Rocket Salad

The Politics Thread

^this

edit - my comment was for the post two up

Edited by goughy

Do we wait for the black smoke/white smoke now?

But man he has some great teachers. Tinny, I know you are old enough to remember Hawke and Keating!

Could you imagine how pissed off they must be at all this stuff going on now?

First of how many votes before the next election?

Kind of ironic the PM picks a fight with the media, in the same week the media responds by whipping up such a frenzy that the party believes things are terminal and move to axe the PM.

Roll on 4.30...

I'm not sure Kevin will stand. I see the 4:30 spill as an attempt to bully Kevin into standing when they think he doesn't have the numbes like they did in February last year. We will see what happens.

I'm not sure Kevin will stand. I see the 4:30 spill as an attempt to bully Kevin into standing when they think he doesn't have the numbes like they did in February last year. We will see what happens.

Makes Crean look like a goose then when he has said he has nominated as Kevin's deputy

Makes Crean look like a goose then when he has said he has nominated as Kevin's deputy

He actually said that he will nominate as deputy but Kevin would rather someone else be deputy....Crean and Gillard are friends (sort of) I think games are been played on both sides.

News limited ran a poll overnight of who should be the labor leader.

Coming in 4th and 5th was Bob Carr and Stephen Conroy. Doesn't the leader need to be from the house of reps?

The other interesting thing with this vote, if Gillard gets the axe, will the independents stick to their word and remove the support of the government and send us all back to the polls end of April? Might be enough of a thought for the labor members to stick with what they know and hope Abbot stuffs up before September, rather than risk going to the polls now with the opinion polls running as bad as they are.

But man he has some great teachers. Tinny, I know you are old enough to remember Hawke and Keating!

I honestly believe that Hawke felt he was doing the right thing by the people of Australia, and in the most part I think he was. You have to be an egomaniac to even start off in the game of politics (your whole time is spent telling people how good you are), and the bigger the ego the more power you crave. There is no room in politics for humility.

Abbott doesn't need to stuff up. he could just about stomp on some chickens and win the next one.

There was talk in the media a few weeks ago that if Rudd got the leadership back, expect him to call a much earlier election, like straight away. So pulling support and forcing one might not be much of an issue. I mean this 9 month election campaign (ok, she said it wasn't but we all know it is) was stupid.

The Governor General doesn't have to agree to an election if the Independents pull their support. She can say that the Opp can form a government with the Independents and then they just swap sides in the chamber.

Not likely, but can happen.

The Governor General doesn't have to agree to an election if the Independents pull their support. She can say that the Opp can form a government with the Independents and then they just swap sides in the chamber.

Not likely, but can happen.

True, but Abbot is not going to accept the poison chalice and also say sorry we can't form government, thereby forcing the election. With the current polls he's want to go to the voters sooner rather than later to capitalise and get 3 terms of govt instead of possibly 1.

10 mins out and Rudd's still saying he won't put up his hand. Sounds like Crean might have blown it.

If it happens according to ABC if its 50 all (51 is needed) it's settled on the toss of a coin! There is a way to govern!

Whatever happens, someone is going to walk out and say that they have the full support of the party.

Yeah, just heard on the radio that he's tweeted he won't be standing. If that's the case, instead of being mostly f-ked at the next election, they'll be completely f-ked.

Does anyone else think that the Labor Party's only chance at winning the next election is if they install Jed Bartlet as leader?

Does anyone else think that the Labor Party's only chance at winning the next election is if they install Jed Bartlet as leader?

Once they get rid of Jed Clampett

At least hire Aaron Sorkin as head speech writer. Either that or get pictures of Abbot with a goat

Was Crean one of the guys who helped oust him in the first place? Maybe Rudd's sitting back now going 'that's one paid back'?

I think it goes more to Rudds character than anything, and its got nothing to do with him "honouring his commitment not to challenege".

He wanted them to beg him to come back and when that didnt happen he let them hang themselves.

Good move by Crean.

Here is why.

If today worked he would have been 2IC now. After the election Kevin would have stepped down again leaving Crean as leader.

So now after the election Julia will be gone. This will leave the leadership open. Swan wont have the backing. The faceless men dont want Kevin. That leave Crean.

Therese probably told Kev that she's not interested in selling all her aussie assets again if he becomes leader due to 'possible conflict of interests' stuff so don't bother unless there's no one else.

I harp back to the massage thread, I feel like I paid for the extra but in the end it came up short, and I'm left frustrated - though it was more funny than frustrating.

