Rocket Salad

The Politics Thread

11 minutes ago, XCOM.! said:

Uranium fueled power stations are basically a dumb idea, that grew out the US-Navy's need for nuclear powered ships and a need for the USA Atomic Energy Commission needing to find a way to justify the staggering cost of ongoing investment in that and in weapons-grade plutonium production. You can throw as much new tech and new design as you like at it, but it remains inherently high-risk and with waste storage requirements that make no sense.

However, an alternative that was championed by Edward Teller, and researched at Oak Ridge to prove the concept, was the Liquid-Fluoride-Thorium-Reactor that was a spin-off from the nuclear-powered bomber program (seriously) and that would actually make sense. Basically, fail-safe in concept, abundant fuel source, minimal waste that has a short half-life, and capable of 'burning' existing uranium waste.

The main hurdle at the moment is material science needing to come up with something that can deal with liquid salts on a 100yr life-cycle rather than the 10-20yrs that current materials provide, as it's not going to be economical until that level of longevity can be met.

The USA is current investing in this research again, after letting is sit idle for decades, and there are now a number of competing groups pushing this along. China is also investing heavily in developing LFTR tech, and so it may be feasible sooner rather than later.

I've been advocating for thorium research for years now, with fission in the meantime 

Surely those issues would have been sorted by now with a proper research program.  But instead we've wasted hundreds of billions of dollars over the last few decades trying to blame bad weather on plant food

20 minutes ago, XCOM.! said:

Uranium fueled power stations are basically a dumb idea, that grew out the US-Navy's need for nuclear powered ships and a need for the USA Atomic Energy Commission needing to find a way to justify the staggering cost of ongoing investment in that and in weapons-grade plutonium production. You can throw as much new tech and new design as you like at it, but it remains inherently high-risk and with waste storage requirements that make no sense.

However, an alternative that was championed by Edward Teller, and researched at Oak Ridge to prove the concept, was the Liquid-Fluoride-Thorium-Reactor that was a spin-off from the nuclear-powered bomber program (seriously) and that would actually make sense. Basically, fail-safe in concept, abundant fuel source, minimal waste that has a short half-life, and capable of 'burning' existing uranium waste.

The main hurdle at the moment is material science needing to come up with something that can deal with liquid salts on a 100yr life-cycle rather than the 10-20yrs that current materials provide, as it's not going to be economical until that level of longevity can be met.

The USA is current investing in this research again, after letting is sit idle for decades, and there are now a number of competing groups pushing this along. China is also investing heavily in developing LFTR tech, and so it may be feasible sooner rather than later.

Interesting post. Thanks.

24 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I've been advocating for thorium research for years now, with fission in the meantime 

Surely those issues would have been sorted by now with a proper research program.  But instead we've wasted hundreds of billions of dollars over the last few decades trying to blame bad weather on plant food

'Thorium' IS fission, it's just using a safer fuel source, and LFTR is removing the opportunity for any type of melt-down.

The problem with lack of research onto LFTR has absolutely nothing to do with Climate-Science or any of those other things you don't like. It has everything to do with the USA's vested military-commercial interests in a Uranium-Plutonium industry that grew out of the Manhattan project and Rickover's nuclear-power program for the US Navy. They shut down the Oak-Ridge project once it proved it was able to work, because they didn't want the competition, and it's stayed like that until China started showing an interest in using the tech and everyone started to realise they were sitting on a gold-mine of tech potential.

• Like 1

I can't believe how well the last few hours have been going on this thread.  RS should be proud!

The Aus Government can't even get a broadband network in properly, when every real expert in Australia, and every other country, is saying fibre is the way to go.

How are we ever going to get a decent energy policy into place.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

The Aus Government can't even get a broadband network in properly, when every real expert in Australia, and every other country, is saying fibre is the way to go.

its strange it hasn't been mentioned by either party in the campaign. I would have thought its an essential service. 

3 minutes ago, Prince said:

its strange it hasn't been mentioned by either party in the campaign. I would have thought its an essential service. 

The LNP just CANNOT bring this up, as it will kill them in too many areas that are receiving the arse end of a dog from the NBN, and Labor is hiding from it, because they know it is too expensive to fix properly now, and will just spend the next few years fixing up well populated and politically sensitive areas until they (or the next government) can sell it off like the last Telecommunications Network they ruined by ****ing around with it.

Gees, I said that in one sentence. I must be passionate about something. :)

6 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

The LNP just CANNOT bring this up, as it will kill them in too many areas that are receiving the arse end of a dog from the NBN, and Labor is hiding from it, because they know it is too expensive to fix properly now, and will just spend the next few years fixing up well populated and politically sensitive areas until they (or the next government) can sell it off like the last Telecommunications Network they ruined by ****ing around with it.

Gees, I said that in one sentence. I must be passionate about something. :)

labor should own it as they started it but didn't deliver. 

32 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Um...because climate change is the biggest threat to mankind in forever and we're all going to die in a few decades if we don't.  LOL.  You think compared to that the statistically insignificant risk of nuclear would be attractive wouldn't you and yet the biggest climate zealots are also the biggest anti-nuclear folk.

