Rocket Salad

The Politics Thread

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

You are correct, the seat no longer contains part of Darlinghurst 

My point remains though, which explains why the likes of John Hewson and Malcolm Turnbull were popular 

😂 Hewson ..... your going back 1987

Hewson, didn't he lose an unlosable election?

Sharma got 43 % of first preferences. Phelps less than thirty. It is the system it is but who even thinks about their preferences when voting

17 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

OK

The seat is filled with people with an ideological hatred of the Liberal party and would rather have root canal surgery than vote for them

Is that better?

I liked your previous version better. It's real and non politically correct. The world is going mad on political correctness.

Now... my daughter is a doing the HSC and wants to do nursing...... and did you know the do gooders out there are now proposing (and it may already be policy) that if you are attending to an indigenous person you have to thanks them etc etc etc similar to the line that everyone now does....I want to thank and show my respect to the original inhabitants of the Garigal nation etc etc etc ....what a load of bullshit.

Someone tell me this is not correct.....please....

Edited by IronmanFoz
typo

Yep.  I understand wanting to get to the point that someone somehow has over half the votes, bit when preferences are going to someone you may not support, but have no choice in throwing votes at them in a preference system.

Still happy she should be in.

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Hewson, didn't he lose an unlosable election?

And would have been in a three-way tussle with Fraser and Turnbull for their title of worst Liberal PM

Point being, the voters of Wentworth like their Liberals to lean to the left 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

I liked your previous version better. It's real and non politically correct. The world is going mad on political correctness.

Now... my daughter is a doing the HSC and wants to do nursing...... and did you know the do gooders out there are now proposing (and it may already be policy) that if you are attending to an indigenous person you have to thanks them etc etc etc similar to the line that everyone now does....I want to thank and show my respect to the original inhabitants of the Garigal nation etc etc etc ....what a load of bullshit.

Wait until she ends up in emergency and people come in with abdominal pain and she has to guess whether they're male or female

2 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Seems like where you see political correctness, I see a lack of respect calling someone by a derogatory name.

I don't know if what you say is correct, but it sure as hell doesn't justify the previous name calling.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

You can be offended by anything if you try hard enough...

Conversely, you don't have to try too hard to not offend people. 

• Like 4

Turning on the TV I thought the libs had won as they were celebrating, telling the world how good they were with riotous chants of "Scomo! Scomo! Scomo!" and it was only when Sharma says "if this is how we celebrate in defeat, imagine winning" (or some such) that I realised they had actually lost.  What a pack of complete wallies!  Like, pretending  you won somehow makes it better...?! 

I suppose Scomo can relent with the Jerusalem thing now with something like "I said I'd consider it, I have considered it, and we won't do it", What a complete d1ckhead.

22 minutes ago, Pete said:

Turning on the TV I thought the libs had won as they were celebrating, telling the world how good they were with riotous chants of "Scomo! Scomo! Scomo!" and it was only when Sharma says "if this is how we celebrate in defeat, imagine winning" (or some such) that I realised they had actually lost.  What a pack of complete wallies!  Like, pretending  you won somehow makes it better...?! 

You mean like Shorten's victory lap after the 2015 poll?

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

You mean like Shorten's victory lap after the 2015 poll?

yep, now that's a wally! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

It's not correct

https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article/2018/03/28/cultural-safety-not-about-saying-sorry-being-white-nurse-1

1 hour ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Well, according to your piece, nurses are expected to acknowledge their 'white privilege'

So we end up with yet another example of a group of people being treated differently solely due to their race in order to prevent racism...

Read it!

By "acknowledge" it simply means think about the difference between your culture, beliefs, and how you were raised, and theirs. Probably a courtesy anybody in a service role should be doing to anybody anyway, be they black, white or brown.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Read it!

By "acknowledge" it simply means think about the difference between your culture, beliefs, and how you were raised, and theirs. Probably a courtesy anybody in a service role should be doing to anybody anyway, be they black, white or brown.

I don't disagree

So why is there not a broader policy covering all patients? 

26 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I don't disagree

So why is there not a broader policy covering all patients? 

There is. It's called a Code of Conduct, and this is just a very small part of it.

5 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

You can be offended by anything if you try hard enough...

you didn't try hard enough, didn't slur the large Jewish population, or do they all vote Liberal?

