplus said:

Just wondering, are these amounts for a single person or a couple.

For a couple with 4 children and 11 grandchildren, so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, more said:

So you are allowing $58k a year for travel and racing, recovering in business class would be nice 😎👌

We all need to continue living the life to which we have become accustomed to in 'retirement' 😁

IMG_0455.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Still can't find that 'quote' eh?

You really shouldn't make claims about other posters that you can't substantiate Barry.  People might think that you're a lying sack of shit...

Is that needed:

"People might think that you're a lying sack of shit..."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, fiftyplus said:

Just wondering, are these amounts for a single person or a couple.

 

4 hours ago, softy said:

For a couple with 4 children and 11 grandchildren, so far.

Fair enough

 

4 hours ago, softy said:

We all need to continue living the life to which we have become accustomed to in 'retirement' 😁

IMG_0455.jpg

I’ve never lived that sought of life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, fiftyplus said:

 

Fair enough

 

I’ve never lived that sought of life

The only business class flight I've ever had was to Mackay, and I was the only one not wearing hi-vis in there. :)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Is that needed:

"People might think that you're a lying sack of shit..."

 

Probably not 

Neither are your lies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This takes education data from the 2016 Census, and uses it to analyse voting trends in each of the electorates. 

image.thumb.png.ee35651ffac068bfb347d7e6a963565b.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Analyses changes in voting, could be a 10% swing to the Coalition but still 60% voting Labor or vice-versa.  For those that follow statistics an R-value of that order is an indication that the relationship is fairly insignificant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a sore thumb.

Clearly getting a headache!

 

A near 5% swing on two party preferred to the lnp in my seat!  Overall there was about 55k conservative voters as opposed to about 20k left. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure Albo has been reading trannies.

In a speech today he stated the party needed to understand that workers can't get more money if businesses aren't successful. He said it shouldn't be workers vs business and it's in everyone's best interests to work together.

He believes successful businesses hire more people and the unions will get more members. If they'd said that during the election they'd be in Government today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/05/2019 at 2:52 PM, softy said:

In this respect, you can see why more people are chosing to 'retire' out of Australia. Even some are still getting pension and living abroad. Cost of living is much lower and places like Thailand have very good medical resources.

Retirement is becoming more of a myth. I'm 56 and will return home in my early 60's. By then I'd have worked as an expat for 30 years, with reasonable assets and some savings. However, it won't allow me not to work again. I can see myself packing shelves at Woolies to keep petrol in the car and food in the fridge in between surfs and dropping a line in the river.

Me too mate.  Trying to develop up my fishing guiding business atm to provide a little income in our retirement years.  Some rain would help, esp to the west in our Murray Cod streams.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, trinube said:

Wow, I nearly fell off the lounge.

Greg Combet just said he felt Labor was always at its best when it promoted wealth creation (Hawke/Keating era) rather than wealth distribution (Shorten/Bowen). He said the current ALP spent far to much time on the latter.

He looks a lot more relaxed now he's out of politics. I had no idea he'd hooked up with Juanita Phillips, maybe she's mellowed him.

 

23 hours ago, more said:

But but but Abbott was an arsehole for saying Hawke had a Liberal head and a Labor heart.... 

You can't see multiple differences between  Combet's and Abbott's comments?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, trinube said:

I'm pretty sure Albo has been reading trannies.

In a speech today he stated the party needed to understand that workers can't get more money if businesses aren't successful. He said it shouldn't be workers vs business and it's in everyone's best interests to work together.

He believes successful businesses hire more people and the unions will get more members. If they'd said that during the election they'd be in Government today.

What....its taken him 30 years to work this out? And if no one else in Labor understands this no wonder they have a problem.

Their policy in the past is.... Lets hit the big businesses with more tax, so they can reduce jobs and put more people on benefits! What did they not understand about this methodology.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

 

Their policy in the past is.... Lets hit the big businesses with more tax, so they can reduce jobs and put more people on benefits! What did they not understand about this methodology.

Its the indirect effect about always hitting the banks and the multi nationals. Pretty much everyone in this forum would have these shares in their super, and everyone wants a good performing superfund as do direct shareholders. Hitting them with taxes too often and eventually I think something will give. Their profits will go down, which effects their share price and yada yada. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paul Every said:

 

You can't see multiple differences between  Combet's and Abbott's comments?

Of course.  Abbott made Abbott's comments

The horror, the horror...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In all seriousness, do most people ( I won't use average, as I'm not sure there is such a thing ), believe that their lives and/or lifestyle would change, no matter who won?

I don't really follow politics and don't voice an opinion as a non resident, I just have to accept what happens when I'm home and go with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, softy said:

In all seriousness, do most people ( I won't use average, as I'm not sure there is such a thing ), believe that their lives and/or lifestyle would change, no matter who won?

Exactly mate.

BTW will be spending this Xmas down your way at Kianga.  Know any good bass fishing spots nearby 😉 I'm thinking Moruya River near Yarragee, Tuross river near Tuross?  Apparently Tuross Lake (flathead spot) has been so hammered they had to cancel this years annual fishing comp!

