Rocket Salad

The Politics Thread

On 21/02/2019 at 7:05 PM, ComfortablyNumb said:

Absolutely.  More balls than the rest of them put together.

Didn't Midnight Oil do a song about Julie? Blue Sky Mines?  

Scoop:

Steven Ciobo looks likely to be the next minister to announce he won't sit the next election. His seat is on the Gold Coast, and just happens to be where Peter Dutton has his "holiday home". It also has a 14% margin, compared to the 1.3% margin in Potato Head's electorate of Dickson. 

My call is we'll see PD drop his current constituents and make a run for the safe seat of Moncrieff. This time I think the PM will make a captain's call to stop the local branch vetoing it.

That would be interesting!  Seat might be safe but would they like Dutton?  I reckon that's a good call!

You beat me by a minute to posting about Ciabo, but Pune is also rumoured to announce his resignation tomorrow.

If they both announce, have we seen this kind of abandonment before?  Is it normal?

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Scoop:

Steven Ciobo looks likely to be the next minister to announce he won't sit the next election. His seat is on the Gold Coast, and just happens to be where Peter Dutton has his "holiday home". It also has a 14% margin, compared to the 1.3% margin in Potato Head's electorate of Dickson. 

My call is we'll see PD drop his current constituents and make a run for the safe seat of Moncrieff. This time I think the PM will make a captain's call to stop the local branch vetoing it.

Then you'd be a winner no matter who wins the next election Ex

3 hours ago, Mike Del said:

Then you'd be a winner no matter who wins the next election Ex

The only down side to it would be that I can't put Potato Head as my last preference.

6 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Scoop:

What do you mean this time? He's already done that to keep Craig mcfreaking Kelly preselected when he was gooone

1 minute ago, Parkside said:

What do you mean this time? He's already done that to keep Craig mcfreaking Kelly preselected when he was gooone

By "this time" I mean that Dutton has tried this once before when it looked like he might lose his seat, but that time there was no intervention, and the local branch rejected him.

5 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

By "this time" I mean that Dutton has tried this once before when it looked like he might lose his seat, but that time there was no intervention, and the local branch rejected him.

sorry, gotcha. 

For all the hyperbole around unions and factionalism in the ALP, this conservative/moderate schism has really destroyed the coalition. Neither side is any better in terms of protecting their own little fiefdom over who is actually the best qualified person to do a job. (Although Shorten has been in place for what seems an eternity in recent political history) A presidential system may just have some merit in some ways. Electoral vote rather than factional brokers controlling who is the PM?

Pyne has officially announced it too now.

Will there be enough cushy jobs in embassies around the world for all these ex-ministers to drop into?

• Like 2

Or on the board of directors at some company. I don’t think any of them will struggle financially. 

Please excuse my cynicism. 

• Like 1

While it's labor running the line of rats deserting the ship, I'm just glad we are going to save the cost of at least 6 by-elections right after the election which is the usual way these things pan out

On 03/03/2019 at 12:56 PM, Cottoneyes said:

While it's labor running the line of rats deserting the ship

Well they would say that, wouldn't they...

Pyne is just another bit of Turnbull's lefty dead wood that the Libs are better off without  

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Well they would say that, wouldn't they...

Pyne is just another bit of Turnbull's lefty dead wood that the Libs are better off without  

What Diplomatic role has Christopher got lined up? Craig Kelly may get offered the Holy See post after declaring Pell innocent and quoting Bolt. 

When you're the sitting member, and your own branch members don't want to endorse you any more, and the PM has to step in to protect your position....... yeah, Craig Kelly sucked before his Pell comments.  If his local branch didn't want him anymore prior, wonder what they think now.

8 hours ago, goughy said:

When you're the sitting member, and your own branch members don't want to endorse you any more, and the PM has to step in to protect your position....... yeah, Craig Kelly sucked before his Pell comments.  If his local branch didn't want him anymore prior, wonder what they think now.

Once the numbers men tell Morrison he can't win even with Craig Kelly, i hope they let him join the ultra right fruit bat coal cross bench and put the discredited career pro-developer mayor in his place for Hughes.

In other news, Has Michael Daley become even more electable after telling Alan Jones love on air he'll sack the SCG trust board if he wins? Good politics I reckon, Jones was never going to endorse him, his listeners won't vote for him, if you are going to appear on his show, make it worthwhile entertainment for the majority of the electorate who can't stomach Alan Jones.

And in international politics, how about that darling of the left Justin Trudeau?  I had thought he was all show and no go but it appears I was terribly wrong.

• Like 1

What's he been doing since breaking up with Jennifer Aniston??

3 hours ago, Stikman said:

And in international politics, how about that darling of the left Justin Trudeau?  I had thought he was all show and no go but it appears I was terribly wrong.

