Rocket Salad

The Politics Thread

2 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Can I learn  from you, how about we have a weekly or monthly on line transitions lecture.

don't learn from me, read what your labor legends in your own party are saying in the wash-up. only plebersik is going with the "it was Clive" excuse. 

Remember this: Shorten thought anyone who is on $90k plus is the top end of town. He is out of touch.

Also, ScoMo pretty much had an answer for everything and that is because he previously was Treasurer hence he knows about the the costings. Bill left that to others.

ScoMos victory speech spoke of fairness for all and everyone having the opportunity to succeed. Bills campaign divided the landscape. It was not all inclusive across the population.

Again, congrats to the IronJimbo party.

• Like 1

Just now, IronmanFoz said:

Remember this: Shorten thought anyone who is on $90k plus is the top end of town. He is out of touch.

Also, ScoMo pretty much had an answer for everything and that is because he previously was Treasurer hence he knows about the the costings. Bill left that to others.

ScoMos victory speech spoke of fairness for all and everyone having the opportunity to succeed. Bills campaign divided the landscape. It was not all inclusive across the population.

Again, congrats to the IronJimbo party.

well said,   where is Ooompa?  he is quiet. 

4 minutes ago, more said:

It's not that hard-Labor have a reputation for wasting money and taxing people who have worked hard for what they have. That needs to change.

And leaving a massive debt for the next government to cleanup.

On 12/05/2019 at 9:20 PM, Oompa Loompa said:

With Sco Mo's incompetant campaign and having lost the election already. 

Does the Liberal Party blame him, the Liberal Party itself or both. 

They treat people like Abbott and Turnbull with disdain who won elections, how will they treat a non performer that has never won one and only ever lost one.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Maybe you need an accountant rather than a financial adviser.

But from. Labor standpoint it was a stupid policy. If it came in, retirees etc would have most likely dumped share and put money elsewhere. And those dumped shares would have been picked up by other investors who would be eligible for franking credits....therefore the net gain for Labor govt is zero.

I have an accountant, but he is basically MIA except at tax return time.

25 minutes ago, Prince said:

that .75% can mean the world to some pensioners that rely on this money.  It wasn't a scare campaign to them. Dumb policy. Bowen should also step aside and all their policies should now be dropped if they wish to survive. 

When the Ad says "Your pension gone, your liveihood gone" or words to that effect, it rates as a scare campaign to me.  But Libs don't have a monopoly on scare campaigns.

24 minutes ago, trinube said:

I simply don't understand why politicians can say pretty much anything during a campaign and there's no legal mechanism for them to be corrected. Don't get me started on election promises that are never delivered. There needs to be accountability - you can't deliver the policy you were voted in on then step down.

Yup

14 minutes ago, trinube said:

Super's not about being wealthy, it's  a way to get people off the public purse. Keating recognised the benefit of compulsory super  as a way for people to support themselves because the aged pension simply isn't sustainable with a booming population. It may take a generation or so but the country will benefit enormously from what Keating did in the 90s.

Agree.  Damn glad for our girls they get that 9.5%.  And after 16yrs of self-employment, it's worked for me.

• Like 1

If what the pundits are saying is correct, that labor shot them selves in the foot by actually announcing their policies  be they controversial or not is a sad indictment on our current system. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roxii said:

If what the pundits are saying is correct, that labor shot them selves in the foot by actually announcing their policies  be they controversial or not is a sad indictment on our current system. 

It's not that they announced them, it's that they weren't the right policies.

Channelling Yes, Minister,  there's a difference between being 'courageous' and being 'wrong'.

