Rocket Salad

The Politics Thread

Why is Barnaby Joyce like IKEA?

One screw in the wrong place & the whole cabinet falls apart. :)

• Haha 2

Medicare levy rise has been dropped - prepping for a coming election?

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, goughy said:

Medicare levy rise has been dropped - prepping for a coming election?

They wanted to introduce a Medicare levy because they claimed the NDIS was under-funded, but couldn't get it through the senate without agreeing to an income threshold, so now they are not going to introduce it at all, because they've decided that the NDIS is now fully funded... WTF?

There's a budget emergency, Abbott gets in, hockey goes ballistic, next budget suddenly no emergency, don't boot us out.  It just smacks of not taxing everyone more before going to an election.  Never post to tax people more, even if it was needed.

Edited by goughy

And freaking coincidence.....  I say the dirty "E" word and and this turned up in our letterbox today.

Didn't they notice I have a "no junk mail" sticker on my mailbox?  Our maybe they just can't read ;) .  Face it, the sticker is on there to stop this sort of crap, I actually want the shop catalogues :)

IMG_20180426_130513.jpg

they are sneakily spending money towards the election without breaching any rules on spending. once it is announced the dollars are tracked. 

i really hope it is only going to be a 6 week campaign. 

Meanwhile, Andrew #1 has been seen out reserving moving vans for Bills entry into the lodge....

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Prince said:

Meanwhile, Andrew #1 has been seen out reserving moving vans for Bills entry into the lodge....

Is it true they had to order another ten to carry the collection of excuses he'll be needing once there? 

I think every PM seems to have to order another one over the previous incumbent's number as to why their promises during campaign time can't be kept

• Like 1

The current Gov only had 2.

a/ Labour left it in a mess

b/ Labour & the Greens/Independents won't let us.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1

Think there was a bit of "That was Tony, don't talk to me about that" - eg Maternity leave at full pay

At least they learnt from little Johnny not to trot out core and non-core promises

On 22/04/2018 at 7:26 PM, XCOM! said:

I worked in the consumer financial advocacy industry and trust me, the RC hasn't done more than touch the edges of the endemic corruption in the financial sector. The relationships between the banks, govt, asic, the all-for-show ombudsmen, debt-restructuring services (financed by the banks), debt-collectors, at times rival the grassy-knoll levels of conspiracy. Some of the stuff is so outrageous that unless you have actual experience with it you would simply not believe it possible to be true. I came out of that industry very jaded, and don't have much hope for this resulting in anything that will be more than an inconvenience before everyone going back to business as usual.

It staggers me daily reading the reporting coming out of this Royal Commission. Lots of union-bashing going on about the place, but the outright theft and fraud coming out of the financial planning industry is unconscionable. 

• Like 3

And it is often trotted out that the union dirty money is used to fund the Labor party. I wonder who all the dirty money from the top end of town is propping up. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, roxii said:

And it is often trotted out that the union dirty money is used to fund the Labor party. I wonder who all the dirty money from the top end of town is propping up. 

You'll find records show the Pratts, Foxes and the like tend to split their contributions evenly between both sides.  http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-09/political-donations-industry-dataset/8229192 .  Looks as though even the banks directly back both sides of recent times - guess that was money well spent.

The issue I have with union donations is no one tells Pratt or Fox they can't run a business unless they pay their union fees, and then send the money to a political party whether they want to or not.  Or tells an electrician they have to be a union member to work on sites and then send their contributions to the Greens during Dean Mighells Victorian ETU days

• Like 1

Dyson Haydon declines an invitation to go to a Liberal fundraiser - "Boooo!!  Conflict of interest!!"

The head of the biggest and most corrupt union in the country is the brother of Labor's shadow industrial relations minister - "Nothing to see here..."

11 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

You'll find records show the Pratts, Foxes and the like tend to split their contributions evenly between both sides.  http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-09/political-donations-industry-dataset/8229192 .  Looks as though even the banks directly back both sides of recent times - guess that was money well spent.

The issue I have with union donations is no one tells Pratt or Fox they can't run a business unless they pay their union fees, and then send the money to a political party whether they want to or not.  Or tells an electrician they have to be a union member to work on sites and then send their contributions to the Greens during Dean Mighells Victorian ETU days

If we follow that logic, isn't it the same as someone working for BHP (for instance), making them money, but having no choice that the money they made the company goes toward a political party that is limiting that persons wage growth through their policy choices?

I'm not in a union. Never been in a union. But the two scenarios (yours, and my "concocted" scenario) seem similar enough to me.

I'm actually a fan of no donations, but I have no idea how that could work.

9 minutes ago, asmithaxe said:

If we follow that logic, isn't it the same as someone working for BHP (for instance), making them money, but having no choice that the money they made the company goes toward a political party that is limiting that persons wage growth through their policy choices?

That is why we have freedom to vote in who we want, irrespective of any political donations. 