What's the tipping point in terms of household income to qualify to be a true right-wing, climate-denying Jones-listening coalition voter? Wentworth has the highest percentage of high income families so they can just wipe their arse with 100 dollar bills reading their power bill at Darling point, how many $100K a year less than that becomes the threshold to worry about who you vote for, or what science you believe, or what legacy you leave for future generations? Maybe education level is starting to become negatively correlated with Liberal voting tendencies. The smart burghers of Warringah will vote Abbott out of office is my brave prediction.

47 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

There is. It's called a Code of Conduct, and this is just a very small part of it.

Cool

So why the need to specifically call out one group?

31 minutes ago, Parkside said:

you didn't try hard enough, didn't slur the large Jewish population, or do they all vote Liberal?

What's the tipping point in terms of household income to qualify to be a true right-wing, climate-denying Jones-listening coalition voter? Wentworth has the highest percentage of high income families so they can just wipe their arse with 100 dollar bills reading their power bill at Darling point, how many $100K a year less than that becomes the threshold to worry about who you vote for, or what science you believe, or what legacy you leave for future generations? Maybe education level is starting to become negatively correlated with Liberal voting tendencies. The smart burghers of Warringah will vote Abbott out of office is my brave prediction.

Is there a relevant point anywhere in that self-aggrandising waffle?

Edited by IronJimbo

On another topic.  so Bill is going to increase everyones wages.  thats amazing. he must have divine powers. we are not all union members Bill.   Love to know his plan.  

7 minutes ago, Prince said:

On another topic.  so Bill is going to increase everyones wages.  thats amazing. he must have divine powers. we are not all union members Bill.   Love to know his plan.  

Not give $50 billion of tax cuts to overseas investors

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

Yeah, that makes no sense whatsoever... 

2 hours ago, Parkside said:

I’m imagining Bill in the Lodge.......... Gillard as Governor General and Rudd Ambassador to the UN. Awesome.

I'm imagining ScoMo in the lodge, Trump in the White House and Kavanaugh on the bench

Oh, that's right.  I don't have to imagine 

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Was it even worth ScoMo moving in?

only to Kirribilli long enough to host the Sharks to a BBQ. Waste of a remove truck.

5 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

this will make no difference, except give bill more money for welfare.  actually, overseas investors are the ones that are keeping our country afloat. They are the ones with money.  Labor also doesn't believe in helping small to medium sized businesses, wages are also based on market value of the position.  If unemployment is low, and more small to medium businesses are encouraged to  grow and start up, the dollar value of a job increases. demand and supply.   there is something wrong in our country when we hardly  have any industry here, except for some dairy and farming.  no manufacturing, no car industry, no mining. 

• Like 1

Listening to scomo this morning talking electricity prices.  What exactly happened to them when the carbon tax was introduced, what happened to them when it was axed and what exactly has happened with them since the axing?

15 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Well, according to your piece, nurses are expected to acknowledge their 'white privilege'

So we end up with yet another example of a group of people being treated differently solely due to their race in order to prevent racism...

Mundine is now the self-appointed champ of white privilege.

So perhaps he can donate his white privilege arranged Horne fight purse to the Backtrack organisation up here who are doing something practical & effective to help indigenous youth?  $4M would help the organisation enormously.

19 minutes ago, goughy said:

Listening to scomo this morning talking electricity prices.  What exactly happened to them when the carbon tax was introduced, what happened to them when it was axed and what exactly has happened with them since the axing?

The carbon tax had a minimal impact on the prices.  What really sent them upwards is grid operators (AusGrid, Endeavour, Essential Energy in NSW) doing massive (and apparently unwarranted) upgrades to the network, because that is how they get more income - i.e. they can charge more for your daily access fee to be connected.  

So we have a network demand that is falling as more people install solar, more efficient devices, are more careful with their usage etc., but grid operators who are upscaling the grid capacity as if demand is increasing.

We also have a grid that struggles to cope with the shift from centralised coal generation, to decentralised renewable generation apparently.

Basically, we have grid operators who are incentivised to keep the old system & not adapt to the future of electricity generation/storage.

So what you're saying is that the electricity prices haven't really had anything to do with either govt.  Sure neither have stopped them going up, but can they actually do anything about that??

So is ScoMo saying that Labor is the cause of high electricity prices and you'll only have low prices under LNP  is a falsehood, cause neither can really do anything about it?  It seems silly to say they'll keep them down when they risen plenty the last few years?