Suceded in making themselves look even sillier. Leader calls a spill saying basically bring it on, except nobody wants to challenge her anyway. Paranoid deluded and incompetent.

Under 30 in the polls by next week

Suceded in making themselves look even sillier. Leader calls a spill saying basically bring it on, except nobody wants to challenge her anyway. Paranoid deluded and incompetent.

...or by calling it, it asserted a hell of a lot of confidence and balls. You see it your way, others will see it their way.

Once she voluntarily called a spill, it had to be pretty clear she knew she had the numbers.

The whole thing reminds me of the last Qld elections though.

The election result sure as heck will!

...or by calling it, it asserted a hell of a lot of confidence and balls. You see it your way, others will see it their way.

Not sure how this helps her win the election? But I take your point, if she knew she had the numbers and that Kev was agitating, she could have don it all behind closed doors, avoided the spectacle and built some confidence in her leadership and the party

Well, it still looks stupid. He has said for ages he won't be standing, and he didn't. When it happened to him she was saying the whole time she supported him but in reality it was our first obvious case of her lying. Maybe she's just used to thinking people are like her. I know some places are saying he's a coward, but he's stood by what he said. Others have stuffed up.

FFS Turnbull step up.

I dont want to vote for the Labor rabble, but sure as shit dont want Tony Abbot to be the man who represents our country.

• Like 2

Interesting how some people view what happened yesterday. Not a comment about you TC, its just Ive never looked at it like that.

FFS Turnbull step up.

I dont want to vote for the Labor rabble, but sure as shit dont want Tony Abbot to be the man who represents our country.

Then I guess you are shit outta luck :lol:

I cant wait for Labor to f-k off.

FFS Turnbull step up.

I agree. I think he'll be a train wreck and once he's PM and he's subjected to some real pressure who knows what he's capable of :taz:

So now after the election Julia will be gone. This will leave the leadership open. Swan wont have the backing. The faceless men dont want Kevin. That leave Crean.

Labor leadership will be decided after the next election by paper rock scissors if the current trend continues

FFS Turnbull step up.

Amen to that, Abott can't even say sorry without screwing it up....

http://www.abc.net.a...-speech/4586450

He is truly an embarassment.

A prepared apology speech and he uses the exact phrase that causes more distress for the people most aggreived. Ignorant fool.

Edited by gluteus

I am 100% convinced that this was a beautifully worked sting by Gillard with the full cooperation of Crean.

Rudd's support was building within the parliamentary ranks, and she knew that there was a risk he'd reach a critical level of supprt soon - but he wasn't there yet. So she convinces the old stager Crean to go ahead and call a media conference and do his whole "Labor party in crisis, we need a petition, blah-de-blah".

Rudd's supporters start signing a caucus petition to force a spill. Gillard then opens a ballot for the leadership.

Its all too early for KRudd, he still hasn't got the numbers (which Gilard knew from the start), so he is forced to back right off.

Result: Gillard still leader. Has flushed out all the Rudd supporters white-anting her from within (hell, they signed their own names to the petition!). The 'Rudd threat' put to bed until at least after the next election.

Beautifully played, Julia. I am genuinely impressed, internal Labor politics at its finest...

• Like 1

Abby I think you may be right, Crean certainly didnt sound like a supporter when he asked Kev to step up, but cant see what was in it for him, a guy many said was a smart politician. I mean they arent going to get relected so I dont see how he could be looking for a better portfolio, not sure how safe his seat is either.

Maybe he has had enough of the whole game and is after a diplomatic posting??

I am 100% convinced that this was a beautifully worked sting by Gillard with the full cooperation of Crean.

Rudd's support was building within the parliamentary ranks, and she knew that there was a risk he'd reach a critical level of supprt soon - but he wasn't there yet. So she convinces the old stager Crean to go ahead and call a media conference and do his whole "Labor party in crisis, we need a petition, blah-de-blah".

Rudd's supporters start signing a caucus petition to force a spill. Gillard then opens a ballot for the leadership.

Its all too early for KRudd, he still hasn't got the numbers (which Gilard knew from the start), so he is forced to back right off.

Result: Gillard still leader. Has flushed out all the Rudd supporters white-anting her from within (hell, they signed their own names to the petition!). The 'Rudd threat' put to bed until at least after the next election.

Beautifully played, Julia. I am genuinely impressed, internal Labor politics at its finest...

There is no way that this is the way it happened...

