Rocket Salad

The Politics Thread

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Just write them a message on the ballot paper. As long as the rest is filled in properly, it's still valid. 

In 1982 during the Franklin Dam protests, voters sent a wake-up call to the Federal Government when a Federal By-election in Victoria returned over 40% of ballot papers, with "No Dams" written across them.

If a ballot is written on outside the boxes the scrutineer of the party not getting the vote will most certainly dispute it's validity. The booth OIC or the returning officer will say yey or nay. The vote will stand as long as it contains no profanity, threat, or anything that may identify the voter. 

At the same time, a valid vote gives the party or individual funds from our taxes to help them pay for their election costs - as long as they get above 4% of the primary vote.

In my state electorate, the Nats member had an increase to 65% of the primary vote.  Being such a safe seat we get 2/5ths of bugger all money spent with alot of infrastructure being neglected for a 20 year period now.

Last election no one got my vote and my message written on the ballot was along the lines of "You spend nothing on us, I'm spending nothing on you".  Kept my $3.50 (for each house) or whatever it is in the treasury and not in a political party.  Enough people do it in the safe seats and the parties will have a funding crisis in not much time, particularly with corporate donations and union memberships on the decline

Alternatively, if you have a good independent, give them the money for next time and give them your first preference and encourage more of them

Isn't that why Pauline Hanson keeps going at this, the money she gets from that?

7 minutes ago, goughy said:

Isn't that why Pauline Hanson keeps going at this, the money she gets from that?

They only get what they can show they spent on electoral spending. In theory, you have to have spent it to get it back.

5 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

They only get what they can show they spent on electoral spending. In theory, you have to have spent it to get it back.

Yeah but she probably gets the original spend from donors/ backers, then pockets the return from the AEC

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Yeh but that’s why her office manager / PA ( the one who worked for Slipper then stabbed him in the back) owns a printing company. Last election a few One Nation candidates quit because Pauline was forcing them to buy all their election materials off him at crazy prices.

4 hours ago, roxii said:

Yeah but she probably gets the original spend from donors/ backers, then pockets the return from the AEC

Part of the reason she went to jail

Labor's amendments to Kerryn Phelps' activist doctors bill may be unconstitutional

So we have Labor supporting a bill with the Greens and independents which would weaken our border security arrangements, but it won't be forwarded to the GG for royal assent

And the Liberals will be able to go very hard in the campaign using this vote as evidence of Labor's weakness on border security

Quite possibly the second best outcome for the Libs really.  The only way it could go better is if the bill is passed and a bunch of boats turn up

I would still like to know how many boats have been turned back, and what happened to them after they were turned back?

I guess out of mind out of sight.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, goughy said:

I would still like to know how many boats have been turned back, and what happened to them after they were turned back?

I guess out of mind out of sight.

Oh I'm sure boats have been leaving Indonesia at the same rate as they used to under Labor

Obviously the evil Libs are just shooting everyone on board and then sinking the boats

I think it’s unfair not to give the current govt credit for the jack of boat people. 

Given the current state of Aus politics given a chance I turn back too. 

• Haha 1

So you don't actually know, but as I also think, similar numbers are still leaving?  Cause the smugglers don't care either way!

And the was no need to be silly with the shooting comment.  I asked a simple question, which I've asked several times here and yours is the first response, being you don't actually know!

So we actually have no idea what is happening with the boats after they've been turned around, which, was found to be legal by high Court judges under Australian law, but they didn't take into account international law.

So they could in theory be sinking in Indonesian waters?  Or Malaysian, or Thailand.  So is it of sight out of mind?

The Gov own sight says about 89% who arrive by boat are legitimate refugees.  About 47% who fly here are found legitimate.  And apart from one year, where Arrivals were about the same, many more people have flown here seeking asylum.  We also receive very few compared to other nations around the world.

I agree this needs to be sorted.  I don't want boats sinking anywhere, regardless of whether in Australia or Indonesia, or anywhere.  I don't think either party have got it right, but the current way makes people here feel safer as we aren't being invaded.  I don't have the right solution.  Personally I think we need to go after the smugglers, but that would require the assistance of other nations who are most likely happy to see them leave to head here.

I also in no way believe our soldiers or navy officers are sending them back in boats that they do not believe are sea worthy.  I think too much of them to even consider that.  So where exactly are they all ending up?

Do we have a problem with a person found to be a legitimate refugee being given refugee status in Australia?

33 minutes ago, goughy said:

I also in no way believe our soldiers or navy officers are sending them back in boats that they do not believe are sea worthy.  I think too much of them to even consider that.  So where exactly are they all ending up?

Do we have a problem with a person found to be a legitimate refugee being given refugee status in Australia?

Yes Australia is for rich privileged people

I'm pretty friggin poor, you better send a boat for me!

1 minute ago, goughy said:

Hmm, the strategy for less privileged whose rich mummy and daddies did not leave them money or usher them into a life of inherited privilege. is to make you so miserable that you leave, or live a shorter life because it is so horrible. 

We condemn these people to live in crappy western Sydney suburbs and convince them through 2gb and the daily telegraph to support people who would love to ship them off shore

image.png

1 minute ago, goughy said:

Hmm, the strategy for less privileged whose rich mummy and daddies did not leave them money or usher them into a life of inherited privilege. is to make you so miserable that you leave, or live a shorter life because it is so horrible. 

We condemn these people to live in crappy western Sydney suburbs and convince them through 2gb and the daily telegraph to support people who would love to ship them off shore

8 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Even if you spend say $200K on a campaign director that happens to be your spouse.  These people and organisations know the ways to get around the rules

16 minutes ago, goughy said:

You live in the very western suburbs, even further than Inala & Ipswich. ;)

You are allowed to stay there.

