Rocket Salad

The Politics Thread

7 hours ago, softy said:

In all seriousness, do most people ( I won't use average, as I'm not sure there is such a thing ), believe that their lives and/or lifestyle would change, no matter who won?

I don't really follow politics and don't voice an opinion as a non resident, I just have to accept what happens when I'm home and go with it. 

I think as there is a growing gap between the have's and the have not's, and the have nots tend to blame the government more for some reason. 

9 hours ago, softy said:

In all seriousness, do most people ( I won't use average, as I'm not sure there is such a thing ), believe that their lives and/or lifestyle would change, no matter who won?

I don't really follow politics and don't voice an opinion as a non resident, I just have to accept what happens when I'm home and go with it. 

It's usually small groups that notice the changes.  One example that springs to mind when Fairwork came into effect there were students that would have 2 hours of work after school in small local businesses including supermarkets.  For most this was the only work available in these regional centres.

Fairwork moved the minimum hours for a shift from 2 to 3.  Suddenly businesses that employed students from 3.30 to 5.30 had to either pay these students 3 hours of work for working 2 hours, or let them go.  Regional centre businesses are not the most profitable so you can guess which choice happened.

For the average person living in the city working full time, with a mortgage, kids and a car in the garage the changes are small, just like the frog in the boiling pot and you don't notice it until one day you think back to how it was 3 governments ago and say enough

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

People tend to notice when less tax is taken out of their pay.  Which is why Trump's approval rose last year when he got his tax cuts through

They notice even more when more tax is taken out

They don’t notice when their electricity bills double it seems

2 hours ago, Parkside said:

or when you pay people to pollute rather than get 8 billion from them

12 hours ago, softy said:

Yes. The industry I work in is affected by a change in goverment.

2 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

or when you pay people to pollute rather than get 8 billion from them

or when they get sick & can't afford to go to hospital

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

BTW will be spending this Xmas down your way at Kianga.  Know any good bass fishing spots nearby 😉 I'm thinking Moruya River near Yarragee, Tuross river near Tuross?  Apparently Tuross Lake (flathead spot) has been so hammered they had to cancel this years annual fishing comp!

Pretty busy during Christmas, and the water can still be below 20 C some years. Plenty of beach and rock action between the break wall and Kianga. You could even try a fly at the beach/rocks on the south side of Kianga point ( off the front of the shops ). Plenty of small bombies and sand that offers good terrain for bream, tailor, salmon and whiting.

As for bass.... my old place was on the Tuross River directly opposite the old Bodalla Cheese factory and I walked down and caught Bass and Estuary Perch. I know of guys who have got fish around Bumbo as well but the water starts to get too salty that far towards the lakes.

Heading north, if you turn left at Bodalla Police Station onto Eurobodalla Road, it follows the Tuross River west. Around 12k west, the bridge crosses the river and and heads out towards Tinpot. My brother grows Blueberries out that way and catches Bass on soft plastics, but you don't have to go that far.

https://www.google.com/maps/@-36.0990631,150.0042637,14z

If you turn onto Comerang Forest Road ( about 2k off the highway ), and either paddled or walked the banks and fished the bends and overhangs, I'd say you'd get fish. If you don't, it's a bloody nice way to spend the day.

Be good if someone who worked in funds management or similar could break down the communist manifesto presented in the SMH daring to suggest Adani’s Carmichael election winning coal mine can’t turn a profit? Surely they aren’t suggesting the government(s) are going to prop up a dying industry. That wouldn’t wash for the motor vehicle industry 

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/the-numbers-on-adani-simply-don-t-add-up-20190524-p51qoy.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1558661882

Edited by Parkside

On 23/05/2019 at 4:50 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

The only business class flight I've ever had was to Mackay, and I was the only one not wearing hi-vis in there. :)

I only fly business class now at 50 I figure why not

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

or when they get sick & can't afford to go to hospital

But public hospitals are free I thought 

5 hours ago, Parkside said:

I guess we are lucky Bill and his team didn’t get in then.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Parkside said:

Be good if someone who worked in funds management or similar could break down the communist manifesto presented in the SMH daring to suggest Adani’s Carmichael election winning coal mine can’t turn a profit? Surely they aren’t suggesting the government(s) are going to prop up a dying industry. That wouldn’t wash for the motor vehicle industry 

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/the-numbers-on-adani-simply-don-t-add-up-20190524-p51qoy.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1558661882

The prices used aren’t exactly right. They have used the lowest spot price over the last 6 years to work out income. Currently prices are 30-40% higher 

operating cost appear to be in the wrong currency usd compared to aud 

1 hour ago, Parkside said:

But the motor vehicle industry couldn’t sell their vehicles.  

