Jump to content
Rocket Salad

The Politics Thread

Recommended Posts

Scomo is my local “member”. He’s obviously not worried. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Prince said:

Pretty easy case for FWA should he pursue it.

Can you go to FWA if you don't lose your job?

If his agreement says "you're expected to work across sites" what would he have to complain about?

(Not saying right or wrong, I read it as someone threw a bit of a wobbly and the company did what was easiest for them)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would imagine he'd have recourse under either the Fair Work Act or the Anti-Discrimination Act

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I would imagine he'd have recourse under either the Fair Work Act or the Anti-Discrimination Act

To do what? To go back and work at the same site, like was offered to him by his employer already, but he knocked back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

To do what? To go back and work at the same site, like was offered to him by his employer already, but he knocked back?

Offered by his employer three weeks later, by which time he had found work elsewhere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found work elsewhere, or still working for the same company, just on a different contract? What claim does he have at the FWC? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've had one lnp self promotion brochure which we get about quarterly anyway, and our local member sent us all postal vote forms, which were return addressed to him.  No calls, no anything else from anyone else.  Safe as houses lnp seat.  Fraser Anning could stand in this seat for the lnp wearing the bloody pelts of some seal pups he'd personally clubbed to death with penguin's and he'd romp it in!  The only thing you could change to make it even more a sure thing would be to substitute cardinal george pell for Anning, and substitute baby koalas for the penguins!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He doesn't have a claim at FWC, as he is a sub, but any other worker would easily win as its constructive  dismissal in any language,  but you can't convince me it wasn't  a low and disgusting act  and it really isn't a stretch to know why he was "stood down".   

He arrived for a shift the next day and found his swipe card didn’t work and was told to go home.His belongings were later packed up and delivered to his home.The man said he didn’t address the media but rather that his conversation was just captured by cameras who were travelling with Mr Shorten. After The Courier-Mail began chasing the story on Friday, Welcon Technologies back flipped and reinstated the man’s employment.But it reports that he intends to find work elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And Shortpantz had another brilliant plan yesterday to tackle gender bias (against women) in the public service. His random thought bubbles remind me of that fella in the Whitehouse. 

“You know when you write a job application … for the first round we’re not going to put someone’s name on the applica­tion … We’re just going to start eliminating what I call to be unconsc­ious bias,” he said. “It’d be great to have a group of people from all sorts of backgrounds.

complete nutter...

Edited by Prince

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What’s nuts about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Rog said:

What’s nuts about?

Rog, on so many levels. Not only is there 59% of women already in the public service,  it is proven it has the opposite effect. But more importantly, it is just not the role of a PM to be involved in such things.

I also saw yesterday he scolded SComo for not saying if he thought gays should go to hell or not. 

I have really tried to like him, considering he will most likely be PM on Saturday but he keeps saying things like this. I can't help think he is more suited as a leader of a local government. 

Edited by Prince
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Prince said:

He doesn't have a claim at FWC, as he is a sub, but any other worker would easily win as its constructive  dismissal in any language,  but you can't convince me it wasn't  a low and disgusting act  and it really isn't a stretch to know why he was "stood down".   

He arrived for a shift the next day and found his swipe card didn’t work and was told to go home.His belongings were later packed up and delivered to his home.The man said he didn’t address the media but rather that his conversation was just captured by cameras who were travelling with Mr Shorten. After The Courier-Mail began chasing the story on Friday, Welcon Technologies back flipped and reinstated the man’s employment.But it reports that he intends to find work elsewhere.

I agree it was a dog act by whoever did it. Did Labor or the unions have a hand in it? Who knows? Maybe? The port boss is an ex-Labor candidate, so maybe he did it off his own bat.

What you do have to remember is that the words you copied above are from Murdoch. I wish there was some unbiased reporting somewhere so you could attempt to get a real picture of what's happening.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 2am conference call between ScoMo, Rupert Murdoch, Alan Jones and Andrew Bolt must have been lively a couple of days ago

ScoMo - 'So we've found a nothing story about a worker in Queensland which might help us'

Evil Rupert - 'Gooood, gooood.  What do you want me to tell my editor to tell his reporter to write?'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I agree it was a dog act by whoever did it. Did Labor or the unions have a hand in it? Who knows? Maybe? The port boss is an ex-Labor candidate, so maybe he did it off his own bat.

