Rocket Salad

The Politics Thread

4 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

He's talking about when it finally works.

Ours works great....although my boss has just gone rogue, left his wife, moved out to a BumbleFark Missouri village humpy to set up a Tinder brothel, and tells me his wireless internet out there is 3x faster than NBN here in town 😲

• Confused 1

One day I'll get wireless, the guy 4 doors down will be satellite, and another 4 doors down will be FTTN.

But of course the guys 4 doors down is currently being told he'll get wireless. He has no LoS to the tower, so won't be able to get wireless, but of course won't be eligible for the satellite till next year when the tower I am going to use (with 600 others) is RFS.

Interesting choice of venue by Bill yesterday, visiting a supermarket warehouse to spruik his proposed minimum wage increase to people who aren't on the minimum wage...

42 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Interesting choice of venue by Bill yesterday, visiting a supermarket warehouse to spruik his proposed minimum wage increase to people who aren't on the minimum wage...

Warehouse workers. Every chance they could have kids on minimum wage.

Just now, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Warehouse workers. Every chance they could have kids on minimum wage.

Which is why they should be concerned about the impact of a big rise on the smallest businesses in the economy which would suffer as a result

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Which is why they should be concerned about the impact of a big rise on the smallest businesses in the economy which would suffer as a result

Like multinational hospitality & retail outlets.

1 minute ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Like multinational hospitality & retail outlets.

No, employees of those businesses (such as the people Bill visited yesterday) are generally covered by enterprise bargaining agreements

My daughter never got to vote on an EA at Hungry Jacks?

Yes they pay above minimum wage (by less than 50c an hour) but an increase in minimum wage will flow on to those large companies that pay x% above minimum wage.

the Unions are backing Buffalo Bill and want a 6% increase in the minimum wage. Holy smokes batman. Here come da recession....

imagine if 20 % of the population got 6 % more wages, oh god that would dampen aggregate demand and cause a recession. Better to give 0.5 % huge tax breaks so they can buy more ferraris.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

imagine if 20 % of the population got 6 % more wages, oh god that would dampen aggregate demand and cause a recession. Better to give 0.5 % huge tax breaks so they can buy more ferraris.

true, even though we are talking about the mimumim wage, there is usually a cascading effect on the rest of the wages in an organisation and possibly an industry, especially if it is 6%.   I am all for a moderate increase though.   We have just completed our reviews and i sit down with the director to decide on increases of 2%, 4% and 6% taking into account the benchmarking i do as well as on performance.   I do tell my director though, he does not have to increase wages each year and anyone getting above cpi which is 1.9% in Qld should be pretty thankful. 

And the retail sector want 1.1% increase, which is about half of inflation, for the poorest sector of the community. That on top of losing their penalty rates bodes well for them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

And the retail sector want 1.1% increase, which is about half of inflation, for the poorest sector of the community. That on top of losing their penalty rates bodes well for them.

true, but i do know retail are very much struggling. We manage a few shopping centres and see almost a closure every couple of months or so at the moment, though we do what we can to assist them through lease incentives.We also have heaps of them trying to close their doors early particularly on thursday nights and sundays, and we have to breach them for this. 

The majors are still doing well though.    Hopefully penalty rates for sundays are reinstated though. 

22 minutes ago, Prince said:

true, but i do know retail are very much struggling. We manage a few shopping centres and see almost a closure every couple of months or so at the moment, though we do what we can to assist them through lease incentives.We also have heaps of them trying to close their doors early particularly on thursday nights and sundays, and we have to breach them for this. 

The majors are still doing well though.    Hopefully penalty rates for sundays are reinstated though. 

Isn't this though part of the cycle, retailers are struggling as we are told that people don't have any spare cash to spend in those shops. 

So giving the lowest paid an increase should surely be beneficial for small business. 

10 minutes ago, roxii said:

Isn't this though part of the cycle, retailers are struggling as we are told that people don't have any spare cash to spend in those shops. 

