johnnyboy212

USADA charges Armstrong - Part 3 - "Admission Oprah Interview"

Has he actually revealed ANYTHING that we didn't already know?

I get the impression he's admitting to the stuff that's bloody obvious and denying anything that's not 100% certain, i.e: complete self-serving spin.

My thoughts are he's not naming names, or giving away too much so that he is left with bargaining chips for his discussions with USADA/WADA. If he drops all the names 7 implicates UCI now, what has he got left to bargain with for a reduced sentence?

• Like 2

agreed - as he said USADA did not speak to him prior to their report being released - USADA either rightly or wrongly had a target and his name was Lance

Seriously mate...

USADA didn't speak to him because he declined their offer to come in & speak.

Lance is not the only one claiming to be clean since 2005 - be fair mate - for the reasons you quote

What are you on about Hilly?

My thoughts are he's not naming names, or giving away too much so that he is left with bargaining chips for his discussions with USADA/WADA. If he drops all the names 7 implicates UCI now, what has he got left to bargain with for a reduced sentence?

Except he has already met Tygart.

Bollocks - that is voodoo science mate

Um... no it isnt.

His Giro blood profile was relatively normal, and he placed accordingly. His hgb lowered the way it should have over a grand tour.

This did not happen at the tour. He finished with a hgb over 10% higher at the tour than he did at the giro. Only one way to do that.

Not that I am saying I believe him 100% - I am very skeptical, but the biological passport stuff was very very sketchy...

According to who?

Um... no it isnt.

His Giro blood profile was relatively normal, and he placed accordingly. His hgb lowered the way it should have over a grand tour.

This did not happen at the tour. He finished with a hgb over 10% higher at the tour than he did at the giro. Only one way to do that.

It is mate. In my job I rub shoulders with the very best forensic scientists around and when asked over a coffee what they think of the science involved in drugs in sports testing they are far from complementary - in a nutshell those involved are willing to go way beyond the limits of acceptable science and are frankly involved in some kind of secular cult.

It is mate. In my job I rub shoulders with the very best forensic scientists around and when asked over a coffee what they think of the science involved in drugs in sports testing they are far from complementary - in a nutshell those involved are willing to go way beyond the limits of acceptable science and are frankly involved in some kind of secular cult.

Nice try.

Nice try.

I don't have time to expand on this mate but it is a house of cards. I am not saying that the biological passport is useless or the science behind it worthless, but there are limitations on its value and in Lance's case those limitations were reached a long way before any rational conclusion of guilt could be drawn...

In the 8 or 9 years I've been reading this site, I have lost count of the amount of threads calling Armstrong a drug cheating bastard and wanting him taken down.

Now, albeit painted into a corner, he admits doping pre cancer and throughout his 7 Tours. Admitted to lying and to bullying, said no one is to blame but himself and acknowledged he has no credibility.

And f-k me, it's not good enough???? He's still lying....... what about... what about....

Geez, some people are hard to please.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition. Or perhaps, Nobodies expect the Spanish Inquisition.

• Like 3

Now, albeit painted into a corner, he admits doping pre cancer and throughout his 7 Tours. Admitted to lying and to bullying, said no one is to blame but himself and acknowledged he has no credibility.

And f-k me, it's not good enough???? He's still lying....... what about... what about....

And for those same 8-9 years there have been people who've believed all his lies and argued and argued that he's clean. They were wrong to believe him then, so why should they now believe that he's told the whole truth? This was billed as the big confession, so why shouldn't people expect him to stop lying?

Or should people go back to being gullible idiots, happy to believe his every word now that he's confessed to doping?

I'd contend these very best forensic scientists you rub shoulders with would not be in the same league as Michael Ashenden when it comes to identifying blood dopers. Professionals in all fields get jealous of each other.

In the 8 or 9 years I've been reading this site, I have lost count of the amount of threads calling Armstrong a drug cheating bastard and wanting him taken down.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition. Or perhaps, Nobodies expect the Spanish Inquisition.

So he didnt bully people and threaten them if they did "get with the program" ?Give me one reason i should believe Lance over the other people who have said this is so!

I just want him to be truthful in his admissions. He lied several times in that interview and showed virtually no remorse, because he has none, not even just for the doping but for the people with far greater morals and integrity than himself who he deliberately crushed over the last 20 years.

Didn't Lance say he thought there was no way someone clean could win the tour? But then he decides to make a comeback and stay clean? Rightyo.

Farker was still doping in tris last year too I reckon. Leopard doesn't change his spots. No way he was working with Ferrari andnpaying him big bucks in the lead in to Tris last year for advice on how leaning on the coffee table would help him stay aero for longer. And after training with dope for so long those gains mean he should stay banned for life. Which after this I am sure he still will be.

