Rocket Salad

The Politics Thread

41 minutes ago, Tyno said:

I've done my bit.

Like Goughy, it was hard to figure out who to put not last.

In the end it was bottom up: Anning,Hanson,Palmer.

12 below the line is the only way to not vote for some absolute tools in the Senate too.

Basically the same for me Tyno.  Yeah, I see people saying they don't know how to pick 6 up the top.  They don't realise if you go 12 under it can be like just picking 2 up the top!  I ended up picking 17 - I can't believe it.  But there were a few independents, and the dude from the mental health party that I wanted to throw one to.

32 minutes ago, more said:

I hope Shorten loses just because of the arrogant way he is strutting around as if it's already won. A bit of humility goes a long way...

I know Mr More.  Tonight is going to hurt me.  Kinda like watching Qld lose the State of Origin. You want to turn off when they have already lost  But you can’t help but see it till it’s death. Then your depressed for three days afterwards.  I may be depressed for the next 3 and a half years.  May have to see if their are any HR jobs in New Zealand...... sigh 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paul Every said:

Sounds more like a cheap gotcha question 

Pretty easy to wallop people with gotcha questions when they aren’t over the brief of what they’re pushing up hill, ok , let’s assume that Jones’ line of questioning was nothing more than an attempt at a gotcha moment 

Considering that her household has an annual income north of $800k, don’t you think they should put their money where their mouth is and stop driving a large petrol drinking suv and buy an electric vehicle?

As I said, no conviction 

Do as I say, not as I do

24 minutes ago, goughy said:

There are dicks everywhere!  You pretty much need to look out your window and you'll see one!

Do you live near a nudist colony Goughy? :D

• Haha 1

Oh, looking at Twitter (I know) and the Pirate Party is trending because people are like: 

"Arrr, Pirates!"

"Gee, I didn't know we could vote for Pirates"

"Don't vote for the Pirate Party, they want to repeal 18C"

At least the last one is partly an informed statement, but in general it makes me sad that people don't at least have a bit of an idea what they are doing before they get to the ballot box.

I only did a quick bit of research to finalize my thoughts last night, it's not hard.

Also, people complaining about #DemoracySausage? WTF?!

And is #DemocracyDog supposed to be about canine companions or non-meat based #DemoracySausages?

1 hour ago, more said:

I could list countless instances of people being physically attacked for symply wearing a MAGA hat in the US, not to mention the left violently trying to stop the right sides conferences etc And then you have the whole Antifa thing.

But yeah I'll agree there are plenty of right wing nut jobs also. The point I'm trying to make though is excluding the fringe nut jobs there seems to be a much higher disregard for opposing opinions from the left, and that opposition normally comes in the form of aggression. 

If you claim to be 'tolerant and accepting' you should be able to tolerate other opinions without resorting to violence.

And I'm sure if you went to the same small amount of trouble, you could doubtlessly find countless instances of right-wingers similarly misbehaving, from politics, to outside abortion clinics, to vigilante nutters with a gun and a manifesto.

I'm not saying that either side is better or worse than the other.

Or are you saying if the person doesn't claim to be of the 'tolerant and accepting' left, then resorting to violence is either more understandable or more acceptable?

I would think more hypocritical perhaps if they are from the social left.  Extreme intolerence of intolerance is a funny way to campaign for people to be more tolerant.

Edited by Stikman
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mr Tinman said:

Pretty easy to wallop people with gotcha questions when they aren’t over the brief of what they’re pushing up hill, ok , let’s assume that Jones’ line of questioning was nothing more than an attempt at a gotcha moment 

Considering that her household has an annual income north of $800k, don’t you think they should put their money where their mouth is and stop driving a large petrol drinking suv and buy an electric vehicle?

As I said, no conviction 

Do as I say, not as I do

It would be simple to catch anyone who isn't a climatologist (ie any politician) with the same or a similar question. It means very little. By that logic, no one in politics is "over the brief" or suitably informed regarding climate change.

No idea what Plibersek drives, whether she has solar panels on her roof or any number of other decisions she has made about her carbon footprint. Neither am I defending her per se.

As far as conviction goes, I don't think that's nearly as relevant as what a politician is prepared to do politically on the issue, as that's where they have the greatest influence and ability to initiate change. Political will and decisive action is worth way more than one person's choice of vehicle. Or whether they are readily able to cite >400 ppm as being significant in climate modelling.

Sadly, we've seen too much inaction for long on climate change. It's an issue which should be addressed based on scientific merit, but has unfortunately been mired in an unproductive political divide.

• Like 1

I have a horrible feeling the devil you know will narrowly hold sway with a horrid concoction of Palmer/Hanson/assorted fruit bats populating the cross bench. Abbott will call a spill on Scomo within a year once the surplus disappears and Albo will be opposition leader next month.

or Shorten will govern 

17 minutes ago, Parkside said:

or Shorten will govern 

Bill surely couldn’t survive losing this. 

Morrison could do OK as an Opposition leader, given the chance. I just don’t know if he will get the chance if they lose. A lot depends on other results. Like if the Spud gets back in easily, he could play the “You should have gone with me” card. 

I would go with Parkside.  I think it will be a tussle.  If Labor loses, Shorten will have to go.  I think he cost them the last election as it is (not that I have anything against him).

Pyne calling a minority liberal govt.  Dastyari calling 80+ for Labor!  I hope I have some of what he's drinking at dinner tonight!

Ladbrokes gave me the libs at $8, was worth a fiddy on the nose in a close two horse race. Fingers crossed...

