johnnyboy212

USADA charges Armstrong - Part 3 - "Admission Oprah Interview"

ANyone got a link to watch on line? Do I just need to use a proxy server

cyclingnews are also covering it, although I think it's text coverage not video.

Thursday 17 Jan, 9PM PT in the USA

I think that is today 4pm EDST. Can anyone confirm please?

1pm sydney according to Discovery Channel Program guide and its being aired on Oprah.com at the same time

Surely the basic motivation of the interview is to feed the public a few confessional bread crumbs & just get the mainstream press & public of his back. The guy obviously wants to be free to come & go from his home without being stalked by media & to get on with his life.

Clearly his attitude towards the anti- doping bodies hasnt changed and he wont be playing ball with them anytime soon. I think he has reasoned that once he makes a basic public admission to doping he will have given the press the money shot they were after, public interest will have peaked and thereafter begin to wane.

Edited by hanging lake

I heard he had an earpiece in for the interview, with advisors giving instructions.

"Lance - a normal person would go quiet & possibly start crying at this point - stop laughing"

• Like 1

I think the Lance video will be available for all countries, it said on the press release that the interview would be streamed worldwide...

other than that the easies way is with http://unblock-us.com

Irony - unblock-us.com is blocked on our network :)

You can always sign up using your phone and follow their instructions to make it work.

I don't know if you will be able to change DNS records though, it depends on the computer / access level you have at work.

To me, Merckx, hinault, etc need to be looked at in a slightly different light that post 1992 athletes in that, yes they were all doping, however they were the ones deserving the wins as they were the strongest riders out there.

Before I type what I am about to I should make it clear that I do not condone doping in any way and hope all involved get what they deserve.

To address the point you made about Merckx etc - Do you not believe that Lance was still the best out there at the time?

i think that if all these blokes were 100% clean then Lance would have still won, maybe not seven, but a couple at least (but will never know for sure). It was clear that he was a sporting freak a long time before he won TDF. it has been said a lot that there was so many riders doping that it was essentially a level playing field, so take the drugs away and it still becomes a level playing field, with Lance at the top.

Despite my disgust about the drug use, i still think Lance was the best cyclist of the era and the tours of the time were the most entertaining to watch.

I do hope to see the house of cards come crashing down so cycling can start the very long road to redemption.

• Like 4

Before I type what I am about to I should make it clear that I do not condone doping in any way and hope all involved get what they deserve.

To address the point you made about Merckx etc - Do you not believe that Lance was still the best out there at the time?

i think that if all these blokes were 100% clean then Lance would have still won, maybe not seven, but a couple at least (but will never know for sure). It was clear that he was a sporting freak a long time before he won TDF. it has been said a lot that there was so many riders doping that it was essentially a level playing field, so take the drugs away and it still becomes a level playing field, with Lance at the top.

Despite my disgust about the drug use, i still think Lance was the best cyclist of the era and the tours of the time were the most entertaining to watch.

I do hope to see the house of cards come crashing down so cycling can start the very long road to redemption.

Wow..... An article from Paul kimmage back in 1999 http://www.independent.ie/sport/reserving-the-right-to-applaud-403806.html suggesting he wasnt that great Tour Rider pre needle in his arm and there are results to back this up....

i think that if all these blokes were 100% clean then Lance would have still won, maybe not seven, but a couple at least (but will never know for sure).

so take the drugs away and it still becomes a level playing field, with Lance at the top.

The thing is we will never know.

Lance reportedly did so many other things to win, apart from doping, that it wasn't really a level playing field.

It's the other things that I dislike the most.

I can understand an individual being caught up in taking drugs if everyone else was doing it.

It would take an enormous amount of will and determination to go against the flow.

However, to bully and harass other riders (and their partners) who were a threat (or who didn't co-operate) is what I think is a true showing of his character.

If Lance had beaten everyone that was also on drugs by only taking better drugs, then I don't think so many people would dislike him so much.

• Like 2

No it wasnt clear that Lance was a sporting freak well before he won the Tour. Phil Anderson said as much about his time with LA at Motorola. We will never truly know who the best grand tour rider of his era was because it wasnt an even playing field and only those prepared to cheat ruthlessly got a chance on one of the big teams. LA was on one, if not the best resourced team with easy access to the best drugs & he filled his team with the best climbers who were all on the same doping program. It was also well know that he when a competitor threatened his dominance he intimidated them personally & dobbed them into his mates at the UCI. Would Armstrong have won 7 tours if everyone was riding paniagua? Nope. Would there have been different faces in the peleton & on the podiums if clean riders were welcome on teams & in the peleton? Yep.