Re the retirement income, I worked out we can have a good life on $58K pa (assumes own house & car). And this is actually a bit above what some of the retirement calculators say you need for a good retirement.  So would need about $1.2M in income-earning investments (assuming on av. a 5% return). Hoping to supplement that with $8K pa from guiding.

Edited by ComfortablyNumb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, softy said:

In all seriousness, do most people ( I won't use average, as I'm not sure there is such a thing ), believe that their lives and/or lifestyle would change, no matter who won?

I don't really follow politics and don't voice an opinion as a non resident, I just have to accept what happens when I'm home and go with it. 

People tend to notice when less tax is taken out of their pay.  Which is why Trump's approval rose last year when he got his tax cuts through

They notice even more when more tax is taken out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, softy said:

In all seriousness, do most people ( I won't use average, as I'm not sure there is such a thing ), believe that their lives and/or lifestyle would change, no matter who won?

I don't really follow politics and don't voice an opinion as a non resident, I just have to accept what happens when I'm home and go with it. 

I think as there is a growing gap between the have's and the have not's, and the have nots tend to blame the government more for some reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, softy said:

In all seriousness, do most people ( I won't use average, as I'm not sure there is such a thing ), believe that their lives and/or lifestyle would change, no matter who won?

I don't really follow politics and don't voice an opinion as a non resident, I just have to accept what happens when I'm home and go with it. 

It's usually small groups that notice the changes.  One example that springs to mind when Fairwork came into effect there were students that would have 2 hours of work after school in small local businesses including supermarkets.  For most this was the only work available in these regional centres.

Fairwork moved the minimum hours for a shift from 2 to 3.  Suddenly businesses that employed students from 3.30 to 5.30 had to either pay these students 3 hours of work for working 2 hours, or let them go.  Regional centre businesses are not the most profitable so you can guess which choice happened.

For the average person living in the city working full time, with a mortgage, kids and a car in the garage the changes are small, just like the frog in the boiling pot and you don't notice it until one day you think back to how it was 3 governments ago and say enough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

People tend to notice when less tax is taken out of their pay.  Which is why Trump's approval rose last year when he got his tax cuts through

They notice even more when more tax is taken out

They don’t notice when their electricity bills double it seems

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Parkside said:

They don’t notice when their electricity bills double it seems

or when you pay people to pollute rather than get 8 billion from them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, softy said:

In all seriousness, do most people ( I won't use average, as I'm not sure there is such a thing ), believe that their lives and/or lifestyle would change, no matter who won?

I don't really follow politics and don't voice an opinion as a non resident, I just have to accept what happens when I'm home and go with it. 

Yes. The industry I work in is affected by a change in goverment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

or when you pay people to pollute rather than get 8 billion from them

or when they get sick & can't afford to go to hospital

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

BTW will be spending this Xmas down your way at Kianga.  Know any good bass fishing spots nearby 😉 I'm thinking Moruya River near Yarragee, Tuross river near Tuross?  Apparently Tuross Lake (flathead spot) has been so hammered they had to cancel this years annual fishing comp!

Pretty busy during Christmas, and the water can still be below 20 C some years. Plenty of beach and rock action between the break wall and Kianga. You could even try a fly at the beach/rocks on the south side of Kianga point ( off the front of the shops ). Plenty of small bombies and sand that offers good terrain for bream, tailor, salmon and whiting.

As for bass.... my old place was on the Tuross River directly opposite the old Bodalla Cheese factory and I walked down and caught Bass and Estuary Perch. I know of guys who have got fish around Bumbo as well but the water starts to get too salty that far towards the lakes.

Heading north, if you turn left at Bodalla Police Station onto Eurobodalla Road, it follows the Tuross River west. Around 12k west, the bridge crosses the river and and heads out towards Tinpot. My brother grows Blueberries out that way and catches Bass on soft plastics, but you don't have to go that far.

 https://www.google.com/maps/@-36.0990631,150.0042637,14z

If you turn onto Comerang Forest Road ( about 2k off the highway ), and either paddled or walked the banks and fished the bends and overhangs, I'd say you'd get fish. If you don't, it's a bloody nice way to spend the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be good if someone who worked in funds management or similar could break down the communist manifesto presented in the SMH daring to suggest Adani’s Carmichael election winning coal mine can’t turn a profit? Surely they aren’t suggesting the government(s) are going to prop up a dying industry. That wouldn’t wash for the motor vehicle industry 

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/the-numbers-on-adani-simply-don-t-add-up-20190524-p51qoy.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1558661882

Edited by Parkside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/05/2019 at 4:50 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

The only business class flight I've ever had was to Mackay, and I was the only one not wearing hi-vis in there. :)

 

I only fly business class now at 50 I figure why not

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

or when they get sick & can't afford to go to hospital

 

But public hospitals are free I thought 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Parkside said:

They don’t notice when their electricity bills double it seems

I guess we are lucky Bill and his team didn’t get in then.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Parkside said:

Be good if someone who worked in funds management or similar could break down the communist manifesto presented in the SMH daring to suggest Adani’s Carmichael election winning coal mine can’t turn a profit? Surely they aren’t suggesting the government(s) are going to prop up a dying industry. That wouldn’t wash for the motor vehicle industry 