So giving the lowest paid an increase should surely be beneficial for small business. 

You'd think, so but nup, some of the stupifyingly stupid who I hope live in the eastern burbs and earn millions are worried about how its going to impact Amazon

24 minutes ago, roxii said:

yes, It is cyclical. There is evidence to suggest that retailers are struggling as people know there is an election coming and won't spend. 

Depends what you believe.  I don't know why wages in general are not growing even when it has been some decent economic growth in the past, possibly due to the downturn in mining industry having a flow on effect.  I hate to say it but we may need to adopt some of Trumps trade tariff policies to encourage new industries to start and to grow. 

6 hours ago, Prince said:

the Unions are backing Buffalo Bill and want a 6% increase in the minimum wage. Holy smokes batman. Here come da recession....

That's cheap compared to what we have on the table in our negotiations at the moment.  We have one union wanting their members to go from 2 bands of wages to 4 bands but are happy with the proposed 2% increase.  Just so happens all of the members will then also go from band 2 right to band 4 under their proposed model, and get the proposed increase and holy batman we have an instant 26% increase in wages for that sector.  Stuff the recession, here comes the outsourcing for an area already not commercially viable

Mind you this is the worse of the 4 unions we are dealing with, 2 of the others are reasonable to deal with and the other one despite 3 months of notice hasn't been able to lodge a log of claims - which is pissing off every one of their members which is embarrassing when they have the largest portion of workers being covered - too busy meeting with members about  'national campaigns' ( ie refugee supporting actions and upcoming internal elections for union officials) to actually take half an hour to listen to their members

Is it unethical for me to be handing out membership forms for my Association of Paper Shufflers and Staple Removers during all of this? 😈

How do we feel about our kids being moved from casual to Permanent Part Time in workplaces such as aldi, Rebel and Woolworths. These are 17 year old kids and working casual jobs while at school and Uni, casual in any sense of the word being forced into reclassifying as PPT with set hours and no ability to roster off for exams, holidays etc. None of them are union members. If you don;t go PPT funnily enough the hours you previously worked as a casual dry up and disappear.

17 hours ago, Prince said:

Commonly hear stories of established businesses in shopping centres closing as their lease expires and they can;t afford the landlord's increases in rent. Our local subway is the latest. Could be to do with the joke that is the franchise model and the costs that imposes as well.

56 minutes ago, Parkside said:

How do we feel about our kids being moved from casual to Permanent Part Time in workplaces such as aldi, Rebel and Woolworths. These are 17 year old kids and working casual jobs while at school and Uni, casual in any sense of the word being forced into reclassifying as PPT with set hours and no ability to roster off for exams, holidays etc. None of them are union members. If you don;t go PPT funnily enough the hours you previously worked as a casual dry up and disappear.

Parkside, many businesses are doing this in regards to a Fairwork decision which specifically set out that casual employees have to be offered permament part time hours after 12 months.  Beyond this there is a danger the employee can take action to retain their casual loading, but also be backdated with sick leave, public holiday pay, annual leave etc.  Granted employers could handle it better with appropriate conversations, planning  and paperwork, but it's having the same effect as when Fairwork said the minimum hours had to rise from a 2 hour shift to 3 hours - the stores could no longer give the school kids a 2 hour shift after school.  The laws are designed to protect adult workers (as they should), but fail to take into account the impact on the younger workers still at school trying to get experience

2 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

Parkside, many businesses are doing this in regards to a Fairwork decision which specifically set out that casual employees have to be offered permament part time hours after 12 months.  Beyond this there is a danger the employee can take action to retain their casual loading, but also be backdated with sick leave, public holiday pay, annual leave etc.  Granted employers could handle it better with appropriate conversations, planning  and paperwork, but it's having the same effect as when Fairwork said the minimum hours had to rise from a 2 hour shift to 3 hours - the stores could no longer give the school kids a 2 hour shift after school.  The laws are designed to protect adult workers (as they should), but fail to take into account the impact on the younger workers still at school trying to get experience

I thought casuals could request to go PPT and employer couldn’t refuse a reasonable request. Didn’t know it was compulsory

7 minutes ago, Parkside said:

I thought casuals could request to go PPT and employer couldn’t refuse a reasonable request. Didn’t know it was compulsory

I can only speak for our work place but I assume the laws are the same Australia wide.