3 minutes ago, asmithaxe said:

My experience in the real world is the businesses like BHP are paying well above award wages to their employees and any government legislation is not going to reduce any wage growth, good try but pretty poor example.  I do follow your logic though and can see that, but ultimately those that are on award wages should not be forced to pay $1K+ in union fees a year for a possible change in government that may give them an additional 10c an hour (and keep Kathy Jackson and Craig Thompson living in a life of luxury and hookers).  If they don't like working for Spotless due to their political donations, they do have a choice to go to any other company paying minimum wages which they would be receiving at Spotless.

The part I'm looking forward to this coming year is who the Melbourne Firefighters union is going to back this Victorian state election now that Dan the man is on the nose with them

19 hours ago, Parkside said:

It staggers me daily reading the reporting coming out of this Royal Commission. Lots of union-bashing going on about the place, but the outright theft and fraud coming out of the financial planning industry is unconscionable. 

When I was working in the industry, on numerous occasions we handed smoking-gun details of unlawful activity (not to mention unethical behavior) by financial institutions, to both ASIC and the two Financial Ombudsmen. Without exception the Ombudsmen (who are an industry-funded self-regulating farce) would declare it outside their terms of reference and dismiss the complaints, and ASIC would declare that it did not meet their requirements of 'public interest' to pursue the matter, and likewise dismiss them.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, XCOM! said:

When I was working in the industry, on numerous occasions we handed smoking-gun details of unlawful activity (not to mention unethical behavior) by financial institutions, to both ASIC and the two Financial Ombudsmen. Without exception the Ombudsmen (who are an industry-funded self-regulating farce) would declare it outside their terms of reference and dismiss the complaints, and ASIC would declare that it did not meet their requirements of 'public interest' to pursue the matter, and likewise dismiss them.

and even if the FPA deems them criminal enough to be deregistered, they don't make findings public. FMD. What a closed shop, protectionist boys club this industry is. Good to see the grubs squirming and fainting on the stand. How about the one trying to defraud a Fairwork Commissioner out of half a mill's super? Comedy gold.

Bob Hawke taken to hospital last night. Hopefully not too serious.

He'd be nearly as old as AP wouldn't he?

Maybe not as fast around an IM, but I bet he'd have a crack at the beer Mile though!

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Bob Hawke taken to hospital last night. Hopefully not too serious.

He'd be nearly as old as AP wouldn't he?

is AP still with us?

9 minutes ago, Prince said:

Good Election winning budget....

I wonder what the LNP's response would have been if LAB had come out with this budget, at a time when Trump appears hell-bent on blowing the whole lot up.

16 minutes ago, Prince said:

Good Election winning budget....

And giving most Aussie workers a tax cut. Of course you'll have to wait until after any election to get that in July next year, and we may change our mind in the meantime. ;)

• Like 1

Looks like Bill's exemplary candidate vetting has resulted in four more Labor MPs facing by-elections...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

And giving most Aussie workers a tax cut. Of course you'll have to wait until after any election to get that in July next year, and we may change our mind in the meantime. ;)

mmm, what will i spend my ten dollars on?.....an extra pool session each week?  two powerades? 

On 22/08/2017 at 11:17 AM, Andrew #1 said:

Shorten, and federal Labor as a whole have made 'all necessary steps too erase any concerns' over citizenship eligibility. In fact, what is clear is that it is the only party to have ion place a comprehensive s.44 vetting process, and has done so for years.

As for 'release the paperwork' shrilling by the LNP and their MSM proxies, why would Labor do that at this stage? The longer this can keeps getting kicked down the road the worse it is for the Governemnt. I also suspect that labor is baiting the Government to take a chance and refer Labor MPs to the High Court 'on a speculator', because then Labor can do a mega dump affidavit with annexures in support, just to illustrate what 'all necessary steps' actually looks like. Then it will really be game, set and match for Canavan, Joyce, Nash, Sudamalis etc ... not to mention providing yet another example of Truffles appalling sense of judgment (Utegate anyone) come in spinner ... 

Hello........

Edited by Prince
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Prince said:

mmm, what will i spend my ten dollars on?.....an extra pool session each week?  two powerades? 

More likely 1/3 of a packet of fags.

2 hours ago, Prince said:

Mmmmm, bacon.

• Sad 1

Tax cut to buy votes, while unemployed are left to fend for themselves and their family by whatever means.

I don't know about other people, but having had recent experience with this, the only way I could survive on $40/day is by exhausting savings, or help from family-friends - and if you don't have access to those, you're f*ed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Looks like Bill's exemplary candidate vetting has resulted in four more Labor MPs facing by-elections...

He should have known he was on a hiding to nothing.

But, damn, why won't this thing die?

How much is the repeated by-elections and High court stuff costing us?

20 minutes ago, Tyno said:

But, damn, why won't this thing die?

How much is the repeated by-elections and High court stuff costing us?

And chances are they'll be announcing an election in the coming months, so these by-elections winners will be sitting for a few months at best before going back to the polls again.

• Like 1

I don't get it. Two days ago Shorten and labour said they opposed the tax cuts as the country couldn't afford them. Then last night they said want to double the tax cuts. This comes on the back of his "rolled gold" claim of labour's vetting process of citizenships.

