Rocket Salad

The Politics Thread

31 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

And yet we are supposed to trust climate scientists who have historically been wrong about nearly everything mainly due to using models and techniques that are a poor fit for the problems they are trying to analyse and solve

Do you agree humans have changed the climate?

Anyway I was ragging on the trusted economists who said 2008 would be a bull market year

8 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Probably 

I'm guessing that we will disagree on the extent though 

5 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

The real purpose of the $42 billion 'Nation building package' (i.e. replacing perfectly adequate school halls) was propping up the construction industry

Which props up the CFMEU

Which props up the Labor party

In most cases, there were no school halls in existence. Those that were simply were not adequate. You’d know that if you had kids going to public school. Amuch better spend of public money than Howard’s ‘school halls’ program which saw Kings and Scots able to upgrade their Italinate elephant palaces and boating sheds.

Plus the investment bank I worked for also benefited from the GFC and said Australia didn’t need stimulus.l

IronmanFoz - I really need to arrange for you to go on a date with the great Vasily Blokhin.

6 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

No disrespect but any idiot cut put a link into a thread to back up a claim - even me! P

Indeed. You are that idiot:  Drawing deep from the IPA and other shills of the overdog.

Sinclair Davidson? When he’s not shilling for the IPA, he’s shilling for big tobacco. 

If we are going to do a cut and paste war - I’ll see you and raise you:

https://independentaustralia.net/politics/politics-display/labors-gfc-legacy-misrepresented-by-falsehoods-fast-and-furious-part-1a,9683

https://independentaustralia.net/politics/politics-display/labors-gfc-legacy-part-2-what-was-really-achieved,9698

https://independentaustralia.net/politics/politics-display/labors-gfc-legacy-the-verdict-of-history-part-3-and-conclusion,9705

https://www.crikey.com.au/2017/11/02/ten-years-on-from-the-stockmarket-peak-were-in-a-different-world/

https://www.theguardian.com/business/grogonomics/2016/jun/30/labors-stimulus-package-got-us-through-a-crisis-turnbull-saying-otherwise-is-silly

Edited by Andrew #1

Facts are not disproved just because they have been quoted by the ATA lads

And name calling has never been a terribly convincing method of debate Andrew

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Anyway I was ragging on the trusted economists who said 2008 would be a bull market year

The thing I don't get is the climate has been in a state of charge since day dot. We have been through a heap of ice ages, so why now all of a sudden do they think the climate needs to remain fixed?

Either way I think they are selling the message wrong. They should be saying whether we are or aren't impacting climate change we should be eliminating fossil fuels to keep all the shit out of the air so that our kids can breath nice fresh in polluted air..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Facts are not disproved just because they have been quoted by the ATA lads

And name calling has never been a terribly convincing method of debate Andrew

I debate professionally with experts. Name calling with idiots saves time.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

I debate professionally with experts

Given how often you resort to intellectual dishonesty, you don't seem to be very good at it

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Given how often you resort to intellectual dishonesty, you don't seem to be very good at it

Yeah. Piss poor. 90%+ conviction rate when I prosecute. 80% win rate in civil and industrial litigation I run. 80% acquittals when I defend. Hopeless.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Redefining the word 'debate' does not make you a good debater

Runner up at the Australasian University Debating Championships; finalist - World Debating Championship, Princeton University.

How do you like those apples?

Edited by Andrew #1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Most impressive 

When did you forget how to do it properly? 

I haven’t. The problem is that you are a drone with a confirmation bias problem.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

lol @ 'professional debater'

You argue for a living and lie for a hobby...

Some would uncharitably say it’s the other way round ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Seriously dudes, chill with all the personal shit eh.  Every single one of us can find something to legitimately support our opinions and beliefs, and whether we agree or disagree with each other doesn't matter.  We can have a lively debate without it reaching to the gutter.  I mean, hell, I bet I can find evidence proving flat earth theory.  Doesn't mean I believe it.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, goughy said:

Seriously dudes, chill with all the personal shit eh.  Every single one of us can find something to legitimately support our opinions and beliefs, and whether we agree or disagree with each other doesn't matter.  We can have a lively debate without it reaching to the gutter.  I mean, hell, I bet I can find evidence proving flat earth theory.  Doesn't mean I believe it.  

