Rocket Salad

The Politics Thread

2 hours ago, goughy said:

I don't think Labor will refer them, but it would surprise me to see the Greens vote with the Libs to get it referred, since they started the whole thing and so far are about the only ones who straight up did the right thing (unless the Labor ones meet the high courts requirements). 

They have to be referred otherwise it will stay alive and the last thing Shortpants needs is this issue being around like a bad smell like Dastyari.  Take note though, short pants disappears from all media conferences when things are not so good for him. 

the thing is he was ridiculous to come out a few months ago and say the Labor party had all these checks and he said 'nothing to see here'. The media are all over this and won't let it go.  He just comes across as completely lacking any credibility whatsoever. The story is not the citizenship fiasco. The story is his arrogance. 

Edited by Prince

18 minutes ago, Prince said:

the thing is he was ridiculous to come out a few months ago and say the Labor party had all these checks and he said 'nothing to see here'. The media are all over this and won't let it go.  He just comes across as completely lacking any credibility whatsoever. The story is not the citizenship fiasco. The story is his arrogance. 

Whilst I have no doubt at least 1 of these is likely to go, could you imagine how his arrogance would step up to a new level if the high court says they are all OK?

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Whilst I have no doubt at least 1 of these is likely to go, could you imagine how his arrogance would step up to a new level if the high court says they are all OK?

Yes.  That is not hard to imagine.

He is still guilty though no matter what the high court says.  He said there was no one in any doubt  and it appears there are some that have just as much doubt over them as any that have already gone to the high court.

I see that yesterday the High Court published the reasons for rejecting Hollie Hughes and it's clear they are continuing to take a very literal interpretation of s44 etc ( black-letter law?) and this could impact a few more hoping for some wiggle-room.

On 12/6/2017 at 9:49 AM, goughy said:

Labor claiming 47 seats in Qld, but LNP not conceding yet so they can't claim victory.

48th seat just handed to Labor, can they call it done now?

10 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

But, the article I read yesterday had the official ECQ results only calling 34 seats total.

Its a farce.

51 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

But were they all born in QLD and, if not, renounced their allegiance to other States (especially NSW)??

1 hour ago, truck said:

But were they all born in QLD and, if not, renounced their allegiance to other States (especially NSW)??

We accept them if they came from Tas....

1 hour ago, truck said:

As long as they played their first game of senior football here it's fine. ;)

1 hour ago, truck said:

Was this the watered down solution Campbell put in place that only people with a surname of Newman or Bjelke-Peterson were able to run for office?

Section 44 is plain and simple. Renounce citizenship of another country to be eligible to enter OUR parliament. Take all reasonable steps (prior to nominating as a candidate) to ensure that you meet the requirements under 44.

Will gallagher be okay

Soooooo, if I get this right...

Barnaby Joyce abstains from voting on SSM because he believes in the sanctity of marriage and then reveals he has separated from his wife of 20+ years

Ummmmmm WTF?????? 

These are the people we pay to run the country!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My local member - Broadbent, was one of the four that chose to vote against the bill.  64% of his electorate voted yes in the survey - has not gone down well in the community and I get the impression it won't be forgotten at the next federal election which could prove a headache for Malcolm with things so close

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roxii said:

Soooooo, if I get this right...

Barnaby Joyce abstains from voting on SSM because he believes in the sanctity of marriage and then reveals he has separated from his wife of 20+ years

Ummmmmm WTF?????? 

These are the people we pay to run the country!!!!

Makes perfect sense ..... off to marry his secret male lover.

I’m a just stunned at them all jumping for joy in parliament after not being able to make a decision themselves, and or voting against it. 

As for abstaining, has to be the most gutless act of all. Simply not wanting to go into the history books as a hater even though you are. 

As for Barnaby, once a kiwi, always a kiwi....lol.  I actually like him, nine time out of ten he is wearing his heart on his sleeve with an opinion unlike those others that submit their views for career. 

44 minutes ago, lawman said:

Makes perfect sense ..... off to marry his secret male lover.

Hang on a minute,  wasn't there talk of all this leading to people wanting to marry animals and stuff. 

Now we know Barnaby is a kiwi, and newly single, maybe he is going to be the first to test this out. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, roxii said:

Hang on a minute,  wasn't there talk of all this leading to people wanting to marry animals and stuff. 

Now we know Barnaby is a kiwi, and newly single, maybe he is going to be the first to test this out. 

Yes, that was what Cory Bernardi was saying. 

3 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

My local member - Broadbent, was one of the four that chose to vote against the bill.  64% of his electorate voted yes in the survey - has not gone down well in the community and I get the impression it won't be forgotten at the next federal election which could prove a headache for Malcolm with things so close

Probably even things out when you take into consideration the 4 or was it 5 ? Western Sydney seats (strong Chinese Christian, Muslim areas) whose labor members voted against the will of their electorate 

Two elderly people in the cafe this morning when I was getting my coffee, decrying where Australia has gone with this, saying the whole country is now in trouble, pitying what is going  to happen to the poor school kiddies and what they are now going to be taught and that old gem "soon they'll all be asking for 3 or 4 to get married so they can do 'their things' together".   Apart from the abhorrent bigotry, what the **** does that even mean!

Took every ounce of my restraint not to launch.  Maybe I should have let fly.

Edited by lawman

12 minutes ago, lawman said:

Two elderly people in the cafe this morning when I was getting my coffee, decrying where Australia has gone with this, saying the whole country is now in trouble, pitying what is going  to happen to the poor school kiddies and what they are now going to be taught and that old gem "soon they'll all be asking for 3 or 4 to get married so they can do 'their things' together".   Apart from the abhorrent bigotry, what the **** does that even mean!

Took every ounce of my restraint not to launch.  Maybe I should have let fly.

No doubt people who proudly claim to have lived through the hippy years and the summer of love. But thats different!!