Jump to content
Rocket Salad

The Politics Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

Your right hand column.... we are poles apart!

You have Hanson at the top?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Twitter buddy posted his. He is above and to the left of the Greens. 

Yeah, you read that right 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leynhelm, after claiming victory, apparently has now missed out on the NSW election!  Great result.  Hope the door hits him on the way out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, goughy said:

Leynhelm, after claiming victory, apparently has now missed out on the NSW election!  Great result.  Hope the door hits him on the way out!

If he does miss it, chances are NSW will get another chance to give him a message as he'll probably have a tilt at a Federal Senate seat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

If he does miss it, chances are NSW will get another chance to give him a message as he'll probably have a tilt at a Federal Senate seat.

He has missed out. One Nation, Animal Justice Party and Labour picked up the last 3 seats. I'm wondering if Leynhelm would have been a better option?

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/one-nation-wins-two-upper-house-seats-in-the-nsw-parliament-20190415-p51e7i.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The liberal democrats haven't one a seat in the upper house, so that's it for him in the state.  I'd say he would have a tilt at it nationally again, but I thought he went for the state election because he most likely wouldn't make it federally again.  He knows he got his seat through a fluke of voters not being observant enough, and will that happen for him again?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Leynhelm only got his start in the Senate because he was lucky enough to draw one of the 1st boxes on the ballot paper and a large number of coalition voters who were too dumb to tell the difference between Liberal Democrat Party and Liberal Party of Australia mistakenly gave him their vote.

Edited by Mike Del

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

la la la free speech

la la la because I quote from the bible its okay to spew hate, but bad if its from mein Kampf

Debt has doubled

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also hate this parliamentary privilege thing, I can say whatever I want, true or not!  It's bullshit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, goughy said:

I also hate this parliamentary privilege thing, I can say whatever I want, true or not!  It's bullshit.

There should be some remedy to people blatantly lying in public to gain advantage and an investigation into the influence pedalled by sky et al and the ABC and guardian.

When people tell blatant lies and use influence in the media to advance deception to gain advantage, material and other then that sounds a lot like fraud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

la la la free speech

la la la because I quote from the bible its okay to spew hate, but bad if its from mein Kampf

Anyone who wants to ban people from quoting either book is a fascist 

And yes Barry, I also think you should be able to quote from the communist manifesto if you wish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

who is paying for blood tests Bill? I have never had to pay for one in my life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't pay for Medicare "approved" tests.  But since there seem to be some cancer treatments that aren't covered under Medicare, there may be some testing associated with these treatments that aren't covered???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, goughy said:

You don't pay for Medicare "approved" tests.  But since there seem to be some cancer treatments that aren't covered under Medicare, there may be some testing associated with these treatments that aren't covered???

Given that the subject is Medicare related, I'm sure you can understand Prince's reluctance to take Bill's word for it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we want to take the word of any politician about anything they say over the next 5 weeks?  Or ever?  Everything they say is at best bent truth!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, goughy said:

Do we want to take the word of any politician about anything they say over the next 5 weeks?  Or ever?  Everything they say is at best bent truth!

 

Conservative politician is accused of lying - "Boooooo..."

Leftist politician is accused of lying - "Well, they all do it..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Given that the subject is Medicare related, I'm sure you can understand Prince's reluctance to take Bill's word for it 

yes.    They are running adverts of people saying they can't afford to go to the doctor.  Go to a bulk billing doctor you lazy bastards. There are plenty around.     

I guess this scare campaign worked in the past but I think it may backfire this time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Conservative politician is accused of lying - "Boooooo..."

Leftist politician is accused of lying - "Well, they all do it..."

Nope, if I think they're lying I'll call them on it.  Don't care who.  But for the last 6 years the lnp have been making the decisions.  When the alp are next in (seems BS was doing his best yesterday to stuff that), they'll get their turn.  Just because I'm more lefty doesn't mean I like them more!  Usually it means I just hate them less.

I was just saying to my wife, when they get caught out, it's all back tracking and someone else's fault etc etc.  But wouldn't we have more respect for someone who ****s up, and admits it rather than looking for excuses?  I mean, everyone ****s up some time or other?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Prince said:

Go to a bulk billing doctor you lazy bastards. There are plenty around.     

Great idea. The bulk billing clinic near here can fit me in next Tuesday. I hope I don't get worse between now & then.

 

I made that up, but do know people who it has happened to because there are limited bulk billing sites near them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prince said:

yes.    They are running adverts of people saying they can't afford to go to the doctor.  Go to a bulk billing doctor you lazy bastards. There are plenty around.     

I guess this scare campaign worked in the past but I think it may backfire this time.  

Not many in Canberra.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Anyone who wants to ban people from quoting either book is a fascist 

And yes Barry, I also think you should be able to quote from the communist manifesto if you wish

It is more than quoting it is putting forward hate and encouraging hate. 

