Rocket Salad

The Politics Thread

On 10/13/2017 at 6:12 PM, goughy said:

Cottoneyes, I'd have agreed with you once, but the Libs are a mess and While I'm not a liberal voter, I truly expected MT to have been completely different than he has. Quite frankly the weakest thing he's done is allow TA to keep shooting his mouth off. He's showed the extreme right of his party that he has nothing. If he'd reigned him in from the very start, or forced him out, he'd have stamped his authority. But now, I won't say he will, but I believe Labor could win with BS as leader. But again, I think it'll be people voting against the LNP rather than for Labor. Of course, those voters could just turn to the nutbag fringe...

I'd agree with you to an extent Goughy.  The libs are divided, it's been going on for at least 25 years now between the right and the centrists and it's really starting to get ugly.  The best thing for them to do in the short term is to stand 2 candidates in every electorate and flow preferences to each other.  The right gets to choose one, the left gets to choose one and let the voters decide the direction of the party.  It's the only way the likes of Abbott and the other Howard Cling-ons are going to be moved out of their seats.  Long term the party needs to split if the current generation don't die out quickly

But you are right about voting against a party, I voted to get Howard out (a few times in the hope of getting Costello longer term), I voted to get Gillard and then Rudd out.  I voted for Turnbull last time which is probably the first time in over a decade I gave a positive vote.  At the moment I would vote to keep Shorten out of the chair if there was an election tomorrow, unless I sat in a seat with a right wing lib member in which case I would vote to get them out.  (Note when I say vote, it's with preferences, I have only once voted for a major party first after checking on the candidates)

And Andrew - don't go giving Labor all the credit "for being in the game", credit where credit is due and Abbott gets a good portion of that.  Yes, the Kumbuya around the labor campfire did help

I don't know enough about how the elections work, but what kind of effect would it have running two candidates giving each other their preferences? Would it be a risk to the seat???

no no no.  Its not anything to do with Charisma or lack of. People don't like Shortpants as he is not believable. People won't listen to him. Turnbull is no better. 

• Like 1

I used to believe the words coming out of TA's mouth (at least, I believe he believes them). Problem was they were batshit crazy. The most sense he makes is when he's eating an onion.

1 hour ago, goughy said:

I used to believe the words coming out of TA's mouth (at least, I believe he believes them). Problem was they were batshit crazy. The most sense he makes is when he's eating an onion.

He didn't even make sense when he was saying nothing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

He didn't even make sense when he was saying nothing.

I cant think of worse thing in the history of our prime ministers, its worse than john howards bowling.

1 hour ago, Oompa Loompa said:

I cant think of worse thing in the history of our prime ministers, its worse than john howards bowling.

Or Bob Hawke's hooking.

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Or Bob Hawke's hooking.

i didnt mind that, I wouldnt have played it but I think he just missed it, it wasn't a clusterfark..... perhaps i'm biased as an ex bowler.....lol

10 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Or Bob Hawke's hooking.

Gotta respect him for taking on the shortball.  Turnball would be a leave the periscope up style ducker.  No glory there.

It is incredibly frustrating to see both sides of politics stumbling around now over something as critical in our country as bloody electricity. Both sides have dropped the ball over something which should have been planned for at least 10 years ago. Global Warming isn't new you fools. If you both (both parties) had a plan 10 years ago, you would have made the main power companies phase this in and we wouldn't be faced with extreme pricing and both sides stumbling around trying to play catchup. no Mr TURNCOAT, 50 cents aint gunna cut it with no real idea where we are going and you Mr Shortpants, don't criticise unless you at least have a bloody plan.   Your both disgraces and neither of you are leaders. Get out of my Country please. 

Edited by Prince
  • Like 3

Crikey, old mate in NZ has decided to form coalition with the Labour Party, Jacinda Ardern their new PM. 

Zero to hero in a couple of months... is the ALP now out looking for their own Jacinda Ardern ?

Lucky the LNP don't play soccer, own goals galore. Cash to join Barnaby in getting turfed this week?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Riddos said:

Lucky the LNP don't play soccer, own goals galore. Cash to join Barnaby in getting turfed this week?

Prolly with the Minister for Spending

What I'm wondering is, it it normal for people in the govt to know that the afp is going to raid the unions?  And even more so, should the employment minister and her office know this is going to happen before it happens?

I'm not saying it didn't need to be raided, or that BS has or hasn't done something wrong.  But it just seems to me that the govt are the ones pushing this to happen????  It's like they need to get some bad news out for Labor atm because everything ain't smelling roses for them.  From the citizenship drama, where they went hard at BS and Labor and came up empty.  Then blaming the NBN drama on them and no one buying it.  And TA shooting his mouth off where ever and when ever he can.

They really want something bad to happen to Labor, but in the end, it'll either come up blank which won't help them at all, or they'll get rid of BS and probably end up with a Labor leader that more people actually like, which will also be a kinda backfire for them.

• Like 1

I'm gobsmacked at times as to why we haven't become a dictatorship yet.  Buffoons all around, can't figure out whether they are allowed to sit in parliament, can't figure out how to eat a sausage properly, can't set a plan and stick to it, can't set a budget and stick to it, can't give us other than useless alternatives as leaders.  Come on Gina, time to step up and mobilise your forces, stop stuffing around with trying to control the Fairfax board

1 hour ago, goughy said:

What I'm wondering is, it it normal for people in the govt to know that the afp is going to raid the unions?  And even more so, should the employment minister and her office know this is going to happen before it happens?

I'm pretty sure it was Cash, or her department that put it to RoC & the AFP to investigate.

So if that was the case (if), what would the implications of that be? Would certainly put a ? On her claims of not knowing anything about the leak.

They've gone hard at BS a few times now, and nothing so far has come of it. If this again turns out to be a failure????

cash 

lucky for her that her staff went to journos rather than her...... Im stoked that she is a politician that allows her staff speak to journos without permission - she is cutting edge as opposed to a lying grub.

10 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

cash 

lucky for her that her staff went to journos rather than her...... Im stoked that she is a politician that allows her staff speak to journos without permission - she is cutting edge as opposed to a lying grub.

Is it just me or does she remind you of the most hated teacher or librarian you've ever met, or that neighbour on the Strata committee. 

Today's the day the Senate could get a few new faces, and New England get a by-election. Can't see him not getting back in, but I hope he has to sweat for it.

Boohyah!

Wonder what Johnny Depp will say?

Woohoo... they got rid of that turd Roberts.

Leader and Duputy of the NATs  both gone.

Joyce will go to a by-election, but I think Nash is done.

It has actually worked out pretty well for Larissa Waters, she's been free to help campaign for the upcoming QLD State election rather then being stuck in Canberra. And she's now all good to go to get a senate seat back at the next Federal election.   

• Like 1