What you do have to remember is that the words you copied above are from Murdoch. I wish there was some unbiased reporting somewhere so you could attempt to get a real picture of what's happening.

no, i copied it from facebook. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Prince said:

no, i copied it from facebook. 

Oh sorry. FB copied it from Murdoch. :)

This copied from News.com.au

image.png.5ce587842e607321122daa70f1498715.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Using facts again Ex..... wrong sub forum. Facts are never as strong as assumptions 

Edited by Mike Del

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Good old Rupert

The ultimate get out of debate free card

Haven't actually seen a "debate" on here yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Haven't actually seen a "debate" on here yet.

If Prince says x is true and you say it isn't, you're having a debate 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be careful we don't end up in a situation of having a mass debate......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched the first episode of Lego masters in 9now last night.  Geeze the lib advertising was in full force during it.  And the old site Political advertising that I haven't seen much yet, lots of noise, banging sounds etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes, i think todays the last day for normal media, though they can still advertise on social media. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've had Labor & LNP out manning corflute signs at the intersection going out of Samford every weekend for the past 3 months, but this week it's been every day. It gets on my goat a bit the bylaws they break every day & either just get away with it or are just soaking up the fines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

If Prince says x is true and you say it isn't, you're having a debate 

And chopsticks is a concerto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Prince said:

yes, i think todays the last day for normal media, though they can still advertise on social media. 

Does that mean from tomorrow we will be seeing a whole heap of ads for Palmer resorts?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you see this, flip flop morrison wont rule out death taxes. stand easy peeps, no doubt flip flop morrison, flip flopped at some point.

 

 

Edited by Oompa Loompa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Prince said:

Rog, on so many levels. Not only is there 59% of women already in the public service,  it is proven it has the opposite effect.

Genuine question regarding it having the opposite effect. Proven by studies? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

you see this, flip flop morrison wont rule out death taxes. stand easy peeps, no doubt flip flop morrison, flip flopped at some point.

 

 

Oompa you are a propaganda machine! One can barely keep up with your anti-lib posts. 

That's 4 years ago and referring to Malcolm Trumbull's big thought bubble on tax reform which ScoMo was tasked into looking at options on. It has literally nothing to do with the here and now or this election, but I suspect you know that!

Why don't you write a nice post with analysis on what you think of a good labor policy or a bad coalition one? Better than the constant flow of one line zingers! We get enough of those on TV, radio and internet ads from the parties ;)

 

 

Edited by dazaau
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

you see this, flip flop morrison wont rule out death taxes. stand easy peeps, no doubt flip flop morrison, flip flopped at some point.

 

Why won't Bill rule out capital punishment for anti-Labor commentary?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Why won't Bill rule out capital punishment for anti-Labor commentary?

Perhaps to save half of Trannies from the hassle of blocking you? :oneyed:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A2K said:

Genuine question regarding it having the opposite effect. Proven by studies? 

When I was at Uni,  we had a group do this as one of their projects. They did gender bias as wells as ethnicity bias. I remember in the gender bias,  they used some real resumes for a mock position, but not only removed names, but had to also adjust some position titles in some cases and also any other references to indicate gender. In their case, it made no difference, but their has been a study by  a professor from Harvard who has actually run a trial already in the Aust public service. the findings:

  • The trial found assigning a male name to a candidate made them 3.2 per cent less likely to get a job interview. 
  • Adding a woman's name to a CV made the candidate 2.9 per cent more likely to get a foot in the door. 

As for why, I am not sure in this case, but it could be due to the type of job. 

They are better off ensuring they attract a wider pool of females if they want to increase female numbers. Its just a simple fact that for some reason some jobs attract more males than females and vice versa. Maybe it all stems from initial tertiary education males to female ratios.  The company I work for the females outnumber males by a large degree. 

I also don't believe in quotas. Absolute rubbish in my books, but I do acknowledge there are still a handful of larger industries where bias could exist. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dazaau said:

Oompa you are a propaganda machine! One can barely keep up with your anti-lib posts. 

