Rocket Salad

The Politics Thread

You know what I do hate, all this parliamentary privilege crap, can say what they want.  And all this shit with crap comments they can make and then just withdraw and all's good.  It's all bullshit.

8 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

But that's not what this is. They may say They are going through to May because the people want a full term, but is the real reason that they want as long as possible to claw back some support?

ScoMo today IMO showed the first bit of Lib nouse in marketing.  Make the next election totally about the choice between him and Shorten.  Going to be tough to convince the electorate that that is the case, but if they convince enough it's a message that will resonate.

The need to campaign with no lib branding on it at all - something like #anybodybutbill

My thoughts are though if they go to the polls before May, it will likely have elements of 1975

That is absolutely their best bet.  Don't know if it will be enough.  But he certainly started that yesterday.

Just heard they will only be sitting for 15 days between now and the budget.  Nice job if you can get it. 

• Confused 1

Only 7 sitting days next year up until the budget in April.  And 10 sitting days for the first 8 months next year.  They're taking the piss out of us.

21 minutes ago, roxii said:

Just heard they will only be sitting for 15 days between now and the budget.  Nice job if you can get it. 

When theyre not sitting what do they actually do?  Get ready to sit?

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

stretching...

• Haha 1

Good to see ScoMo now has to deal with what the rest of us have to - running projects with not enough resources, and tight deadlines with a miracle required to get the result😀😀

4 hours ago, symo said:

Good to see ScoMo now has to deal with what the rest of us have to - running projects with not enough resources, and tight deadlines with a miracle required to get the result😀😀

scomo will deliver a magic pudding budget, hence why its an early budget. A surplus plus something to win voters over. problem is, I think it will be deceiving if you look too close as no doubt it will be forecast over the next 5-10 years    I would call the election the next day so no one has the time to look too closely.   still, it will probably save a few seats.  

its all a bit like poker.  Bill just keeps his cards and doesn't make a move as he only has a pair of two's while scomo  goes all in...

10 hours ago, Surfer said:

Have a fair idea what Barnaby used to be doing.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 27/11/2018 at 7:28 PM, Prince said:

Not with renewables.  I have no doubt there will be some pain for several years and then come down.  It’s small business that I think will struggle.  The cost of electricity in many small businesses will see some have to close their doors.  Hopefully Bill has a plan to help them 

I halved my small business electricity bill by installing LED lights in place of fluoros and renegotiating contract with retailer. Carbon tax would have done the same by placing pressure on small business to look for ways to minimise usage or use alternative power sources. 

I'd like a treasury costing for a personal tax rebate for the cost of solar instal on owner occupied residential properties. 

2 hours ago, Prince said:

its all a bit like poker.  Bill just keeps his cards and doesn't make a move as he only has a pair of two's while scomo  goes all in...

I wouldn't say Bill acts as though he has a pair...  Definitely doesn't act as though he has a pair of brain cells

• Haha 1

Kelly probably won't be a liberal by the time the election comes about.

Won’t be liberal by the end of the year. Will lose preselection. May Stand as an independent on his record of being an Abbott mouthpiece and Jones puppet,  mouthbreathing denialist. Can’t think of one thing he has done for our electorate except embarrass himself with frequent gaffes. Maverick conservative.

• Like 1

'Gaffe' of course being defined as something that Parky doesn't agree with but cannot rebut without name calling...

31 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

'Gaffe' of course being defined as something that Parky doesn't agree with but cannot rebut without name calling...

No, gaffe being defined as 

"women are at a biological disadvantage because they form a deeper bond with their children as opposed to fathers"

"US should overlook Russian atrocities such as the downing of flight MH17"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My ears prick up every time this bloke opens his gob as he is unfortunately my local member. He has absolutely no scientific education or qualifications whatsoever, conducts himself poorly and is the antithesis of the person I want representing me in Parliament. I present some of his finest work. My name calling is based on watching him speak at local school presentations as well as his utterances in the media and parliament. He will be rolled in a factional battle by a former labor, then liberal mayor and career local councillor with numerous allegations surrounding him regarding pro-development interference in council matters. He is unsurprisingly left of Kelly and seems to be favourite to be preselected. 

Craig Kelly:

Role of women outside the kitchen

“Obviously, you would like to have a greater mix across society represented in Parliament, the reality is federal Parliament is a very female unfriendly place,” he said.

“We have done a lot of things, we have seen some of the members breastfeeding actually in the chamber, which I thought was a bit over the top,” he added.

Not skipping a beat after labelling women who breastfeed in public “over the top”, Mr. Kelly then went on to suggest women are at a biological disadvantage because they form a deeper bond with their children as opposed to fathers

Diplomatic relations with Russia after MH17

"We can't fix things that happened in the past. We've got to make sure that the relationships between Russia and the US going forward are the best they can possibly be," Mr Kelly told Sky News on Wednesday.

“If that means some things Russia has gotten away with in the past has to be slightly looked over, well I’m sorry, that’s the price that we have to pay to have good relations going forward - nothing is going to bring those three kids back."

“I would also say to those families as well I have the greatest of sympathy for them … and if I was able to shirt-front President Putin myself, I would do that.”.

On renewables

"People will die," he told ABC Radio on Thursday

Australians will die because of high power bills driven by renewable energy, the chair of the Coalition's climate committee is warning.