Edited by niseko

- Lance might sue her for what she has just said about him???

That DOG is in no position to 'sue' ANYONE!!

In my opinion...

I just want him to be truthful in his admissions. He lied several times in that interview and showed virtually no remorse, because he has none, not even just for the doping but for the people with far greater morals and integrity than himself who he deliberately crushed over the last 20 years.

You can't WANT him to be anything other that what he IS. How can you expect a habitual lier NOT to lie - it's what they do.

If the guy was capable of REMORSE than he probably wouldn't have been so deceitful for his whole life.

Just accept what he IS.

I see this whole thing as more of a study of a sociopath and I certainly don't take any of what he's done personally.

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more.

A decent interviewer loves it when lied to. Thats why you have two parts to any interview. Their take where you go along with everything then part two the Challenge Phase.

If Oprah is any good every question in the next one should be started with .

1. Earlier you said .............

2. Well we have evidence that .......... happened.

3. Explain that for me.

Somehow thats why Oprah was chosen for the interview it wont be that hard hitting.

That DOG is in no position to 'sue' ANYONE!!

In my opinion...

My gosh I hope you're joking otherwise you've hit the top of my list for the crappiest comment in Tranny's history.

Lance has taken his first baby steps towards empathy, responsibility, accountability, and personal redemption. Very new territory for him.

I think he did ok. As TC said - he was never going to be completely honest. He doesn't know how to do that yet. Biggest positive for me was the comment that George is still his great mate. Mightn't seem much but huge redeeming feature in the humanity stakes. Can't be that bigger f-kwit if he can still have mates through all this.

Sport in general will be better off for this saga and he knows it. Big bargaining chip.

IMO this is motivated be being overwhelmed with conflict - and - he needs to do Kona.

I suspect that in the process he will find much more important tangibles like honour, trust, and integrity.

• Like 1

Didn't Lance say he thought there was no way someone clean could win the tour? But then he decides to make a comeback and stay clean? Rightyo.

Farker was still doping in tris last year too I reckon. Leopard doesn't change his spots. No way he was working with Ferrari andnpaying him big bucks in the lead in to Tris last year for advice on how leaning on the coffee table would help him stay aero for longer. And after training with dope for so long those gains mean he should stay banned for life. Which after this I am sure he still will be.

I hope you pronounced that 'Lay-o-pard'

Only time I've ever watched Oprah :)

At least no tears from Lance. Said something akin to 'I deserve it' in terms of his fall. Not sure he would still agree if winds up in prison, as did Marion Jones. Still a sense that he thought he was singled out.

Couldn't help but think Truman Show like theme. TdF and more generally professional sport for entertainment, with inevitable conclusion. Just like the amateurs warned.

Edited by longshot

And those people were correct.

It's blatantly obvious what is going on. Armstrong wants back in. Everything he is doing is to try to get to compete again & show us all just how awesome he is.

He is in prison at the moment - serving the ultimate penalty for a narcissist. I am not sure he has anything to offer USADA/WADA. Floyd & Tyler have already given up the info on beating the tests.

He must be kicking himself that he didn't come forward when USADA invited him in for a chat... he would still have 5 tours, and would already have served his suspension.

Only time I've ever watched Oprah :)

At least no tears from Lance. Said something akin to 'I deserve it' in terms of his fall. Not sure he would still agree if winds up in prison, as did Marion Jones. Still a sense that he thought he was singled out.

Couldn't help but think Truman Show like theme. TdF and more generally professional sport for entertainment, with inevitable conclusion. Just like the amateurs warned.

the tears will come tomorrow when questioned about his kids and his mum - no doubt about that.

As others have said though, this has been as frank an admission as any could expect, and I partly believe that Oprah was probably the best choice after all. She's obviously not as hard-hitting as those who are braying for blood would want But she's disarming. A Tygart-type of interview would have been too confrontational which may not have revealed as much information as what we've now seen. This is not the last interview we'll see. The blood will come later now that this first step has been taken.

Edited by miners

Lance has taken his first baby steps towards empathy, responsibility, accountability, and personal redemption. Very new territory for him.

I think he did ok. As TC said - he was never going to be completely honest. He doesn't know how to do that yet. Biggest positive for me was the comment that George is still his great mate. Mightn't seem much but huge redeeming feature in the humanity stakes. Can't be that bigger f-kwit if he can still have mates through all this.

Sport in general will be better off for this saga and he knows it. Big bargaining chip.

IMO this is motivated be being overwhelmed with conflict - and - he needs to do Kona.