I know this is a big issue for people, but if they can't do anything about them should they really even bother talking about them?  Why not just say that we can't do anything about it?  

9 minutes ago, goughy said:

So what you're saying is that the electricity prices haven't really had anything to do with either govt.  Sure neither have stopped them going up, but can they actually do anything about that??

Deregulating had a lot to do with price rises.

And the Qld Gov has had a lot to do with reining the prices in in SEQ, due to their deal with one of the retailers.

So in answer, yes Gov can does & have the ability to affect pricing.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Who deregulated them?  Which retailer did the Qld gov make a deal with?  We only have access to one retailer where I am so have no options to bargain.

19 minutes ago, goughy said:

Who deregulated them?  Which retailer did the Qld gov make a deal with?  We only have access to one retailer where I am so have no options to bargain.

They went in with Alinta, however I think it was only the Brisbane/GC/SC area. When they came in with a 25% discount, most of the others (in Brisbane) either matched it or went close. Rather than actually go to Alinta, I just made the motions too, and my existing retailer contacted me and offered me 28% discount.

1 hour ago, goughy said:

So is ScoMo saying that Labor is the cause of high electricity prices and you'll only have low prices under LNP  is a falsehood, cause neither can really do anything about it?  It seems silly to say they'll keep them down when they risen plenty the last few years?

I know this is a big issue for people, but if they can't do anything about them should they really even bother talking about them?  Why not just say that we can't do anything about it?  

No, the Fed Govt via the Australian Energy Regulator (AER) absolutely have everything to do with electricity prices, because they are the authority who ratify what the grid owners (Essential Energy etc) can charge customers for grid access.  Likewise, they also have to ratify what the retailers (Origin, AGL, Red Energy etc) can charge you for the electricity.  The grid owners and the retailers have to make a submission to the AER each year setting out their customer charges and justifying them.

But the biggest component of recent price hikes has been the grid access cost, not the per kWh cost of the actual electricity.

And guess what - the grid owners are corporatised state government agencies who have to make a return to the state govt treasury.  So both tiers are involved.

Edited by ComfortablyNumb

1 hour ago, goughy said:

We only have access to one retailer where I am so have no options to bargain.

That can't be right Goughy.  We have access to 29+ in NSW.  You would likely have access to only one grid operator, but you should have a wide choice of electricity retailers.

You do have a choice of retailers in Toowoomba:

https://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/what-you-might-not-know-about-power-prices-toowoom/3207568/

But, it seems the situation in Qld is different to NSW as the network operator Ergon (a Qld Govt entity) is also your default electricity retailer.  And if you leave Ergon for another retailer you can't go back.  Moreover, it seems the other retailers can't sell cheaper than Ergon by law. So Goughy, while you could change, why would you.  Talk about an anti-competitive debacle in Qld.

Get this!

"Under the Electricity Act 1994, a government entity cannot compete in a free retail market, so once a customer leaves Ergon Energy and transfers to another retailer the customer cannot transfer the property back to Ergon Energy," she said.

"In addition, Ergon Energy can never again sell electricity to the transferred property, even if the property is sold."

Just shows how fooked up our country is with different rules in different states.

I never really liked myself.  The Mrs and I have talked about it, but she said when she's checked that we're stuck with our only option.  Maybe she meant that we're already on the only decent option?

2 hours ago, goughy said:

So I guess South Australia having among the highest electricity prices in the developed world has nothing to do with their Labor government getting rid of coal?

And Victoria having large increases in the cost of electricity has nothing to do with their Labor government getting rid of coal?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

So I guess South Australia having among the highest electricity prices in the developed world has nothing to do with their Labor government getting rid of coal?

And Victoria having large increases in the cost of electricity has nothing to do with their Labor government getting rid of coal?

Is this another made up statistic, or have you just excluded a lot of developed countries from the list to make us the most expensive?

6 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Is this another made up statistic, or have you just excluded a lot of developed countries from the list to make us the most expensive?

South Australia will overtake Denmark as having the world's most expensive electricity when the country's major energy retailers jack up their prices this Saturday.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-28/sa-has-most-expensive-power-prices-in-the-world/8658434

Deflection in 3, 2, 1...

7 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Strange that you'd get your facts from a lefty socialist organisation like the ABC.

And that paragraph you quoted is quaint. Maybe they should have checked their facts first, but then when do any journalists.