Rocket Salad

The Politics Thread

5 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

Note that the 457s in that period were all current employees of the overseas arms of the company coming into Australia on expat assignments, not just bringing in workers from overseas to start with us.  It was a double edged sword going the residency route, as soon as they applied for it the company practice was to cut off the expat benefits (eg private school fees paid, free company car, rent paid etc), so most of them went out of the way to keep it quiet from us

A 457 doesn't (didn't) offer any direct pathway to 190 status as far as I'm aware.  If an applicant is capable of obtaining a 190 in their own right (keeping it quiet from you) then they could have done that from via a 189 from o/s.  Even on a 457, a sponsoring company still needs to be providing a role on the CSOL or SOL list. The only thing a 457 offers really is for an applicant to physically get into Oz quicker but their status is no more permanent than an o/s applicant (which is what a lot of them don't realise).

A 457 doesn't really cut down the amount of hoops for PR at all  (for a genuine applicant of course).

16 hours ago, FatPom said:

A 457 doesn't really cut down the amount of hoops for PR at all  (for a genuine applicant of course).

From memory it does if the applicant doesn't quite meet the requirements for skilled migration as they can gain extra points for skilled employment within Australia.

On 18/04/2017 at 3:28 PM, Prince said:

Why all the fuss about Abbott. So far everything he has said is 100% spot on.   He is upfront about it for the twits who compare him to Rudd. He is not sneaking around hiding his opinions. So far Turnbull is been an absolute disgrace and disaster for the Liberals and i haven't heard him take one iota of responsibility. He has also shown how piss weak he is. He could have had shorten on toast during the campaign about Shortens sucking the d***ks if the Unions, but he never mentioned it and rarely does. 

Turnubull was then who stuck his head up and said, 'hey pick me' i am great. Well he is the one that has created the instability and created the defections. 

This absolute crap about Abbott wanting his job is media hype. 

Awesome cognitive dissonance mate

1 hour ago, Andrew #1 said:

Awesome cognitive dissonance mate

why is that? 

Don't you agree with me?

6 hours ago, Rog said:

From memory it does if the applicant doesn't quite meet the requirements for skilled migration as they can gain extra points for skilled employment within Australia.

Can't quite remember to be honest Rog and these things change quite regularly. I'm pretty sure the role still had to be on the CSOL list. Diferent roles have different points as well (Accountants for example need 70 points rather than 60) and I don't think a 457 required IELTS.

I know from the immi boards that going from a 457 to a 190 was a lot harder than people thought. I didn't think it gave an applicant anything special but could be wrong.

16 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Thought the UK general election might get some coverage here

It's only Rimmer and I that live here now (I think Old Dave has left Liverpool now), not much to say really.

Apart from everyone apparently being totally jack of elections in the UK, the only real question appears to be how few seats Labour End up with?

6 hours ago, FatPom said:

Can't quite remember to be honest Rog and these things change quite regularly. I'm pretty sure the role still had to be on the CSOL list. Diferent roles have different points as well (Accountants for example need 70 points rather than 60) and I don't think a 457 required IELTS.

I know from the immi boards that going from a 457 to a 190 was a lot harder than people thought. I didn't think it gave an applicant anything special but could be wrong.

Had a member of my former team on a spousal 457 visa, trying hard as anything for PR.  She was in admin role, he was a mechanical engineer.  Unfortunately for them they came out as they both turned 50 and is zero chance of getting PR with those roles (once you get too far past 40 you have to basically be a brain surgeon or rocket scientist to make up for the short earning timeline compared to you potential for vast pension liability), shame for them as they sold up in England before coming out thinking they would be able to get it.

Hasn't stopped their migration agents taking their money for 5 times to put in new applications "that will work this time"

I have an application that went in before the changes.   it is still getting processed but I was told by the immigration agent that now it would only be for 2 years, not 3, and no chance of permanent residency.  

18 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Thought the UK general election might get some coverage here

I follow UK politics/current events given that my missus is british and we spent so long living there over the last decade.