That's 4 years ago and referring to Malcolm Trumbull's big thought bubble on tax reform which ScoMo was tasked into looking at options on. It has literally nothing to do with the here and now or this election, but I suspect you know that!

Why don't you write a nice post with analysis on what you think of a good labor policy or a bad coalition one? Better than the constant flow of one line zingers! We get enough of those on TV, radio and internet ads from the parties ;)

 

 

yeah, I know. I miss Andrew#1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill Nye has something to say about climate change

NSFW

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dazaau said:

Oompa you are a propaganda machine! One can barely keep up with your anti-lib posts. 

That's 4 years ago and referring to Malcolm Trumbull's big thought bubble on tax reform which ScoMo was tasked into looking at options on. It has literally nothing to do with the here and now or this election, but I suspect you know that!

Why don't you write a nice post with analysis on what you think of a good labor policy or a bad coalition one? Better than the constant flow of one line zingers! We get enough of those on TV, radio and internet ads from the parties ;)

 

 

Dazauu

Why dont write with analysis etc?  I dont care enough, I only started doing this because I was sick of the right wingers smashing the left wingers with crap so thought I dish some up ala rupert, hadley, jones which is normally reserved for the right wingers on the left.  

I actually swap votes between election and this election, really is a choice between dumb and dumber, just that I see sco mo as a lot dumber. I'm not an idealogue, I just look at both candidates and go "fark me" with one and just cry with the libs putting up sco mo.   The libs win the election if they stick with Turnbull or give it to Bishop.  It just baffles me that they put themselves before the party, country etc at the expense of Government and thats not deliberate by the heavy hitters, the power plays are genuine ideologues that cant see beyond their own opinions.   People in leadership positions need to be pragmatic on the facts and you know you dont have that when they punt being in Government for ideology. And sco mo's style is even more predictable than Rudd was with his fork in the road etc who I hammered on here for those that been around long enough.   Sco mo starts with being unable to give an opinion, just total non committal,  then comes out the next day and gives one, then quite often flip flops on that.   

Sad thing is Labor is about to inherit a basketcase of an economy and will pay the price for that over the next three years, so suspect Shorten may do a Hawke and Whitlam and go back to the polls sooner then later.  My vote this year was for our country, I simply can't vote for sco mo and I suspect Shortens policies will affect me personally but they are for the good of the country and I accept that.

Cheers

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Prince said:

When I was at Uni,  we had a group do this as one of their projects. They did gender bias as wells as ethnicity bias. I remember in the gender bias,  they used some real resumes for a mock position, but not only removed names, but had to also adjust some position titles in some cases and also any other references to indicate gender. In their case, it made no difference, but their has been a study by  a professor from Harvard who has actually run a trial already in the Aust public service. the findings:

  • The trial found assigning a male name to a candidate made them 3.2 per cent less likely to get a job interview. 
  • Adding a woman's name to a CV made the candidate 2.9 per cent more likely to get a foot in the door. 

As for why, I am not sure in this case, but it could be due to the type of job. 

They are better off ensuring they attract a wider pool of females if they want to increase female numbers. Its just a simple fact that for some reason some jobs attract more males than females and vice versa. Maybe it all stems from initial tertiary education males to female ratios.  The company I work for the females outnumber males by a large degree. 

I also don't believe in quotas. Absolute rubbish in my books, but I do acknowledge there are still a handful of larger industries where bias could exist. 

Also done for racism, religious freedom etc. It doesn't seem to work from what I have witnessed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

Dazauu

Why dont write with analysis etc?  I dont care enough, I only started doing this because I was sick of the right wingers smashing the left wingers with crap so thought I dish some up ala rupert, hadley, jones which is normally reserved for the right wingers on the left.  

I actually swap votes between election and this election, really is a choice between dumb and dumber, just that I see sco mo as a lot dumber. I'm not an idealogue, I just look at both candidates and go "fark me" with one and just cry with the libs putting up sco mo.   The libs win the election if they stick with Turnbull or give it to Bishop.  It just baffles me that they put themselves before the party, country etc at the expense of Government and thats not deliberate by the heavy hitters, the power plays are genuine ideologues that cant see beyond their own opinions.   People in leadership positions need to be pragmatic on the facts and you know you dont have that when they punt being in Government for ideology. And sco mo's style is even more predictable than Rudd was with his fork in the road etc who I hammered on here for those that been around long enough.   Sco mo starts with being unable to give an opinion, just total non committal,  then comes out the next day and gives one, then quite often flip flops on that.   