I suspect that in the process he will find much more important tangibles like honour, trust, and integrity.

I like that you can see the positive in people, but Lance is a fully formed human. There is no changing him. Honestly - in some ways I feel sorry for him, because he just can't help it.

I have plenty of interviews of his at home post cancer (1997-8) where he says that the illness changed him, made him more humble etc.. Doesn't sound like it to me.

I bet Hincapie cringed when Lance said that. I would have thought that when you are trying to build a clothing company, the last thing you would want is to be associated with Armstrong.

And for those same 8-9 years there have been people who've believed all his lies and argued and argued that he's clean. They were wrong to believe him then, so why should they now believe that he's told the whole truth? This was billed as the big confession, so why shouldn't people expect him to stop lying?

Or should people go back to being gullible idiots, happy to believe his every word now that he's confessed to doping?

I have always been in his Corner. And admit to being wounded after hearing his admissions. I cannot recall ever claiming he didn't dope (someone with time on their hands can trawl my old posts and trip me up). But numerous times asked for proof over speculation. The right to be innocent until proven guilty. Even with hindsight I would do this again.

That which is claimed without proof can be dismissed without proof.

Now he has admitted it, I'll accept it. In fact I accepted it when the report came out.

I just don't get why his admission is not good enough. And why I am a gullible idiot for wanting proof and not accepting unsubstantiated internet chatter and speculative journalism.

So he didnt bully people and threaten them if they did "get with the program" ?Give me one reason i should believe Lance over the other people who have said this is so!

Not sure I get this. They lie and when caught out and try to salvage what they can, they are telling the truth. But when Lance lies is caught out, and tries to salvage what he can, he is still lying?

He said, she said. A bit like Lindy and the Dingo. We'll never really know for sure.

Fair point about wanting him to be truthful in his admissions.

Genuine questions. What did he lie about in the interview? And how do you know?

Is anyone doing any work today?

Yes mate have been outside covered in King Gee's top to toe with helmet and gloves.

And missed the Lance interview!

Edited by nealo

I bet Hincapie cringed when Lance said that. I would have thought that when you are trying to build a clothing company, the last thing you would want is to be associated with Armstrong.

I'm not so sure. While the name is unlikely ever to be directly associated with anything cycling related, Lance is still revered by a good many people the world over because of Livestrong primarily. But also for those believers who consider that no matter what lies were told, he was still the best cyclist of a tainted peloton. I suspect this interview will only generate new-found, or reinforced respect for some.

Nick, you have remained steadfast about your views on Lance and his drug taking. Well done. I know u copped some flak for that but stayed solid.

I don't so much see the positives in lance. It's more that people go through stages in life. Sometimes we manipulate and make insidious decisions that can seem like selling your soul. Many of us are guilty of that. The context in which he chose to take peds is one none of us can really understand. I'm sure he is paying a huge price for that.

I just hope lance, his children, his friends, and sport in general recover.

I don't believe in the death penalty.

I meant to split into Part 3 before the interview but got here a bit late for that.

It's easier for me and it's the third chapter of the Armstrong saga anyway.

Some serious 'Trev'ing of the thread yet again.

Lol - why won't you let this thred get to 2000 posts Trev? The Internet deserves it!

Edited by Andrew #1

I meant to split into Part 3 before the interview but got here a bit late for that.

It's easier for me and it's the third chapter of the Armstrong saga anyway.

Trev, cmon.. These threads need, and are worthy of at least 100 pages!

When it's complete I can merge them all back together for the Transitions book of Lance.

Chapter 4 :- The UCI (heads of) take down.

Chapter 5 :- The New Beginning.

Chapter 6 :- Really?? another doping syndicate :blink:

Sequel :- Inside the Ferrari workshop.

A breakaway series :- Peurto.

• Like 3

My gosh I hope you're joking otherwise you've hit the top of my list for the crappiest comment in Tranny's history.

I think you've read it the wrong way around. The suggestion was that Armstrong woudl sue Betsy, ergo the DOG is Armstrong, not Betsy.

Nick, you have remained steadfast about your views on Lance and his drug taking. Well done. I know u copped some flak for that but stayed solid.

I don't so much see the positives in lance. It's more that people go through stages in life. Sometimes we manipulate and make insidious decisions that can seem like selling your soul. Many of us are guilty of that. The context in which he chose to take peds is one none of us can really understand. I'm sure he is paying a huge price for that.

I just hope lance, his children, his friends, and sport in general recover.

I don't believe in the death penalty.

Thanks.

In particular, I agree with the children bit. They must be going through a tough, tough time.