I may be cynical but, like with most things, I think this is May/Conservative Gov't putting themselves/their party ahead of the greater good. As with most politics (on both sides of the globe) it appears that getting/retaining power comes above all else ... 

They (Conservatives) know that they are in with a good chance of winning (perhaps with greater majority) because British Labour are farked, UKIP is falling apart, Lib Dems ....well.... what Lib-Dems!?!?!  There is no solid opposition to the Conservatives so they may as well strike whilst they can to secure a longer term in government.

if they wait for 2 years it will simply give opposition parties the time to re-group and sort themselves out.  Plus if the whole Brexit thing becomes the debacle many people think it will, plus issues like Scotland and so on.  The Conservatives will likely have a tougher time getting elected a couple of years down the track ....

what is the appeal of the tories. The top fifth of earners take half the income in the UK. This was true before and after the GFC. People in the top fifth caused the GFC and people in the bottom 4 fifths paid for the GFC.

Corbyn speaks for the people in the bottom four fifths and proposes to have a more equal Britain. Somehow this in unpopular. Sort of like Australia though where people seem to like to vote for people who will demonstrably make them worse off and make rich people richer for taking no risk.

Trickle down chicago school blah blah

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

what is the appeal of the tories. The top fifth of earners take half the income in the UK. This was true before and after the GFC. People in the top fifth caused the GFC and people in the bottom 4 fifths paid for the GFC.

Corbyn speaks for the people in the bottom four fifths and proposes to have a more equal Britain. Somehow this in unpopular. Sort of like Australia though where people seem to like to vote for people who will demonstrably make them worse off and make rich people richer for taking no risk.

Trickle down chicago school blah blah

I had this sort of debate with IronJimbo many many moons back (on this thread somewhere, I guess)

At the time, there was a report stating that the wealthiest 5% of British people had increased their net wealth by something like 50% over the past 5 years (end of GFC sort of period)

At the same time the vast majority of British people (something like the 85% of the population) had actually gone backwards (because of stagnant wages etc and growing costs of living and so on).  it seemed that those 'sharing the burdon' of the GFC decisions where the 90% of the population at the bottom whilst the uber-wealthy still managed to profit from it ....

When I worked for a govt agency in the UK (which I have done 3 times in the past decade) the amount of people relying on government to survive is actually scary .... and I mean for the very basic things like food and clothing for kids.  At the very bottom end the UK is opening more foodbanks than doctor surgeries .... (one charity alone called 'Trussel' operates more than 400 foodbanks across Britain .... that is a scary statistic really)..

And its going to get worse.....figures from last month in the UK showed inflation at 2.3% (12 month figure)...

I just don't see how people can stand back from this sort of thing and not go "WTF is happening?" .... how is it that you can have a situation where 90% of people are getting screwed by policies/decisions of government and less than 10% are 'winning'.  and the 10% that are winning are already the wealthiest people in the country.

As I said to IronJimbo all those posts ago..... if the system created a situation where 80% of people's living standards/wealth/whatever was improving then you can make an argument that the system is OK......

Makes not much sense to me ..... but what do I know ?!

The easy answer seem to blame immigrants for 'taking our jobs' or whatever.....

Edited by TryTriB4Forty
  • Like 1

and a large portion of that 80 % (though assume many of these don't vote) vote for policies that are guaranteed to hurt them. The great masses of average income aussies seem to do the same, suppose they in some way enjoy being poor, unhealthy and miserable., otherwise they would choose something else.

• Like 1

On second thoughts, just CBA. 

Edited by FatPom

I don't live there, have plenty related who do and all they want is independence as they say they are not represented adequately by the choices presented. What exactly is the luvvie manifesto?

What benefit does somebody not in the top fifth and at that the top bit of the top fifth get from voting for tories?

Note currently doing some job interviews for a move and interested in the landscape and the outcomes from brexit on income, house prices etc

3 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

I don't live there, have plenty related who do and all they want is independence as they say they are not represented adequately by the choices presented. What exactly is the luvvie manifesto?