19 minutes ago, Prince said:

Well the Libs would get slammed on ballsing it up and the ALP might just have it pointed out that 5G will likely make FTP all but obsolete shortly.

5 minutes ago, Stikman said:

5G will likely make FTP all but obsolete shortly.

Yeah - Dream on.

4 minutes ago, Prince said:

labor should own it as they started it but didn't deliver. 

They started it (though not very well), but only had a year and a half before the "inventor of the Internet" came in with Abbott & tore it down, saying that their new model would be completed by 2016, and cost under $30B.

I think we've just passed $50B now & we are still at least a year (probably 3) away from completion.

1 minute ago, Stikman said:

Well the Libs would get slammed on ballsing it up and the ALP might just have it pointed out that 5G will likely make FTP all but obsolete shortly.

Only by people that don't know the technology (such as Peter D at the "meet the candidates night I went to). 5G relies on small cells, and at least for the next 5 to 10 years won't go out past high density housing & commercial areas. The major Telcos are estimating it will only cover about 5% of the population

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

They started it (though not very well), but only had a year and a half before the "inventor of the Internet" came in with Abbott & tore it down, saying that their new model would be completed by 2016, and cost under $30B.

I think we've just passed $50B now & we are still at least a year (probably 3) away from completion.

Only by people that don't know the technology (such as Peter D at the "meet the candidates night I went to). 5G relies on small cells, and at least for the next 5 to 10 years won't go out past high density housing & commercial areas. The major Telcos are estimating it will only cover about 5% of the population

shh can't be messing with the transitions experts on everything, telco, nuclear power, climate science, national security, information security, intelligence, coal, power. 

The list is endless

2 hours ago, goughy said:

I can't believe how well the last few hours have been going on this thread.  RS should be proud!

It’s like we are one big nuclear family :lol: 

• Haha 1

It may come as a surprise to some that I don't like shortpantz, however I thought it was pretty disrespectful of those two workers not to shake hands with him today at a Qld worksite. I noticed Penny Wong also refused to shake Birminghams hand the other day at the end of a debate. No excuse for poor manners no matter what side you are on. 

• Like 1

I was assuming something happened during the Wong debate; it sounded like it got a bit personal or dirty.  The pm was egged (nearly), a no hand shake is nothing!

3 minutes ago, goughy said:

I was assuming something happened during the Wong debate; it sounded like it got a bit personal or dirty. 

Even if the debate was a total sledgefest, you shake hands and move on.

Don’t give anyone the opportunity to run a 5 second clip of you snubbing a man offering a handshake on repeat for the next 10 days or whatever it was at the time. 

Just a dumb political move, never mind the manners of it. 

• Like 4

Yes, I totally agree with you.

Birmingham suggesting that Keating's comments indicated a pro-china bias by Labor - for which Wong is the likely foreign affairs candidate  - was no doubt taken by her as in insult and questioning of her integrity... I wonder why she would be pissed off?

• Like 1

I find it interesting to see people who have “done all right” in certain occupations mainly due to their strong union presence in that sector becoming born again liberals now that they have moved on from their previous occupation.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 9:27 PM, Oompa Loompa said:

With the election over and Shorten home, and stable Government returning to Australia with the turnstile economy destroying Liberals punted from office by the Australian people next Saturday, should we close the thread and come back in three years? 

Nah, to many laughs to be had I reckon...lol

Definitely not...... this thread will soon be filled with heaps of 'I told you so'...starting in about 12 months!!!

Will we see a "Transitions" party at the next election. It's clear we have all the answers. We will no doubt handle all of Australia's problems first and then if we get time we will make any "Active Fee" for triathlon races illegal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Will we see a "Transitions" party at the next election. It's clear we have all the answers. We will no doubt handle all of Australia's problems first and then if we get time we will make any "Active Fee" for triathlon races illegal.

Or, we could introduce an Active Fee for voting, and go partway to solving the deficit.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Definitely not...... this thread will soon be filled with heaps of 'I told you so'...starting in about 12 months!!!

Doesn't matter who wins, that would be the case!

• Like 1

Just reading a story about Dave Sharma's campaign posters in Wentworth.  Gone is the blue background of Liberal posters, and it doesn't include the Liberal logo on them anywhere.  Just says in big writing, "Dave Sharma", then under that in little writing "a modern liberal", his picture and finishes with "for Wentworth".  No tag lines, no catch phrases like last time.

9 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

We don't need a party - just give me immunity to take out 100 a day, and I could make a good start on sorting the place out...

On 08/05/2019 at 2:32 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I just voted.

My god there are some shockers standing. Try as I might, I couldn't put Potato Head any worse than 4th out of the 8 standing in Dickson. And it was REALLY hard to find 6 boxes to select above the line in the Senate.

I've just been looking through the senate paper, and looking at this link for ideas

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/may/10/australian-election-2019-full-list-of-micro-parties-standing-in-the-senate

Then just realised if I go 12 below the line, I don't have to select more than two parties, instead of the 6.  I'll even throw an extra couple in the mix, giving one to Hetty Johnston and the dude from the mental health party.  But really, below the line makes my life actually much easier!

