Rocket Salad

The Politics Thread

Lets forget about Asylum seekers and offshore processing for a moment and lets discuss the farmers of Australia and the current issue they have up in Queensland due to the natural disaster. But first:

Border protection:

Figures provided to the treasury Senate estimates committee, first reported by the Australian Financial Review, reveal that in 2016-17 the government spent a total of $4.06bn on border protection.

Foreign Aid:

TOTAL AUSTRALIAN OFFICIAL DEVELOPMENT ASSISTANCE $4.2 BILLION

https://dfat.gov.au/about-us/corporate/portfolio-budget-statements/Pages/2018-19-australian-aid-budget-at-a-glance.aspx

Now...............

Our farmers.................The government are giving various region centres approx. $1M each +25K grants to in need individuals etc and I think I heard Queensland government are kicking in another 200K.

Does anyone else think we have a serious issue of inequality and our priorities are totally misguided.

How about we start looking after our own first and then the rest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe the Paladin Group can send them some of their 423mill from their offices at the shack on kangaroo island?  I'm sure Karen Dutton could make that happen?

They absolutely need to take care of things at home!  It's not one or the other.  They need to be doing both.  Properly.

10 minutes ago, goughy said:

I'm sure Karen Dutton could make that happen?

Interesting that her linkedin profile disappeared overnight. Could be some interesting discussions today.

Did she have one yesterday?

The company received a 10mil advance (apparently this is unusual) as they didn't have the infrastructure or whatever to actually start the contract.  

The Paladin Group in Spain in the 1970's was started by a former SS colonel.

Paladin's founder and key executive, Craig Thrupp, is no longer permitted to enter PNG, while another local director of Paladin, Kisokau Powaseu, was detained in Port Moresby last month and charged with misappropriating funds and money laundering.

They can protect tjhe barrier reef next.

ASIO not happy with misrepresentation and leaks from Home affairs to the News Ltd press re asylum seekers medevac bill. 

and Corrman receives free travel from a company owned by Liberal treasurer which then wins govt contract and moves aside public servant who tried to cut govt costs by applying tender competitively. snouts in trough, but Unions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Parkside said:

and Corrman receives free travel from a company owned by Liberal treasurer which then wins govt contract and moves aside public servant who tried to cut govt costs by applying tender competitively. snouts in trough, but Unions.

Yep, nothing to see here,,,, move along! 

On 17/02/2019 at 9:07 PM, IronmanFoz said:

Lets forget about Asylum seekers and offshore processing for a moment and lets discuss the farmers of Australia and the current issue they have up in Queensland due to the natural disaster. But first:

Border protection:

Figures provided to the treasury Senate estimates committee, first reported by the Australian Financial Review, reveal that in 2016-17 the government spent a total of $4.06bn on border protection.

Foreign Aid:

TOTAL AUSTRALIAN OFFICIAL DEVELOPMENT ASSISTANCE $4.2 BILLION

https://dfat.gov.au/about-us/corporate/portfolio-budget-statements/Pages/2018-19-australian-aid-budget-at-a-glance.aspx

Now...............

Our farmers.................The government are giving various region centres approx. $1M each +25K grants to in need individuals etc and I think I heard Queensland government are kicking in another 200K.

Does anyone else think we have a serious issue of inequality and our priorities are totally misguided.

How about we start looking after our own first and then the rest.

Yeah!!

2repit5.jpg

On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 8:02 AM, goughy said:

Maybe the Paladin Group can send them some of their 423mill from their offices at the shack on kangaroo island?  I'm sure Karen Dutton could make that happen?

They absolutely need to take care of things at home!  It's not one or the other.  They need to be doing both.  Properly.

Who is Karen Dutton?

Peter Dutton doesn't seem to know...

Buggers me, but I like making assumptions.  It's what most politics discussions are about.

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Buggers me, but I like making assumptions.  It's what most politics discussions are about.

Cool.  Can I try?

Let's see, who else do we know who has the same last name... 

The head of the CFMEU's last name is O'Connor 

Hang on, Labor's shadow industrial relations minister's last name is O'Connor too

I wonder if their relationship is closer than Karen and Peter Dutton...

34 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Cool.  Can I try?

Let's see, who else do we know who has the same last name... 

The head of the CFMEU's last name is O'Connor 

Hang on, Labor's shadow industrial relations minister's last name is O'Connor too

I wonder if their relationship is closer than Karen and Peter Dutton...