Edited by BarryBevan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

It is more than quoting it is putting forward hate and encouraging hate. 

So who gets to decide what is free speech and what is hate speech then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

So who gets to decide what is free speech and what is hate speech then?

You don’t have right to free speech. Think the government made some laws about the naughty stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

You don’t have right to free speech. Think the government made some laws about the naughty stuff

The government correctly has laws against defamation and incitement to violence 

That's where it should end

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

The government correctly has laws against defamation and incitement to violence 

That's where it should end

It's where it SHOULD end but if we follow Canada's lead and Labor wins we can expect the government to dictate to us how to address transgender people. By law. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, A2K said:

It's where it SHOULD end but if we follow Canada's lead and Labor wins we can expect the government to dictate to us how to address transgender people. By law. 

Or we may end up like the U.S, where quoting a leftist is now seen to be inciting violence against them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rog said:

Matt Kean’s “opinion” piece on Tony Abbott makes me chuckle.

Matt Kean is the member for my area - ugh!. One of those young-liberals to parliament with bugger-all in between - although he makes a big deal of having worked at PricewaterhouseCoopers while studying for his accounting diploma.  The useless prick does nothing for the area but the safe conservative seat sees him get re-elected by dumb-arse voters without doing shit for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Great idea. The bulk billing clinic near here can fit me in next Tuesday. I hope I don't get worse between now & then.

 

I made that up, but do know people who it has happened to because there are limited bulk billing sites near them.

People need to understand that they need to plan their sickness in advance. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rog said:

Matt Kean’s “opinion” piece on Tony Abbott makes me chuckle. That must’ve been a hard 2000 word essay to write!

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/why-warringah-voters-should-stick-with-tony-abbott-20190416-p51en1.html

I hope he didn’t read any of the comments 🤦‍♂️

Can't wait to see the result of this seat. Go Tony!.

Edited by IronmanFoz
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Can't wait to see the result of this seat. Go Tony!.

The House of Reps already has a hate-filled leftist blonde.  They don't need another one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

The House of Reps already has a hate-filled leftist blonde.  They don't need another one

But Michaelia isn't Leftist, and she's in the Senate?

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

The House of Reps already has a hate-filled leftist blonde.  They don't need another one

You come across as a very angry person. Are you ok

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

But Michaelia isn't Leftist, and she's in the Senate?

 Which would suggest that I am quite obviously not referring to Michaelia...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

You come across as a very angry person. Are you ok

I'm very okay, and not at all angry 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, trilobite said:

Easy to read summary of the Australian position on freedom of expression here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech_by_country#Australia

The yanks obviously take freedom far more seriously than we do 

No wonder the left hates the joint so much 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

The yanks obviously take freedom far more seriously than we do 

No wonder the left hates the joint so much 

And you may have heard that they have a constitutional right to bear arms...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, trilobite said:

And you may have heard that they have a constitutional right to bear arms...

image.png.fe9defeef8ca2c781175d07b801fbea5.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Or we may end up like the U.S, where quoting a leftist is now seen to be inciting violence against them

Haha yes. That woman Ilhan Omar can say the most outrageous things then when she gets called out on it plays the victim (remind you of anyone?) If/when the Democrats lose to Trump again next year they'll only have themselves to blame. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

The campaign has more go in it here than the real one

And the real one had better pick its act up quickly, and not wait till the last week to start announcing the big ticket items. At the last Federal election 31% of votes were cast early, and they are expecting an even higher number this year. I know I'll be voting in the first week of May.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Real campaign question:

As a working parent most if not all of the second salary is exhausted paying salaries of before, after school care, teachers. Also paying for health care. In Canberra there are few bulk billing doctors and you would need to book a month in advance to get in to one.

In addition I contribute to community sporting organisations and 

2 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

And the real one had better pick its act up quickly, and not wait till the last week to start announcing the big ticket items. At the last Federal election 31% of votes were cast early, and they are expecting an even higher number this year. I know I'll be voting in the first week of May.

But the election sausage sandwich?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

But the election sausage sandwich?

If I do it on the Friday, I can substitute the sausage with a couple party pies & sausage rolls from the blood bank. ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, trilobite said:

And you may have heard that they have a constitutional right to bear arms...

And if you agree it means you don't care about schoolkids, or some such...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, A2K said:

Haha yes. That woman Ilhan Omar can say the most outrageous things then when she gets called out on it plays the victim (remind you of anyone?) If/when the Democrats lose to Trump again next year they'll only have themselves to blame. 

I note with amusement in this age of intersectionality that the two clear frontrunners for the 2020 Democratic nomination are white men

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or is it unenroll?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, roxii said:

Can you unrol to vote?  :eek:

 

Are you asking for information or action?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...