Wait, I thought the darling of the left was Jacinda Ardern, or Kim Il Jong, depending on how far left said left was

MT interviewed overnight claiming he was ousted from the leadership because they didn't want him to win another election!!

Kassidy saying this morning there may be a little bit of truth to it (a little bit) because if he won the next election that would be statement against the right.

36 minutes ago, goughy said:

MT interviewed overnight claiming he was ousted from the leadership because they didn't want him to win another election!!

Kassidy saying this morning there may be a little bit of truth to it (a little bit) because if he won the next election that would be statement against the right.

Albanese was saying something similar on Sky News.  Obviously Cassidy is still getting the ALP's daily quote sheet

The truth is, of course, diametrically opposed to Turnbull's mutterings.  He is trying to make sure that the party loses because they ousted him

• Like 1

I wouldn't say Cassidy was convinced of it, but that if you draw a long bow you might get to it.

Turnbull's just getting his own back.  

4 minutes ago, goughy said:

I wouldn't say Cassidy was convinced of it, but that if you draw a long bow you might get to it.

Turnbull's just getting his own back.  

Plenty of people have suggested that Turnbull's ousting was Abbott getting his own back

But that would also be drawing a rather long bow

I wouldn't have thought that was a long draw?

5 hours ago, goughy said:

i didn't realise he was going to win. 

He thought they could!  He reckoned they were on about parity with Labor in the polls, but were 4% up in the marginals and you know the marginals decide the election.

It looks like my mate Potato Head will break his own record again this year. He set a record for the most asylum seekers in a year last year, with over 27,000, and looks set to beat it again this year.

The funny thing is, that even with the boats stopped, illegal people smugglers are still working, just using airlines, and the number of non-genuine cases far outstrips the numbers when they were coming by boats.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

It looks like my mate Potato Head will break his own record again this year. He set a record for the most asylum seekers in a year last year, with over 27,000, and looks set to beat it again this year.

The funny thing is, that even with the boats stopped, illegal people smugglers are still working, just using airlines, and the number of non-genuine cases far outstrips the numbers when they were coming by boats.

dammit...stop the planes or turn them around...

8 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Boat arrivals since 1976 by calendar year (gee the Gillard Rudd years were good.

Year Number of boats Number of people
1976   111
1977   868
1978   746
1979   304
1980   0
1981   30
1982–88   0
Year Number of boats Number of people  (excludes crew)
1989 1 26
1990 2 198
1991 6 214
1992 6 216
1993 3 81
1994 18 953
1995 7 237
1996 19 660
1997 11 339
1998 17 200
1999 86 3721
2000 51 2939
2001 43 5516
2002 1 1
2003 1 53
2004 1 15
2005 4 11
2006 6 60
2007 5 148
2008 7 161
Year Number of boats Crew Number of people (excludes crew)
2009 60 141 2726
2010 134 345 6555
2011 69 168 4565
2012 278 392 17 204
2013 300 644 20 587
2014 1 N/A 160
2015 0 0 0
2016 0 0 0
Edited by IronmanFoz
  • Like 1

It all depends if they are legitimate or not. Illegal immigrants coming in via boast are not valid asylum seekers hence the reason they are sent back/detained.

This below explains why we do let legitimate people into this country.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Australia has international obligations to protect the human rights of all asylum seekers and refugees who arrive in Australia, regardless of how or where they arrive and whether they arrive with or without a visa.

While asylum seekers and refugees are in Australian territory (or otherwise engage Australia's jurisdiction), the Australian Government has obligations under various international treaties to ensure that their human rights are respected and protected. These treaties include the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (ICESCR), the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (CAT) and the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC). These rights include the right not to be arbitrarily detained.

As a party to the Refugee Convention, Australia has agreed to ensure that asylum seekers who meet the definition of a refugee are not sent back to a country where their life or freedom would be threatened.

Edited by IronmanFoz

90% by boat are found to be legitimate.  Less than 50% by plane.

1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

Boat arrivals since 1976 by calendar year (gee the Gillard Rudd years were good.

Year Number of boats Number of people
1976   111
1977   868
1978   746
1979   304
1980   0
1981   30
1982–88   0
Year Number of boats Number of people  (excludes crew)
1989 1 26
1990 2 198
1991 6 214
1992 6 216
1993 3 81
1994 18 953
1995 7 237
1996 19 660
1997 11 339
1998 17 200
1999 86 3721
2000 51 2939
2001 43 5516
2002 1 1
2003 1 53
2004 1 15
2005 4 11
2006 6 60
2007 5 148
2008 7 161
Year Number of boats Crew Number of people (excludes crew)
2009 60 141 2726
2010 134 345 6555
2011 69 168 4565
2012 278 392 17 204
2013 300 644 20 587
2014 1 N/A 160
2015 0 0 0
2016 0 0 0

And just under 28,000 asylum seekers last year, and looking like over 30,000 this year coming. And most will be found to be non-genuine, but allowed to wander (and disappear) through the community till their investigation is complete. Some of these take over 5 years.

