Rocket Salad

The Politics Thread

2 hours ago, A2K said:

Someone online suggested the following would be more appropriate

My consensual domestic life partner who is facially aesthetically satisfactory is with me

You can't say life, they must be free to leave at all times, possibly via a conscious uncoupling, and domestic has connotations of keeping the partner in the home without a choice for careers.  And consensual - was it implied or given? 😎

11 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

You can't say life, they must be free to leave at all times, possibly via a conscious uncoupling, and domestic has connotations of keeping the partner in the home without a choice for careers.  And consensual - was it implied or given? 😎

I'm sorry if I offended you.

You're so offensive A2k. You should go sit in the corner for a while!

An MY denotes some feeling of ownership over another human.

What a misogynistic pig!

Not to mention the continued normalization of the cis-het agenda.

Men are scum!

I see that Jones has lost the defamation case with the Toowoomba quarry owners, and that they've been awarded $3.7m.

I wonder when Jones becomes too much of a liability.

• Like 1

Yeah, was stoked to see that today!

1 hour ago, A2K said:

Re charging fees to dead people. How does that even work? 

The money in their account keeps decreasing till it's all gone.

20 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

The money in their account keeps decreasing till it's all gone.

But why do dead people even have accounts? 

1 hour ago, A2K said:

But why do dead people even have accounts? 

Complex estates with executors or public trustees, or estates without wills, etc etc, can take a long time to research and settle. It's not uncommon for such an estate to take a year to settle, some may take multiple years, and if there are multiple accounts and documents can't be found easily, then the banks can have a field day in the interim.

I know that one of my deceased family members has a couple of active accounts - one with a zero balance and the other with $10 - and the banks refuse to close them unless provided with an original Death Cert and a request from the executor. The person died intestate and no executor was appointed, so that's not going to happen. Meanwhile they keep paying to mail out statements every month...

The line from that Fatman Scoop song they should have used was the bit about the train going off the track.

As disappointing as Turnbull was, time is going to show how much of his time and effort had to be spent trying to make it look like there was some semblance of a coherent government running this country.  

• Like 1

5 weeks of questions about why they didn't endorse a woman for the seat of Wentworth.....

1 hour ago, goughy said:

5 weeks of questions about why they didn't endorse a woman for the seat of Wentworth.....

Interesting too that although the LNP in Qld have a female leader, they have less than half the representation in the party as compared to Labor. On top of that a Federal Female Minister up here missed out on preselection for the next Federal Election. It can't be helping get votes from half the population.

• Like 1

And they are gonna get hammered on this issue up to and through the next election!

What if there are less females involved in politics and wanting pre selection and therefore the pool of suitable female candidates is lower? 

Why would you choose someone on the basis of gender alone? 

Choose the best person for the job. 

Labor has a higher percentage of females sure,  but were they the best candidates? Who knows. 

Queensland police have a 50/50 recruitment policy at the moment and are taking C grade female applicants over A grade make applicants because only 30 percent of applicants are female.  It's just wrong. 

You can say exactly the same thing about the disproportionate number of men in the LNP govt.  How do we know they are the best choice, and not a boys club choice?  I believe we're a generation or two (at least) away from the gender question being out of the equation when it comes to numbers..... In anything.

Face it, TA only had 4 women in his cabinet, and no more than 3 at any one time.  

You could ask that Goughy, but that's not the point I was making. 

I am not a member of any cabinet,  but I will say this- the rank and file police women hate the 50/50 policy as they just want to be treated as equal,  not like they need some sort of special treatment (unless they are hopeless and need it,  then they love the policy! But they are very few and far between)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mhvh said:

Queensland police have a 50/50 recruitment policy at the moment and are taking C grade female applicants over A grade make applicants because only 30 percent of applicants are female.  It's just wrong. 

It has to be done properly. I work in an engineering field. We, and the whole industry are trying to get more women into engineering. We have a policy that unless totally inept, we should have 50/50 male/female interviewed for positions (if there are enough female applicants), but from there on, may the best person win.

11 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

Maybe women are just smarter overall to stay out of the cesspool that is politics

I think this is probably spot on!

• Like 1

If you use PH as an example of one of those who continually wanna make a go of it.......

You'd almost have to laugh, just read that Abbott had no contenders for pre-selection to be the lib candidate for Manly in a few months when this government sends us back to the polls.  Despite no one to oppose him he only got 46 out of the possible 91 votes, with 9 informal votes, and the remainder saying they didn't want him as their candidate.

Tones, time to read the tea leaves and sulk off to the budgie factory.

On the other hand, shows how stuffed the party system is, only half of the people vote him in, yet only half of their supporters only want him to run in the first place, so it's somewhere around a quarter of the voters actually want him and he gets to stuff us up for another 3 years.  Same situation with Bill

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

It has to be done properly. I work in an engineering field. We, and the whole industry are trying to get more women into engineering. We have a policy that unless totally inept, we should have 50/50 male/female interviewed for positions (if there are enough female applicants), but from there on, may the best person win.

But what about the 50% of inept engineers already there who are men

2 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

You'd almost have to laugh, just read that Abbott had no contenders for pre-selection to be the lib candidate for Manly in a few months when this government sends us back to the polls.  Despite no one to oppose him he only got 46 out of the possible 91 votes, with 9 informal votes, and the remainder saying they didn't want him as their candidate.