Liberal backbencher Craig Kelly believes some people cannot afford to heat their homes this winter.

Kelly, MP for Hughes in New South Wales, cited recent reports that one-in-four Australian households this winter will be frightened to turn on the heater due to high power prices. He also said the World Health Organisation has made it clear that winter mortality rates increase if people can’t afford to heat their homes.

Climate

“The reality is we live in a time where our generation has never ever been as safe from the climate because of fossil fuels, concrete and steel,” Kelly said. “The climate was always dangerous. We didn’t make it dangerous.”

• Like 2

It could be worse Parky, your local member could be Sarah Hanson Young

We're almost at the point that a kinder could govern the country in a more orderly fashion.  It's our last chance tomorrow this year to lock the doors and bury the place and start again.  Viva La Revolution!

37 minutes ago, Parkside said:

My ears prick up every time this bloke opens his gob as he is unfortunately my local member.

11 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

It could be worse Parky, your local member could be Sarah Hanson Young

You guys have nothin' on me. I've got potato head.

At least some of ya's may have the opportunity for change.  My vote is worthless......

15 hours ago, Parkside said:

My ears prick up every time this bloke opens his gob as he is unfortunately my local member. He has absolutely no scientific education or qualifications whatsoever, conducts himself poorly and is the antithesis of the person I want representing me in Parliament. I present some of his finest work. My name calling is based on watching him speak at local school presentations as well as his utterances in the media and parliament. He will be rolled in a factional battle by a former labor, then liberal mayor and career local councillor with numerous allegations surrounding him regarding pro-development interference in council matters. He is unsurprisingly left of Kelly and seems to be favourite to be preselected. 

Craig Kelly:

Role of women outside the kitchen

Diplomatic relations with Russia after MH17

On renewables

Climate

lol

Attempted justification of name calling and argument from authority, but no attempt at intellectually honest rebuttal

Imagine my surprise

On 29/11/2018 at 2:44 PM, Parkside said:

DtIDK2fU0AInw1t.jpg

Are they campaigning for Labor on purpose?

I’m wondering what are the obscured books on his coffee table. 

Perhaps this one. Hope he didn’t pay as much as me, I felt a little ripped off 😒

F1FD126A-FEA4-461B-86AA-3C8ACC64176A.png

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

lol

Attempted justification of name calling and argument from authority, but no attempt at intellectually honest rebuttal

Imagine my surprise

He was disowned by everyone in his own party for his MH17 comments from the PM down.

His pronouncements on anything to do with climate and energy policy is horrendously biased and demonstrably erroneous. 

He described himself as a dumb ex front rower at my kids primary school and I see nothing in his behaviour since to challenge his own self assessment. I read an article quoting a liberal source describing him as a “bit of a dolt”. 

I didn’t make up his quotes. His party is abandoning him because he and his factional mates are destroying the coalition. Come up with all the logical fallacies you want to throw at me, in my opinion he’s not a fit local member and my name calling is accurate. Right wing fruit bat fits him to a tee.

• Like 3

His latest fine work: kids protesting climate change should give up ice cream due to emissions from the agricultural sector.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

You smell that? Do you smell that? Leadershit, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of Leadershit in the morning. You know, one time we held a party room meeeting, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked in. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' moderate. The smell, you know that Leadershit smell, the whole hill. Smelled like . . . victory. Someday this Leadershit’s gonna end.

Edited by Andrew #1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Gosh, don't those Liberals in that video look silly.  I had no idea that they actually carry on like that

I'm starting to think that a 45% RET and open borders might actually be the way to go now...

Interesting to listen to Barry Cassidy this morning.  Seems to think both major parties are more interested in tactics in Parliament than actually getting things done.

Also posed an interesting theory that's going around.  Things stalled enough for lnp to hold off a possible losing vote on Naru.  And if they don't think opinions (as in Parliament, not public) have changed by next year could call an election for March to avoid the risk of losing in Parliament, but then they also lose the chance to reveal their budget.

I have no idea what purpose question time serves at all, it's been a useless distraction for decades

Surely there is a more productive use of an hour and a half each day than Labor saying the Liberals are shit, and the Liberals saying that Labor have been and will be shitter

• Like 1

Totally agree!  It's an embarrassment to watch.

Nothing will be done about it thoiugh, because if either side proposed to get rid of it the other side would accuse them of trying to avoid scrutiny, or some such shit

Such is the contemporary discourse

• Like 1

The election platform of NATIONAL SECURITY!!!! has been firmly established.

I hope people are smart enough to see through it this time.

PS the AA Bill is a total schmozzle and Labor are weak as piss for caving on the last day.

• Like 2

On 30/11/2018 at 8:38 PM, Mike Del said:

I’m wondering what are the obscured books on his coffee table. 

Perhaps this one. Hope he didn’t pay as much as me, I felt a little ripped off 😒

F1FD126A-FEA4-461B-86AA-3C8ACC64176A.png

This one was far more entertaining - and holds its value better....

2wg68hd.jpg

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

lol

Did Nikki Savva declare her conflict of interest in the preface?

Not sure but I think what when she was a little girl she had a beloved puppy that was run over and killed by a driver named "Tony" or she was emotionally scarred at a young age by a sadistic primary school teacher named "Peta" - not that you would get that from reading her book or anything..... 

• Like 1