What benefit does somebody not in the top fifth and at that the top bit of the top fifth get from voting for tories?

Like I say, it's not a rabbit hole worth disappearing down.  I live here and have for some time, I wouldn't even profess to know what is going in Oz politics as I don't live there either. When I did live there it was only Sydney (for 27yrs) and wouldn't be so arrogant as to speak for the rest of the country. Yet somehow, if you've dabbled in in living in London a couple of times (and nowhere else) and don't live there now, somehow you're qualified to speak for the whole nation!

If people want to have a real conversation, we can do that but a genuine conversation isn't what will happen, unfortunately. 

Ok, I get that. Really trying to get my finger on the pulse and separate my families views, heavy Scottish independence and the bits we get from the reality to weigh up the risk reward from a move.

53 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Ok, I get that. Really trying to get my finger on the pulse and separate my families views, heavy Scottish independence and the bits we get from the reality to weigh up the risk reward from a move.

A lot would depend on where you are planning to live, Scotland or England?

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

A lot would depend on where you are planning to live, Scotland or England?

I'm not so patriotic anymore, wife would like scotland as lots of extended family for the boys which would be nice. Though I am aware of the issues they bring. House prices are good for what you get especially if willing not to live in Edinburgh but commute.

Some places many would not consider, but north side of the forth is ok, though, it would have to be bus or trainable to edinburgh, but there are plenty of places that would meet that bill. Type of places people who don't know the country that well would not consider.

Having said that I have no idea what Sturgeon is going to do and I don't think we are much better off out of UK. England not London, don't have much idea of England but happy to trade some income.

I think this election is going to be a golden opportunity for either Sturgeon or May, just not sure which.  i think the SNP were counting on Corbyn's support but his own party is imploding at the speed of light and he wants nothing do with an alliance.

1 in 4 jobs in Scotland is reliant on trade from England, so it will be interesting to see where it goes. 

So is anyone able to explain why Bernadi didn't just defect to Family First and then get their name changed rather than going through the whole process of registering yet another new party?  He still would have had his "it's all about me" moment either way

• Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 9:05 PM, FatPom said:

I think this election is going to be a golden opportunity for either Sturgeon or May, just not sure which.  i think the SNP were counting on Corbyn's support but his own party is imploding at the speed of light and he wants nothing do with an alliance.

1 in 4 jobs in Scotland is reliant on trade from England, so it will be interesting to see where it goes. 

I was thinking about this the other day..

I think you are right ..... all the other parties are basically doing nothing.... Labour, LibDems and UKIP seem to be fighting internally and who knows how that will play out.

The way its looking, Labour and LibDems will end up being VERY minor parties in the parliament .... look at what happened to Labour in Scotland last election! And the Lib Dems - who went from being a coalition partner in government to basically having only a handful of seats.  UKIP might get one or 2 seats.

It will be bloody interesting if  the Tories build even more of a majority south of the Scottish Border, and if SNP gain a whole lot of seats north.... it will be really creating a showdown between England and Scotland!

Thing for me though is, if you were an avid  remain voter (I dunno, maybe 25% or one-third of the voting population) where would you put our vote?? If you didn't like the Tories there isn't much else to be inspired about .....  

Edited by TryTriB4Forty

50 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

So is anyone able to explain why Bernadi didn't just defect to Family First and then get their name changed rather than going through the whole process of registering yet another new party?  He still would have had his "it's all about me" moment either way

Did he have that much of a plan?

I sorta thought that once he left the Liberal party he was expecting some of the other right-wing Liberals to go with him..... remember at the time that polling was showing Christensen as neck-and-neck with One Nation in his electorate - people saying he'd never get voted in again etc. plus you've got the Abbott supporters (Dutton et al). I half-expected all them to go with Bernardi just to show Turnbull a lesson!

Maybe Bernardi jumped ship expecting others to follow?

Either way, I hope he gets zero votes at the next election

Edited by TryTriB4Forty
  • Like 1