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/the-numbers-on-adani-simply-don-t-add-up-20190524-p51qoy.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1558661882

The prices used aren’t exactly right. They have used the lowest spot price over the last 6 years to work out income. Currently prices are 30-40% higher 

operating cost appear to be in the wrong currency usd compared to aud 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Parkside said:

Be good if someone who worked in funds management or similar could break down the communist manifesto presented in the SMH daring to suggest Adani’s Carmichael election winning coal mine can’t turn a profit? Surely they aren’t suggesting the government(s) are going to prop up a dying industry. That wouldn’t wash for the motor vehicle industry 

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/the-numbers-on-adani-simply-don-t-add-up-20190524-p51qoy.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1558661882

But the motor vehicle industry couldn’t sell their vehicles.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

"An analysis by the University of Melbourne's Climate and Energy College, produced for the Greens"

Hahahahahaha

Of course there is uncertainty in the generation market.  Who is going to invest hundreds of millions in a coal plant that a possible future government will ban based on nothing more than ideology?

No mention of the crippling effect that the unreliability of renewals has on spot prices I see...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IronJimbo said:

"An analysis by the University of Melbourne's Climate and Energy College, produced for the Greens"

Hahahahahaha

Of course there is uncertainty in the generation market.  Who is going to invest hundreds of millions in a coal plant that a possible future government will ban based on nothing more than ideology?

No mention of the crippling effect that the unreliability of renewals has on spot prices I see...

good to see you made it back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

I do agree with wait they have concluded that a summit needs to be considered with all premiers and both federal leaders and consider policies based on a bipartisan approach. Neither Parties policies are suitable to me in doing something in the whole energy sector and any plan for the future that is sensible and not going to negatively affect everyone 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard a funny thing on the radio today courtesy of the Indian Link newspaper. They ran a photo of a candidate crying into his hands because he'd only received 5 votes in the Indian election this week.

He was so upset because there were 9 voters in his family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

People tend to notice when less tax is taken out of their pay

Do they really? Depending on which tax bracket you fall in, and assuming people are paid fortnightly ( I'm paid monthly ), what sort of extra money are we talking about? $10, $20?? A cup of coffee and one of those hipster avocado sandwiches.

Agree in noticing more tax coming out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, trinube said:

Heard a funny thing on the radio today courtesy of the Indian Link newspaper. They ran a photo of a candidate crying into his hands because he'd only received 5 votes in the Indian election this week.

He was so upset because there were 9 voters in his family.

It's come out that he's received 800+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, goughy said:

It's come out that he's received 800+

Didn't hear that - but don't let the truth get in the way of a good story...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, softy said:

Pretty busy during Christmas, and the water can still be below 20 C some years. Plenty of beach and rock action between the break wall and Kianga. You could even try a fly at the beach/rocks on the south side of Kianga point ( off the front of the shops ). Plenty of small bombies and sand that offers good terrain for bream, tailor, salmon and whiting.

As for bass.... my old place was on the Tuross River directly opposite the old Bodalla Cheese factory and I walked down and caught Bass and Estuary Perch. I know of guys who have got fish around Bumbo as well but the water starts to get too salty that far towards the lakes.

Heading north, if you turn left at Bodalla Police Station onto Eurobodalla Road, it follows the Tuross River west. Around 12k west, the bridge crosses the river and and heads out towards Tinpot. My brother grows Blueberries out that way and catches Bass on soft plastics, but you don't have to go that far.

 https://www.google.com/maps/@-36.0990631,150.0042637,14z

If you turn onto Comerang Forest Road ( about 2k off the highway ), and either paddled or walked the banks and fished the bends and overhangs, I'd say you'd get fish. If you don't, it's a bloody nice way to spend the day.

Thanks Softy, great info.  Will get my nephew out for a bit of a bass fish, as he has more patience than my brother!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Read an interesting article this morning that was saying that when the people want a change of govt, they don't want a change of everything else as well, and trying to do so is a death Nell.  It used I think 5 times when the current govt was on the nose and it was expected that a change was a given, but the opposition went hard with also promising big changes and in 4 cases they suffered a "surprise" loss.  Hewson is the obvious one, and apparently Hawke reminded him for years that he should have just shut up about the GST and waited till he was in power.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, goughy said:

Read an interesting article this morning that was saying that when the people want a change of govt, they don't want a change of everything else as well, and trying to do so is a death Nell.  It used I think 5 times when the current govt was on the nose and it was expected that a change was a given, but the opposition went hard with also promising big changes and in 4 cases they suffered a "surprise" loss.  Hewson is the obvious one, and apparently Hawke reminded him for years that he should have just shut up about the GST and waited till he was in power.  

Oppositions dont tend to win 'close' elections either.  There have been twelve since WWII where the margin has been 49-/51 or less going in, and the incumbent has won every time

When oppositions win government they usually do it comfortably.  Abbott 2013, Rudd 2007, Howard 1996, Hawke 1983 etc 

Edited by IronJimbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...