Piss off 😜

I may not agree with very much you say IJ, but you know I luv ya.  I'll take that as a compliment :)

Some more ministers announce they're leaving the sinking ship....

Have any Labor pollies announced they're retiring at the next election?  Or independents?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

lol @ 'professional debater'

You argue for a living and lie for a hobby...

He's a master debater...

You could say he's a master bater lol😁

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Someone call ‘more’ and ambulance ... 

C'mon it was pretty funny, lighten up 😉

14 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Probably 

I'm guessing that we will disagree on the extent though 

I admit to not knowing the extent. I think we should try to have a positive effect on the planet. Agree that if the US China and India keep pumping out tonnes of emissions then our changes have little to no effect.

Challenges is to how to change the big emitters, don't know

• Like 1

I believe in climate change, and I also believe the Earth's climate naturally changes.  You can believe in both.  We have a hole in the ozone layer, it's repairing wth a change that was made.

You don't have to be one or the other.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andrew #1 said:

Someone call ‘more’ and ambulance ... 

Did you need something to chase or are you running out of work?...

😋

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

I admit to not knowing the extent. I think we should try to have a positive effect on the planet. Agree that if the US China and India keep pumping out tonnes of emissions then our changes have little to no effect.

Challenges is to how to change the big emitters, don't know

It seems we agree on quite a few things

The key question is, why are we penalising ourselves when absolutely nothing we do will have any effect on the problem (assuming of course that a problem exists)?

Just now, IronJimbo said:

The key question is, why are we penalising ourselves when absolutely nothing we do will have any effect on the problem (assuming of course that a problem exists)?

Like I said this is where they have done a piss poor job of selling the story 

I mean who the hell doesn't want reduced pollution or clean air? Sell that story with the icing on top that if climate change is real then it can only help 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, more said:

Like I said this is where they have done a piss poor job of selling the story 

I mean who the hell doesn't want reduced pollution or clean air? Sell that story with the icing on top that if climate change is real then it can only help 

Pollution and clear air is a separate issue which has been cynically merged in to confuse people and allow the zealots to accuse their opponents of not caring about the environment

16 hours ago, Mike Del said:

And with that disappears any of your credibility Foz. The ATA have been making up their own "facts" for years.

And there..... I have exactly proven my point about people dragging up facts off the internet. 

I’k call this one........ gotten..... Hook line and sinker....... Mike Del and Andrew#1...... get in the boat!!!!

17 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Like I said.... in the previous post above.... anyone can pull stuff off the internet to justify a stance..... you well and truely took the bait.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

The 7.7 billion people consuming and producing by products is having an effect.

200 years ago there were less than a billion people. 

Stats and maths have failed in economics, they work a bit more effectively in climate:

develop models in the physical sciences that show how biophysical systems will react to changing levels of atmospheric gases. although There’s a good case to be made that the models we use to assess future climate damages are mostly reflecting our assumptions back at us. Roberts 2015

Political operatives at their upcoming  damage-control meeting in Stockholm this week  will have to figure out how to spin evidence of  a 17 year “pause” in global temperature rise and the expanding Arctic ice mass  despite what they love to describe as “record high” atmospheric CO 2 concentrations.

18000 years ago ice age ended sea levels rise by around 400 feet. Not much coal being burnt or card emitting fumes. I don't know, would like to think that we can do as much good as we can.

Though if the planet naturally had this much change without the effect of billions of humans and industry that it is beyond my understanding.

https://ocean.si.edu/through-time/ancient-seas/sea-level-rise

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

And there..... I have exactly proven my point about people dragging up facts off the internet. 

