Rocket Salad

The Politics Thread

Now I'm no fan of Lauren Southern but if this is true then I think it's bullshit. Highly religious? Oh I see there's religious and then there's highly religious is there? And if it's highly religious then everyone better just STFU and stay away.

“I’ve got grave concerns that you may cause an imminent breach of the peace down there, so I’m asking you not to attend,” Inspector Rick Agius told the broadcaster.

“It’s highly religious down there... your presence may cause (locals) to be offensive, to be objective of you attending there. You’re not welcome in there.”

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/youre-not-welcome-southerns-runin-with-sydney-police/news-story/2b2fbdeac65fad76b11ffa3dd176dfac

Maybe worded poorly - obviously she wanted to cause shit and that's what the cops were probably worried about - that she intended to try and stir shit up.  As far as her commenting that people were watching her etc - go down any street anywhere with a heap of security and a film crew and people are gonna be watching and checking you out.  Even more so when they have to squint really hard while they try and work out who she actually is, cause they have no clue!

Kardashian syndrome at it's best - when you've promoted yourself so much you become someone when you're actually no-one.

So no protesting any more?  Cos you know that might be stirring up shit. If we've lost the right to protest then it's a sad day indeed. 

It's like those muppets up here at Kuraby recently.

If you're deliberately going to a place to stir up shit, and the cops have a reasonable understanding of that situation, they'll advise you against it.

In the end, she walked where she wanted.

Some coppers stopped her and had a chat before she went to the mosque, but she was able to go wherever she wanted.

The fact she got FA resistance means she had to make up another story about it.

• Like 1

So protesters who go to her events to stir up shit. Do the police stop them? 

On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 2:25 PM, Merv said:

Was working at the Sheraton Mirage during the Comm Games.  Malcom Turnbull arrived for a meeting and was greated with a moderate to low level of personal security.  Bill Shorten arrives and nobody gave a flying phuck.  Could have got taken out by a sniper and nobody would have cared.

That's because he would have had the place vetted

And we all know that Bill does vetting better than anyone

• Haha 1

On ‎30‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 10:33 PM, A2K said:

So protesters who go to her events to stir up shit. Do the police stop them? 

Well yes, but then they send her the bill

Yeah, that bit I don't agree with.

The bill should go to the protest directors/arrangers for sure.

Those muppets who closed the freeway down for example, they should be paying through the nose.

OK, so he really must be a dead set goof!  Complained endlessly when the media kept on at his personal life, begging them to leave him alone!  And held endless press conferences to say that!  Now, finally things are dying down and he's released a book and is doing the media rounds promoting it!  WTF BJ, I swear you deserve to not sell a single copy of it, and anyone who wants to read it needs their head checked!  Just let him die down into the obscurity he deserves...

• Thanks 1

So, US growth figures hit 4.1%.

And they said that was impossible. 

Clearly not.  

So much for the opinion of a leftist Nobel prize winning economist. 

On 09/08/2018 at 6:55 AM, goughy said:

OK, so he really must be a dead set goof!  Complained endlessly when the media kept on at his personal life, begging them to leave him alone!  And held endless press conferences to say that!  Now, finally things are dying down and he's released a book and is doing the media rounds promoting it!  WTF BJ, I swear you deserve to not sell a single copy of it, and anyone who wants to read it needs their head checked!  Just let him die down into the obscurity he deserves...

It's officially a joke that the Nationals have not removed his preselection.  Shame that the people of New England seem to get dud after dud representatives for the last 2 decades - fantastic part of the world and the birthplace of our federation that deserves better

The difference in the treatment of Joyce and that dished out to Husar the past couple of weeks have been stark.

32 minutes ago, Tyno said:

The difference in the treatment of Joyce and that dished out to Husar the past couple of weeks have been stark.

Elaborate

Unsubstantiated internal complaint was front page splash and subsequent "not proven" finding barely made a ripple, but she still got pushed from her seat.

Vs the Barnaby's now admitted pissed up lechery and affair got him re-elected and book deal.

Plus 8-12 months of media silence because it wasn't a public interest issue.

Women just don't belong in politics........

Note: I meant that sarcastically, tongue in check, and still just got struck by lightning and my wife will berate me later for that too...

So is Dutton going to stand against Turnbull?