After 12 weeks of working the same hours a casual is considered to be PPT and the employer is meant to enable this. Every single employee we have offered has rejected it as they didn't want to lose the casual loading. We had to negotiate an enterprise agreement to allow them to continue as casuals.

The case involved a worker who was there for almost 2 years with a company, and the work dried up and was let go.  Fairwork ruled he was entitled after 12 months to be considered permanent and therefore should get everything else etc, which clearly swung the compulsion onto the employer to ask before that point in time.  The employer can choose not to, however if the employee brings any action on this precedent the employer is screwed

Google Workpac Pty Ltd V Skene for further details if you want to get into the nitty gritty

• Like 1

21 hours ago, roxii said:

I'll probably be hammered for saying this but I think the lowest paid workers are less likely to spend in small businesses and far more likely to:

a) pay bills

b) 'spend' it at the local club

I've always favoured tax cuts over wage increases. Wage increases will inevitably lead to price increases because businesses/shareholders will demand increased prices to offset the additional wage bill.

And interesting porky I just saw re the NBN, and the "extra $30B and 6 to 8 years" that NBN would take under labor's plan. Where those figures actually came from were NBN costings of starting Labor's FTTP, moving on to the Mixed Technology Model, then reverting back to FTTP. They were never meant to be taken that the Labor model would cost $30B more and take longer than the Coalition model.

Strange that Mitch Fifield never mentions that when he rolls out that statement.

5 hours ago, Parkside said:

it is simply smart business sense to convert casual employment to ppt if the hours are consistently high and constant. In the hotel industry I changed about 15 casuals to ppt.It was a restructure.  if they didn't want to change, bad luck. it was adios. 

The thing is heaps of businesses work casuals when they should be part time and some part timers as casuals. part time hours should be consistent and with a consistent roster and casuals hours should generally vary from week to week. It is essentially a breach if this is not occurring. 

Edited by Prince

1 hour ago, Prince said:

it is simply smart business sense to convert casual employment to ppt if the hours are consistently high and constant. In the hotel industry I changed about 15 casuals to ppt.It was a restructure.  if they didn't want to change, bad luck. it was adios. 

The thing is heaps of businesses work casuals when they should be part time and some part timers as casuals. part time hours should be consistent and with a consistent roster and casuals hours should generally vary from week to week. It is essentially a breach if this is not occurring. 

Do school kids or Uni students  need personal leave, holiday pay, sick leave? That’s a bullshit cop out swapping them to PPT. They want heaps of work in holidays and time off for exams. It’s a blatant attempt to pay less than entitled by inaccurate classification of their basis of employment. Complain or refuse and you are constructively dismissed. 

30 minutes ago, Parkside said:

Do school kids or Uni students  need personal leave, holiday pay, sick leave? That’s a bullshit cop out swapping them to PPT. They want heaps of work in holidays and time off for exams. It’s a blatant attempt to pay less than entitled by inaccurate classification of their basis of employment. Complain or refuse and you are constructively dismissed. 

I agree in part, but why should a business pay loading if they would actually prefer to have staff there the same time each day, regularly.

If it really was a case of "we are busy, you can work today, and we won't be busy, so don't work next Tuesday", then that's casual. If it's "I want you in every Monday, Wed & Fri, from 4 till 7, for the next 12 months, then that's PPT. 

It's the same as companies that claim they employ contractors to deal with peak loads, yet the same contractors have been there for the past 5 years, and when work starts turning down, they lay off permanent staff, and keep contractors. 