He has the credibility of a dead cat. 

When did he say we couldn't afford the income tax cuts? It was the "Big Business" tax cuts that far outstripped the income tax cuts that he said we couldn't afford. 

• Like 2

Bill is intending to pay for his income tax cuts with $200 billion in other taxes

As long as those other taxes are hitting Google, Apple, and the like I'm ok with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goughy said:

As long as those other taxes are hitting Google, Apple, and the like I'm ok with it.

I'm not so sure you'll be ok with it then

Unless you have an Andrew-esque devotion to all things Labor, of course

I have an andrew-esque loathing for all things liberal, I guess (I still find their name hilarious considering their politics now days).  Doesn't mean I love Labor, just dislike them less.

• Like 3

Not sure why Morrison didn’t return is to surplus, could have gone down in history rather then pork barrel.  Sad thing is modern politics, does matter what he does now, will be the last month of the next election campaign that decides everything. 

Here’s a great quote on John Howard, the bloke not only punted by the nation but the rare distinction of a sitting PM being punted from his  seat by the people.  People forget how bad Howard was.

“FROM AN SBS INTERVIEW WITH PAUL MURPHY>

Murphy: But can you fund your promises? Are you confident of what treasury has been telling you and Ralph Willis and Mr Beazley?
PJK: When I was the Treasurer, I was the first Treasurer in history ever to  produce a Budget surplus. I produced four of them. Mr Willis has produced this Budget surplus and the Budget, in prospect, for the out-years is in surplus. By contrast, Mr Howard left me, as Treasurer, the equivalent today of a Budget deficit of $ 22 billion.
Murphy: He says you exaggerate that.
PJK: Well it was 4 1/ 2 per cent of GDP. Go and pick up the Treasury  documents from 1983/ 84. 4 1/ 2 per cent of GDP. GDP this year, Paul,  is $ 520 billion. What is 4 1/ 2 per cent of $ 520 billion about  $ 22 billion. 
Murphy: Okay.
PJK: So, in other words, in his sly trickiness he sat mum on the real numbers in the critical days of an election campaign and then left the Government of the day, us, saddled with a $22 billion problem.”

On 12/05/2018 at 7:52 PM, Oompa Loompa said:

Not sure why Morrison didn’t return is to surplus, could have gone down in history rather then pork barrel.  Sad thing is modern politics, does matter what he does now, will be the last month of the next election campaign that decides everything. 

Here’s a great quote on John Howard, the bloke not only punted by the nation but the rare distinction of a sitting PM being punted from his  seat by the people.  People forget how bad Howard was.

Surplus can wait as long as we are spending the money on infrastructure which we need.  It was Labors irresponsible spending that created such a huge deficit.  The first I have ever heard labor even concern themselves with the deficit and use terms such as surplus have been in the past week. 

John Howard is recognised as the last great PM. if only we had leaders like that now. since JH, well, Rudd, Gillard, Abbott and Turnbull. not even in the same class. 

I don't think our recent leaders are anything to write home about, but I don't know if the word "great" is the descriptor I'd use for JH.  

• Thanks 1

Howard was a blight on both the country and his own party, both of which are still having to deal with the damage he caused long after we finally kicked the little f*ker out.

Seriously xcom, don't hold back.  Let us know what you really think? ;)

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, XCOM! said:

Howard was a blight on both the country and his own party, both of which are still having to deal with the damage he caused long after we finally kicked the little f*ker out.

..and how did that work out for you?

11 hours ago, goughy said:

I don't think our recent leaders are anything to write home about, but I don't know if the word "great" is the descriptor I'd use for JH.  

it would appear you may be in the minority. perhaps you believe Rudd may be the "best'.  

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/howard-rates-as-our-best-pm-of-the-past-four-decades/news-story/dd00dc168a97650a77423d3d3270cc9b?sv=2fd23bf94ea6cbbf7142e51060d0a1ff

Edited by Prince

Wow, recognised by an on-line poll of 1007 respondents. Must be great. I wonder how many of them can remember the PM from 4 decades ago? Any Liberal voter is obviously going to say Howard, because who else will they say?

1 hour ago, Prince said:

..and how did that work out for you?

it would appear you may be in the minority. perhaps you believe Rudd may be the "best'.  

I think you need to up your reading and interpretation skills a bit.... maybe it was late at night.  Read what I said again - I didn't even say JH wasn't the best of what we've had of recent times, just that I don't know I'd describe him as great.  Our political leadership of the last, say decade, has been a joke.  Not necessarily just the individuals, but the manner in particular!  I would more so agree with what Ex has said.

gee, you don't have to bash me just because I disagree with xcom, stating that Howard was a 'blight' on the country. he was one of our longest serving PM's so he must have been ok in my books. 

OK Prince, just checking if you're directing that at me??  If so, I wasn't bashing you at all!  Just pointing out that quoting me above kinda indicated that you didn't read my post properly..... that's all.  I wasn't commenting on you and xcom at all.  Just that you took my comment a bit wrong!

• Like 1