As they said about going Kong phooey, could be

images (6).jpeg

No mystery that they're related.  Don't think there was ever a question?

Dutton has history of either forgetting who people are (like old bosses/colleagues) when doing things that help them out, you know, with nannies etc.  Do I know who Karen Dutton is, NFI. More than likely a happy coincidence for us lefties.  I have no idea what the names of his sisters are.

37 minutes ago, goughy said:

No mystery that they're related.  Don't think there was ever a question?

Of course there wasn't

It's perfectly fine for the head of the biggest and most corrupt union in the country to be writing industrial relations policy for his brother

But someone having the same surname as Peter Dutton is some sort of scandal

You guys have become a parody of yourselves

11 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Of course there wasn't

It's perfectly fine for the head of the biggest and most corrupt union in the country to be writing industrial relations policy for his brother

But someone having the same surname as Peter Dutton is some sort of scandal

What's that Fox & Friends?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Parkside said:

What's that Fox & Friends?

What are you talking about, Green Left Weekly?

56 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

You're welcome to think the right is better than the left.  We all know they're both jokes.  The leadership of the LNP has been like a parody of the "who's on first" sketch, which they copied from Labor.

If you think I think Labor will do a better job, I don't.  Just a different job.  They both suck in the same and differing ways.  Which is why we need them both; checks and balances.  Worse would be the greens, one nation or Clive.  Politics feels more and more about self interest, protecting ones arse, and when ****ing up doing whatever you can to pass the buck.

I might be more left leaning in my sensibilities, but when Labor **** up I'll call it.  Being a lefty doesn't mean I'm a Labor lover.  I believe in what I believe in, regardless of who delivers it

I've said many times in the past, we need both parties.  Although I don't know if this is changing now days as both seem to be more centralising.  But we need the libs to build the funds so Labor can spend them where they're needed.  I don't know if that stands anymore though.

• Like 3

Call me a cynic but I wonder what plumb job she has been offered?  Her re-election was pretty much a formality even in the worst-case-scenario for the Libs and if she had ambition then could have mounted a good case for the leadership if the defeat was substantial.

Parliament will be poorer for the loss of her.

• Like 1

You're no cynic.  You are probably right, and would you blame her?  Soundly beaten in the leadership spill when the average Joe voter probably thinks she was their best option?  Another women gone, how many will they have running for election?

Nah, if anyone's earned it then it's probably her.

I don't think Julie would care too much how many women are running on either side and neither should we.  All parties have major issues with far too many candidates put up who aren't chosen based on their ability to do the job if they actually win.  Whether that be men because of their affiliations, women because of a quota, celebrities and minorities for the optics or, mostly in the case of minor parties, idiots chosen because nobody else is dumb enough to put their hand up.

"Based on merit" shouldn't mean the person with the best chance of being elected.

On 21/02/2019 at 7:05 PM, ComfortablyNumb said:

Absolutely.  More balls than the rest of them put together.

Didn't Midnight Oil do a song about Julie? Blue Sky Mines?  

Scoop:

Steven Ciobo looks likely to be the next minister to announce he won't sit the next election. His seat is on the Gold Coast, and just happens to be where Peter Dutton has his "holiday home". It also has a 14% margin, compared to the 1.3% margin in Potato Head's electorate of Dickson. 

My call is we'll see PD drop his current constituents and make a run for the safe seat of Moncrieff. This time I think the PM will make a captain's call to stop the local branch vetoing it.

That would be interesting!  Seat might be safe but would they like Dutton?  I reckon that's a good call!

You beat me by a minute to posting about Ciabo, but Pune is also rumoured to announce his resignation tomorrow.

If they both announce, have we seen this kind of abandonment before?  Is it normal?

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Scoop:

Steven Ciobo looks likely to be the next minister to announce he won't sit the next election. His seat is on the Gold Coast, and just happens to be where Peter Dutton has his "holiday home". It also has a 14% margin, compared to the 1.3% margin in Potato Head's electorate of Dickson. 

My call is we'll see PD drop his current constituents and make a run for the safe seat of Moncrieff. This time I think the PM will make a captain's call to stop the local branch vetoing it.

Then you'd be a winner no matter who wins the next election Ex

3 hours ago, Mike Del said:

Then you'd be a winner no matter who wins the next election Ex

The only down side to it would be that I can't put Potato Head as my last preference.