52 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Queensland the stupid state

Nope, Labor the stupid party.  Preferencing the greens and then the animal justice party showed their true colours.  There is a little movement in Qld (and a couple of other states) called the Green shirt movement.  All they did on election day was to get people to preference all 3 parties last.  Something like 100,000 members of this movement across the country now, mostly from people that don't give a shit about politics any other time but are sick of inner city elitists (making comments like the above) thinking they can tell everyone how to do things with a smug smile

Qld state elections is next, if Anna doesn't change the preference deal and denounce the extremists policies of these parties, there is going to be an even bigger whack to her come September

If you really believe in the movement you support, find a way to actually communicate.  First step might be to walk a mile in the shoes of those in regional Australia and understand them before preaching

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Interesting to see a swing of something like 3.5% against the sitting Labor member in the seat of Whitlam.... and that was without the Libs even putting up a candidate 

Seems the working class didn’t fancy what Bill was trying to sell

And as far as people complaining about a scare campaign on a death tax, well you people have short memories because I don’t any scare campaign will ever come close to the Mediscare campaign of last election 

I’d like to hear what Andrew#1 makes of this Labor loss. He’d have the inside goss

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trinube said:

Super's not about being wealthy, it's  a way to get people off the public purse.

Yet Australia leads the world in the amount we leave for our family when we die. Results from 2017 show the average inheritance left by Australians ($501,000) is 4 times the global average, and nearly 50% higher than the 2nd country on the list, Singapore. What is it, but compulsory Super that has led to that?

34 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

Nope, Labor the stupid party.  Preferencing the greens and then the animal justice party showed their true colours.  There is a little movement in Qld (and a couple of other states) called the Green shirt movement.  All they did on election day was to get people to preference all 3 parties last.  Something like 100,000 members of this movement across the country now, mostly from people that don't give a shit about politics any other time but are sick of inner city elitists (making comments like the above) thinking they can tell everyone how to do things with a smug smile

Qld state elections is next, if Anna doesn't change the preference deal and denounce the extremists policies of these parties, there is going to be an even bigger whack to her come September

If you really believe in the movement you support, find a way to actually communicate.  First step might be to walk a mile in the shoes of those in regional Australia and understand them before preaching

It will be a tough time if labor stay with their emissions target. We don’t even have a real plan for this. Neither party  It’s way too high but we need to do something on it 

They’re environment policy is at odds with the Unions  something has to give   They should all be asking ‘what would Bob do?

2 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Yet Australia leads the world in the amount we leave for our family when we die. Results from 2017 show the average inheritance left by Australians ($501,000) is 4 times the global average, and nearly 50% higher than the 2nd country on the list, Singapore. What is it, but compulsory Super that has led to that?

I want to see them do more for super.  Even the cap is not right.  Get it 12% as well as soon as possible.  It will be a good cost saving for all governments in the future.  

At least we should be seeing a surplus by this time next year. 

And I should be able to arrive late at Ferny Grove station & get a carpark, or get over the Linkfield overpass without any hold-up.

Have you got your 2nd range crossing yet Goughy?

38 minutes ago, Mr Tinman said:

I’d like to hear what Andrew#1 makes of this Labor loss. He’d have the inside goss

I am sure he will give some interesting insights and I am sure he will post something once he drops Bill off at the airport 

5 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Yet Australia leads the world in the amount we leave for our family when we die. Results from 2017 show the average inheritance left by Australians ($501,000) is 4 times the global average, and nearly 50% higher than the 2nd country on the list, Singapore. 

And what’s wrong with that?

The money is either going to be spent or invested, both of which is better than it being pissed up against a wall by government in Canberra 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

At least we should be seeing a surplus by this time next year. 

And I should be able to arrive late at Ferny Grove station & get a carpark, or get over the Linkfield overpass without any hold-up.

See.  It’s not all bad Ex.  

4 minutes ago, Prince said:

I want to see them do more for super.  Even the cap is not right.  Get it 12% as well as soon as possible.  It will be a good cost saving for all governments in the future.  

Exactly 

Super needs to be made as attractive as possible for those on lower incomes

I think it’s time the 15% contribution tax was abolished for those earning less than say $100k

The more the government can encourage people to save for their retirement the more money they will save over the long term

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

It's not too far from finished.  Much is open.  The previous lnp member said for 15 years he would deliver, and after 15 years it happened.