44 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

"An analysis by the University of Melbourne's Climate and Energy College, produced for the Greens"

Hahahahahaha

Of course there is uncertainty in the generation market.  Who is going to invest hundreds of millions in a coal plant that a possible future government will ban based on nothing more than ideology?

No mention of the crippling effect that the unreliability of renewals has on spot prices I see...

• Like 1

Just now, IronJimbo said:

"An analysis by the University of Melbourne's Climate and Energy College, produced for the Greens"

Hahahahahaha

Of course there is uncertainty in the generation market.  Who is going to invest hundreds of millions in a coal plant that a possible future government will ban based on nothing more than ideology?

No mention of the crippling effect that the unreliability of renewals has on spot prices I see...

good to see you made it back

59 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

I do agree with wait they have concluded that a summit needs to be considered with all premiers and both federal leaders and consider policies based on a bipartisan approach. Neither Parties policies are suitable to me in doing something in the whole energy sector and any plan for the future that is sensible and not going to negatively affect everyone 

Heard a funny thing on the radio today courtesy of the Indian Link newspaper. They ran a photo of a candidate crying into his hands because he'd only received 5 votes in the Indian election this week.

He was so upset because there were 9 voters in his family.

11 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

People tend to notice when less tax is taken out of their pay

Do they really? Depending on which tax bracket you fall in, and assuming people are paid fortnightly ( I'm paid monthly ), what sort of extra money are we talking about? $10, $20?? A cup of coffee and one of those hipster avocado sandwiches.

Agree in noticing more tax coming out.

3 minutes ago, trinube said:

Heard a funny thing on the radio today courtesy of the Indian Link newspaper. They ran a photo of a candidate crying into his hands because he'd only received 5 votes in the Indian election this week.

He was so upset because there were 9 voters in his family.

It's come out that he's received 800+

8 minutes ago, goughy said:

It's come out that he's received 800+

Didn't hear that - but don't let the truth get in the way of a good story...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, softy said:

Pretty busy during Christmas, and the water can still be below 20 C some years. Plenty of beach and rock action between the break wall and Kianga. You could even try a fly at the beach/rocks on the south side of Kianga point ( off the front of the shops ). Plenty of small bombies and sand that offers good terrain for bream, tailor, salmon and whiting.

As for bass.... my old place was on the Tuross River directly opposite the old Bodalla Cheese factory and I walked down and caught Bass and Estuary Perch. I know of guys who have got fish around Bumbo as well but the water starts to get too salty that far towards the lakes.

Heading north, if you turn left at Bodalla Police Station onto Eurobodalla Road, it follows the Tuross River west. Around 12k west, the bridge crosses the river and and heads out towards Tinpot. My brother grows Blueberries out that way and catches Bass on soft plastics, but you don't have to go that far.

https://www.google.com/maps/@-36.0990631,150.0042637,14z

If you turn onto Comerang Forest Road ( about 2k off the highway ), and either paddled or walked the banks and fished the bends and overhangs, I'd say you'd get fish. If you don't, it's a bloody nice way to spend the day.

Thanks Softy, great info.  Will get my nephew out for a bit of a bass fish, as he has more patience than my brother!

Read an interesting article this morning that was saying that when the people want a change of govt, they don't want a change of everything else as well, and trying to do so is a death Nell.  It used I think 5 times when the current govt was on the nose and it was expected that a change was a given, but the opposition went hard with also promising big changes and in 4 cases they suffered a "surprise" loss.  Hewson is the obvious one, and apparently Hawke reminded him for years that he should have just shut up about the GST and waited till he was in power.  

3 hours ago, goughy said:

Read an interesting article this morning that was saying that when the people want a change of govt, they don't want a change of everything else as well, and trying to do so is a death Nell.  It used I think 5 times when the current govt was on the nose and it was expected that a change was a given, but the opposition went hard with also promising big changes and in 4 cases they suffered a "surprise" loss.  Hewson is the obvious one, and apparently Hawke reminded him for years that he should have just shut up about the GST and waited till he was in power.  

Oppositions dont tend to win 'close' elections either.  There have been twelve since WWII where the margin has been 49-/51 or less going in, and the incumbent has won every time

When oppositions win government they usually do it comfortably.  Abbott 2013, Rudd 2007, Howard 1996, Hawke 1983 etc 

Edited by IronJimbo

7 hours ago, goughy said:

GST was a big change. It was not sold correctly.