6 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Scoop:

What do you mean this time? He's already done that to keep Craig mcfreaking Kelly preselected when he was gooone

1 minute ago, Parkside said:

What do you mean this time? He's already done that to keep Craig mcfreaking Kelly preselected when he was gooone

By "this time" I mean that Dutton has tried this once before when it looked like he might lose his seat, but that time there was no intervention, and the local branch rejected him.

5 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

By "this time" I mean that Dutton has tried this once before when it looked like he might lose his seat, but that time there was no intervention, and the local branch rejected him.

sorry, gotcha. 

For all the hyperbole around unions and factionalism in the ALP, this conservative/moderate schism has really destroyed the coalition. Neither side is any better in terms of protecting their own little fiefdom over who is actually the best qualified person to do a job. (Although Shorten has been in place for what seems an eternity in recent political history) A presidential system may just have some merit in some ways. Electoral vote rather than factional brokers controlling who is the PM?

Pyne has officially announced it too now.

Will there be enough cushy jobs in embassies around the world for all these ex-ministers to drop into?

• Like 2

Or on the board of directors at some company. I don’t think any of them will struggle financially. 

Please excuse my cynicism. 

• Like 1

While it's labor running the line of rats deserting the ship, I'm just glad we are going to save the cost of at least 6 by-elections right after the election which is the usual way these things pan out

On 03/03/2019 at 12:56 PM, Cottoneyes said:

While it's labor running the line of rats deserting the ship

Well they would say that, wouldn't they...

Pyne is just another bit of Turnbull's lefty dead wood that the Libs are better off without  

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Well they would say that, wouldn't they...

Pyne is just another bit of Turnbull's lefty dead wood that the Libs are better off without  

What Diplomatic role has Christopher got lined up? Craig Kelly may get offered the Holy See post after declaring Pell innocent and quoting Bolt. 

When you're the sitting member, and your own branch members don't want to endorse you any more, and the PM has to step in to protect your position....... yeah, Craig Kelly sucked before his Pell comments.  If his local branch didn't want him anymore prior, wonder what they think now.

8 hours ago, goughy said:

When you're the sitting member, and your own branch members don't want to endorse you any more, and the PM has to step in to protect your position....... yeah, Craig Kelly sucked before his Pell comments.  If his local branch didn't want him anymore prior, wonder what they think now.

Once the numbers men tell Morrison he can't win even with Craig Kelly, i hope they let him join the ultra right fruit bat coal cross bench and put the discredited career pro-developer mayor in his place for Hughes.

In other news, Has Michael Daley become even more electable after telling Alan Jones love on air he'll sack the SCG trust board if he wins? Good politics I reckon, Jones was never going to endorse him, his listeners won't vote for him, if you are going to appear on his show, make it worthwhile entertainment for the majority of the electorate who can't stomach Alan Jones.

And in international politics, how about that darling of the left Justin Trudeau?  I had thought he was all show and no go but it appears I was terribly wrong.

• Like 1

What's he been doing since breaking up with Jennifer Aniston??

3 hours ago, Stikman said:

And in international politics, how about that darling of the left Justin Trudeau?  I had thought he was all show and no go but it appears I was terribly wrong.

Wait, I thought the darling of the left was Jacinda Ardern, or Kim Il Jong, depending on how far left said left was

MT interviewed overnight claiming he was ousted from the leadership because they didn't want him to win another election!!

Kassidy saying this morning there may be a little bit of truth to it (a little bit) because if he won the next election that would be statement against the right.

36 minutes ago, goughy said:

MT interviewed overnight claiming he was ousted from the leadership because they didn't want him to win another election!!

Kassidy saying this morning there may be a little bit of truth to it (a little bit) because if he won the next election that would be statement against the right.

Albanese was saying something similar on Sky News.  Obviously Cassidy is still getting the ALP's daily quote sheet

The truth is, of course, diametrically opposed to Turnbull's mutterings.  He is trying to make sure that the party loses because they ousted him

• Like 1

I wouldn't say Cassidy was convinced of it, but that if you draw a long bow you might get to it.

Turnbull's just getting his own back.  

4 minutes ago, goughy said:

I wouldn't say Cassidy was convinced of it, but that if you draw a long bow you might get to it.

Turnbull's just getting his own back.  

Plenty of people have suggested that Turnbull's ousting was Abbott getting his own back

But that would also be drawing a rather long bow

I wouldn't have thought that was a long draw?