31 minutes ago, Mr Tinman said:

Exactly 

I think it’s time the 15% contribution tax was abolished for those earning less than say $100k

The more the government can encourage people to save for their retirement the more money they will save over the long term

Until the arseholes see it as another big pot of money to tax...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, more said:

Until the arseholes see it as another big pot of money to tax...

True

OK then , go the other way then

Zero contributions tax on all super, tax on distributions at marginal rates with 50% discount, grandfathered so that no one that has payed contributions tax for many years is worse off ( say everyone under 50 is included so they still have quite a few years to take advantage of the change)

At least that way people’s nest eggs will grow as fast as possible and the government will get its cut of a growing tax base over time 

Edit: And no one can complain people are amassing huge super accounts and dodging tax

Edited by Mr Tinman

I just wanna say this once then I'll leave it alone.  But there really is a sentimentality coming that all people who have great incomes, say that 90k/year or more are all hard workers who have sacrificed to get there.  And if you're not well off, you don't want it enough and don't work hard enough.  I really find this an appalling opinion, and I just can't understand where it comes from?  But every time you put a piece of trash in the bin at a shopping centre, someone has to empty it for you!  Every time you take a shit in their toilets, someone has to eventually clean that toilet!  Are you gonna do it?  Are you gonna pay someone 100k to do it?  Why don't you find the cleaner the next time you're at a Westfield and you tell them they just don't want it enough and aren't trying enough!

And before IJ asks me, yes, I have done this!  For 18 months, 7 days a week.  Not everyone will reach the heights of everyone else.  If we all did, I bet this country wouldn't survive.  But this elitist attitude, or whatever it is, that because your doing well then you must be better than those that aren't, is just crap.

I do work for wealthy people, and for people who aren't as well off.  I'm about to do a job for one of the wealthiest families in town.  You know how much I charged them; the same as I do for everyone else!  Because wealthy or not, we're all the same people.  No one is any better than anyone else because of money.  I know well off people who are absolute piece of shit self centred wankers, and I know well off people who are the absolute salt of the earth.  The same goes for the less wealthy people I know.

And if you want to think that I have an attitude problem about wealthier people, well out of all my friends here, there wouldn't be one whose family income is less than triple what ours is!  Most would be much higher than that.  Not one of those people think less of me because of it, and I don't covert what they have.  I love my family and I would, and do do everything I can for them.  That is all I need in life.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, goughy said:

Every time you take a shit in their toilets, someone has to eventually clean that toilet!  Are you gonna do it?  Are you gonna pay someone 100k to do it?  Why don't you find the cleaner the next time you're at a Westfield and you tell them they just don't want it enough and aren't trying enough!

Unless you live in Nauru where the toilet cleaners are amongest the highest paid people in the country....because they are all the relos of the pollies whose companies have the toilet cleaning contracts 🙄

20 minutes ago, goughy said:

I just wanna say this once then I'll leave it alone.  But there really is a sentimentality coming that all people who have great incomes, say that 90k/year or more are all hard workers who have sacrificed to get there.  And if you're not well off, you don't want it enough and don't work hard enough.  I really find this an appalling opinion, and I just can't understand where it comes from?  

It might have come from this ‘big end of town’ mentality.  You can’t keep biting the people on high incomes or big corporations or the banks. Yes they earn a lot but they are also keeping this country alive    Fairness for all should be promoted    

Morrison should work on getting wages increased somehow and whilst not hurting small business    There are some valuable  lessons for both parties. 

I happy today though not because my horse won but my gut tells me Morrison will be a good leader and the fantastic thing the party has already had a cleanout . No more toxic Abbott and a fair amount of new blood. I rated Morrison as a fairly average leader but I like the cut of his jib. His speech last night was great. 

4 hours ago, trinube said:

I've always thought polls were a bit hit and miss. I mean who would actually admit to voting for One Nation?

