Rocket Salad

The Politics Thread

Didn't MT have it too.   Having TA anywhere near a portfolio would be a stupid as move and would give him some validation for all the shit he stirred up!   Seriously, if Parliament was a restaurant he needs to have the table right beside the entrance to the toilets or the kitchen, and hopefully right under an air con vent!  But I don't think he's gonna quit, the guy is too much about himself for that.

12 hours ago, softy said:

I'm not close to Australian politics at all, but I find that it's pretty farked when the media ( cocks like Alan Jones and people like him ) can affect government outcomes. 

sorry, thats rubbish.  37 pathetic news polls in a row tell the real story. 

2 minutes ago, Prince said:

And were those polls of people that were influenced by the media?

17 hours ago, Parkside said:

My local member and coal fanboy. Could you see Abbots mouth moving while Kelly was speaking? 

Just when I thought Kelly's performance in trying to justify the coup was the dumbest thing I'd heard, along comes Dan Tehan on 7:30 last night as the 'and dumber'. He'd obviously managed to memorize: 'we are united and we are focused on the Australian people" but clearly, they don't know why it all went 'lord-of-the-flies' this week and he was completely incapable of a coherent sentence to explain it. Leigh Sales just gave up in the end.

8 minutes ago, Prince said:

Based on that measure, K Rudd should be our PM https://www.sbs.com.au/news/rudd-queries-newspoll-leadership-measure

20 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

And were those polls of people that were influenced by the media?

yep...we are all just dumb cows brainwashed by Alan jones.   yes Alan...I will do whatever you say Alan...you are my master...

Chris uhlman started this rubbish,  it is no secret there is any love lost between the ABC and Sky.  Sky does not even have the ratings to be such an influencer anyway. 

Edited by Prince
  • Like 1

I'm really hoping our local big name family win their legal case against Jones.  Would bring a smile to my face.

Just now, goughy said:

I'm really hoping our local big name family win their legal case against Jones.  Would bring a smile to my face.

absolutely,  they should win. He has no doubt cost them future projects

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Prince said:

yep...we are all just dumb cows brainwashed by Alan jones.   yes Alan...I will do whatever you say Alan...you are my master...

Chris uhlman started this rubbish,  it is no secret there is any love lost between the ABC and Sky.  Sky does not even have the ratings to be such an influencer anyway. 

Absolutely.  ABC, SBS and 10 all promote the left and have a much further reach than Jones or Bolt on Sky.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Prince said:

Yes... obviously the next NewsPoll will be much better than the last one:  LNP:76, Labor:69, Turnbull preferred PM to Shorten

Morgan Snap Poll: Turnbull preferred PM to Shorten, Shorten preferred PM to Dutton, ScoMo and Shorten equal.

Well played guys.

24 minutes ago, Prince said:

Fair point 10,000 maybe watch ti and around 200,000 listen to jonesy. This is pollies doing this to themselves by trying to win a news polls and using the number to their advantage.

Howard lost heaps of polls, Rudd lost one. By the rule of losing 30 plus, Howard should have been sacked and Rudd kept.

Or maybe Newspolls and we experts are full of crap

The average voter just hates arrogance and hypocrites.   they smell it a mile away.  It seems Chris Ulmann must have a very short memory.  it was Turnbull that rolled Abbott based on his loss of 30 news polls. It was Turnbull that hid in his house and left everyone waiting after he got less than the favourable result in the last election. It was Turnbull who was so surprised and upset that his party wanted a change of leader. It was Turnbull who then set a new rule of getting 43 names on a petition. It was Turnbull who then wanted to verify the names. It was Turnbull who blamed others in his parting speech.  The arrogance of the guy had not been seen since Rudd. 

The door is wide open for a leader with a bit of humility on either side.  Perhaps if they have a peak across the ditch to see what it looks like with the New Zealand PM and the deputy. 

7 minutes ago, Prince said:

The average voter just hates arrogance and hypocrites.   they smell it a mile away.  It seems Chris Ulmann must have a very short memory.  it was Turnbull that rolled Abbott based on his loss of 30 news polls.  it was Turnbull ...bla bla bla bla.. 

Abbott was rolled after he'd been given an ultimatum by his party and had narrowly avoided a spill motion by agreeing to conditions that he then failed meet - i.e. to change the way he and Credlin ran their office. Turnbull was given the green-light by that group, and that's the reason Arthur Sinodinos made the effort to be there yesterday. The newspoll thing was as spurious then, as it is now.

As for the rest of it, Turnbull knew he was gone and was just buying enough time for ScoMo to secure the numbers he needed.