Youtube keeps showing me attack ads against Gladys Berejiklian... I don't think they've realised I can't vote...

#taxationwithoutrepresentation

5 minutes ago, monkie said:

#taxationwithoutrepresentation

Welcome to my world, pay all this tax, but no right to lots off thing

#kiwilivinginAus   #hiddenaustralianracistpolicies

1 minute ago, rory-dognz said:

I understand why I wouldn't be allowed to vote in national elections but I can't get involved in my local council... that seems weird!

44 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

Isn't it your choice to remain on SCV?  You could apply for PR and then get citizen after that. It's what the majority of migrants have to go through (whom also pay tax).

Mrs FP had to renounce her Korean citizenship to become an Australian. 

When I first arrived in Oz, I had to pay twice the Medicare levy but wasn't automatically entitled to it. 

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

When I first arrived in Oz, I had to pay twice the Medicare levy but wasn't automatically entitled to it. 

That’s because you were a “self funded” refugee!!!! 

We cant look after everyone. :(

1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

That’s because you were a “self funded” refugee!!!! 

We cant look after everyone. :(

I was an emotional refugee. I'd broken up with a girlfriend and Oz was the furthest I could think of to get away from her. :lol:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, FatPom said:

Well I just had to cough up £2,000 (AUD4,000 approx) for a 5 year UK National Health Insurance number which they surprise you with just as you're about to complete your UK Ancestry Visa application (the application also had a £520 fee attached to it). I was reminded by a colleague that it was a privilege to even be considered for a work Visa. To which I replied, "Meghan Markle". Silence followed. 

45 minutes ago, The Customer said:

Well I just had to cough up £2,000 (AUD4,000 approx) for a 5 year UK National Health Insurance number which they surprise you with just as you're about to complete your UK Ancestry Visa application (the application also had a £520 fee attached to it). I was reminded by a colleague that it was a privilege to even be considered for a work Visa. To which I replied, "Meghan Markle". Silence followed. 

They don't surprise you with it, it's in the download guidelines.  If you're on an Ancestry visa, what is Jas on?  I didn't think AVs could sponsor?

ETA, the costs for Mrs FP as a non EU spouse when we came (21010) were:

$1590 AUD for Settlement Visa

$200 interview fee

£1390 ILR fee. (only needed one back then)

£50 Life in the UK Test

£907 Citizenship fee

We never needed to pay the £200 pa, per applicant NHS access fee.

Edited by FatPom

6 hours ago, FatPom said:

They don't surprise you with it, it's in the download guidelines.  If you're on an Ancestry visa, what is Jas on?  I didn't think AVs could sponsor?

ETA, the costs for Mrs FP as a non EU spouse when we came (21010) were:

$1590 AUD for Settlement Visa

$200 interview fee

£1390 ILR fee. (only needed one back then)

£50 Life in the UK Test

£907 Citizenship fee

We never needed to pay the £200 pa, per applicant NHS access fee.

What your saying is regardless of which country you live in we all get shafted!!!

31 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

What your saying is regardless of which country you live in we all get shafted!!!

Exactly!

13 hours ago, FatPom said:

Isn't it your choice to remain on SCV?  You could apply for PR and then get citizen after that. It's what the majority of migrants have to go through (whom also pay tax).

Mrs FP had to renounce her Korean citizenship to become an Australian. 

No, for a Kiwi very hard to move to permanent residency. As initial entry is different to all other countries.

8 hours ago, rory-dognz said:

No, for a Kiwi very hard to move to permanent residency. As initial entry is different to all other countries.

Ah I see. I notice that there has been a general change in EOI threshold. Even though 65 pts is still the EOI benchmark, they are only inviting applicants with 70pts at the moment.

Michael McCormack (or who ever the leader of the nats is, does anyone know or care) owned BJ today.  BJ made the comment that the nats aren't married to the libs, and McCormack counted with I know what makes a successful marriage!

Burn, mic drop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The beetroot also claiming he is the “elected deputy prime minister of Australia”

Despite being ineligible for the election and forced to a by-election as a result, and resigning, who the f*k does this idiot thinks elects him as NAT leader, let alone Deputy Prime Minister? - it sure as sh*t isn't the voters, and you would have thought not even barnyard would try on that line of BS.

I thought he was a tomato?

How did Clive become a millionaire when he fails basic maths - doesn't know his billions from his millions?

Tassy speech, apparently the NBN cost 55,000 BILLION!

1 minute ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

apparently the NBN cost 55,000 BILLION!

He's talking about when it finally works.

• Haha 1