Rocket Salad

The Politics Thread

So... Dutton's family trust has received $5.6M in commonwealth funding over the last 8 years for his childcare businesses, and he doesn't think that's a risk to sect-44 ?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, XCOM! said:

So... Dutton's family trust has received $5.6M in commonwealth funding over the last 8 years for his childcare businesses, and he doesn't think that's a risk to sect-44 ?

Apparently he has legal advice to that effect

If it was okay for Therese Rein's company to receive millions in government funding I'm not sure how it wouldn't be okay for Dutton's trust to do the same

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

If it was okay for Therese Rein's company to receive millions in government funding I'm not sure how it wouldn't be okay for Dutton's trust to do the same

I'm not sure why we as the taxpayers just accept that one side has to be better than the other instead of calling out bullshit no matter where it lays

3 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

I'm not sure why we as the taxpayers just accept that one side has to be better than the other instead of calling out bullshit no matter where it lays

I don't disagree, as long as what we define as bullshit is consistent

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I don't disagree, as long as what we define as bullshit is consistent

Inconsistent is a knee jerk reaction of "but the other side did" which both sides seem to think is what the voting public wants.  It really just makes the lot look like 5 year old jerks throwing a tanty

• Like 1

Consistently it's all bullshit, politics, isn't it?

Saying that Dutton is working the phones hard today, says they have 40 of the 43 needed...... Tomorrow morning it's on!

Edited by goughy

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Interesting couple of ideas on the policy front from Dutton this morning:

- Remove GST on power bills for families and retirees

- Royal commission into fuel and energy prices

Not sure what the effect of the GST exemption would have on the states and budget, but I can imagine the RC getting a bit of support

Option A) is worse than all of Turnbull's thought bubbles so far. Firstly, it is state revenue. Secondly, the GST base is shrinking. It needs to be expanded, it is a very efficient tax and removing electricity is almost indefensible.  Thirdly, while I understand people's aversion to additionally taxing energy, I struggle to see why you should essentially subsidies it, which is what removing the GST is essentially doing in comparison to other goods and services. 

Seriously he has lost me with this. (not that he ever really had me). I hope (and expect) someone else will put their hand up. ScoMo at lerast has some grasp of economics, perhaps he will. Although I think those who really want to be futures PMs (ScoMo and Maybe Bishop) are smart enough to know this is a poisoned chalice. 

I don't see any of this ending well at all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dazaau said:

I don't see any of this ending well at all.

Bill would disagree, but agree 100% with the rest of your post

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, XCOM! said:

Waiting for the tax-payer funded new coal-fired power-stations policy, to reduce the cost of electricity... 

Sounds better than an ETS to increase the cost of electricity...

Flicking through the channels last night and I came across Paul Murray on Sky. What a load of propaganda that guy's was spewing out for Dutton. That guy's gunna get a serious hard-on if Dutton gets over the line later this week.

Word is that the LNP are well short of their campaign funding targets, and that going to a early election with Dutton could present a real problem for them. I can't see MT chipping in with another $1.75M if they kick him out.

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Interesting couple of ideas on the policy front from Dutton this morning:

- Remove GST on power bills for families and retirees

- Royal commission into fuel and energy prices

Not sure what the effect of the GST exemption would have on the states and budget, but I can imagine the RC getting a bit of support

oh dear....I hope Dutton is not just a cowboy. 

46 minutes ago, XCOM! said:

Waiting for the tax-payer funded new coal-fired power-stations policy, to reduce the cost of electricity... 

... and then a package to help farmers suffering from the effects of climate change.   

46 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Flicking through the channels last night and I came across Paul Murray on Sky. What a load of propaganda that guy's was spewing out for Dutton. That guy's gunna get a serious hard-on if Dutton gets over the line later this week.

no, he has just always hated MT from the very start. 

8 minutes ago, roxii said:

... and then a package to help farmers suffering from the effects of climate change.   

110 years ago, droughts and flooding rains were considered commonplace enough to be used as defining characteristics

Now we blame both on plant food...

So, are Dutton's wife's Childcare Centres actually hers, or were they moved across to her to get them out of his name? When he left the police force it was to run the Childcare Centre Business he & his father had set up?

4 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

So, are Dutton's wife's Childcare Centres actually hers, or were they moved across to her to get them out of his name?

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/dutton-childcare-company-received-5-6-million-in-public-money-20180822-p4zyy6.html

Reading that, they are ultimately owned by RHT Family Trust, of which Dutton is a beneficiary.

5 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Sounds better than an ETS to increase the cost of electricity...

power was cheaper under the carbon tax

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

between him and alan jones not sure which ine is getting more excited. Though if the pair of them did an interview with the candidate they would be overcome with mutual excitement

7 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

She actually sold the Australian arm of her company before the 2007 election, so there was not even an indirect benefit from government contracts when he was PM. Further, KRudd was never a shareholder or director either, so S.44 never came into play, even before that election. Dutton has an equitable interest via his trust, so it could be problematic, but given the likely imminent election all he needs to do is get the trust to divest from the child care centres and he should be ok after parliament is prorogued and before he nominates at the next election. 

Edited by Andrew #1

Maybe tonight's the night!  Word is a petition is going around right now and with 43 plus names on it the can force the vote.  Could even be tonight.

37 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Dutton has an equitable interest via his trust, so it could be problematic, but given the likely imminent election all he needs to do is get the trust to divest from the child care centres and he should be ok after parliament is prorogued and before he nominates at the next election. 