And also this link

https://www.clueyvoter.com/

Between the guardian article, cluey voter, and a tiny bit of research on one independent, I've just filled out my 17 under the line on my senate paper.

19 minutes ago, goughy said:

And also this link

https://www.clueyvoter.com/

Between the guardian article, cluey voter, and a tiny bit of research on one independent, I've just filled out my 17 under the line on my senate paper.

LOL... I told you that about 4 pages back.

I'm sorry xcom, I must have missed it!

struggling with the moral compass of the liberal party.  i know this is satire but its based on fact and i just dont understand how howard could support a convicted kiddie fiddler.  i know he put hollingsworth into the governor general job who then got embroiled in the kiddie fiddler stuff.... but twice, how do you keep getting linked to kiddie fiddlers and their supporters as an ex PM.  

http://www.theshovel.com.au/2019/02/27/howard-i-only-give-character-references-to-respectable-paedophiles/

2 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

struggling with the moral compass of the liberal party.  i know this is satire but its based on fact and i just dont understand how howard could support a convicted kiddie fiddler.  i know he put hollingsworth into the governor general job who then got embroiled in the kiddie fiddler stuff.... but twice, how do you keep getting linked to kiddie fiddlers and their supporters as an ex PM.  

http://www.theshovel.com.au/2019/02/27/howard-i-only-give-character-references-to-respectable-paedophiles/

Did you realise every resident in our electorate got a letter in the mail from John Howard giving a glowing character reference to Peter Dutton.

hmmmmm.

11 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

i wonder how

Seems some folk in Victoria get interesting candidates. 

He's often known as Ratdog. Any relation?

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Seems some folk in Victoria get interesting candidates. 

He's often known as Ratdog. Any relation?

Completely insane, but at least he has a sense of humour 

So I'd probably preference him above the Greens

16 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

struggling with the moral compass of the liberal party.

not sure if these are the views of the liberal party,. a bit of a leap don't you think. 

14 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Did you realise every resident in our electorate got a letter in the mail from John Howard giving a glowing character reference to Peter Dutton.

hmmmmm.

not a good post.  I would delete 

47 minutes ago, Prince said:

not a good post.  I would delete 

The comparisons are all over twitter, FB and even a few of the mainstream media are comparing it. Not much point deleting it from here.

4 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

The comparisons are all over twitter, FB and even a few of the mainstream media are comparing it. Not much point deleting it from here.

yep, go with that. 

Lack lustre campaign launch from sco mo, announced nothing, whinged abbott bill s.  Amazed Abbott didnt bother to go as an ex PM.....   Audience looked bored senseless.

Stunned at sco mo's welfare for a couple earning up to $200k to buy a house.  I can remember when the liberal party stood for hard work not welfare for people on $200k. 

How bad is this, Sco Mo doesn't have any economic detail of his own policies....  ffs, no Turnbull, No Bishop, No Abbott at his campaign launch, either lost or have abandoned the capsized ship..great united team.  Mind you, you couldn't sit through listening to sco mo announce welfare for people getting $200k a year.

1 hour ago, Oompa Loompa said:

Lack lustre campaign launch from sco mo, announced nothing, whinged abbott bill s.  Amazed Abbott didnt bother to go as an ex PM.....   Audience looked bored senseless.

Stunned at sco mo's welfare for a couple earning up to $200k to buy a house.  I can remember when the liberal party stood for hard work not welfare for people on $200k. 

far better policy for first home owners than stuffing up the housing and rental market through labors negative gearing policy. 

1 hour ago, Oompa Loompa said:

How bad is this, Sco Mo doesn't have any economic detail of his own policies....  ffs, no Turnbull, No Bishop, No Abbott at his campaign launch, either lost or have abandoned the capsized ship..great united team.  Mind you, you couldn't sit through listening to sco mo announce welfare for people getting $200k a year.

He had a budget released before the campaign.  All was costed and detailed.   

Do you really think Labor is united? I don't think anyone fell for the love fest with Rudd and Gillard being wheeled out at their launch. Kinda reminded everyone of how no one likes them, and Keating embarrassed himself.😂

15 minutes ago, Prince said:

far better policy for first home owners than stuffing up the housing and rental market through labors negative gearing policy. 

He had a budget released before the campaign.  All was costed and detailed.   

Do you really think Labor is united? I don't think anyone fell for the love fest with Rudd and Gillard being wheeled out at their launch. Kinda reminded everyone of how no one likes them, and Keating embarrassed himself.😂

https://www.abc.net.au/news/story-streams/federal-budget-2017/2017-05-16/federal-budget-2017-heavyweights-tell-government-to-lift-taxes/8531646

The point which you missed in your rush to be a clever dick, is that between instant experts in everything, Iron Jim and yourself.

is that real people who know about finance say you are wrong and so are most pollies and not much has changed since 2017

5 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

The point which you missed in your rush to be a clever dick, is that between instant experts in everything, Iron Jim and yourself.

is that real people who know about finance say you are wrong and so are most pollies and not much has changed since 2017

ouch, personal attack. did you enjoy that?