I'm not privileged enough to live in Logan!  I'm in dyed in the wool right wing territory - the sort of people that love Barnaby and wish they could have him as their member!  Where I live, if you vote informally they just count that as a vote for the nats (or LNP) assuming that you were farming too much to get a proper edumacation  and you just made a mistake with your ballot paper!

For the State electorates, mine was once held by the Katter party!  Send me that boat now!!!

Libs are screwed.  They need to call an election now. They are a minority government now. 

The government lost a series of votes by 74 to 75 in a defeat on significant legislation that has not occurred in federal Parliament since 1941

Edited by Peter

Won't happen.  ScoMo says "move along, move along!  Nuttin to see here."

What about the 12 refugees that Labor tell you died in custody on Manus Island due to the Australia Govenrment.

They neglect to tell you that ;

2 died swimming (1 on a day trip and got caught in a rip.

2 from car accidents

1 threw himself out of. A car

1 set himself on fire in protest during a UN visit.

2 from Heart attacks (1 had been sent to Brissy the other had been in Port Moresby)

3 had long term mental health issues way before arriving.

1 had the shit beaten out of him.  

• Like 1

Mathias running the tried and Trump line of rapists, murderers and paedophiles.

Christmas island is reopening.

How long until boats magically start slipping through?

20 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Yes Australia is for rich privileged people

would you let a complete stranger come and stay in your house?

19 minutes ago, Prince said:

would you let a complete stranger come and stay in your house?

but your law is inconsistent, because i can come in without a visa, and no background check. but then I am a rich white person

30 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

but your law is inconsistent, because i can come in without a visa, and no background check. but then I am a rich white person

but you can't if you have a criminal record. 

Maybe the amount of time and effort spend arguing about the quite small number of refugees we actually take could have been better spent doing some real governing and making the country a better more prosperous (on many levels) place for us all to exist so that we would then be able to successfully take more refugees. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Prince said:

but you can't if you have a criminal record. 

As a Kiwi yes i can, Aus can just deport me if they feel like it

So sense is allowed in politics Roxii!

19 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

What about the 12 refugees that Labor tell you died in custody on Manus Island due to the Australia Govenrment.

They neglect to tell you that ;

2 died swimming (1 on a day trip and got caught in a rip.

2 from car accidents

1 threw himself out of. A car

1 set himself on fire in protest during a UN visit.

2 from Heart attacks (1 had been sent to Brissy the other had been in Port Moresby)

3 had long term mental health issues way before arriving.

1 had the shit beaten out of him.  

Racist

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Maybe the amount of time and effort spend arguing about the quite small number of refugees we actually take could have been better spent doing some real governing and making the country a better more prosperous (on many levels) place for us all to exist so that we would then be able to successfully take more refugees. 

I'm not so sure that the phrase 'quite small' is appropriate given that Australia's per capita refugee intake is among the most generous in the world

7 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I'm not so sure that the phrase 'quite small' is appropriate given that Australia's per capita refugee intake is among the most generous in the world

Would you use that same logic if we were talking carbon emissions?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

And our per area intake is among the least generous in the world.

Aren't statistics wonderful? You can make them say anything you want. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, I'm glad I've been paying through-the-nose electricity bills to gold-plate the poles & wires after privatising them.

18-hr blackout for an entire sector (with some still out) due to a basement fire in a single sub-station, seems like an excellent outcome.

2 minutes ago, XCOM.! said:

Well, I'm glad I've been paying through-the-nose electricity bills to gold-plate the poles & wires after privatising them.

18-hr blackout for an entire sector (with some still out) due to a basement fire in a single sub-station, seems like an excellent outcome.

Like I keep saying....... too big a country with not enough tax payers to support it.

Thats why smart immigration policy is important with a proper plan. Not a plan to let in people with no skills who will be a further burden on our health and social security spending.

When you get your tax return back take not on what you taxes are paying for...... you will be astonished how much goes on the two items alone.

For me .......I am sick and tired of paying tax and being stung from every angle. And compared to a lot of people.....I probably don’t pay that much.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mike Del said:

Would you use that same logic if we were talking carbon emissions?

Yes

Migrants have demonstrable effects on our economy and society though

And climate change policy is far more damaging than climate change

15 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

And our per area intake is among the least generous in the world.

Aren't statistics wonderful? You can make them say anything you want. :)

Cool.  Let's bring in a million per year and shop them out to Woomera then...

4 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

For me .......I am sick and tired of paying tax and being stung from every angle. And compared to a lot of people.....I probably don’t pay that much.

We can fix that.  After Labor get their franking credits and realise that it doesn't take in what they had assumed and already spent (because people will just restructure...duh) they'll start having your employer take your income tax at the highest marginal rate and refuse to refund you the difference between that and what you should be paying.  Much bigger pie to steal from there.

4 hours ago, Stikman said:

We can fix that.  After Labor get their franking credits and realise that it doesn't take in what they had assumed and already spent (because people will just restructure...duh) they'll start having your employer take your income tax at the highest marginal rate and refuse to refund you the difference between that and what you should be paying.  Much bigger pie to steal from there.

don't be too hard on Labor, but they will put all that extra revenue to good use by increasing the dole payments and other benefits

7 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Yes

Are you 12 years old IJ?

9 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

Are you 12 years old IJ?

Why would you ask that. He makes a very good point.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

Are you 12 years old IJ?

No Mike

Your response suggests that your age is much closer to 12 than mine

On 13/02/2019 at 4:35 PM, IronJimbo said:

Said George Brandis. Would you hazard a guess at what Fact Check said about that statement?

7 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Yes

:(

I do own a Giant, you may have a point. :lol:

17 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Said George Brandis. Would you hazard a guess at what Fact Check said about that statement?

I dunno, probably found some evidence that it was right but then worked out a way in which we're less so and labelled it false?