1 hour ago, Parkside said:

no, their classification should be casual. casuals are for the busy times when more staff are needed. So, they will always need some casuals .you're not meant to keep changing the hours for part time, nor the roster. don't forget, if they feel they have been constructively dismissed, they may have claim to an unfair dismissal.   

Edited by Prince

52 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

It's the same as companies that claim they employ contractors to deal with peak loads, yet the same contractors have been there for the past 5 years, and when work starts turning down, they lay off permanent staff, and keep contractors. 

sounds like an unfair dismissal to me if they are laying off permanent staff for a contractor, even in the case of a redundancy. 

In the UK we have a vilification of the "Zero hours contract". As an owner of marquee company there is no way we could move to a guaranteed hours model... you do 80% of your turnover in three months of the year and some weekends we had 40 folk in the field and others 4. The problem is that large companies take advantage of staff and it ends up screwing over the smaller folk.

On 16/03/2019 at 7:29 PM, IronmanFoz said:

For the above 10 comments, which political party is trying to do what?

Labor wish to increase the minimum wage for starters. 

On 16/03/2019 at 5:11 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

On 16/03/2019 at 6:07 PM, Prince said:

sounds like an unfair dismissal to me if they are laying off permanent staff for a contractor, even in the case of a redundancy. 

Tell that to a well known Queensland Bank who did exactly this last year.  Due to contractual obligations, they couldn't reduce the contract workforce so it was the permanents that got the chop when the operational budgets were slashed.  

And just to rub the salt into the wound, my understanding is at least one manager who wielded the axe was promoted shortly after.

AJ

• Sad 1

Well unless the manager was responsible for the bank signing up to the contract I'm not sure how they bear any responsibility for the actions forced by it. 

Andrew #1, any truth to the rumour after Michael Daley's day, there has been a steady stream of labor insiders coming into the cell to check the gag on Billy boy?

• Haha 1

Getting away from the other thread....

We finally got to see the ScoMo Waleed interview.

Firstly, very impressed that ScoMo did that.  I don't think either won that.  ScoMo did the usually Pollie dodges at times which any Pollie would have done.  They both spoke over each other and tried to take control of discussions.  I think it was the right idea to give ScoMo the first words.  I think some of the comments about ScoMo's posture were a bit silly, considering they were sitting in low seat arm chairs, that while looking a bit formal actually had you sitting more in a lounging position.  Quite frankly I don't think that hurt him at all; neither of them really.  And it was clearly arranged last minute.

I do think Barry Cassidy made an apt point this morning though, regarding the numbers of "rapists and murderers", considering its something that has been very specifically mentioned over the past weeks/months.

14 hours ago, goughy said:

I think some of the comments about ScoMo's posture were a bit silly, considering they were sitting in low seat arm chairs, that while looking a bit formal actually had you sitting more in a lounging position.

If that's all they could find to bitch about, ScoMo must have done pretty well

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

It was only Waleed. 

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Oh, us lefty commie bastards had plenty to complain about.  I was purely commenting on that one aspect that was getting it's own stories..  But I actually think it was pretty good really.  And not that often will someone get 30mins unedited and live with him.   

51 minutes ago, goughy said:

Oh, us lefty commie bastards had plenty to complain about.  

Anything relevant though?

53 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Jim if you are happy to share, what do you do for a living?

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Yep.

Congratulations to Gladys, becoming New South Wales' first elected female Premier, and protecting our great state from the socialist criminals for another four years

17 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Which one of you drongos voted for Latham?

Not me

It's an ongoing source of amusement to me though, that the same people who were singing Latham's praises in 2004 have now dropped him like a sack of shit

7 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

It's an ongoing source of amusement to me though, that the same people who were singing Latham's praises in 2004 have now dropped him like a sack of shit

It's a lot like sport and Seinfield's theory that we are all just cheering for the shirts at the end of the day.  While someone is under the banner or libs, labs, nats or greens etc, certain people will defend them until their last body.  The day they get traded to another "team" the same people turn on them

Some of us never cheered for Latham, not that I cared much for politics then.