It was no 'sting' by Gillard....

If Gillard had wanted to deal with this matter then the obvious solution would have been to do it in caucus behind closed doors.... not out in the open with media scrutiny...

Also, why would she sack Crean from the Ministerial position of Regional Development and the Arts if he was acting with her blessing in the whole shananigans??

Out of everything that has happened in the last 12 months, the past few days have potentially done the most damage to the labor 'brand' - they were already struggling in the polls, and this whole saga being played out in front of he cameras hasn't helped any.

If this was infact a 'sting' by the Gillard camp then it was indeed poorly executed when you look at whats left...

Significant senior ministers and senior figures sacked/resigned....(leaving who as the 'team' heading towards election?? a bunch of new ring-ins to key portfolios and positions?)

Division in the party on show for the world to see...

Public opinion at an all time low

Excuses for Abbott et al to start sniping about lack on confidence in the givernment/ call for early election and so on

Upcoming days/weeks/months of media analysis about the whole saga

etc etc

AND The whole issue of whether she is the best person to be the PM/leader of the ALP is still unresolved - all that we know is that half the caucus don't want her (depending on who's numbers you believe) and a significant number of senior/long standing ministers/MP's don't want her either.....

And a federal election 6 months away....

Do you really think this was a Gillard inspired 'sting'?? -

Gillard and Swan left standing in a burning mess, with senior figures scattered/sacked, polls on the way down, ammunition provided to the opposition and upcoming weeks of media scrutiny left to play out.....

The ALP could not have played it better if there intention was to cause maximum damage to their electoral chances....

• Like 1

I agree. I think he'll be a train wreck and once he's PM and he's subjected to some real pressure who knows what he's capable of :taz:

Yeah, he may even do something in the best interest of the country :blink:

Crean will be looked after, don'tw orry. Plus he really had nothing to lose, and everything to gain. He is in the twilight of hos political career anyway. Also, look at the way he came out swinging at Rudd this morning.

The reason Gillard did it is that they woudl have identfiied that the ongoing leadership speculation was the factor doing the biggest damage to them leading into the election. And they couldn't stop it, as they had senior leaders in the caucus doing the damage.

So its like 'ripping the bandaid off' quickly. Hurts when it happens, but in the long-term is the best option. Rudd is scuttled (he has already come out today saying 'no leadership for him ever'. The disloyal white-anters identified and removed. Key positions now taken up by Gillard loyalists who she can 'trust' and they can focus on the 6-months to the next election with one major destabilising issue out of the way.

Sure, they look like idiots. But this was done with a long-term view to the election, and not the short-term view of looking silly and messy.

Yeah, he may even do something in the best interest of the country :blink:

What, resign??

Kim Beasley still alive? :lol:

Actually his daughter just ran in the WA election. She seems pretty talented. Not talented enough to win her seat though.

If beautifully played means losing an election in a landslide, then yes brilliant piece of self serving strategy for 6 months

You do realise he held senior ministerial roles in the howard govt and was generally considered to be a thoughtful and diligent minister.

Heck. He even use to be on friendly terms with gillard when liberals were in office.

Leaving aside the politics, the labor govt is massively short of the howard govt, from a governing perspective.

Funniest thing i read this week:

Journo - does this feel like last days of roman empire?

Unnamed labor mp - nah mate, even rome was good once...

Edited by Formerly known as BOTP II

What, resign??

Hey Roxii,

Has anyone at your company lost their job in the last year or two?

Has work slowed down at all for you guys?

Correct me if Im wrong but isnt most of your work corporate/government stuff?

I knew you were left leaning mate, but seriously, you need to stop drinking that Julia flavoured cordial.

Yes mate work has slowed down and we have lost people, but I reckon it would have been a damn sight worse without the stimulus package.

But if you read my post again ( I typed it slowly because I know you can't read fast) I said I don't want to vote labor but also don't want mr rabbit to represent me on the world stage, nor hockey, and especially not pine!

Which stimulus package was that?

The one where they paid for school halls at twice the going rate?

The one where they paid for batts to be installed in peoples roof and where 4 young guys died and hundreds of houses burnt down?

Or the one where they mailed out cheques (not to me, mind you) so people could piss it up against a wall, have a slap of the cardies at the local or buy a big screen telly at Harvey Norman?

Was there another stimulus package Im not aware of that wasnt a total clusterf-k?

I know Im just a dumb tradie, but I do read just fine. Thanks anyway for the insult.