Rocket Salad

The Politics Thread

I believe in climate change, and I also believe the Earth's climate naturally changes.  You can believe in both.  We have a hole in the ozone layer, it's repairing wth a change that was made.

You don't have to be one or the other.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andrew #1 said:

Someone call ‘more’ and ambulance ... 

Did you need something to chase or are you running out of work?...

😋

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

I admit to not knowing the extent. I think we should try to have a positive effect on the planet. Agree that if the US China and India keep pumping out tonnes of emissions then our changes have little to no effect.

Challenges is to how to change the big emitters, don't know

It seems we agree on quite a few things

The key question is, why are we penalising ourselves when absolutely nothing we do will have any effect on the problem (assuming of course that a problem exists)?

Just now, IronJimbo said:

The key question is, why are we penalising ourselves when absolutely nothing we do will have any effect on the problem (assuming of course that a problem exists)?

Like I said this is where they have done a piss poor job of selling the story 

I mean who the hell doesn't want reduced pollution or clean air? Sell that story with the icing on top that if climate change is real then it can only help 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, more said:

Like I said this is where they have done a piss poor job of selling the story 

I mean who the hell doesn't want reduced pollution or clean air? Sell that story with the icing on top that if climate change is real then it can only help 

Pollution and clear air is a separate issue which has been cynically merged in to confuse people and allow the zealots to accuse their opponents of not caring about the environment

16 hours ago, Mike Del said:

And with that disappears any of your credibility Foz. The ATA have been making up their own "facts" for years.

And there..... I have exactly proven my point about people dragging up facts off the internet. 

I’k call this one........ gotten..... Hook line and sinker....... Mike Del and Andrew#1...... get in the boat!!!!

17 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Like I said.... in the previous post above.... anyone can pull stuff off the internet to justify a stance..... you well and truely took the bait.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

The 7.7 billion people consuming and producing by products is having an effect.

200 years ago there were less than a billion people. 

Stats and maths have failed in economics, they work a bit more effectively in climate:

develop models in the physical sciences that show how biophysical systems will react to changing levels of atmospheric gases. although There’s a good case to be made that the models we use to assess future climate damages are mostly reflecting our assumptions back at us. Roberts 2015

Political operatives at their upcoming  damage-control meeting in Stockholm this week  will have to figure out how to spin evidence of  a 17 year “pause” in global temperature rise and the expanding Arctic ice mass  despite what they love to describe as “record high” atmospheric CO 2 concentrations.

18000 years ago ice age ended sea levels rise by around 400 feet. Not much coal being burnt or card emitting fumes. I don't know, would like to think that we can do as much good as we can.

Though if the planet naturally had this much change without the effect of billions of humans and industry that it is beyond my understanding.

https://ocean.si.edu/through-time/ancient-seas/sea-level-rise

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

And there..... I have exactly proven my point about people dragging up facts off the internet. 

I’k call this one........ gotten..... Hook line and sinker....... Mike Del and Andrew#1...... get in the boat!!!!

Are you on crack Foz ...explain this deflection pls?

6 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

Are you on crack Foz ...explain this deflection pls?

I saw it coming Mike. It was in his post. 

On 25/01/2019 at 4:10 PM, IronmanFoz said:

No disrespect but any idiot cut put a link into a thread to back up a claim - even me!

He basically said anyone can find a link to support any argument. That doesn't mean it's true.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Zali Stegall  nominated for Warringah as an Independent. Mr Rabbit might have some spare time up his sleeve soon

TA's got 9 lives.  Not even sure he's used one yet.

She sounds like the perfect candidate. Local girl, Olympian and World Champ sporting heroine, Barrister, on board of local girls school. Financially conservative yet not a climate change denier. Independent but backed by a group of well connected locals it would seem. The complete antithesis to Abbott in so many respects, if Warringah is anything like Wentworth in demography (its actually more affluent) I think he is in trouble. Only problem would be the number of people nominating to have a crack at him might dilute the vote against him.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Parkside said:

She sounds like the perfect candidate. Local girl, Olympian and World Champ sporting heroine, Barrister, on board of local girls school. Financially conservative yet not a climate change denier.

She'd make a great Liberal candidate.

I don't know.  The seem to be a few that wanna topple him, but I reckon he'll hold (man I hope I have to eat my words).

