Rocket Salad

The Politics Thread

Wouldn't it be smart for Bishop to wait until after the election to grab the Liberal leadership in opposition then have a real shot at becoming the next Prime Minister after Shorten? 

• Like 4

I may be wrong but,  regardless what happens tomorrow, there has to be no doubt the general election will be in October as there is not much point having another bi-election following turnbulls vacancy. 

• Like 1

This is all a bit sily, Scomo splits or at least takes some dutton votes, Bishop keeps the moderates, meaning dutton struggles.Ah well the thiught of Julie Bishop schooling us sends me into raptures of drool🤤

3 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

This is all a bit sily, Scomo splits or at least takes some dutton votes, Bishop keeps the moderates, meaning dutton struggles.Ah well the thiught of Julie Bishop schooling us sends me into raptures of drool🤤

Credlin called Bishop, Turnbull in a skirt....

way to go to spoil a guys fantasy...I can't get this mental image out of my mind now.

for 18000 (peak figure) sky news watchers and some grumpy racists (maybe 200,000) and climate deniers who listen to Alan Jones (It's okay they will all be dead in the next 15 years)

We roll a sitting PM, it doe not feel like democracy

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Prince said:

Credlin called Bishop, Turnbull in a skirt....

way to go to spoil a guys fantasy...I can't get this mental image out of my mind now.

it does wreck it, I thought Julie liked pant suits

Joyce on TV lecturing Turnbull about remaining staunch and honouring his commitments, to see out the term. Can’t make up this stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

For those who want a dabble?

image.thumb.png.ca6ebd767be4596c1820a673df4f4ac8.png

You'd have to think ScoMo was good odds at $6. 

5 hours ago, goughy said:

This isn't under 5's sport!  This is the running of our country and has an effect on all our lives, and shouldn't be taken as lightly as that...

Maybe, but will it make any difference at all to the average person, as to who is actually running the country?

Do you experience a substantial change in your life and lifestyle when there's a change of government? They are all as bad as each other. Government will be government, and opposition will argue the opposition.

• Like 1

Someone has to say it, we've gone basically a day now without a government and things seem to still be working.  Do we even need a govt?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XCOM! said:

Coming from Abbott in a skirt...

And I just saw an ad with her for Sky News which is coming to Win tv on channel 83 soon.  Some earlier ads were to remind us to retune our TV's to get the new channel!

I won't be retuning!!

47 minutes ago, dazaau said:

You'd have to think ScoMo was good odds at $6. 

How does Cormann or Bermingham even get odds - as senators ?

11 minutes ago, XCOM! said:

How does Cormann or Bermingham even get odds - as senators ?

If you wanted to bet on Billy Slater to win the Melbourne cup, I'm sure there isn't a betting agency out there that wouldn't take your money

4 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

John Gorton

True enough - but I don't think that one exception to the rule justifies any current senator having money put on them.

Just now, Cottoneyes said:

If you wanted to bet on Billy Slater to win the Melbourne cup, I'm sure there isn't a betting agency out there that wouldn't take your money

Come in spinner.

9 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Meanwhile the rest of Australia just gets on with making the country work in some way or another......unlike the useless !@#$%#s of all political persuations who can't plan past the next Twitter message aimed at securing their fat pension.

1 hour ago, Cottoneyes said:

Someone has to say it, we've gone basically a day now without a government and things seem to still be working.  Do we even need a govt?

Snap 

9 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

unlike the useless !@#$%#s of all political persuations who can't plan past the next Twitter message aimed at securing their fat pension.

You do realise we have not elected a PM that has gone full term since Twitter was created.

Cormann as a compromise winner is very feasible. The constitution doesn’t even mention the office of PM - it only requires a Minister to be a member of either house within 3 months of appointment. It is only custom and practice that dictates that the PM be a member of the Reps. Gorton was sworn in as PM on the understanding that he’d win the byelection for Holts seat, vacated when he defected to China in a submarine. 

Cormann could roll everybody because of the current shitfight and Bishop seems destined to be dumped as Deputy. Cormann could a point her as ambassador to the UN, effective immediately on the understanding that he would be preselected into her seat, either at a GE or a byelection if he wants to delay the GE until next year. While the government would be down 2 MPs until the Bishop and Turnbull vacancies were filled, my impression is that the more conservative Cross benchers - Sharkie, McGowan and Katter would back the government on supply to maintain some sense of stability and order until the GE.

at the moment it doesn’t appear likely, but the government is a complete shambles tonight and anything could happen, including no party room meeting at all tomorrow and Turnbull going for a cuppa tea over the weekend with General Sir Pete and a snap election with Turnbull as both leader and PM ensuing where he campaigns for reelection in a platform of repudiating the Abbottabads behind the current mess whilst keeping Labor at bay. 

Edited by Andrew #1

9 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

including no party room meeting at all tomorrow and Turnbull going for a cuppa tea over the weekend with General Sir Pete and a snap election with Turnbull as both leader and PM 

I doubt he'd convince the GG that he had the support of his party to call an election.

Similarly, Dutton may have an issue convincing the GG he'd be able to guarantee supply as PM, given some have already said they'd defect to the X-Bench and Turnbull is going to pull the plug.

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

Sco-Mo!