The GST In theory allows the wealthier to pay more tax through spending. As they say... the more you have the more you spend.

A more unloseable election than the last one.

10 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

GST was a big change. It was not sold correctly.

The GST In theory allows the wealthier to pay more tax through spending. As they say... the more you have the more you spend.

In theory it does, in practice it doesn't. Mainly because it's not the wealthy running out to buy the latest 'must have' phone, pay tv or buying cars on PCP. The wealthy make things last, the super wealthy buy whatever they want. You don't get/stay wealthy by spending it.

Edited by FatPom

If Scott Morrison became ScoMo, does that mean Anthony Albanese becomes AnAl???

14 hours ago, goughy said:

AnAl? No I recon he’ll stick with Albo. At least he didn’t have to come up with it himself and have it focus grouped first before running with it.

Edited by Mike Del
  • Like 1

Looks like the ALP think they can do without those Queensland seats they lost, given that Albo still doesn't want to back Adani and his deputy-elect has reversed his February anti-coal stance

Fun times...

Edited by IronJimbo
It's James Comey's fault

On 26/05/2019 at 7:24 PM, goughy said:

I heard ScoMo being called.....” ScoMo....The Mesiah from the Shire”

13 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

I heard ScoMo being called.....” ScoMo....The Mesiah from the Shire”

I heard Albo being referred to as the 'Marrickville Mauler'

The great Labor tradition of plagiarism continues 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Prince said:

those evil “top end of town” savages........

oh dear Bill. Keep guessing.

That was some extremely poor judgment, not just by Shortpants, but by the whole party.

If that kind of sentiment was part of a behind closed doors, rev 'em up speech, it might have been OK.

"The bad guys are against us and they won this time, but by god we'll get em next time!" kind of thing.

But as a public speech it showed a terrible lack of political nouse and likely reinforced the thoughts of a lot of people who couldn't vote for them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Prince said:

those evil “top end of town” savages........

oh dear Bill. Keep guessing.

Mr Mediscare complaining about lies and spreading fear is breathtakingly hypocritical 

No mention either of the rivers of gold from the union movement, GetUp etc. or favourable coverage from the ABC/Nein Media in his analysis of 'vested interests'

Complaining that a politician was being hypocritical is like complaining that they're breathing.  They all do it, we can't stop it, and they won't stop it either!  None of them.

6 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

They've finally worked out the cost of Labor's Climate Change policy.

An election, and a leader.

6d9791b900b381b1d1b234a2b72e2c7c.jpeg

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

6d9791b900b381b1d1b234a2b72e2c7c.jpeg

And then they go ahead and promote Kristina Kennearly over people who are way more qualified. Did Labor not learn anything in there defeat. KK is a poisoned chalice.

And they even gave Bill a job. Oh dear.

Hey Queensland, is it true the Indian mine will only provide 800 of you a job once (if) it ever gets built? Well done you.

30 minutes ago, Parkside said:

Hey Queensland, is it true the Indian mine will only provide 800 of you a job once (if) it ever gets built? Well done you.

If you think the mine is the one reason why Labor lost, when the vast majority of regional seats said a resounding no, then you really have not thought this one out

55 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

If you think the mine is the one reason why Labor lost, when the vast majority of regional seats said a resounding no, then you really have not thought this one out

is it not the resounding reason there was massive swings in Qld? 

5 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

KK is hot smart and qualified only mistake is she is not the leader

The only thing KK is good at is losing elections 

By all means though, put your faith in her 

2 hours ago, Parkside said:

Hey Queensland, is it true the Indian mine will only provide 800 of you a job once (if) it ever gets built? 

Probably not 

42 minutes ago, Parkside said:

is it not the resounding reason there was massive swings in Qld? 

Trying to appease a noisy minority in inner city suburbs with no grasp on the reality beyond the sidewalk is probably the main reason. 

this_is_where_I_live-min.jpeg

• Like 3

So we are supposed to believe that the consequence of climate change may be an end to civilisation within 30 years?

The only reasonable question to ask is whether the green movement can understand that they will never be taken seriously while espousing doomsday scenarios yet still eschewing nuclear.  Billions will almost certainly die and continents worth of land will be rendered unusable if we don't reduce carbon emissions apparently yet a proven solution that has a one-in-a-million chance of killing a few hundred and laying waste to hundreds of hectares is a bridge too far?  You'd have to be a moron not to take those odds, right?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

The only thing KK is good at is losing elections 

By all means though, put your faith in her 

She is hot

• Sad 1