If so, will he move to a safe Gold Coast seat, or will they rely on his vote improving due to being the PM? Could he be the 2nd sitting PM in recent history to lose his seat in an election?

Smoke and mirrors Ex, Dutton has to be the diversionary tactic from the right's real intended challenger unless they are planning on being happy with 8 seats in the next parliament.  Absolute suicide to put someone from a portfolio that brings out such strong opinions both ways in voters so close to an election with little time to show their 'other' side

Put Dutton in and BS would be polling as preferred pm within a week.  MT isn't going anywhere till they lose an election.

Actually, I say roll him!  How familiar would this sound.....

1) Win an election outright     2) roll the winning leader and put another in place   3) go to next election and hold power by the skin of your teeth     4) roll the new leader  5) lose next election outright....

I could swear we've been through this before?

And they'd have to take back any comments they made about the Lab leadership changes ;)

storm in a tea cup. Abbott will be behind pushing Dutton and he is trying to seize the moment due to a small group of libs opposed to the NEG. There may be 8 members that are not happy so there will be no numbers as they know its Abbott behind this. These 8 will probably not even have the balls to cross the floor over the NEG anyway, though I do wish it was voted down. Unfortunately, I think Labor will possibly support it as it plays into their hands to put a higher percentage of renewables on the table when they or if they get in.  

Regardless, be ready for your energy bills to rise and rise. Thats the cost we will all have to pay for 'greener' energy in the future. meanwhile we are exporting our coal to the Indians and china at ridiculously cheap prices. If only we could use it here, we would have cheaper energy for sometime to come and a boost to our morning industry, and it would buy some time for us to get a real plan for the future.  but that requires a leader with Kahoonas, instead of these two num nuts. 

Why exactly don't we have nuc?

I agree, all the banter is for naught! Just thought it would be funny.

26 minutes ago, goughy said:

Why exactly don't we have nuc?

I think we should have but we are all playing catchup now. some other countries had this planned out 20 years ago. even the newer coal stations have massively lower emissions now. the government has now given the green light for renewables so that is what they will invest in but they will ask for large subsidies from the government to make it work, so if Turnbull pulls off his promise to reduce our energy bills, we will pay through higher taxes.  

As I write this, I have just heard that Turnbull may dump the Paris Agreement targets. Hallelujah.   If this is really the case, it puts the pressure back on Labor, and may at least give voters a clear decision to make come Election Day.  That would be great for democracy. Its when these two nobs try and have similar policies, based on what they believe to be the popularist vote that people get angry and confused and vote for the minor parties. 

so, its over to short pants to see if he will move with Turnbull. Most likely, he will wait and see what the 'pub test' on this latest move by Turnbull will be, if it is true. I have my doubts that it would be though. 

Edited by Prince

The problem with coal (other than the obvious climate issues) is that existing infrastructure is either at the end of its 50-year life-span (or fast approaching it) and the new-build cost/kw for coal is already more expensive than renewables (assuming no subsidies for any tech) which is why there is no desire to build new coal generation.

2 minutes ago, XCOM! said:

The problem with coal (other than the obvious climate issues) is that existing infrastructure is either at the end of its 50-year life-span (or fast approaching it) and the new-build cost/kw for coal is already more expensive than renewables (assuming no subsidies for any tech) which is why there is no desire to build new coal generation.

yes, true, and no private company will invest in something with a short lifespan. Elon Musk will be licking his lips about now. 

1 hour ago, Prince said:

storm in a tea cup. Abbott will be behind pushing Dutton and he is trying to seize the moment due to a small group of libs opposed to the NEG. There may be 8 members that are not happy so there will be no numbers as they know its Abbott behind this. These 8 will probably not even have the balls to cross the floor over the NEG anyway, though I do wish it was voted down. Unfortunately, I think Labor will possibly support it as it plays into their hands to put a higher percentage of renewables on the table when they or if they get in.  

Regardless, be ready for your energy bills to rise and rise. Thats the cost we will all have to pay for 'greener' energy in the future. meanwhile we are exporting our coal to the Indians and china at ridiculously cheap prices. If only we could use it here, we would have cheaper energy for sometime to come and a boost to our morning industry, and it would buy some time for us to get a real plan for the future.  but that requires a leader with Kahoonas, instead of these two num nuts. 

prices doubled since the carbon tax was axed