Jump to content
Rocket Salad

The Politics Thread

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, goughy said:

I don't think Labor will refer them, but it would surprise me to see the Greens vote with the Libs to get it referred, since they started the whole thing and so far are about the only ones who straight up did the right thing (unless the Labor ones meet the high courts requirements). 

They have to be referred otherwise it will stay alive and the last thing Shortpants needs is this issue being around like a bad smell like Dastyari.  Take note though, short pants disappears from all media conferences when things are not so good for him. 

 

the thing is he was ridiculous to come out a few months ago and say the Labor party had all these checks and he said 'nothing to see here'. The media are all over this and won't let it go.  He just comes across as completely lacking any credibility whatsoever. The story is not the citizenship fiasco. The story is his arrogance. 

Edited by Prince

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Prince said:

the thing is he was ridiculous to come out a few months ago and say the Labor party had all these checks and he said 'nothing to see here'. The media are all over this and won't let it go.  He just comes across as completely lacking any credibility whatsoever. The story is not the citizenship fiasco. The story is his arrogance. 

Whilst I have no doubt at least 1 of these is likely to go, could you imagine how his arrogance would step up to a new level if the high court says they are all OK?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Whilst I have no doubt at least 1 of these is likely to go, could you imagine how his arrogance would step up to a new level if the high court says they are all OK?

Yes.  That is not hard to imagine.

He is still guilty though no matter what the high court says.  He said there was no one in any doubt  and it appears there are some that have just as much doubt over them as any that have already gone to the high court.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see that yesterday the High Court published the reasons for rejecting Hollie Hughes and it's clear they are continuing to take a very literal interpretation of s44 etc ( black-letter law?) and this could impact a few more hoping for some wiggle-room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2017 at 9:49 AM, goughy said:

Labor claiming 47 seats in Qld, but LNP not conceding yet so they can't claim victory.

48th seat just handed to Labor, can they call it done now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

48th seat just handed to Labor, can they call it done now?

But, the article I read yesterday had the official ECQ results only calling 34 seats total.

Its a farce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

48th seat just handed to Labor, can they call it done now?

But were they all born in QLD and, if not, renounced their allegiance to other States (especially NSW)??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, truck said:

But were they all born in QLD and, if not, renounced their allegiance to other States (especially NSW)??

We accept them if they came from Tas....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, truck said:

But were they all born in QLD and, if not, renounced their allegiance to other States (especially NSW)??

As long as they played their first game of senior football here it's fine. ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, truck said:

But were they all born in QLD and, if not, renounced their allegiance to other States (especially NSW)??

Was this the watered down solution Campbell put in place that only people with a surname of Newman or Bjelke-Peterson were able to run for office?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Section 44 is plain and simple. Renounce citizenship of another country to be eligible to enter OUR parliament. Take all reasonable steps (prior to nominating as a candidate) to ensure that you meet the requirements under 44.

Will gallagher be okay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Soooooo, if I get this right...

 

Barnaby Joyce abstains from voting on SSM because he believes in the sanctity of marriage and then reveals he has separated from his wife of 20+ years

Ummmmmm WTF?????? 

 

These are the people we pay to run the country!!!!

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My local member - Broadbent, was one of the four that chose to vote against the bill.  64% of his electorate voted yes in the survey - has not gone down well in the community and I get the impression it won't be forgotten at the next federal election which could prove a headache for Malcolm with things so close

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, roxii said:

Soooooo, if I get this right...

 

Barnaby Joyce abstains from voting on SSM because he believes in the sanctity of marriage and then reveals he has separated from his wife of 20+ years

Ummmmmm WTF?????? 

 

These are the people we pay to run the country!!!!

 

Makes perfect sense ..... off to marry his secret male lover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a just stunned at them all jumping for joy in parliament after not being able to make a decision themselves, and or voting against it. 

 

As for abstaining, has to be the most gutless act of all. Simply not wanting to go into the history books as a hater even though you are. 

 

As for Barnaby, once a kiwi, always a kiwi....lol.  I actually like him, nine time out of ten he is wearing his heart on his sleeve with an opinion unlike those others that submit their views for career. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, lawman said:

Makes perfect sense ..... off to marry his secret male lover.

Hang on a minute,  wasn't there talk of all this leading to people wanting to marry animals and stuff. 

Now we know Barnaby is a kiwi, and newly single, maybe he is going to be the first to test this out. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, roxii said:

Hang on a minute,  wasn't there talk of all this leading to people wanting to marry animals and stuff. 

Now we know Barnaby is a kiwi, and newly single, maybe he is going to be the first to test this out. 

Yes, that was what Cory Bernardi was saying. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

My local member - Broadbent, was one of the four that chose to vote against the bill.  64% of his electorate voted yes in the survey - has not gone down well in the community and I get the impression it won't be forgotten at the next federal election which could prove a headache for Malcolm with things so close

Probably even things out when you take into consideration the 4 or was it 5 ? Western Sydney seats (strong Chinese Christian, Muslim areas) whose labor members voted against the will of their electorate 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two elderly people in the cafe this morning when I was getting my coffee, decrying where Australia has gone with this, saying the whole country is now in trouble, pitying what is going  to happen to the poor school kiddies and what they are now going to be taught and that old gem "soon they'll all be asking for 3 or 4 to get married so they can do 'their things' together".   Apart from the abhorrent bigotry, what the **** does that even mean!

Took every ounce of my restraint not to launch.  Maybe I should have let fly.

 

Edited by lawman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, lawman said:

Two elderly people in the cafe this morning when I was getting my coffee, decrying where Australia has gone with this, saying the whole country is now in trouble, pitying what is going  to happen to the poor school kiddies and what they are now going to be taught and that old gem "soon they'll all be asking for 3 or 4 to get married so they can do 'their things' together".   Apart from the abhorrent bigotry, what the **** does that even mean!

Took every ounce of my restraint not to launch.  Maybe I should have let fly.

 

No doubt people who proudly claim to have lived through the hippy years and the summer of love. But thats different!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×