Exactly

Which is why conservatives generally were always going to do better on polling day 

3 hours ago, Prince said:

For a change  😄

Funny, he doesn’t strike me as a loud mouth lefty IRL..... but I call BS on him ever voting conservative except maybe for our humble state Premier 

Same with Andrew#1 actually 

Edit: About Andrew being a loud mouth lefty. No way he has ever voted conservative 😎

Edited by Mr Tinman

29 minutes ago, Prince said:

It might have come from this ‘big end of town’ mentality.  You can’t keep biting the people on high incomes or big corporations or the banks. Yes they earn a lot but they are also keeping this country alive    Fairness for all should be promoted

This

The electorate saw right though Bills attempt to divide the country 

How long till Bill calls it a day and there is a by election in his seat?

58 minutes ago, goughy said:

I just wanna say this once then I'll leave it alone.  But there really is a sentimentality coming that all people who have great incomes, say that 90k/year or more are all hard workers who have sacrificed to get there.  And if you're not well off, you don't want it enough and don't work hard enough.  I really find this an appalling opinion, and I just can't understand where it comes from? 

I don't hold that opinion, and I doubt anyone else on here does either

3 hours ago, Prince said:

13 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

How good is it, democracy has spoken.    Happy Birthday Jimbo.

I called it earlier, I have no issue with it.  I vote for a fairer society rather then myself.   

The result helps me financially and my own self interest so no issues there, it is what it is.

Have been holding of on one or two financial decisions and this result makes it very clear now. 

Edited by Oompa Loompa
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/headlines/shocked-leftie-starting-to-think-his-farm-invasions-werent-received-that-well-outside-fitzroy/

“Queensland is full of rednecks” says one Melbourne-based slam poet, Andy Vaxxer (59).

“Why would they vote against their self-interests?”

“How could they not see that we just want the best for them?”

This is just one of hundreds of thousands of cafe conversations pin-balling around echo chambers across the country this morning, following Scott Morrison’s landslide win against Labor in yesterday’s 2019 Federal Election.

However, today it appears some left-wing ideologues are beginning to eat humble pie – after months of STOP ADANI convoys and militant vegan farm invasions.

Andy says he doesn’t really know what the answer is, but maybe Australia is just full of stupid people who only vote conservatively because they aren’t as well educated as he is.

“I’m starting to think that breaking onto a 70-year-old’s cattle property and telling the entire agricultural sector that they are blights on our society might have been the wrong way to go about it”

“I mean, I don’t know much about Queensland other than the fact that it’s impossible to find a decent coffee in any of these towns we were protesting in… But…”

“I just think they are ruining our democracy by voting for the more charismatic political party”

However, one thing Andy doesn’t regret is shutting down the entire Melbourne CBD in peak hour traffic to promote a Youtube documentary about how eating red meat is bad.

“I guess, we could wait for the pre-poll votes” says Andy, in a delusional stretch of optimism.

“But seriously. I’d be really interested in seeing if there was any voter suppression in Melbourne and Sydney. Those massive swings to the Liberal Party don’t make sense to me”

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Rocket Salad said:

Clear mandate for the Adani mine.

Yes. Maybe we should let more coal mining get approvals.  but make sure its exported. The mining companies should then pay the largest tax and that money should be invested into renewables.  

Then major incentives for companies that start businesses that can have an impact on reducing our emissions etc 

1 hour ago, goughy said:

I just wanna say this once then I'll leave it alone.  But there really is a sentimentality coming that all people who have great incomes, say that 90k/year or more are all hard workers who have sacrificed to get there.  And if you're not well off, you don't want it enough and don't work hard enough.  I really find this an appalling opinion, and I just can't understand where it comes from?  But every time you put a piece of trash in the bin at a shopping centre, someone has to empty it for you!  Every time you take a shit in their toilets, someone has to eventually clean that toilet!  Are you gonna do it?  Are you gonna pay someone 100k to do it?  Why don't you find the cleaner the next time you're at a Westfield and you tell them they just don't want it enough and aren't trying enough!