You should have first gone back through this thread and checked out how accurately some of your assumptions turned out More, could have saved yourself a pineapple 🍍 

• Confused 1

These were being given out this afternoon at polling booths in Dixon. Admittedly, you should think about your vote rather than just write what's on the card, but is this legal? They don't match what the actual parties or Independent had on their own how to vote cards.image.thumb.png.e193ae0cab4d39a2b559e993914592b0.png

The address on the other side that has authorised it apparently has a Peter Dutton sign in the front yard.

15 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

These were being given out this afternoon at polling booths in Dixon. Admittedly, you should think about your vote rather than just write what's on the card, but is this legal? They don't match what the actual parties or Independent had on their own how to vote cards.image.thumb.png.e193ae0cab4d39a2b559e993914592b0.png

The address on the other side that has authorised it apparently has a Peter Dutton sign in the front yard.

They are all designed so that each vote will flow on to Peter Dutton on 2 party preferred.

What were the people handing them out wearing Ex?

They are supposed to be registered with the AEC, both the form and the person handing the out. I’m surprised the Labor or Greens guys weren’t straight on to it 

23 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

You should have first gone back through this thread and checked out how accurately some of your assumptions turned out More, could have saved yourself a pineapple 🍍 

Huh?

8 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

They are all designed so that each vote will flow on to Peter Dutton on 2 party preferred.

What were the people handing them out wearing Ex?

They are supposed to be registered with the AEC, both the form and the person handing the out. I’m surprised the Labor or Greens guys weren’t straight on to it 

No distinguishing shirt. I didn't see it, but someone said the person handing them out got a drink out of the esky under a chair the Liberal guy was using.

I just saw the Green & Animal Justice candidates with them on the News a couple minutes ago, so looks like it is being investigated.

4 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

No distinguishing shirt. I didn't see it, but someone said the person handing them out got a drink out of the esky under a chair the Liberal guy was using.

I just saw the Green & Animal Justice candidates with them on the News a couple minutes ago, so looks like it is being investigated.

They are obviously Dutton pamphlets. All parties will do similar from time to time. It’s a matter of if they’re registered. 

Is climate change really a policy that would swing a voter to one party or another?

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

These were being given out this afternoon at polling booths in Dixon. Admittedly, you should think about your vote rather than just write what's on the card, but is this legal? They don't match what the actual parties or Independent had on their own how to vote cards.

Here's a thought, lets just get rid of how to vote cards all together and get voters to like, um, think for themselves

Labor can lose from here and I'll still go to sleep happy.  Dutton loses and I'll have a party.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, goughy said:

Labor can lose from here and I'll still go to sleep happy.  Dutton loses and I'll have a party.

It's the worse possible outcome for labor in 3 years, libs just made a massive jump back to the centre

42 minutes ago, Parkside said:

Abbott to retire on back benchers pension 👍👍👍👌👌👌🎂🎂🎂

And then even if the libs win we don’t have to worry about an Abbott comeback.

looks like he can become a pro age grouper now. 

1 hour ago, softy said:

Is climate change really a policy that would swing a voter to one party or another?

Exit polls indicated that overall for  30 odd % of the voters it was their number 1 issue, that places it as the most important issue with voters. In Abbott’s seat of Warringah the climate came in at 52%

Edited by Mike Del

21 minutes ago, Parkside said:

Abbott to retire on back benchers pension 👍👍👍👌👌👌🎂🎂🎂

Thank Fark.  

Dutton next?

1 minute ago, Peter said:

Thank Fark.  

Dutton next?

Sadly looking like Dutton will be saved.

• Sad 1

Just now, Peter said:

Thank Fark.  

Dutton next?

Unfortunately it doesn't look like it.

Unless all the pre-poll votes are from Labor supporters. That's unlikely though, as it would be all the Liberal voters that don't mind working on a Saturday without penalty rates that would have had to vote early.

lol

Dutton with a swing towards him

Leftist hatred appears to have gotten the job done in Warringah though, so even if ScoMo wins overall they can still go to bed with a smile on their face 

Tony Abbotts speach was one of the most dignified and respectful defeat speaches I have heard. Hopefully some of the people on the left will show some similar class....

5 minutes ago, more said:

Tony Abbotts speach was one of the most dignified and respectful defeat speaches I have heard. Hopefully some of the people on the left will show some similar class....

Unlike his disrespectful statement on the death of Bob Hawke.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, more said:

A very gracious speech.  Rightfully stated that the bigger picture is the result of the party

It will probably still be viewed negatively by people who are blinded by their hatred of him

2 minutes ago, AA7 said:

What was disrespectful about it-that he said he had a liberal head and a Labor heart? I think he was spot on. Hawke was able to achieve some significant changes that would be classified right leaning whilst also achieving significant change that was obviously very left.

Why are people on the left side full of hatred that the mere thought that someone can hold left and right thoughts is an outrage...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Bill must be nervous right now 

he is worried about losing his deposit from the removalists. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Prince said:

he is worried about losing his deposit from the removalists. 

Had Sco-Mo even moved in? 

16 minutes ago, more said:

Ironic that he waited till he was no longer a  politician to start being dignified and respectful.

must be using that speech as a job interview 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, more said:

Zali is about to speak, so let's see...

1 minute ago, roxii said:

must be using that speech as a job interview 

Hope like hell it wasn't the US Ambassador or some other plum job

Maybe he can be Prince Philip's chauffeur

Does anyone actually consider Zali left?  Think you would find most people classify her as centrist

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At the very least she is that, of not she'd be more right leaning.  Apart from her climate change stance.  I would figure the same with Phelps?  

31 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Agree.

Conversely, Morrison's response to Hawke's passing was gracious and fitting of his position as PM.

• Like 2

Coalition primary vote is currently 40.5%.  2PP is 50.7

'There's only one poll that counts'

FWIW - I read this thread for amusement. I have ‘no horse’ in either side of politics.