He could probably convince the GG to call an election, but then he'd end up cutting his already short time as PM down even more, and for what purpose. Going to the polls now will decimate the Libs.

If Malcy survives tomorrow it will be because Dutton can’t muster 43 names on a petition. Malcy will easily convince the GG that he has both the confidence of his party - having won a leadership ballot by 48-35 only on Tuesday, and with his only declared challenger unable to prove that he has the numbers, and could be ineligible to sit as an MP as well. Malcy will also point to the fact that when tested this week his government has the confidence of the House. 

In in those circumstances the GG would instantly accept his advice to dissolve the House and call an election for the House and half senate. Sure the Libs would be decimated, but Malcy goes out on his feet, not his knees and it’s likely that the right wing would be more decimated. Especially if he campaigns against them as much as labor. Revenge!

The GG has to accept advice from the PM but doesn't have to believe him, or act with haste.

According to Antony Green: Were the Prime Minister to call an election to avoid being deposed by his party, the Governor-General would be bound to follow that advice, but would be aware of what was occurring. The early election request might be delayed by obfuscation and prevarication from Yarralumla ... It is unimaginable that Malcolm Turnbull would be prepared to go down in history as destroying his own government by sending it to an early election it couldn't win just to prevent losing the leadership.

PD's electoral office vandalised over night.  Not even surprised to hear this.  This is really a complete mess, with umpteen names going up, TA in the background for years being a petty bitch.  How they left him there always astounded me.  Even the Labor crap wasn't as bad as all this.

Edited by goughy
  • Like 1

NSFW

Edited by goughy
  • Like 1

David Pope, the Canberra Times

DlRWQtBVAAEKoHE.jpeg

I said earlier that this was like a movie reboot, cept they didn't change the script or up the action like they usually do.

I was wrong!  They definitely upped the suspense for the third act, and have hired WETA for the special effects!

Dutton is firming to $2.30, and Bishop has dropped to $2.15. 

And in other breaking news:

Hospitals around the country are overflowing with concussion patients, as ambulance drivers continue to bring in minor accident victims who can't answer their screening question "Who is the Australian Prime Minister?"

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Dutton is firming to $2.30, and Bishop has dropped to $2.15. 

And in other breaking news:

Hospitals around the country are overflowing with concussion patients, as ambulance drivers continue to bring in minor accident victims who can't answer their screening question "Who is the Australian Prime Minister?"

What about poor school kiddies who did their general knowledge test on Wednesday but the teachers haven't marked it yet. They will all get the Prime Minister question wrong. 

7 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Richard di Natale made a great speech to the Senate yesterday.

https://www.facebook.com/senatordinatale/

Like or loath the greens, that was a ripper.

Saying on the ABC that he only has 40 names on the sheet thus far.  I'd love to see what happens if the SG says there's questions about his position?

And some lib member has said he will be the 43rd signature on the paper, but only if it's needed (so I guess if they get to 42).  No ****ing balls in this lot!  Sign it or don't sign it.  But grow a pair.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, goughy said:

And some lib member has said he will be the 43rd signature on the paper, but only if it's needed (so I guess if they get to 42).  No ****ing balls in this lot!  Sign it or don't sign it.  But grow a pair.

Warren Entsch - the guy who ripped into TA the other day and champion of the same-sex bills - I don't think he can be accused of lacking a pair and is no supporter of the hard-right or this action, but says if they get to 42 he'll sign just to get it over with.

Fair enough then.  I'll stand corrected.  Anyone who'll give TA a serve is ok with me.

Edited by goughy

Kinda, but not quite!

They're reading the SG comments now, and while he believes it would be ok, but there are grey areas, that this is all new territory for section 44 and that really only the high Court can decide, and they might rule him out.

Just now, goughy said:

Kinda, but not quite!

Yeah, the SG gives an opinion, only the HC can make a decision.

However, MT probably needed a more negative opinion than this to significantly undermine Dutton.

• Like 1

Someone got a photo of the Libs at Parliament house today

images (5).jpeg

30 minutes ago, XCOM! said:

Yeah, the SG gives an opinion, only the HC can make a decision.

However, MT probably needed a more negative opinion than this to significantly undermine Dutton.

Correct

Law is all about interpretation, so it is only natural that the SC would note the possibility that the HC might see things differently

12 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Correct

Law is all about interpretation, so it is only natural that the SC would note the possibility that the HC might see things differently

yes, but the rabble on the other side won't accept him as PM and will be constantly putting doubt in voters mind. I would doubt the high court would even be able to determine the outcome before a few months. A general election and the campaign would most likely be well before they can rule. Therefore it would be a very dumb decision for the Libs to even consider him. 

3 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Julie looks to be out of the running. Pundits close to the ground say she won't survive the first round of voting.

image.png.5f9fcf7ad655777f1fa92a472fdc7b18.png

Wow, that's swung right around since last night.  JB was fav and ScoMo was the outsider, yeah?

4 minutes ago, Prince said:

yes, but the rabble on the other side won't accept him as PM and will be constantly putting doubt in voters mind. I would doubt the high court would even be able to determine the outcome before a few months. A general election and the campaign would most likely be well before they can rule. Therefore it would be a very dumb decision for the Libs to even consider him. 

Neither the rabble on the other side nor the media will accept him as PM regardless

And the likes of Chris Uhlmann won't see any irony in that whatsoever