She'd be useless in the LNP.  She thinks we're not doing enough to address climate change.  

Warringah is nothing like Wentworth, and Turnbull as a local member was nothing like Abbott 

The wishful thinking in this thread is amusing though 

Sux that I agree with you ;)

18 hours ago, goughy said:

I don't know.  The seem to be a few that wanna topple him, but I reckon he'll hold (man I hope I have to eat my words).

She'd be useless in the LNP.  She thinks we're not doing enough to address climate change.  

If she won, she would have a quarter of the votes in the party room after the next election

Face it, the 'survivors' of the LNP left are going to shape the party for the next decade, too many right wing nutbags left and they're stuffed, enough moderates and Bill might be shitting himself in 3 years time

• Like 1

On 17/01/2019 at 11:42 AM, Limited said:

I got one too. I couldn't believe it. Are they trying to piss people off?

If anyone is bothered by Clive’s annoying phone messages, you can always return the favour 

53A81B17-D17D-42B9-9F15-63F9D2A2CAF5.jpeg

Edited by Mike Del

8 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Warringah is nothing like Wentworth, and Turnbull as a local member was nothing like Abbott 

The wishful thinking in this thread is amusing though 

Thats right, Turnbull's constituents loved him.

Incredibly wishful thinking on my part. And most of the nation.

• Thanks 1

Losing the Prime Ministership wasn't humiliating enough for Abbott.  The evil bastard deserves to lose his seat too

Leftist hatred is truly something to behold

I'd be happy to see him lose his seat (would have been even happier if the loss was in 94).  I just don't think he will.

14 minutes ago, goughy said:

I'd be happy to see him lose his seat (would have been even happier if the loss was in 94).  I just don't think he will.

I just hope his goon Dutton loses his this year. I'll be doing what I can to help with that. ;)

eg: My 0.001 cents worth.

• Like 1

Disappointed I won’t be there to vote against him and see him finally out of politics. 

10 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Losing the Prime Ministership wasn't humiliating enough for Abbott.  The evil bastard deserves to lose his seat too

Leftist hatred is truly something to behold

Yep, out with the rubbish. He needs to be relegated to the think tank talk show circuit ASAP, or a coal board or 2. He stank as a PM, his party knifed him, his branch despises him and has splintered to run an independent against him, but it's leftist hate. He is yesterdays man in all respects. He has been nothing but a sniper and disruptor from the back bench, outed his successor and now will gift the lodge to Bill Shorten. His ship is sinking, go down with it. Ditch the bitch or something.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sadly Abbott lost his spine when he became the PM. He succumbed to the populist views ie: the polls.

He should have learnt a lot from John Howard - but then again he had Turnbull circling the whole time. Both as bad as each other. But then again...Turnbull never had a spine to start with. Didn't he try to join Labor first. Warning bells there!!!!!

Edited by IronmanFoz
  • Like 1

On 29/01/2019 at 8:09 PM, Parkside said:

Yep, out with the rubbish. He needs to be relegated to the think tank talk show circuit ASAP, or a coal board or 2. He stank as a PM, his party knifed him, his branch despises him and has splintered to run an independent against him, but it's leftist hate. He is yesterdays man in all respects. He has been nothing but a sniper and disruptor from the back bench, outed his successor and now will gift the lodge to Bill Shorten. His ship is sinking, go down with it. Ditch the bitch or something.

very true.  Since Howard, I think the only one who didn't snipe and disrupt their own parties when they were disposed of was Gillard, as much as I couldn't stand her, she did disappear into the never never and kept her mouth shut. 

This election will be a bonanza for Independents I predict. 

Gillard is keeping quiet for three reasons - A, W and U

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

**** me gotta love a good photo opportunity 😂

And the dickheads trying to take credit for something they resisted for so long in the first place. 

• Like 1

Isn't that stock standard for politicians?  Along with passing the buck?

Wonder if the report about the banking royal Commission coming out will hurt ScoMo at all, since he didn't want it?

TA thinks there isn't enough toilets at Manly beach!  Is it only recently that there has been an issue with supply, or have they always been on the short side for the last 20 odd years?

Amazing what a perceived threat can do for an electorate?