While I think he would certainly have won a couple/few TdF titles, given the focus on them and the team he had around him, I would certainly not say he was the best rider of the era.

No it wasnt clear that Lance was a sporting freak well before he won the Tour. Phil Anderson said as much about his time with LA at Motorola. We will never truly know who the best grand tour rider of his era was because it wasnt an even playing field and only those prepared to cheat ruthlessly got a chance on one of the big teams. LA was on one, if not the best resourced team with easy access to the best drugs & he filled his team with the best climbers who were all on the same doping program. It was also well know that he when a competitor threatened his dominance he intimidated them personally & dobbed them into his mates at the UCI. Would Armstrong have won 7 tours if everyone was riding paniagua? Nope. Would there have been different faces in the peleton & on the podiums if clean riders were welcome on teams & in the peleton? Yep.

nearly all that is you your opinion which is not even close to being somewhere right.

Do you not believe that Lance was still the best out there at the time?

Nope, I don't believe in the slightest that he was the best out there regardless of PED use.

One tiny little thing that makes this a flawed argument is that not all riders were using PED's. Therefore it was not a level playing field (disregarding available PED's and quantities used by those that did use).

What about guys like Sylvain Chavanel, Sandy Casar, David Moncoutie, Stephane Goubert, Cadel Evans etc. who've not a had a hint of anything untoward who finished quite well up in the GC during their time in the Armstrong reign?

Youo could also question just how much did these particular guys target the GC when they'd know they couldn't beat the charged up riders. Bar Evans, I'd say generally those guys hung on in hope and stage hunted through breakaways.

I think those "level playing field riders" (ie:PED users) very few of them would have had the results that they achieved if it not for PED use. The top 10 GC riders would likely have been vastly different.

nearly all that is you your opinion which is not even close to being somewhere right.

Have you not been following the Armstrong saga?

I've read plenty of articles (and interviews) that cover what HL is refering to.

• Like 1

My previous post was probably too long and lost focus of what I was trying to say so I will try again.

Merckx and Lance should not be looked in different ways - they both competed outside the rules and now nobody will ever know if they were in fact the best at the tours they won.

That's all I was trying to say.

What makes Lance worse is the other stuff he did - bullying, supply etc.

• Like 1

Youo could also question just how much did these particular guys target the GC when they'd know they couldn't beat the charged up riders. Bar Evans, I'd say generally those guys hung on in hope and stage hunted through breakaways.

Valid point. I think.

Are you suggesting that these riders, barring Evans weren't even trying to win the tour? I would think they all started the tour with hopes of winning but later abandoned the idea because of how the others were performing.

Admits to using blood doping, EPO and testosterone (nothing else) for the Tours he won.

Denies any use during for come back 3 in 2009 & 2010. Not questioned over blood doping indicators during those years though.

Admits to using blood doping, EPO and testosterone (nothing else) for the Tours he won.

Denies any use during for come back 3 in 2009 & 2010. Not questioned over blood doping indicators during those years though.

Can't help himself, can he..?

Why are they having a short break in the interview??? It's only been going 15mins!

It's Television, Not many programs would go any longer than 15mins without an add break.

Well Tyler Hamilton who everyone seems to put so much creedence on his evidence says himself , on Competitor radio from memory , that Lance without drugs would still have won all 7 and that Lance was the best rider of his time with or without PRDs - not my view Donncha, Johnyboy , CC et al = thats Tyler Hamiltons view

What do u think TrevS..is he telling all the truth?

Part truth I tend to think.

The winning at all costs type of traits I'd say full truth, but methods part truth, not full disclosure (compared to witness statements etc.) and "conservative" doping program. I'd call the only truth in that is that there was a doping program, I doubt conservative at all. But then he said conservative compared to East Germany in the 80's.

My wife thinks she's picked up his tell! When he looks to his bottom right (bottom left of screen). I think it's when he opens his mouth.

• Like 2

Denies Vande Velde's statement of having to confirm to the doping program.

Very believable as Van der Velde went on and doped with ANOTHER TEAM

Yes I agree TrevS...he didn't want to go into details about the methods used & how doping was organised & done during the TdF stages...I wonder why he wouldn't reveal that???

Well Tyler Hamilton who everyone seems to put so much creedence on his evidence says himself , on Competitor radio from memory , that Lance without drugs would still have won all 7 and that Lance was the best rider of his time with or without PRDs - not my view Donncha, Johnyboy , CC et al = thats Tyler Hamiltons view

May have been the best of his time if all rode clean (personally I don't think so), but no way riding clean there's not a bad day or two in the hills across those 7 tours that costs a GC win or two.