I’k call this one........ gotten..... Hook line and sinker....... Mike Del and Andrew#1...... get in the boat!!!!

Are you on crack Foz ...explain this deflection pls?

6 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

Are you on crack Foz ...explain this deflection pls?

I saw it coming Mike. It was in his post. 

On 25/01/2019 at 4:10 PM, IronmanFoz said:

No disrespect but any idiot cut put a link into a thread to back up a claim - even me!

He basically said anyone can find a link to support any argument. That doesn't mean it's true.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Zali Stegall  nominated for Warringah as an Independent. Mr Rabbit might have some spare time up his sleeve soon

TA's got 9 lives.  Not even sure he's used one yet.

She sounds like the perfect candidate. Local girl, Olympian and World Champ sporting heroine, Barrister, on board of local girls school. Financially conservative yet not a climate change denier. Independent but backed by a group of well connected locals it would seem. The complete antithesis to Abbott in so many respects, if Warringah is anything like Wentworth in demography (its actually more affluent) I think he is in trouble. Only problem would be the number of people nominating to have a crack at him might dilute the vote against him.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Parkside said:

She sounds like the perfect candidate. Local girl, Olympian and World Champ sporting heroine, Barrister, on board of local girls school. Financially conservative yet not a climate change denier.

She'd make a great Liberal candidate.

I don't know.  The seem to be a few that wanna topple him, but I reckon he'll hold (man I hope I have to eat my words).

She'd be useless in the LNP.  She thinks we're not doing enough to address climate change.  

Warringah is nothing like Wentworth, and Turnbull as a local member was nothing like Abbott 

The wishful thinking in this thread is amusing though 

Sux that I agree with you ;)

18 hours ago, goughy said:

I don't know.  The seem to be a few that wanna topple him, but I reckon he'll hold (man I hope I have to eat my words).

She'd be useless in the LNP.  She thinks we're not doing enough to address climate change.  

If she won, she would have a quarter of the votes in the party room after the next election

Face it, the 'survivors' of the LNP left are going to shape the party for the next decade, too many right wing nutbags left and they're stuffed, enough moderates and Bill might be shitting himself in 3 years time

• Like 1

On 17/01/2019 at 11:42 AM, Limited said:

I got one too. I couldn't believe it. Are they trying to piss people off?

If anyone is bothered by Clive’s annoying phone messages, you can always return the favour 

53A81B17-D17D-42B9-9F15-63F9D2A2CAF5.jpeg

Edited by Mike Del

8 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Warringah is nothing like Wentworth, and Turnbull as a local member was nothing like Abbott 

The wishful thinking in this thread is amusing though 

Thats right, Turnbull's constituents loved him.

Incredibly wishful thinking on my part. And most of the nation.

• Thanks 1

Losing the Prime Ministership wasn't humiliating enough for Abbott.  The evil bastard deserves to lose his seat too

Leftist hatred is truly something to behold

I'd be happy to see him lose his seat (would have been even happier if the loss was in 94).  I just don't think he will.

14 minutes ago, goughy said:

I'd be happy to see him lose his seat (would have been even happier if the loss was in 94).  I just don't think he will.

I just hope his goon Dutton loses his this year. I'll be doing what I can to help with that. ;)

eg: My 0.001 cents worth.

• Like 1

Disappointed I won’t be there to vote against him and see him finally out of politics. 

10 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Losing the Prime Ministership wasn't humiliating enough for Abbott.  The evil bastard deserves to lose his seat too

Leftist hatred is truly something to behold

Yep, out with the rubbish. He needs to be relegated to the think tank talk show circuit ASAP, or a coal board or 2. He stank as a PM, his party knifed him, his branch despises him and has splintered to run an independent against him, but it's leftist hate. He is yesterdays man in all respects. He has been nothing but a sniper and disruptor from the back bench, outed his successor and now will gift the lodge to Bill Shorten. His ship is sinking, go down with it. Ditch the bitch or something.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1