2 hours ago, goughy said:

TA thinks there isn't enough toilets at Manly beach! 

What's wrong with these Manly residents, why don't they just wade out and do it in the ocean like most of us do at the beach.

On 03/02/2019 at 8:20 PM, goughy said:

Wonder if the report about the banking royal Commission coming out will hurt ScoMo at all, since he didn't want it?

Voted against it 26 times.

32 minutes ago, Parkside said:

He was trying to save money! And bring the budget back under control.

15 hours ago, Mike Del said:

What's wrong with these Manly residents, why don't they just wade out and do it in the ocean like most of us do at the beach.

Pricey (who lives in the area) said it's only one time a year they need the extra portaloos, due to an ocean swim event.  Rest of the year the residents probably do as you describe...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parkside said:

So repeatedly asking the same question means that you repeatedly get the same answer?

Who knew...

I'm not sure what Peter Dutton is on about now, but his latest 2 "Fights" for his electorate are both State Government & Local Council matters.

The latest is his & ScoMo's declaration to fix a low bridge crossing in the north of his electorate. He's been running a campaign on his website saying we need to get behind him to fix this bridge. The problem is, it's a local council road & bridge. He's now pledged $7.5M to fix it. Great, because the last study put the cost at over $80M, and for a back road, it is just too expensive for a local council to fund the other $73M.

But even worse, there are a number of large billboards on the main road I use with his ugly mug on, proclaiming his fight for better parking at Ferny Grove Station. Yes it needs it, but no, it's a State Gov matter, and there are already development plans in to redevelop the station and add additional parking. I suppose he will claim the additional spaces as his work. And better than that, the station isn't even in his electorate. Maybe if he got the NBN fixed (heaven forbid he do something about a Federal matter), then a lot of the people that currently commute every day could work from home and not have to drive to the station.

• Like 3

NSW Labor has promised free public transport for all children, all the time and now fee free TAFE courses for skill shortage vocations (ie every trade known to man). Anything that puts “RTOs” to the sword is good in my books.

On 03/02/2019 at 8:20 PM, goughy said:

And there was a rush into the union commission which uncovered relatively little compared to the banking one

26 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

And there was a rush into the union commission which uncovered relatively little compared to the banking one

That's true I suppose

Heydon noted that Bill Shorten is not credible, but we already knew that

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Heydon noted that Bill Shorten is not credible, but we already knew that

Most politicians are politicians, hence not credible. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

it made some people aware that the CFMEU in particular  are nothing but filthy corrupt scumbags, even though most of us knew this. It's just a pity many people can't  join the dots to the current Opposition leader.....

They can join the dots, why do you think he's so unpopular!  I wouldn't be surprised if him leading cost Labor the last election.  But you get to a point, no matter how unpopular a leader is, the current mob will have burnt all their bridges.  But I think they have to stick with him, can't afford a leadership change.

I think on all sides of politics now we are being left with the fact that each time a leader moves on or gets deposed, they are simply replaced by another bloody politician. 

There is little difference between them all now, either side.  The personality is beaten out of them, they are not allowed to have their own ideas, they simply have to spin the lines and do what the faction that put them in place insists they do. 

I have never not voted before, but I am seriously starting to consider it as an option now. As the old saying goes "Don't vote, it only encourages them" 

• Like 1

Just write them a message on the ballot paper. As long as the rest is filled in properly, it's still valid. 

In 1982 during the Franklin Dam protests, voters sent a wake-up call to the Federal Government when a Federal By-election in Victoria returned over 40% of ballot papers, with "No Dams" written across them.

Thing is, they want us all to have our say (by voting), but really my say is worthless (I'm sure some would agree what I say here doesn't have much value either).  I vote every time, but I'm in dyed in the wool nationals country (or lnp).  Even Peter Dutton would get a safe majority here.

When it comes to the crunch, just how many seats actually affect the election?

18 minutes ago, goughy said:

When it comes to the crunch, just how many seats actually affect the election?

With the Government in the position it is at the moment, every one. Given there may be a large swing this year, it may become moot, but this is the 2nd minority/hung Government in recent years, so a seat here or there would see a huge difference.

If you mean "how many seats have the ability to swing from one party to the other" rather than stay with their historical preference due to the demographics, they can all change, it just takes time, and a good alternative.