SMH: In another big development tonight, Attorney-General Christian Porter has confirmed he is seeking advice from the solicitor-general on Peter Dutton's eligibility to sit in Parliament.

My boss and around 15 other CEOs from Australian companies had today scheduled to be in Canberra with the AI Group, breakfast as a group with PM and Treasurer, and then one on one meetings with various ministers throughout the day to talk about their particular portfolios and impacts on Australian business. 

I spent 2 days last week preparing points for him to speak to Dutton on about the short sighted new TSS schemes which we've had to deal with a few times over the last few months.  He was also meeting with Ciobo, Hunt and a few others who's names have all made the press the last few days for the wrong reasons. 

Let's just say we've all been getting our emails responded to fairly quickly since mid morning

I remember turning the radio on one morning a few years ago and being shocked that Gillard had taken over as PM. It's becoming a bit of a thing these days.

Maybe tomorrow?

Dutton will be PM by the end of the day I think. God help us.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I remember turning the radio on one morning a few years ago and being shocked that Gillard had taken over as PM. It's becoming a bit of a thing these days.

Maybe tomorrow?

Saw a meme doing the rounds "Remember with change of prime ministers, it's time to also change the battery in your smoke detector"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ABC says as of last night the petition only had 3 of the 43 signatures it needed.

Top newspaper headline today, "The Panic Dutton"

18 hours ago, XCOM! said:

Richard Torbay, Northern Tablelands State MP & speaker of the House ($400K salary) anyone?  Financial interests in several properties that were leased to the C'Wlth Govt as Centrelinks.  (allegedly of course 😉).  Conveniently resigned before the ICAC inquiry & just before the AFP arrived so apparently he still qualifies for his $300K pension.  Still awaiting the ICAC inquiry - they got a bit sidetracked with the rest of the Leb Mafia.

A NP pollie has come out and said that if Dutton wins the leadership, he will not stand by the govt and will sit with the cross benches.  It really is all looking messier and messier..... if that's possible?  I would have thought the NP would love Dutton??

Edited by goughy

1 hour ago, goughy said:

ABC says as of last night the petition only had 3 of the 43 signatures it needed.

Top newspaper headline today, "The Panic Dutton"

ABC talking to one of Dutton's backers at the moment. Dutton has asked for a party room meeting this morning & Mal refused. Obviously he doesn't have the numbers to force it.

I think the only thing saving Turnbull at the moment is the section 44 risk. There would be a few that won't risk having their PM excluded from parliament & having to sit a by-election which he could lose. 

And just imagine if he's ruled ineligible. He'll get rid of the day care centres & stand the by-election, and Mal will have to come out and give him his full backing, just to try to keep the seat & retain numbers.

• Sad 1

It's hard to say what would happen!  How many pollies said they had legal advice regarding their citizenship status yet got booted?  The only way to know for sure is to go to the high court now.

2 hours ago, AA7 said:

Dutton will be PM by the end of the day I think. God help us.

put out your potatoes...

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

And just imagine if he's ruled ineligible.

Brilliant! - we've had just about everything else, let's have a PM made ineligible and lose a by-election.

As Catherine Murphy said today, they are squabbling over who will lead them to an election defeat.

Hopefully Turnbull will step down and leave an empty chair for Scomo to put his hand up. I don't think Mr Potato Head is up to the job.   

1 minute ago, Prince said:

Hopefully Turnbull will step down and leave an empty chair for Scomo to put his hand up. I don't think Mr Potato Head is up to the job.   

ScoMo is a genuinely stupid happy clapper. 

Cormann is the sharpest in a shed of particularly blunt tools. 

1 hour ago, goughy said:

It's hard to say what would happen!  How many pollies said they had legal advice regarding their citizenship status yet got booted?  The only way to know for sure is to go to the high court now.

The citizenship stuff was different though, because vetting, or something...

Cormann says that Dutton is the best person to lead the Liberal Party to the next election.

It must be those dead eyes, blank angry face, anus mouth and mid distance stares. What a guy. ...

• Like 2

Interesting stuff.  They (people who had supported him) went to him last night and basically asked him to step down.... no second spill!  Seems they like his sudden spill on Tuesday didn't go down well!

Everyone's jumping ship.  Going down faster than that old navy ship of the Qld coast a few weeks ago!

Honestly, having seen the new of the last period Labor were in power, this is frickin hilarious, and an embarrassment at the same time.  How the hell they can go all copy cat is unfathomable!  The same with the leadership, even the election results are similar!  Fricking jokes the lot of them.

4 minutes ago, goughy said:

Honestly, having seen the new of the last period Labor were in power, this is frickin hilarious, and an embarrassment at the same time.  How the hell they can go all copy cat is unfathomable!  The same with the leadership, even the election results are similar!  Fricking jokes the lot of them.

The common link is, of course, a leftist at the helm

Just now, IronJimbo said:

The common link is, of course, a leftist at the helm

If by left you mean anything left of Attila the Hun

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Right about now, MT must be lying on the floor in his office, kicking and screaming, throwing a tantrum, and crying "I won't go, you can't make me, I won't I won't I won't I won't I won't I won't!!!"

2 minutes ago, lawman said:

Dear Bill,

Let me congratulate you in advance.

Because Tony Abbott was unelectable

So was Donald Trump

So was brexit...

3 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

If by left you mean anything left of Attila the Hun

By left I mean a supposed Liberal pushing Labor policy