Sad thing is Labor is about to inherit a basketcase of an economy and will pay the price for that over the next three years, so suspect Shorten may do a Hawke and Whitlam and go back to the polls sooner then later.  My vote this year was for our country, I simply can't vote for sco mo and I suspect Shortens policies will affect me personally but they are for the good of the country and I accept that.

Cheers

 

Cheers and thanks. 

And I get not being bothered. The pollies are wearing us down. It's been a long 12 years in politics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dazaau said:

That's 4 years ago and referring to Malcolm Trumbull's big thought bubble on tax reform which ScoMo was tasked into looking at options on. It has literally nothing to do with the here and now or this election, but I suspect you know that!

The silly thing is, this is 9 years after Labor last thought about them, yet that didn't stop the Liberals jumping on that one.

 

I'm a bit like Oompa in this. They are both as bad as each other, and I'm sick of the tit for tat mud slinging they are doing, rather than getting on with working out the best way to govern this country.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am pretty sure shortpantz would have lost a fair amount of green preferences after his appearance on the project tonight. You can't be serious about climate change yet be non committed about Adani and support one of the largest coal seam gas projects. Waleed took him to task over this which surprised me. 

As for the Libs winning the election with Turnbull, that's hilarious. Even the Labor stalwarts concede that Scomo has been an excellent campaigner and much more in touch with the working class which Turnbull never was. Turnbull's last 30 news polls in a row with what would have been a 20 seat minimum win to Labor shows how well ScoMo has done to what is now going to be a close election. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why does it surprise you?  

Right wingers have this thing going that the ABC etc etc are all left wing because they keep criticising the right wing govt?  But they are the friggin govt, the ones actually doing things etc.  Of course they're gonna be much more critical of them.  And when Labor is in power they'll be taken to task by the ABC etc then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they would have had a greater chance of winning with MT purely because of the being no change in leader.  I think they still would have lost this election though.  And if Peter Dutton had won then they would have been thumped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta love Pauline some times

Quote

Pauline Hanson has launched a withering attack on Today Show host Deborah Knight, saying she is to blame for the show's poor ratings following the sacking of Karl Stefanovic.

Her spray was prompted by Knight asking her about One Nation's falling support ahead of Saturday's Federal Election. 

'The latest Newspoll, it shows support for One Nation collapsing to four per cent, on par with Clive Palmer's party,' Knight said.

'In light of all the things you've faced, all the scandals, all the things that have been going on, can you really blame people for having their doubts about One Nation and considering Clive over you?'

But the Queensland Senator didn't miss a beat as she hit back at Knight, attacking both the show's ratings and Knight's performance in Stefanovic's position.

'I've actually gone up since the last election, unlike your show, Deb, since you have taken over you have gone down in your viewership,' Ms Hanson said.

'So, should you hand over your job or should we bring Karl back? Should we bring Karl back? '   

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Prince said:

Waleed took him to task over this which surprised me. 

Stop watching News for dumb people. You are better than that.

Edited by Peter
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Peter said:

Stop watching News for dumb people. You are better than that.

...i am probably not.😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I wonder how this will play out in the papers in the next couple of days?

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/australia-reportedly-agreed-to-take-rwandan-accused-murderers-in-us-refugee-deal

I suppose it may not make the front few pages of a lot of them.

Mr Potato Head is so screwed on Saturday...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supposedly ScoMo avoided the multiple questions at his press club address today.

With two days to go, can this be the final nail?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, goughy said:

Supposedly ScoMo avoided the multiple questions at his press club address today.

With two days to go, can this be the final nail?

Funny how earlier in the same address he was having a go a Bill for not doing the right thing and fronting the media and answer the tough questions.

Quote

The Prime Minister opened his National Press Club speech on Thursday with sharp criticism of the Labor leader not fronting the traditional pre-election grilling by the Canberra press gallery.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...