Tones, time to read the tea leaves and sulk off to the budgie factory.

On the other hand, shows how stuffed the party system is, only half of the people vote him in, yet only half of their supporters only want him to run in the first place, so it's somewhere around a quarter of the voters actually want him and he gets to stuff us up for another 3 years.  Same situation with Bill

didnt't scomo win 45 40

They refused to release the numbers (despite Abbott's own “Warringah Motion” promoting democracy and transparency) and the reports seem to change depending who's telling the story.

- Some claim 46-for, 38-against, 9-informal, 93-total... meaning he had less than the 50%+1 required for endorsement.
- Others claim that the informal count was slightly lower, and that he had 55% support.
- Abbot himself claims he had at least 70% support.

Regardless of who's correct, it's revealing that an unopposed candidate has so much lack of support.

It's also reported that when asked if they would like Abbott to give an address on the past year, the response from the floor was "No".

Warringah would never be a Labor seat, but might be open to a "centre-right" independent.

With the choices at the moment, I think there might be 150 seats open to a centralist independent at the moment

• Like 1

Is there anywhere we can watch the Banking Royal Commission online? This seems like the most entertaining comedy in years.

Commissioner:  So you were charging dead people for Life Insurance Premiums?

AMP Boss: Yes.

Commissioner: And do you think that was wrong?

AMP Boss: Yes.

It's straight out of a skit isn't it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Truth!. and regarding White Ribbon, when I worked at a Govt. Department we had a visit from White Ribbon and attendance was compulsory. Near the end one of my male colleagues stood up and asked a question about female violence against men (I''m thinking to myself geez you're game mate haha). Well he was politely but firmly told to STFU basically. I think I'm falling back in love with Bettina 😍

Whoever is advising this PM should probably advise him not to make the Australia Day debate the lasting memory of his short time in office.  

1 hour ago, Riddos said:

Whoever is advising this PM should probably advise him not to make the Australia Day debate the lasting memory of his short time in office.  

I actually think it’s not a bad idea what he has suggested.  

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Prince said:

I actually think it’s not a bad idea what he has suggested.  

If he’s suggesting another public holiday who cares what it’s for, I’m in. :lol:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, roxii said:

If he’s suggesting another public holiday who cares what it’s for, I’m in. :lol:

yep, just get rid of Melbournes grand final and Melbourne cup public holidays to even it out. 

If any sitting Government is putting this issue (indigenous peoples/Australia Day date) on the  political agenda there must be other issues they don't want on the front page. From a political point of view it's a no win situation for anyone. 

5 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

If any sitting Government is putting this issue (indigenous peoples/Australia Day date) on the  political agenda there must be other issues they don't want on the front page. From a political point of view it's a no win situation for anyone. 

Like bullying female party members?

I think they want us to forget that one real quick.

10 hours ago, Mike Del said:

I agree. I think the Libs are going to throw everything but the kitchen sink at voters to try and get elected. pork barrelling will not be far away. 

I just find it funny that like 4 years ago we were in a budget emergency of what seemed like epic proportions, now all's good!  Who was wrong, the LNP with its crisis calls, or the LNP with its crisis averted?  Or is Australia just that good! (I actually do think we're that good, just don't know if we're that good in a that good kinda way).

4 hours ago, Prince said:

I agree. I think the Libs are going to throw everything but the kitchen sink at voters to try and get elected. pork barrelling will not be far away. 

When did pork barrelling ever stop?  Try living in a non-marginal seat and see how much government funding goes your way - state or federal

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mike Del said:

Well ironically the government had some rather good news on the economic front yesterday, so I'm sure the ABC And Fairfax would have been very happy to talk about Australia Day instead

Yep, very very safe conservative seats for me.  Never hear a peep out of my state loyal member, and federal one doesn't do much other than turn up to things. 

13 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Well ironically the government had some rather good news on the economic front yesterday, so I'm sure the ABC And Fairfax would have been very happy to talk about Australia Day instead

Sco-Mo was the one putting it on the agenda and talking about it actually, covered by every paper and network

19 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

exactly. Most polly's always contact the Snr levels in the media to ask for a journo to be sacked. boo hoo ABC. 

1 hour ago, Prince said:

exactly. Most polly's always contact the Snr levels in the media to ask for a journo to be sacked. boo hoo ABC. 

The issue is not that Turnbull asked for Alberici and Probyn to be sacked for giving him and the govt a hard time, that type of response is to be expected for any political journalist doing their job, but that Turnbull's mate and ABC board appointee Milne pursued it, and then pushed to have Guthrie sacked when she wouldn't cooperate. The reasons Milne pushed to sack Guthrie vary between acting in the interest of the govt (Turnbull) to avoiding the govt's ire so that the ABC's funding is not at risk, but either way, the issue is one of the ABC's independence and ability to be critical of the govt, while being funded by the govt.

• Like 2

I'm having Ali France (Potato-Head's Labor rival) around tomorrow afternoon to talk NBN in the area. It'll be interesting to hear what she says. She may not be able to do much in her own right as simply a candidate, but she may be able to draw publicity, and maybe some action from Dutton.

They say timing is everything in politics, which is probably why Hanson-Young's biography is being released just as total fire ban season starts

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Barney wants the Nat leadership back!  I say give it to him, anything to help the LNP lose the election is ok with me.