And before IJ asks me, yes, I have done this!  For 18 months, 7 days a week.  Not everyone will reach the heights of everyone else.  If we all did, I bet this country wouldn't survive.  But this elitist attitude, or whatever it is, that because your doing well then you must be better than those that aren't, is just crap.

I do work for wealthy people, and for people who aren't as well off.  I'm about to do a job for one of the wealthiest families in town.  You know how much I charged them; the same as I do for everyone else!  Because wealthy or not, we're all the same people.  No one is any better than anyone else because of money.  I know well off people who are absolute piece of shit self centred wankers, and I know well off people who are the absolute salt of the earth.  The same goes for the less wealthy people I know.

And if you want to think that I have an attitude problem about wealthier people, well out of all my friends here, there wouldn't be one whose family income is less than triple what ours is!  Most would be much higher than that.  Not one of those people think less of me because of it, and I don't covert what they have.  I love my family and I would, and do do everything I can for them.  That is all I need in life.

As others have said I don't think anyone would think that is the case. But what does seem to happen all to often is people see people on 'high' incomes or net wealth and think that they have got it easily.

I've seen and worked with many very wealthy people and in every example not a single one got to where there are without an extremely high amount of hard work and sacrifice. It many cases you have 'working class's guys who have worked 7 days a week and mortgaged their house and hardkey seen their kids to get where they are. And then to have the Labor party continually come along and call them the 'top end' of town and to penalise them is an absolute disgrace and an insult to everyone who has rolled up their sleeves to better themselves and their families.

• Like 2

Yes.  And I think all around Morrison is a pretty decent guy   He is coming across more genuine to me as time goes on. I can put up with a bible bashing PM I guess.  I think  there are worse things he could be  at least he won’t have an Affair  😂

my own opinion is that if he had some detractors in the party then they are humbled and he will now be so massively respected in his party now and the independents keep both parties honest.  

I have a lot of hope. I don’t care if it gets good or better for me. I live from pay cheque to pay cheque which is fine. I just want a ‘good government’ and a leader that has some guts   

Edited by Prince

53 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I don't hold that opinion, and I doubt anyone else on here does either

I’m sure most here don’t but I’ve met plenty that do. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, goughy said:

I made the point about the 90k. But your post has missed the point in that it is not about the worker who earns more or less etc.It was about the perception of what the Labour government thinks is the top end of town. Like I said they are out of touch.

Your other point is more around respect for others..... and like Congressman IronJimbo and others said ......they don’t hold that opinion etc. For me.....I have friends who has nothing and friends who have insane amounts of $. No one treats anyone else differently. And that is also the great thing about sport in general and also with Triathlon. It is the great leveled!

Finally talking about toilet cleaners etc. I work in an office and due to shift work I see a lot of the cleaners in evenings etc. Just because our jobs are different it doesn’t stop me talking to them and asking them where there from etc (mostly India). They are great people and they get my respect whatever job they do.

Edited by IronmanFoz
Spelling corrections
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Prince said:

Yes. Maybe we should let more coal mining get approvals.  but make sure its exported. The mining companies should then pay the largest tax and that money should be invested into renewables.  

Then major incentives for companies that start businesses that can have an impact on reducing our emissions etc 

We could call it the Minerals Resource Rent Tax!

Or maybe not. :unsure:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Home ownership.

Just now, dazaau said:

Home ownership.

Retirement village owners are doing their best to remove that though

• Like 1

Pretty disappointed that Bob Hawke didn’t hang around a few more days to see Shortin lose the unloseable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Pretty disappointed that Bob Hawke didn’t hang around a few more days to see Shortin lose the unloseable.

That's not very charitable, or helpful.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Tinman said:

Exactly 

Super is a weird beast. The incentives are all over the place. I know people who bulldozed and rebuilt their house in an inner melbourne suburb to stick more equity into the house so they could get more pension. This person does plenty ok. If you do have a superfund and are living on it, the most rational thing to do is deplete it totally before you die and live on the pension in the last years of your life with the equity in your home.