1 hour ago, Prince said:

it was Turnbull that rolled Abbott based on his loss of 30 news polls. It was Turnbull that hid in his house and left everyone waiting after he got less than the favourable result in the last election. It was Turnbull who was so surprised and upset that his party wanted a change of leader. It was Turnbull who then set a new rule of getting 43 names on a petition. It was Turnbull who then wanted to verify the names. It was Turnbull who blamed others in his parting speech.  The arrogance of the guy had not been seen since Rudd.

Prince, did you watch Paul Murray last night on Sky. That's pretty much word for word what he said last night. But he said it over and over again for a couple hours.

41 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Prince, did you watch Paul Murray last night on Sky. That's pretty much word for word what he said last night. But he said it over and over again for a couple hours.

no, it was past my bedtime.  Paul Murray for some reason seems to love Abbott and Trump though, so I am not surprised.  I just think Turnbull never put the Liberal party first.  even immediately resigning to create a bi-election in the current state of the party is piss poor. anyone can see his behaviour is destructive and narcissistic. I don't need media to tell me that.  

42 minutes ago, Prince said:

Never put the liberal party first.... anyone can see his behaviour is destructive and narcissistic.

Sorry, I lost track.  Are you talking about MT or TA???? I can't tell!

Edited by goughy

1 hour ago, goughy said:

1 hour ago, goughy said:

MT. But have watched Paul Murray before and for some reason he loved Abbott.  

Thankyou Dr Phil, for the episode the other day discussing lying cues!

Just saw an interview with TA at his home having just arrived back from a bike ride!

The couple of times he said SM etc had his full support he was shaking his head damn hard, but when he said Bill Shorten was eminently beatable he nearly did a Linda Blair his head was shaking so far!  My wife was laughing so much, you could tell he didn't believe a word he was saying!  He must be stewing.

• Like 1

Do you think now that Dutton has a bit of time on his hands I should approach him as my local member to see what he can do about getting fixed line NBN into my estate? 

There was a 2nd conduit network put in for them by the developer, but they finished their fixed line footprint 400m down the road, and we are gazetted for wireless. The local Federal member is the person to talk to about this, but he's been a bit pre-occupied lately.

5 hours ago, Prince said:

The average voter just hates arrogance and hypocrites.   they smell it a mile away.  It seems Chris Ulmann must have a very short memory.  it was Turnbull that rolled Abbott based on his loss of 30 news polls. It was Turnbull that hid in his house and left everyone waiting after he got less than the favourable result in the last election. It was Turnbull who was so surprised and upset that his party wanted a change of leader. It was Turnbull who then set a new rule of getting 43 names on a petition. It was Turnbull who then wanted to verify the names. It was Turnbull who blamed others in his parting speech.  The arrogance of the guy had not been seen since Rudd. 

The door is wide open for a leader with a bit of humility on either side.  Perhaps if they have a peak across the ditch to see what it looks like with the New Zealand PM and the deputy. 

Haha... winston peters is the most arrogant prick of them all.. unlike most of yours though,  he also has more than half a brain,  politically and in general terms.. 

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Do you think now that Dutton has a bit of time on his hands I should approach him as my local member to see what he can do about getting fixed line NBN into my estate? 

There was a 2nd conduit network put in for them by the developer, but they finished their fixed line footprint 400m down the road, and we are gazetted for wireless. The local Federal member is the person to talk to about this, but he's been a bit pre-occupied lately.

Oh he wont be giving up.

1 hour ago, pieman said:

Haha... winston peters is the most arrogant prick of them all.. unlike most of yours though,  he also has more than half a brain,  politically and in general terms.. 

Yes Winston has actually achieved allot as collation king pin over the years. He knows how the system works and uses that system successfully.

Both Arden and previously Key were popular as leaders so people voted for there party. That is something that Australia lacks is the inspirational leader.

Julie Bishop has just been reported to be stepping down as Foreign Minister & will retire from politics at the next election.

One of the only Libs I've actually liked in recent years.

• Like 1

No surprise.  Labor will be giving her a cushy job when they get in.

16 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Julie Bishop has just been reported to be stepping down as Foreign Minister & will retire from politics at the next election.

One of the only Libs I've actually liked in recent years.

Next GG 

• Like 1

After such a great start, ending the drought, then cutting my electricity costs, Scott has now lost his first Newspoll. Luckily there won't be 30 before the next election. :)

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Hey look at that, BS is the preferred PM at the moment!!!!  Who'd have thunk it?

Are we really going to pretend that the public has made up their mind after two days?