If you are just getting by why on earth would you put more money in Super? It doesn't stack up. Trip away with the family or an additional super contribution, not a hard choice!.

For the well off it makes sense because they want to retire in style. But if you are used to living a frugal life then there is really no point living on even less so you can save other taxpayers money in pension payments later in life. If you have a choice between living frugally on a pension or on your own super well that's a no brainer isn't it. 

Anyway, not sure why I am rambling about super!

7 hours ago, roxii said:

Well done Scomo. 

Im in his electorate so I suppose nothing will change we didn’t see him when he was PM, we didn’t see him during the election and now we won’t see him again.

gotta say though as a self professed centrist and a bit of a lover of the “fair go” I think as a population and a government we have set the bar pretty low when it seems our only metric for how well we are doing is based on raw dollars and cents and self interest.

The debate both among the pollies  and the population seemed to be centred on a very small number of hip pocket items.

surely we are better than that as a nation, or have we moved beyond that now? 

I think it's not just about "self interest". It's also ideological. 

Labor had quite a few polcieis that were pretty interventionist. This raises problems with some low-income workers because why, for example, should chidlcare workers get an extra 20% of wages from the Commonwealth while as Goughy points out people are cleaning toilets on low wages, working retail, working in aged care - what do they get? How is that "fair". I also think the huge union showing was unhelpful at this election, they were all over everything here - telling people to change the government - but many low income workers aren't unionised and they can't see how that helps them, only helps people they think are already doing very well. 

Liberal tends to be more about less intervention, get the overall policies right and regulate markets correctly. Now I can say there is plenty of room for improvement here, and labor pointed out some challenging areas that need improvement, but I'm sure people saw the endless supply of policies from labor and thought "who is paying for all this", and do I benefit?  ScoMo reconnected with some of the Howard "battlers" I think. This is what got him over the line. Bill Shorten disconnected with these "battlers".

Hopefully with ScoMo at the helm we get a more centrist liberal leader, which I think brings the party together (Abbott was too far right and Turnbull was never right to lead the liberal party) - and hopefully we see good government for all Australians as promised. The forthcoming tax cuts for everyone earning under 120k should certainly help and have bipartisan support. The economy is also not doing that well and this will help in that regard. 

Edited by dazaau
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

There was a huge amount of misinformation getting around in our electorate. There were full billboards warning people of "Labor's Death tax", and a lot of stuff about what Dutton had "Delivered", which in actual fact is just promises that weren't even costed in the recent budget.

Dutton had boasted earlier about his "$600,000 war-chest" to fight Get-up and was incredibly visible. I think however, at least in my part of the electorate, the biggest factor was the fuss they made about Ali France not living in the electorate. I think if she had, it would have made the difference to a lot of people. 

Agree, I work closely with 4 people who live in Dickson and all 4 said they were voting for Dutton. 1 because the Labor candidate lived in the next electorate and the other 3 because of Labor’s 40% death tax. 

1 hour ago, dazaau said:

Super is a weird beast. The incentives are all over the place. I know people who bulldozed and rebuilt their house in an inner melbourne suburb to stick more equity into the house so they could get more pension. This person does plenty ok. If you do have a superfund and are living on it, the most rational thing to do is deplete it totally before you die and live on the pension in the last years of your life with the equity in your home.

If you are just getting by why on earth would you put more money in Super? It doesn't stack up. Trip away with the family or an additional super contribution, not a hard choice!.

For the well off it makes sense because they want to retire in style. But if you are used to living a frugal life then there is really no point living on even less so you can save other taxpayers money in pension payments later in life. If you have a choice between living frugally on a pension or on your own super well that's a no brainer isn't it. 

Anyway, not sure why I am rambling about super!

And then there's ex Cwlth public servants like my SIL who have one of those 'won the lottery' defined benefit pensions (80% of your highest salary level for life, spouse gets 50% if you die) - probably around $55-60K pa indexed to the CPI, lives in mansion in Noosa, and has been told by her financial adviser she will soon qualify for the aged pension!

Unbelievable.

• Like 1