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Are we really going to pretend that the public has made up their mind after two days?

What do you mean by that? They haven't even seen Bill as PM at all, yet he's in front. Preferred PM polls are a load of crap. How many people vote for a PM?

True IJ.  Just thought it was funny that he finally won a poll.

With regards to making their mind up after two days, how many polls in a row had it been?  Granted that didn't help the last election.

About 38 or so.  For a different leader pushing hopefully different policies

ScoMo obviously has a mountain to climb, but there is only one poll that counts

• Like 1

lol

Three boats per week arrive under Labor - "The boats can't be stopped"

One boat in five years arrives under the Liberals - "See, the boats can't be stopped..."

Are they stopped, or just turned around, and possibly sinking in someone else's waters?  If they're not even leaving Indonesia and Malaysia to head here, I'll applaud it as a big win.  

9 minutes ago, goughy said:

Are they stopped, or just turned around, and possibly sinking in someone else's waters?  If they're not even leaving Indonesia and Malaysia to head here, I'll applaud it as a big win.  

I rather doubt that three boats per week are still leaving Indonesia and/or Malaysia

Bear in mind that we were assured that turning boats around was impossible...

But we actually don't know!  Even your own comment is "I rather doubt".

My issue has always been with the smugglers themselves, and while I have no actual idea on the best way to solve the problem, I felt that's where it needed to be focused.  Not those escaping, but those aiding (for a lot of money).  So maybe it "solved the problem for Australia", while at the same time not solving any of the humanitarian issue at all?

Well we don't have bodies washing up on shore anywhere so we can probably be well assured that there aren't 100 boats aren't sinking at sea every year

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

.... but there is only one poll that counts

Ipsos?

Edited by Prince

Yes, possibly true.  Were there 100 sinking per year prior?

Again, we actually have no idea what's happening, other than the boats being stopped?  Is the fact that they aren't arriving on Australian shores the only thing that matters?  Is that it?  Head in the sand, didn't hear nothing so it didn't happen?  And why don't we talk about the ones that come here via other means and then just stay?  Aren't the just as many of them, or is it not sensational enough to report on?

images (3).jpeg

Well if we had 100 arrive here then there were 100 leaving, seem fair?  So either they're no longer leaving, they're landing somewhere that's not Australia (and where else would they want to go) or they're sinking.  If the people smugglers were selling a passage to Australia and their only product has been taken off the shelf how do you think business would be going?

There are no doubt more visa over-stayers but they're more difficult to find I guess.  When they are found though they are still deported but you don't have the issue of where to send them because their country of origin is fairly clear as are the risks to them.

But again, you have no idea what is happening, do you?  We are all making assumptions because we have no clue.

We could be turning 100 boats back for all we know, and all those people are now in Indonesia or who knows where.  Some could be sinking, once turned back we would have no clue?  

Hey, if the people smugglers have mostly stopped trying in Indonesia etc then that's a good thing.  As I said, I personally believe that's who we should be targeting.  But we can umm and ahh all we like, we all have no clue and only assumptions.

Me, is be shocked if they've stopped trying because the people they sell their product to are desperate and gullible and willing to try anything to get a better life (and I don't blame them for trying to come here).  Do you think the smugglers offer a money back guarantee if you don't get to Australia?  They couldn't care less for these people.

Seems Tony Abbott has all but admitted it was simply a personal vendetta against Malcolm. 

Must hold the party in high regard if he is prepared to ruin the party in order to get revenge on Malcolm. 

• Like 2

Well, it's not like we all didn't know that!  Unusual if he's kinda confirming it.  Can't fathom how he's still around, and that they're even giving him something to do!

can someone explain to me, if Turnbull is gone immediately, wouldn't the Libs have lost their majority? or have i counted wrong. 

5 minutes ago, Prince said:

can someone explain to me, if Turnbull is gone immediately, wouldn't the Libs have lost their majority? or have i counted wrong. 

He's yet to resign. I'd say he'll make sure it flows smoothly rather than just jump.

In breaking news, Abbott's sister is nominating for preselection.

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Can't fathom how he's still around, and that they're even giving him something to do!

Worse, is that he has said he intends to stick around. He plans to contest the next one, and no one is likely to challenge his pre-selection, so the only way he'll be gone is if his electorate actually vote him out, and that's not likely given how safe his seat still is, despite a -9% swing last time.

Yep, we're stuck with him.  Proving how much politics has become about protecting yourself rather than about country or service!  Not that that's surprising by any means.  About the only ones who have shown any gumption are the two greens who quit when their citizenship issues came up!  Everyone else stuck it out for themselves.